Xtra News Community 2
April 16, 2024, 09:51:20 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Hood Aerodrome — the next airshow

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hood Aerodrome — the next airshow  (Read 2666 times)
Crusader
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2012, 01:33:40 pm »

bet this aint coming .......

Fully laden Russian IL-76 Jet departing Australia , using  ALL  of the runway and then some !!!

We had one of those aircraft chartered by the UN to fly us to East Timor. I remember that flight well. The overhead compartments came undone as we were taxing down the CHCH airport runway, spilling our luggage on top of us. The seats also went forward as well as backwards. Typical UN going with the cheapest.

In Solomon Islands, the same organisation was used again to transport personnel and cargo in. One day, the pilot managed to get his wing stuck between wooden pillars holding up the verander of the terminal. They had to chain saw one of the pillars just so the aircraft could get out.

At the end of the runway, the aussie army had tents erected and that aircraft used to clip them every time it came in. Those stupid aussies never learnt the lesson and as soon as the tent came down, they would put it back up in the same spot. However you can't hassle them too much. After all they are decendants of criminals so probably lack a proper thought pattern.
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2012, 12:21:34 pm »

A video-clip & slide-show from last Saturday's Anzac airshow held at Hood Aerodrome, Masterton by The Vintage Aviator Limited, showing a pair of reproduction Fokker D.VIII Razorback fighters powered by Oberursel rotary engines (reverse-engineered from an engine borrowed from the Smithsonian), including flying in formation with other reproduction Fokker fighter-planes....

Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2012, 02:19:31 pm »

War warriors huge airshow attraction

By AMIE HICKAND - Wairarapa Times-Age | 9:12AM - Monday, April 30, 2012

COCKPIT SEAT: Englishman Michael Perry climbs aboard an F2B Bristol fighter with chief pilot Gene de Marco.
COCKPIT SEAT: Englishman Michael Perry
climbs aboard an F2B Bristol fighter with
chief pilot Gene de Marco.

SPECTATORS flew from the other side of the world to see the Anzac WWI Airshow at Hood Aerodrome in Masterton on Saturday.

The event showcased one of the best collections of WWI aircraft in the world, according to organisers.

Michael Perry and his brother, Alan, of Nottingham, England, landed in New Zealand on Saturday morning, before Michael was whisked away on a F2B Bristol fighter with chief pilot Gene de Marco.

In their spare time, the brothers make models for director Peter Jackson, who has a home in Masterton.

Organiser Sara Randle said there was a "phenomenal" turnout of about 1500 spectators. Some waited in the rain for about two hours for the show to start once the gates opened.

"We're really happy with the number of people that turned out. To come and sit for two hours in the rain for the airshow to start is really amazing."

She said the vintage aviator collection had a great reputation overseas, and people came from Australia and England specifically for the show.

"It was just incredible," she said.

http://www.times-age.co.nz/news/war-warriors-huge-airshow-attraction/1362420
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2012, 02:27:47 pm »

Vintage planes put on a show

By PIERS FULLER - Wairarapa News | 9:28AM - Wednesday, 02 May 2012

UP, UP, AND AWAY: One of the Vintage Aviator's World War I aircraft buzzes the crowd at the Anzac Air Show at Hood Aerodrome. — Photo: Fairfax Media.
UP, UP, AND AWAY: One of the Vintage Aviator's World War I
aircraft buzzes the crowd at the Anzac Air Show at
Hood Aerodrome. — Photo: Fairfax Media.

DESPITE early heavy rain on Saturday, the Vintage Aviator's Anzac Air Show at Hood Aerodrome attracted about 1200 visitors.

Organiser Sara Randle says they've had amazing feedback from the show, with visitors coming from overseas just to see the extraordinary collection of World War I aircraft and machinery as well as a collection of vintage race cars.

"The phone is just going off the hook right now from people who have come out to see it. I think we're starting to get a reputation now and people understanding what we've got here and how unique it is. It's starting to feel pretty good actually.

"It's a bit of a shame that the weather put a bit of a dampener on the crowds that came out but we still had an amazing turnout."

The Vintage Aviator created five new aircraft reproductions last year, all with original engines, and these were a big drawcard. The next Vintage Aviator event is the Remembrance Day Air Show on November 10.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/local-papers/wairarapa-news/6841673/Vintage-planes-put-on-a-show
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2012, 08:30:39 am »

Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2012, 08:31:16 am »

Fierce warrior takes to skies again this weekend

By NATHAN CROMBIE - Wairarapa Times-Age | 9:37AM - Tuesday, November 06, 2012

FIERCE FIGHTER: The World War I Albatros DVa aircraft complete with a startling face on its fuselage will be one of four new aircraft that will be flown at the Remembrance Day Airshow at Hood Aerodrome on Saturday. — NATHAN CROMBIE/Wairarapa Times-Age.
FIERCE FIGHTER: The World War I Albatros DVa aircraft complete with a startling face on
its fuselage will be one of four new aircraft that will be flown at the Remembrance Day
Airshow at Hood Aerodrome on Saturday. — NATHAN CROMBIE/Wairarapa Times-Age.

A reproduction fighter plane sporting the fierce scowl of an angry warrior will be one of four World War I aircraft debuting at the Remembrance Day Airshow at Hood Aerodrome on Saturday.

Airshow organiser Sara Randle said the warrior face graces a reproduction Albatros DVa aircraft flown in those colours, linked to Royal Prussian Jagdstaffel 5, or Jasta 5, fighter ace Fritz Rumey.

"We don't know why that image was chosen but we imagine it is an African warrior and the angry face was meant to intimidate enemy pilots," Ms Randle said.

The Vintage Aviator collection of original, reproduction and replica World War I aircraft take to the Masterton skies on Saturday in commemoration of Remembrance Day, the signing of the Armistice that ended the Great War.

Ms Randle said more than 20 World War I aircraft will be featured at the airshow, in a series of mock dogfights and handling displays.

There also will be debut flights by a pair of 1916 Sopwith Pups, with original 1916 Le Rhone rotary engines, and a 1916 Royal Aircraft Factory RE8.

The show will feature barnstorming acts from between-the-wars aircraft types as well and a display by the Old Stick and Rudder Company's World War II Curtiss P-40 Kittyhawk.

The airshow runs from 1-6pm on Saturday and entry costs $20 per adult, $10 for children aged up to 17, and a family pass for two adults and two children for $50.

Children under five years of age are free.

• For bookings and more information go online to TheVintageAviator.co.nz.

http://www.times-age.co.nz/news/fierce-warrior-takes-to-skies-again-this-weekend/1610810/
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2012, 07:49:09 am »

A perfect day, weatherwise, in Masterton today.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Vintage-Aviator-Collection/130953866975871

Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2012, 11:12:29 am »

There were 24 WWI-era aeroplanes along the flight-line at Hood yesterday, plus a few later aircraft at the peripheries of the line.

All of the WWI aeroplanes were displayed in the air with the exception of the two Sopwith Pups. It was quite lumpy above about 200 feet so the decision was made to not display the Pups in that turbulence due to their 80hp rotary engines and marginal performance, however the decision wasn't taken until near the end of the display when they were scheduled to be flown.

The real highlights for me were the latest Albatros D.Va (flying in formation with TVAL's first Albatros), and the two F.E.2b in the air together.

Here are some photographs of the newbies along the flight line, including the new Albatros, two Sopwith Pups, the new F.E.2b and the R.E.8 Harry Tait:

Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2012, 11:13:18 am »

Here are a series of photographs taken about fifteen minutes before the flying began, showing the flightline and crowd.

As you can see, TVAL mini-airshows are a relaxed affair, with nice small crowds and no over-the-top security.

From left to right, the 24 WWI aeroplanes along the flightline were:

Fokker Dr.I
Fokker Dr.I
Fokker Dr.I
Fokker D.VII
Fokker D.VIII
Fokker D.VIII
Pfalz D.III
Albatros D.Va
Albatros D.Va
Nieuport 11
Bristol F.2b
Sopwith Triplane
Sopwith Camel
Sopwith Pup
Sopwith Pup
F.E.2b
F.E.2b
R.E.8
B.E.2c
B.E.2f
S.E.5a
S.E.5a
S.E.5a
DH.5

I'm still working through my images of the flying display, culling out the rubbish photos, then I'll select some good ones to downsize and eventually post into this thread, hopefully within a day or two.
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2012, 11:13:38 am »

Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2012, 11:14:00 am »

Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2012, 11:46:05 am »

Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2012, 08:19:42 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2012, 08:21:57 pm »

Okay, this one is a wee bit out of place. However, at most TVAL WWI airshows, they drag one of the WWII fighters out of the adjacent hanger and display it halfway through the airshow just for a bit of variety. Although painted in the colours of the Chinese National Air Force Flying Tiger Squadron, this particular P-40 Kittyhawk served with No.40 Squardron RNZAF in the Solomon Islands during WWII. No.40 Squadron was formed at Hood Aerodrome and the Kittyhawk in question was one of the aeroplanes the squadron worked up on before flying them up to the islands. This aeroplane was flown in the Solomons by the highest-scoring British Commonwealth air ace in the Pacific, Geoff Fisken, otherwise known as the Wairarapa Wildcat.

Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2012, 08:59:52 pm »

Look at all those bloody Fokkers sneaking up on Hood Aeroplane....

Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2012, 05:02:09 pm »

Some awesome footage taken in Wairarapa on the evening of Friday, 9th November 2012....

Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2012, 11:52:15 am »

Rare Mosquito confirmed for airshow

Mosquito confirmed for Wings Over Wairarapa

The Dominion Post | 10:53AM - Tuesday, 04 December 2012

MAGNIFICENT: The de Havilland Mosquito was built in 1945 and is the one of its kind still flying.
MAGNIFICENT: The de Havilland Mosquito was built in 1945 and is the one of its kind still flying.

A ONE-OF-A-KIND Mosquito fighter bomber will take to the skies next year to headline the Wings Over Wairarapa airshow.

The de Havilland Mosquito has been confirmed for the January show, where it will take pride of place as the feature display aircraft.

Originally built in Canada in 1945, the aircraft is the only one of its kind currently flying.

Airshow director Tom Williams said securing the Mosquito was a major coup for the event.

"The Mosquito was one of the fastest operational aircraft in World War II and the only one to be constructed almost entirely of wood."

"Its significance to World War II history is not to be underestimated."

The Mosquito — nicknamed "The Wooden Wonder" — first flew in November 1940, and was faster than the Spitfire with a top speed faster than 600km/h.

Its versatility meant it was used in daytime tactical bombing, high-altitude night bombing, and photo reconnaissance.

"The legendary Mosquito has a fond place in the hearts of Australian and New Zealand airmen, with about 250 aircraft being built in Australia during the war," Mr Williams said.

The Mosquito is owned by American Jerry Yagen, and took seven years to rebuild at Ardmore Aerodrome.

It will line up alongside 12 other de Havilland aircraft at the event, including an early World War II biplane, a DH5, and a Vampire Jet.

More than 70 aircraft in total will be shown.

The biennial airshow will be held at Masterton's Hood Aerodrome at Wellington Anniversary Weekend, January 18th to 20th, 2013.

Tickets are available through Ticketek.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/wairarapa/8032622/Rare-Mosquito-confirmed-for-airshow
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2012, 09:28:31 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

akadaka
Part-Of-The-Furniture Member

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2012, 06:12:47 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=9dR3h2HdnBQ

not exactly on topic here but at 3.55 is amazing ww2 fighter pilots view in action
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 06:30:15 pm by akadaka » Report Spam   Logged

Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2012, 06:18:10 pm »

If you modify that post and bracket the YouTube URL with [ url ] and [ /url ] (just remove the four spaces I inserted into there so it will display in this reply) at either end of the URL; and remove the “_popup” from the middle of it, it will display as a formatted video clip window in that post.
Report Spam   Logged

akadaka

« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2012, 06:32:16 pm »

sorry mate i am thick as pig shit with this stuff....i tried the url thingy but no luck....feel free to have a "fiddle" if ya want Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2012, 06:59:38 pm »

sorry mate i am thick as pig shit with this stuff....i tried the url thingy but no luck....feel free to have a "fiddle" if ya want Grin

I can't....I'm not a moderator in this messageboard, so I have no edit tools for anyone's posts except my own. But I can repost it with the URL edited in order to make it display, and some additional formatting to give the option of opening it in a larger size.

Or CLICK HERE to view the video-clip in a larger-sized format.
Report Spam   Logged

akadaka

« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2012, 08:39:15 pm »

nice one cheers Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2013, 05:18:31 pm »

Wings over Wairarapa manager steps down

Wairarapa News | 1:42PM - Wednesday, 03 April 2013

MOVING ON: Wings Over Wairarapa airshow event organiser Liz Pollock at Hood Aerodrome, Masterton.
MOVING ON: Wings Over Wairarapa airshow event organiser Liz Pollock at Hood Aerodrome, Masterton.

AFTER the success of this year's Wings Over Wairarapa air show in Masterton, event manager Liz Pollock has decided to step down from the position.

Ms Pollock, who moved to the Wairarapa and began managing the biennial air show held at Hood Aerodrome at Wellington Anniversary weekend fulltime in 2005, has helped build the event into one of New Zealand's premier air shows.

"Following the phenomenal success of this year's Wings Over Wairarapa air show, I've decided it's an appropriate time to hand over the reins to someone else," Ms Pollock said.

"I've been privileged to see the event grow and mature over the years and to meet and work with some extraordinary people."

"I've also had a glimpse into the fascinating world of aviation and, will always look back on these years as a very special time in my career. However, it is time to for me to explore other opportunities."

Wings Over Wairarapa air show director Tom Williams, who has been involved with the show since its inception in 1975, said Ms Pollock's contribution to building the event had been invaluable.

"Liz has achieved all that we required and much more since she first took on the event manager's position in 2005. She has grown the event with each subsequent air show so that the range of display aircraft, entertainment and food, visitor parking and traffic management have all improved year on year."

"This is largely as a result of Liz's experience and professional management."

"The Sport and Vintage Committee, who have worked very closely with Liz, wish her every success for the future."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/local-papers/wairarapa-news/8501797/Wings-over-Wairarapa-manager-steps-down
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2013, 12:25:38 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: