Xtra News Community 2
April 20, 2024, 07:09:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

TOBACCO

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TOBACCO  (Read 3639 times)
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« on: January 02, 2010, 10:31:53 pm »

Smoking tax rise explored by Government

By MARTIN JOHNSTON - The New Zealand Herald | 4:00AM - Saturday, January 02, 2009

Health officials have advised Tariana Turia on tax increases to stop young people from buying cigarettes. — Photo: Brett Phibbs.

Health officials have advised Tariana Turia on tax increases to stop young people from buying cigarettes. — Photo: Brett Phibbs.

Associate Health Minister Tariana Turia last year spoke supportively of tobacco tax increases in a speech that has put pressure on the Government on a range of tobacco policies.

She said that increasing the tax was "worth exploring if we are genuine about wanting to prevent uptake" of smoking.

As campaigners step up the pressure on ministers this year through a parliamentary select committee inquiry into smoking among Maori, the Herald has examined the likely outcomes in a three-part series starting on Monday.

The Government will not say whether tobacco taxes will rise this year or discuss the likely size of an increase. Health Minister Tony Ryall refused to be interviewed for the series and Mrs Turia's staff referred inquiries to the ministry.

However, acting deputy director-general Ashley Bloomfield said officials had advised Mrs Turia on a tobacco tax rise.

"No final decisions have been taken, but it's something that's definitely being considered. We do know there's good evidence that increasing the price ... does affect smoking rates. Young people are particularly sensitive to increases in price."

The excise tax on tobacco was last increased above the rate of inflation in 2000.

Smokers spend about $1.6 billion a year on tobacco, of which more than 1 billion is excise tax and GST.

Last year, the excise tax was around $6 for a $10 pack of 20 cigarettes, but because it is levied by tobacco content rather than per cigarette, roll-your-own smokes, which tend to be thinner, are in effect taxed more lightly than factory-made cigarettes.

Yet rollie smokers have been shown in research to suck out 28 per cent more smoke per cigarette, potentially putting them at even greater risk of smoking-related diseases.

The excise tax is increased annually in line with the consumers price index.

Smokefree campaigners have long pushed for a rise above the CPI and a double increase on loose tobacco, to bring thin rollies into line with factory-made cigarettes — and they appear to have Mrs Turia's support.

"Tax is one of our core strategies," said the Smokefree Coalition's director, Prudence Stone. "When the tax goes up, consumption goes down immediately. We need to have a schedule of tax increases up to 2020 that prices tobacco out of more and more wallets."

Smokers aged 18 or 19 are equally likely to smoke rollies or factory-mades. But those aged 15 to 17 are significantly more likely to smoke rollies than factory-mades, mainly because they are cheaper, ministry surveys show.

In the younger group, more than 40 per cent report being supplied by family members or friends, while 60 per cent said they bought tobacco themselves. The legal age to be sold tobacco is 18.

The coalition and its member groups are calling for radical policies to "denormalise" tobacco and accelerate the decline of smoking. They will urge the Maori Affairs select committee tobacco inquiry to agree.

Around 20 per cent of adults and 12 per cent of Year 10 students smoke regularly, but the rate of decline has slowed and the Maori and Pacific rates are still significantly higher.

A rising percentage of young people have never had a puff, which it is hoped will flow through into reduced adult smoking.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/martin-johnston/news/article.cfm?a_id=110&objectid=10618088
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Newtown-Fella
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 03:04:39 am »

cigarettes have risen in price by 30 cents per packet from 1/1/10 .....
Report Spam   Logged
Magoo
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 03:40:26 am »

Makes mental note to talk to himindoors about patches. Roll Eyes

http://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-times/news/3201481/Tobacco-prices-upTobacco prices up
By SAM McKNIGHT and NZPA - The Southland Times
Last updated 05:00 01/01/2010

Smokers might have an extra incentive to follow their New Year's resolution of giving up with tobacco prices increasing overnight.

The latest increase is part of the annual rise in duty excise tax for tobacco which took effect from midnight.

A New Zealand Customs spokesman said that the tobacco companies had been notified about the tax increase about six to eight weeks ago.

However, it was up to them to absorb the costs or pass it on to retailers.

But it appears the companies have been quick to offload the costs.

Invercargill's Lollie Shop owner Neil Thomas said a packet of cigarettes was going up 1 cent per smoke on average but it varied between different brands.

Some brands were increasing as much as 50c while others about 20c, Mr Thomas said.

Loose tobacco was increasing by between 20c and 40c depending on volume, he said.

Meanwhile Quitline is bracing for a surge of people fulfilling New Year's resolutions to stop smoking.

The Quit Group chief executive Paula Snowden said last January almost 7000 people signed up with the free service to quit smoking, compared with 4000 the year before.

Of course the price hike will only be on new stock I suppose.   Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 03:47:00 am by Magoo » Report Spam   Logged
guest49
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 06:00:50 am »

I smile whenever I hear the government piously stating the increase in taxation is merely for the good of those citizens affected.

I do smile a lot.........
Report Spam   Logged
Magoo
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 06:33:05 am »

Smokers spend about $1.6 billion a year on tobacco, of which more than 1 billion is excise tax and GST.
Of course it is Yak.  Of course it is.   Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
Calliope
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

If music be the food of love, play on

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 07:39:06 am »

I guess the next step will be to make tobacco a "pharmacy only" drug. You will then have to find a doctor prepared to prescribe the stuff.
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 07:47:42 am »

LOL if they were serious about tackling the problems tobacco gives they would put the price up, instead of dabbling around with a few cents!!

If they were serious they would assist smokers into moving to being non smokers.  The subsidies on patches (which can be obtained for free) and the gum are just a laugh.  Patches can be smoked over quite easily .. and the thought of chewing gum laden with nicotine is sickening - compared to sucking smoke into my lungs  Grin  If they were serious they would be heavily supporting those who are finding their health affected or just want out of the addiction of tobacco.

The new drug .. umm zantac (I think) I heard yesterday that its supported by Pharmac .. now thats the one thats touted to be able to do the job for those who have a serious addiction to tobacco.  Originally designed in the UK for alcohol & heroin it has been found to be perfect for any addiction.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Brownie55
Global Moderator

OK, so what’s the speed of dark?

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 08:30:14 am »

I guess the next step will be to make tobacco a "pharmacy only" drug. You will then have to find a doctor prepared to prescribe the stuff.

Never happen!
Report Spam   Logged

I almost had a psychic boyfriend, but he left me before we met.
Calliope

If music be the food of love, play on

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 09:10:38 am »

Never happen!

Never say Never.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 09:48:46 am »

Grow your own. Seriously growing tobacco isn't that hard.

LOL if they were serious about tackling the problems tobacco gives they would put the price up, instead of dabbling around with a few cents!!

If they were serious they would assist smokers into moving to being non smokers.  The subsidies on patches (which can be obtained for free) and the gum are just a laugh.  Patches can be smoked over quite easily .. and the thought of chewing gum laden with nicotine is sickening - compared to sucking smoke into my lungs  Grin  If they were serious they would be heavily supporting those who are finding their health affected or just want out of the addiction of tobacco.

The new drug .. umm zantac (I think) I heard yesterday that its supported by Pharmac .. now thats the one thats touted to be able to do the job for those who have a serious addiction to tobacco.  Originally designed in the UK for alcohol & heroin it has been found to be perfect for any addiction.
err...I don't think you have that drug name right

What does my Zantac do?
Zantac is mostly used to:
* treat stomach and duodenal ulcer disease (also known as peptic ulcer),
* stop these ulcers from coming back,
* treat reflux oesophagitis (also known as reflux).
These problems are caused, in part, by too much acid in the stomach. This can lead to pain such as heartburn. Zantac works by reducing the amount of acid in the stomach. This reduces the pain and also allows the ulcer and reflux to heal.
Zantac is also used to treat:
* Zollinger-Ellison disease,
* scleroderma oesophagitis.http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcmed.nsf/pages/gwczantb/$File/gwczantb.pdf
 Wink

I believe they are dabbling with the idea of massively increasing the tax on tobacco, yesterday's (?) increase was only the annual let's-keep-the-tax-relative-to-inflation increase.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 10:11:03 am »

Yah I didnty think I had it right .. I think it sarts with a zee LOL
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
guest49
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 10:24:54 am »

Its actually very easy to stop smoking - I've done it dozens of times!

I have been successful twice.  once I stopped cold-turkey.  That was bloody hard.  Not for nothing is tobacco considered more addictive than heroin.
That lasted ten years before starting again.  After another ten years, I stopped again, this time using patches.  They were bloody marvellous - really worked well. 
No matter what method you use, you will not succeed until you really want to stop.

You will note I dont use the term '"given up."  I have stopped.  Given my previous, I could well start again - unlikely, but its happened in the past.

I recommend the patches for those who really want to stop.
Report Spam   Logged
AnFaolchudubh

Faugh a ballagh!

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 11:54:41 am »

I have been successful twice.  once I stopped cold-turkey.  That was bloody hard.  Not for nothing is tobacco considered more addictive than heroin.

thats almost (if not) a contradiction in terms!
Report Spam   Logged

Stupid people are not an endangered species so why are we protecting them
R. S. OhAllmurain
guest49
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 12:07:01 pm »

thats almost (if not) a contradiction in terms!

Nope - Its easy to stop.  Ah, but stayng stopped...... now theres the trick!
Report Spam   Logged
Im2Sexy4MyPants

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 01:09:15 pm »

I think politics is an addictive drug that needs to have a heavy 200% tax placed on it to discourage power hungry freaks taking control of every aspect of our lives.

Any male who wants to be a politician or in government should have at the least one of their balls cut off with a rusty knife or crushed with a hammer while no pain killers are allowed.Then we will all know how much they want the job and wonder why.
Report Spam   Logged

Are you sick of the bullshit from the sewer stream media spewed out from the usual Ken and Barby dickless talking point look a likes.

If you want to know what's going on in the real world...
And the many things that will personally effect you.
Go to
http://www.infowars.com/

AND WAKE THE F_ _K UP
Im2Sexy4MyPants

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010, 02:23:59 pm »

I think they are just trying to cash in on the addicted smoker's to pay off their part of the national debt before they die.

Our Government profit from pushing and taxing the worlds most dangerous and addictive drug.
They all should be lined up and given the death sentence  Shocked

« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 03:38:32 pm by Im2Sexy4MyPants » Report Spam   Logged

Are you sick of the bullshit from the sewer stream media spewed out from the usual Ken and Barby dickless talking point look a likes.

If you want to know what's going on in the real world...
And the many things that will personally effect you.
Go to
http://www.infowars.com/

AND WAKE THE F_ _K UP
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 12:10:38 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2010, 09:38:48 am »

Outdoor smoking ban promoted

NZPA | 8:20AM - Friday, 05 February 2010

SMOKING BAN: The Auckland health service wants the law banning indoor smoking at workplaces extended to playgrounds, outdoor eating areas, beaches, the area outside buildings, cars when a child under 16 is present, public transport stops and pedestrian malls.

SMOKING BAN: The Auckland health service wants the
law banning indoor smoking at workplaces extended to
playgrounds, outdoor eating areas, beaches, the area
outside buildings, cars when a child under 16 is present,
public transport stops and pedestrian malls.

Having a puff on a cigarette at the beach may become a thing of the past under a proposal to ban smoking in many outdoor areas.

The Auckland Regional Public Health Service will urge tougher measures in a submission to the Maori affairs select committee's inquiry into the tobacco industry and the effects of tobacco use on Maori.

Public health campaigners say they want to make it easier for the Government to adopt radical measures to make New Zealand smokefree within 10 years by focussing the debate on tobacco.

The Auckland service wants the law banning indoor smoking at workplaces extended to playgrounds, outdoor eating areas, beaches, the area outside buildings, cars when a child under 16 is present, public transport stops and pedestrian malls, The New Zealand Herald reported today.

Beach Smoking Ban

From January 01 Auckland University became a smoke-free campus, including areas once designated as smoking areas which it said would allow staff and students to work and study in a healthier, cleaner environment.

The latest proposals would reduce smoking opportunities for workers and bar patrons, forced outside or onto the street by the smokefree environments law.

A tax increase on tobacco may be considered in this year's budget, said Prime Minister John Key.

Already many local authorities have banned smoking in areas used by children, such as playgrounds, sports fields and beaches.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/3296287/Outdoor-smoking-ban-promoted

Kiwis want cigarettes banned by 2020
Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2010, 12:09:56 pm »

Grin
Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2010, 06:50:21 am »

The Auckland Regional Public Health Service will urge tougher measures in a submission to the Maori affairs select committee's inquiry into the tobacco industry and the effects of tobacco use on Maori.

Strange isn't it that in society while smoking decreases, violence and obesity appear to increase?

Unexpected and unwanted results of social engineers?

Some smokers admit they smoke when under stress, have a smoke or a toke instead of a row or a meal and lose weight.

UMMMMMM    how many obese people are smokers/tokers?

Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2010, 11:26:44 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2010, 12:39:49 am »

Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2010, 12:40:05 am »

Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2010, 12:40:37 am »

Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2010, 03:15:43 pm »

Click on this cartoon to open another Smoking thread at XNC2.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: