Xtra News Community 2
April 20, 2024, 10:32:13 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

drug possession

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: drug possession  (Read 1487 times)
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2010, 04:19:31 am »

meanwhile, back on the topic:

Aussie trade union official in Bali jail claims drugs planted
 Deborah Cassrels From: The Australian
January 01, 2010 12:00AM

I AM going to die in here," gasped Robert McJannett, from his tiny, cramped cell at Polda police headquarters in Denpasar, Bali, yesterday. Leaning towards the bars, Mr McJannett, who was arrested at Bali's airport on Monday night allegedly carrying 1.7g of marijuana in his suitcase, appeared like a caged animal as he jostled for space with two other men.

"I have Meniere's disease, diverticulitis and hepatitis C and they took my medication away when I was arrested. I call out for help but they don't bring it," said Mr McJannett, who also claimed to have ear and throat infections.

The latest Australian to be detained under Indonesia's stringent drug laws, Mr McJannett, 48, will be held and interrogated at Polda for up to 20 days before being charged. If his cell becomes overcrowded he will be transferred to Kerobokan jail.

Mr McJannett was visited by Australian consular officials yesterday. He said his Indonesian lawyer, Andre, was working on a case for deportation on humanitarian grounds. "We're hoping they'll deport me, because I'm so ill."

He also says authorities may not be able to lay charges because the drugs were planted in his luggage after he left Perth airport. Bali police claim the entire drug weight of 2g includes a plastic ziplock bag.

"There is no way they would have made it through Perth airport -- they were put into a sock, then into a large metal sleeve which resembled a bomb. That set the X-ray off. I would have been stopped at Perth security."

The Perth crane operator told The Australian he suspected union officials of setting him up.

Bali police claim the socks in which the drugs were allegedly secreted carried the Bonds brand. "I wear Adidas," said McJannett.

He arrived in Bali with his adult son -- who was searched -- on a Virgin Blue flight from Perth. A backpack inside his suitcase allegedly carried the drugs and his medication. "The drugs were put in my bag, it was all deliberate. I've lived and worked in Malaysia and Singapore. I know what the drug laws are here, " he said.

Asked why he tried to run to an airport bathroom to flush the drugs down the toilet, he replied: "It's all bollocks. I didn't run off to the toilet. The ''paparazzi'' said that, it didn't happen".

Bali drugs squad chief Kokot Indarto said yesterday police intended to charge Mr McJannett with a new article 111 of the narcotics law for carrying drugs from abroad, which carries a minimum penalty of four years' jail and maximum penalty of 12 years. "But the final decision will depend on the court. The decision is not only based on the the amount but honesty, attitude and how he behaves. If the suspect does not co-operate he will get a heavier sentence," Colonel Indarto said.

"He is generally being helpful but he's still saying he doesn't know how it got there."

Indonesia places hard drugs such as heroin and cocaine in the same category as marijuana. They are all classified as Type A drugs and carry the same penalties for trafficking.

Police are waiting on results from blood and urine tests carried out on Wednesday to ascertain if Mr McJannett is a drug-user.

If tests are positive, he may receive a lighter sentence. Anything over 0.15g is considered trafficking.

Mr McJannett will most likely be transferred to Kerobokan Jail, joining convicted, high-profile drug traffickers Schapelle Corby and Bali Nine members.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/aussie-trade-union-official-in-bali-jail-claims-drugs-planted/story-e6frg6nf-1225815113738
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: