Xtra News Community 2
April 20, 2024, 08:19:39 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

When animals go bad

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When animals go bad  (Read 3832 times)
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« on: February 18, 2009, 05:27:36 pm »

A man is undergoing surgery after he was savaged by a "large cat" at Whangarei's Zion Wildlife Gardens today.

Whangarei Hospital emergency department clinical director Scott Cameron said a man was currently undergoing surgery after being bitten on the knee by the animal.

"He has been admitted to the hospital, his condition is stable and he is presently in theatre."

The man was admitted to the hospital this afternoon.

It is the second attack at the park this year.

A Scottish teenager was left scarred for life, while she was working at the park in April, when Timba, an African white lion, sunk his teeth into both her hands.

The zoo operator "Lionman" Craig Busch and the woman, Lisa Baxter, were both criticised by a Department of Labour Occupational Safety and Health investigation.

Ms Baxter was guiding a group of visitors when she put her hands through a hole in the fence designed for television cameras to stroke a cub.

But the department also rebuked Mr Busch for failing to notify the authorities of what it called a serious workplace injury.

Mr Busch keeps both lions and tigers at the park.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10557455&ref=rss
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 05:28:37 pm »

Chimp shot dead after mauling woman

A 200-pound domesticated chimpanzee which once starred in TV commercials has been shot dead by police after a violent rampage that left a friend of its owner badly mauled.

Sandra Herold, who owned the 15-year-old chimp named Travis, wrestled with the animal, stabbed it and hit it with a shovel after it inexplicably attacked her friend Charla Nash.

The 55-year-old victim had gone to the home in Stamford to help her friend coax the chimp back into the house after he got out, said police. After the animal lunged at Ms Nash when she got out of her car, Ms Herold ran inside to call authorities and returned armed with a knife.

Stamford Police Captain Richard Conklin said: "She retrieved a large butcher's knife and stabbed her longtime pet numerous times in an effort to save her friend, who was really being brutally attacked."

Ms Herold told police the knife had no effect and that she had also struck Travis with a shovel.

Ms Nash was in critical condition following surgery for what Stamford Mayor Dannel Malloy called "life-changing, if not life-threatening," injuries to her face and hands.

Cpt Conklin said it is not known what triggered the attack, but chimpanzee had been suffering from Lyme disease "so maybe from the medications he was out of sorts".

Travis ran away after the initial attack but returned and went after several police officers, who retreated into their cars.

An officer shot Travis several times after the animal opened the door to his cruiser and started to get in.

"The animal had cornered him," said Cpt Conklin. "He had no other recourse."
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
bump head benny
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 05:51:11 pm »

What? the last we heard Busch had been given the sack and some other flash in the pan wannabe had taken over, and even then i told yaz  the lions would have  ago at the new guy, quite frankly I think this story sucks.

Report Spam   Logged

Lets kill all the warmongers.
k1w14ever
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 06:15:36 pm »

animals should not be stuck behind  cages.  It is about time these animals got there revenge, 
Report Spam   Logged

The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder.
Shef
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 06:59:25 pm »

When are these idiots going to realise that these aren't cute wee pets they are wild animals!  Obviously the stupid bint couldn't handle her 200lb chimp, which they are describing as domesticated.

If she was going to keep the animal, perhaps she should have thought about keeping and using a tranquiliser dart/gun.
Of course the damn thing will freak out when it has been stabbed with a kitchen knife and bashed with a shovel.
Report Spam   Logged

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 07:03:21 pm »

Croc tests confirm fate
The 4.3m croc responsible for the death of five-year-old Jeremy Doble will be sent to a crocodile farm or zoo.

The EPA says the 4.3m crocodile, which was last night confirmed as the animal responsible for the death of Jeremy Doble in the Daintree River, will not be released to the wild.

It will be sent to a crocodile farm or zoo, but will not be put on public display.

In a statement to the media, the EPA expressed its deepest sympathy for Jeremy's family and friends.

He was last seen while walking near floodwaters with his elder brother Ryan, 7, on the morning of February 8.

It is believed he wandered into the swollen river chasing after his pet dog when the crocodile attacked.

The crocodile was caught on February 12 in a floating trap about 2km from where the boy disappeared.
http://www.cairns.com.au/article/2009/02/18/29151_local-news.html
Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 01:36:12 pm »

Bull escapes ring in Mexico, collects woman
New 2:19PM Thursday Feb 19, 2009

MEXICO CITY - A woman is recovering from injuries she suffered when a bull escaped from a bullfight and trampled her in the parking lot of an arena in western Mexico.

Television footage shows the bull, named "The Indian," bumping open the gate of the ring with his snout and taking off into the parking lot.

Matadors on foot and horses caught up with the bull and herded it back into the ring using their capes and colorful barbed sticks known as banderillas.

The animal was later killed during Tuesday's bullfight, which took place in the western Mexican city of Colima.

Local newspapers reported Wednesday that the woman is a veterinarian for one of the bullfighters and that she is recovering.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10557632&ref=rss
Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 01:38:29 pm »

The frantic owner of a 90-kilogram chimpanzee that went berserk in Connecticut pleaded with police over the phone to help her stop the animal from mauling her friend, begging them: "Hurry, please! He ripped her face off." Police...

Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

AnFaolchu

100th (Gordon) Highlanders 1794

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 03:38:06 pm »

It always astounds me when I've read posts on boards concerning child abuse cases, someone will always say these animals (the humans who have committed the heinus (sp) crime) need to be locked away, hanged, shot etc and someone will always say something along the lines of don't call them animals, thats unfair to animals, animals would never do anything like that to their offspring, animals love and nuture their young etc.

I then have to shake my head in wonder and think man they have no idea what they are talking about.

I have seen ewes drop their lambs and just walk away, I've seen sows eat their litters... sometimes alive, I saw one once that just walked around the paddock one wet spring day dropping her litter as she went, she didn't even acknowledge them... just kept on eating. I've even seen cows kill their new born calves.
Report Spam   Logged
bump head benny
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 04:05:45 pm »

So???

Report Spam   Logged

AnFaolchu

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 04:18:43 pm »

BTW before I get some idiot claiming it, I am by NO means justifing child abuse, IMHO I think they Child abusers should be locked away for good at the minimum
Report Spam   Logged
AnFaolchu

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 04:22:21 pm »

So???

So I've seen animals go bad just like humans
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 05:20:30 pm »

The blessing is, Anfaol, there are less than acceptable members of both groups.
Report Spam   Logged

beaker
Senator
Part-Of-The-Furniture Member

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 11:36:59 am »

There's been so many other cases of pet chimps attacking owners etc.  These people raise the chimps like people completely forgetting that they are still animals and wonder why their "children" suddenly behave like animals.

Listening to talk back this morning, the host was astounded that this women bathed, shared wine and slept with the chimp.  Sounds like she wasn't all there........
Report Spam   Logged

This job is a test . . . It is only a test . . . Had this been a real job . . . it would have come with raises, promotions and other signs of appreciation!!!
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 12:52:39 pm »

I heard them say on the radio this morning that there are 15,000 primates 'domesticated' in the USA.
They are looking at removing them all now  Shocked

Where the hell will they put them all - and supposing some of them are genuinely attached to their owner - sounds like SYPHS knocking on the door  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

AnFaolchu

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 01:32:15 pm »

I heard them say on the radio this morning that there are 15,000 primates 'domesticated' in the USA.
They are looking at removing them all now  Shocked

Where the hell will they put them all - and supposing some of them are genuinely attached to their owner - sounds like SYPHS knocking on the door  Grin

Good Lord... only that many Americans are 'domesticated'  Huh Roll Eyes Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Brownie55
Global Moderator
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

OK, so what’s the speed of dark?

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 01:36:13 pm »

I wonder what happened to Bubbles.
Report Spam   Logged

I almost had a psychic boyfriend, but he left me before we met.
Shef
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 01:40:06 pm »

I thought he got run over - or was that an urban myth. Anyways he's got kids now, he doesn't need the chimp anymore  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.
bump head benny
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 03:44:24 pm »

But the worst one is when baddies go bad
 Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2009, 02:09:01 pm »

8-legged vandal floods aquarium
New 2:06PM Friday Feb 27, 2009

SANTA MONICA - An octopus pulled open a valve in its tank at the Santa Monica Pier Aquarium and flooded the facility with hundreds of gallons of sea water.

Staff arrived at work on Tuesday morning to find their offices soaked.

They quickly traced the problem to the aquarium's resident two-spotted octopus, a tiny female known for being curious and gregarious with visitors.

The octopus apparently tugged on a valve and that allowed water to overflow its tank.

Aquarium spokeswoman Randi Parent says no sea life was harmed by the flood, but the brand new, ecologically designed floors might be damaged by the water.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10559103&ref=rss
Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2009, 08:13:19 pm »

Komodo dragon climbs ladder, attacks Indonesian man

A KOMODO dragon has climbed a ladder to get into a wooden hut, lunging at a ranger and slicing open his foot as he tried to strangle the beast.

Indonesian ranger Main considers himself lucky to have survived the attack, in which the dragon's razor-sharp teeth lacerated his hand and foot, London's The Sun newspaper reports.

The terrified victim was sitting at his desk when the beast crept inside.

Screaming for help, he leapt on top of his desk clutching the neck of the still-snapping reptile on Sunday.

Daniel Ngongo, a Komodo National Park official, said the man was attacked on Rinca, Indonesia, one of three islands where the world's largest lizard can be found in the wild.

The victim received severe injuries but was said to be doing well.

Poisoning

Nurse Adi Palguna, said: "He seems to be recovering.

"He's been on antibiotics for the last three days, and there's no sign of toxin poisoning."

The 46-year-old victim, Main, released his grip on the scaly creature and fled out the window as colleagues raced to his aid and used wooden sticks to force the dragon outside.

Main, who like many Indonesians uses only one name, received more than 30 stitches, but appeared to be recovering.

"I'm lucky I survived," Main said from his hospital bed on nearby Bali island.

"Nothing like this has ever happened to me ... in 25 years on the job. I've never been attacked."

Attacks on humans by Komodo dragons are rare.

In 2007, they attacked and killed an eight-year-old boy on Komodo island, in the first recorded deadly attack in 33 years.

The beasts can grow up to 10ft long and weigh as much as 150lbs. They have shark-like serrated teeth and a bite can be deadly.

The reptile's saliva contains roughly 50 different known bacteria strains.

The reptiles, believed to number less than 4,000, can only be found in the wild on the eastern Indonesian islands of Komodo, Padar and Rinca.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2271749.ece
Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2009, 12:31:17 pm »

Chimp victim loses hands, face

NEW HAVEN, Connecticut - Hospital officials in Ohio say a Connecticut woman mauled by a chimpanzee two weeks ago lost her hands, nose, lips and eyelids and may be blind and suffering brain damage.

The Cleveland Clinic said that 55-year-old Charla Nash also lost the bone structure in her face when she was attacked on Feb. 16 in Stamford, Connecticut.

The clinic revealed the specific injuries on Wednesday for the first time.

Nash remains sedated in the hospital, which performed the first US face transplant in December. Hospital officials say it's too early to know if she will be a candidate for a face transplant.

The 91-kilogram chimp was shot and killed by police. Police are still deciding whether its owner, Sandra Herold of Stamford, will face criminal charges.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10560139&ref=rss
Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2009, 04:39:10 pm »

Home invasion: 'There's a 'roo in my room'

CANBERRA - When a dark intruder smashed through his bedroom window and repeatedly bounced on his bed, Beat Ettlin was initially relieved to discover it was a kangaroo.

"My initial thought when I was half awake was: it's a lunatic ninja coming through the window," the 42-year-old told The Associated Press on Monday. "It seems about as likely as a kangaroo breaking in."

But his relief was short-lived. Moments later, he heard his 10-year-old son Leighton Beman scream from bed: "There's a 'roo in my room!"

"I thought: This can be really dangerous for the whole family now," Ettlin said.

The extraordinary ordeal for the family of four began at 2 a.m. Sunday in their house in the upmarket Canberra suburb of Garran.

Ettlin, a chef originally from the Swiss city of Stans, wrestled the thrashing and bleeding 90 pound (40 kilogram) marsupial out the front door.

"I had just my Bonds undies on. I felt vulnerable," he said, referring to a popular Australian underwear brand.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10560757&ref=rss
Report Spam   Logged

bump head benny
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2009, 05:57:06 pm »

Oooooo....vulnerable is right, those back feet claws can rip em right off they reckon.
(sharp intake of breath at the mere thought of it)
 Lips sealed
Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2009, 10:51:13 am »

http://www.youtube.com/v/ACULcDxPuB0

Fish
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: