Xtra News Community 2
April 16, 2024, 10:40:32 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Plant ID

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plant ID  (Read 827 times)
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« on: February 01, 2010, 03:22:58 pm »

Got this from a garage sale for $2.

I will get some pics of it up soon.

Its got a bulb like an onion, green shoots out of it.  When I got it it was dry, I watered it, the green shoots (leaves)??  went soggy  Shocked  I watered a lil more - soggier still.  In the sun - wilting - back inside by a window, high up, not watered for weeks.  Green shoots vibrant - good colour - bulb good health, lil baby one on the side.  But it was growing AWAY from the light.  So I turned it round (warning everyone - the 'leaves' are hanging over the cupboards - please be careful)  Angry  Next day MrL took it down to show someone, the leaves were caught in the cupboard doors and broke off!!

Not the growing bit - its growing well still - but with shorter 'leaves'.

Any thoughts on what it is?
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 01:31:01 pm »

No thoughts eh?  Does this help?
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 12:55:53 am »

without accurate size of pot or bulb ID for starters I'd say pot is too small, bulb could be an amaryllis or hymenocallis probably rootbound
Amaryllis leaves die back in summer then flower stalks appear. Best outside in garden
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 11:01:13 am »

The leaf reminds me of a hyacinth but...

I can come up with a long list of what it isn't.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 08:18:58 pm »

hmm hyacynth - I will check them out tomorrow .. too tired right now.

But the water thing .. it really is affected by it.  I'll water it tomorrow and take pics again.
Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 09:58:54 am »

Its not a hyacynth - the leaves are too thin - as hyacynths are thick to hold water more.

Ive watered it quite heavily this morning .. will wait and see what happens  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Biggles
Getting The Hang Of It

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 02:37:08 pm »

Its not a hyacynth - the leaves are too thin - as hyacynths are thick to hold water more.

Ive watered it quite heavily this morning .. will wait and see what happens  Roll Eyes

I've just now looked in on this site and may be able to assist in this topic.

Lovelee.............has the bulb bloomed yet?

I am a collector of rare bulbous plants from around the world and have been a member of the International Bulb Society since the late 70s.
Nitpicker could be correct. The bulb could also be Hippeastrum, Sprekelia, Vallota Lily [Cyrtanthus sp].

Biggles, Prime

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: