Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 08:42:05 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Flop Crops

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flop Crops  (Read 821 times)
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« on: January 31, 2010, 05:58:10 pm »

After a great success last year I planted pumpkins to train across the front yard again.

They are still the same size as when I planted them. Huh

I planted them where I grew the potatoes last year in fresh compost.

It seems that pumpkins and potatoes are bad companions.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 10:09:03 am »

Are they bad companions SP?  Cos yer doing them one after the other.

There is a lot of talk around about failing crops this year - not just what people have bought as seedlings or seeds, fruit trees too  Undecided

We grow a german pumpkim for the seeds - we make salad oil from the seeds, you cant eat the flesh. Tasteless, fodder for cows.  They are in the same place this year - not doing too badly.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
ssweetpea

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 11:07:00 am »

To the flop list I will add Wando Peas.

The peas on the 3 plants that I grew were really sweet and tasty but I must have sown 20 seeds 4 times to get that many plants Angry

Tomatoes are looking to be added as well.

I have a dozen plants and should be inundated with tomatoes even thought I planted them a month later than usual due to the cold spring.

There are tomatoes but they haven't ripened yet and there is not much more than a double hand full.

Mum is having the same problem with hers.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 08:23:06 pm »

You got plenty of bees and bugs to move things around .. have you noticed bees around?
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
ssweetpea

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 08:43:29 pm »

You got plenty of bees and bugs to move things around .. have you noticed bees around?

Bugger all in the way of bees. Bumble Bees aren't around much and I have seen one honey bee in my garden in the last month. That is not unusual since verroa.

I did have a wasp nest near the vege patch and there are plenty of other bugs around.

I have had to use digital control on caterpillars on the tomatoes. The green vegetable bugs and passionvine hoppers are sticking to the peas and beans so far.
Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 09:55:32 am »

Honest SP .. do yourself a favour and have a listen to the gardenning show on saturday morns, Radio live.

A lot of the stuff is general knowledge stuff - they have been trying to get to the bottom of why this is happening.
Report Spam   Logged

ssweetpea

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 01:01:42 pm »

Another flop crop - Cauliflower var Cheddar.

This is an orange cauliflower and this is my second attempt.

Last year I got no heads at all, possibly planted too late or in too shady a spot.

This year I planted them in late Feb with broccoli and broccoflower.

The heads on all three are smaller than usual but the broccoflower was edible and I am still picking broccoli shoots. This Cauliflower did form tiny heads this year but they were so bad they weren't worth picking.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: