Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 03:28:01 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

FISH: No longer the affordable family dish!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FISH: No longer the affordable family dish!  (Read 1097 times)
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« on: January 17, 2010, 02:40:44 pm »

Kiwis battered by fish prices

FISH: No longer the affordable family dish!

By LOIS CAIRNS - Sunday Times Age | 5:00AM - Sunday, 17 January 2010

NO LONGER THE FAMILY DISH: Fish prices are soaring.

TOO EXPENSIVE: Fish prices are soaring.

RUNAWAY FISH PRICES that have seen snapper fillets reach almost $50/kilogram are due to Australia's growing appetite for Kiwi fish, experts believe.

Demand across the Tasman, where the economy was far less battered by the recession than in New Zealand, is soaring for the catch from New Zealand's in-shore fisheries, which includes such species as tarakihi, groper and sole. Recent prices spotted in shops around the country include snapper for $49.95/kg, sole for $25.95/kg, blue cod for $35.95/kg and salmon for $33.99/kg.

Nearly 90% of New Zealanders eat fish at least once month, but nutritionists recommend eating at least two servings of seafood per week. For many, though, the rising cost of fish means eating seafood on a more regular basis is not affordable.

Five years ago Statistic New Zealand figures showed a kilo of gurnard could be bought in fish shops for around $18.40. Last week fillets of gurnard were selling in supermarkets for around $22 a kilo. Snapper, which was priced at $28.75, in 2005, has been selling for as much as $49.95 a kilo, although the price last week had dropped to $32.95 at some outlets.

By comparison, skinless chicken fillets cost $23 a kilo, lamb steaks are $26, and even such luxury meat cuts as beef eye fillet go for around $40 a kilo.

A Christchurch fish retailer who did not want to be named because of the commercial sensitivity around pricing said another reason fish prices were soaring was that the quota system had affected availability. As catch quotas were cut to give fishery stocks time to recover, fewer fish were available for the domestic market — this pushed prices up.

"Fish prices have definitely gone up, but so too have meat prices. We do get people coming in and reminiscing about the days when they could get a sack of oysters for just a few bucks, but those days are long gone. Like everything, fish prices have been steadily creeping up. You can still get some good buys when fish are in season, but if you're trying to buy out of season then you will have to pay big money."

New Zealand's 1100-plus commercial fishermen fish more than 130 different species around our 15,134km coastline and within the 4.4km exclusive economic zone (EEZ) — the fourth largest EEZ in the world. The volume of fish they can catch is determined by their annual catch entitlement (ACE), which is reset on October 01 each year. The volumes are controlled to prevent over-fishing and ensure the resource, which has an annual value of nearly $4 billion, is managed sustainably.

The Seafood Industry Council's trade and information manager Alistair Macfarlane told the Sunday Star-Times that Australian demand was a significant factor affecting fish prices. "We sell a large proportion of the inshore fish New Zealanders value to Australia, and Australia's economy has been very resilient throughout the recession — it's barely skipped a beat."

Macfarlane said while there was a perception that fish was expensive, that was not necessarily the reality: "If you price fish as filleted fish and look at it alongside skinned boneless chicken, there is not that much difference for say a fish like tarakihi or gurnard. They're very close in price."

Tony Basile, who owns the Wellington Trawling Company, said there had been a big jump in fish prices about a year ago because of the increased cost fishermen were facing for diesel, but prices had remained fairly stable since.

The price people paid for fish in the shops reflected the high costs associated with fishing. "In some species, the actual lease of the quota is approximately 50% of what they get paid for the fish. Out of the other 50% they have to pay for their diesel, their fuel, their running costs, their crew and the whole operation," said Basile.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sunday-star-times/news/3235250/Kiwis-battered-by-fish-prices
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

robman
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 04:54:14 pm »

Must've happened in the last few weeks, snapper was only $23 a kg last time we bought some in December..
Report Spam   Logged

I once thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 07:54:35 pm »

I wouldnt give ya tuppence for any fish that has been in the fridge for more than a day or frozen.  Theres not a lot of fresh fish shops around now, people still come to Kawhia and are disapppointed cos they cant get fresh fish in the hundreds of restaurants we have.

The local flounder netters have a house on the harbours edge where they sell their catch.  I bought 8 dinner plate sized flounder from them this morning for $20  Grin  YUMMMM cant wait for breakfast!
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Magoo
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 07:38:02 am »

I bought 8 dinner plate sized flounder from them this morning for $20  Grin  YUMMMM cant wait for breakfast!
I thought it was illegal to sell your catch.   There was a report of a man near here that had his boat and gear confiscated for taking $10 for a few fish.
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 01:01:39 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 12:02:25 pm »

I bought 8 dinner plate sized flounder from them this morning for $20  Grin  YUMMMM cant wait for breakfast!
I thought it was illegal to sell your catch.   There was a report of a man near here that had his boat and gear confiscated for taking $10 for a few fish.

Yes you are dead right .. it is illegal to sell your catch, unless you have a license to do so.

I had a whole John dory and chips this morning .. fresh .. cost $8.50 with chips and salad .. yummm  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Magoo
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 02:59:29 pm »

Very noice indeed.         The guy I was talking about apparently took a mate out in his boat, they halved the catch and someone saw his mate give him $10 toward the cost of the petrol and was charged with selling fish.      I think that stinks.  It was on Stuff but I can't be jiggered looking for the link now.
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 04:00:59 pm »

Yep cant even do that.

Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Justic
Global Moderator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 06:11:16 pm »

Very noice indeed.         The guy I was talking about apparently took a mate out in his boat, they halved the catch and someone saw his mate give him $10 toward the cost of the petrol and was charged with selling fish.      I think that stinks.  It was on Stuff but I can't be jiggered looking for the link now.

That sounds like a pretty dodgy charge that you could fire bullets through Magoo. 

Hope they challenged it.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 06:23:49 pm by Justic » Report Spam   Logged

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
Magoo
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 06:33:17 pm »

Hi Justic.              I found the link http://www.stuff.co.nz/taranaki-daily-news/news/2428354/MFish-called-Gestapo-over-10-gurnard

I don't know if there has been any follow up on this to date.       
Report Spam   Logged
Justic
Global Moderator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 07:11:02 pm »

Interesting Magoo, but I supsect there is more to the tale than what is reported there.

Sounds like a lawyer trying to minimise a penalty with little real defence to me.
Report Spam   Logged

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 11:10:33 am »

Thats happened quite often Justic - we hear about it down here off an on.

Its like buying beer for your next door neighbour, and him giving you the money when you get home - you cant do that - its selling alcohol  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: