Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 12:31:16 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Some reading for the “anti-warmalists” and “climate-change deniers”

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 55   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some reading for the “anti-warmalists” and “climate-change deniers”  (Read 35880 times)
sickofpollies
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #250 on: March 14, 2013, 10:13:06 am »

ClimateGate III is now here. The person, known by the pseudonym FOIA*, responsible for the last two leaks (ClimateGate I and ClimateGate II) has given out the 128bit password to select individuals so that the remaining emails and data can be released.

One of the protests by the Hockey Team is their emails were taken out of context. When all of the emails are redacted (email addresses and so forth) they will not be able to hide behind this excuse anymore.

Interestingly enoughly one of the latest finds is the Hockey Team not only admitting that the Medieval Warm Period (and Little Ice Age) existed, but that it was global.

* Freedom Of Information Act: similar to our Official Information Act (OIA)

You can read more at Watts up with that
Report Spam   Logged

Falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus
robman
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #251 on: March 14, 2013, 11:07:31 am »

* Cue for inane gif or cartoon.....
Report Spam   Logged

I once thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #252 on: March 16, 2013, 10:35:55 am »

Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
guest49
« Reply #253 on: March 16, 2013, 10:37:24 am »

* Cue for inane gif or cartoon.....
Bingo!
Report Spam   Logged
sickofpollies
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #254 on: March 26, 2013, 01:19:52 pm »

Has the flip to the 70s global cooling and Ice Age propaganda begun again?

The coming Ice Age (only in German unfortunately.)
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #255 on: March 26, 2013, 01:59:25 pm »

Hahaha.....things are sooooooooo predictable.

The drought continues, so cue anti-warmalists jumping in with SPIN to try to divert attention from the earth heating up.

Those flat-earthers sure are funny-buggers! 

Report Spam   Logged

robman
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #256 on: March 26, 2013, 02:07:53 pm »

There hasn't been any shortage of rain, it's simply been ending up in the ocean at the same latitude as us but at the wrong longitude.
It's atmospheric pressure causing the dry spell, not higher temperatures as such. We're stuck in a persistent anticyclone.
Report Spam   Logged

sickofpollies
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #257 on: March 26, 2013, 03:23:24 pm »

That and parts of Australia got loads of rain due to that high pressure, but some people are super stupid and go on about a flat earth.

The earth has not warmed up since 1997. That is an inconvenient fact for the warmmongers.
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #258 on: May 02, 2013, 10:20:31 am »

from the Los Angeles Times....

Earth's greenhouse gas levels approach 400-ppm milestone

(5:25AM - Wednesday, August 1st, 2013)
Report Spam   Logged

robman
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #259 on: May 02, 2013, 10:22:48 am »

And?
Report Spam   Logged

sickofpollies
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #260 on: May 02, 2013, 11:39:51 am »

And?

There's this delusion that the climate was perfect when CO2 was 350 parts per million or less. Bill McKibben, an alarmist supreme, even has a website devoted to the concept. McKibben is regularly cited. Apparently we need to get back this magic number* and then the climate will be perfect again. No floods, droughts, superstorms, cyclones, hurricanes, prostitution** or anything bad happened when CO2 levels were at this figure or lower.

* Seemingly a number plucked out of thin air, hence 'magic.'
** Yes, the US Democrats are promoting this in the Congress at the moment.
Report Spam   Logged

guest49
« Reply #261 on: May 02, 2013, 11:57:01 am »

from the Los Angeles Times....

Earth's greenhouse gas levels approach 400-ppm milestone

(5:25AM - Wednesday, August 1st, 2013)

And it has been over 7,000 ppm in the past, with an average global temperature of 20' Centigrade with it.
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #262 on: May 02, 2013, 03:34:45 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

guest49
« Reply #263 on: May 02, 2013, 05:09:31 pm »

If the temperature was increasing, your little pic might make sense.
Report Spam   Logged
sickofpollies
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #264 on: May 02, 2013, 05:17:20 pm »

If the temperature was increasing, your little pic might make sense.

The real deniers of climate change
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #265 on: June 12, 2013, 04:08:01 pm »

From the Los Angeles Times....

Bloomberg unveils sweeping disaster protection plan for New York

Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg unveils a $20-billion proposal that he says would protect New Yorkers
from climate disasters. It includes levees, surge barriers and a new ‘Seaport City’.

By MATT PEARCE | 4:45PM - Tuesday, June 11, 2013

This file photo of May 10th, 2013 shows view of the Manhattan Bridge, left, and Brooklyn Bridge as seen from the 105th floor of One World Trade Center, in New York. Seven months after Superstorm Sandy swamped New York, Mayor Michael Bloomberg proposed a nearly $20 billion plan Tuesday, June 11th, 2013, to protect the city from the effects of global warming and storms. — Photo: Mark Lennihan/Associated Press.
This file photo of May 10th, 2013 shows view of the Manhattan Bridge, left, and Brooklyn Bridge as seen from the 105th floor of One World Trade
Center, in New York. Seven months after Superstorm Sandy swamped New York, Mayor Michael Bloomberg proposed a nearly $20 billion plan
Tuesday, June 11th, 2013, to protect the city from the effects of global warming and storms. — Photo: Mark Lennihan/Associated Press.

IN A far-reaching plan that would reshape the coastline of the nation's largest city, New York City Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg unveiled a $20-billion proposal Tuesday that he said will protect New Yorkers from disasters brought on by climate change.

New York's marriage with the sea has grown more fraught after Superstorm Sandy ravaged the city's 520-mile coastline.

The sweeping proposal, which could impact the city for years after the mayor's departure from office in January, calls for a series of new floodwalls, levees, surge barriers and even construction of a new "Seaport City" to protect the East River shoreline.

“This plan is incredibly ambitious — and much of the work will extend far beyond the next 200 days — but we refused to pass the responsibility for creating a plan onto the next administration," Bloomberg said in prepared remarks. "This is urgent work, and it must begin now.”

The specter of climate change and rising waters have loomed over New York more urgently since Sandy wrought an estimated $20 billion in damage along the eastern seaboard.

Reinsurance providers have warned that the northeastern U.S. should expect more frequent flood and hurricane damage as waters rise and weather patterns change.

One Munich RE researcher said earlier this year that taking basic protective steps to adapt would be "absolutely essential," with another adding that such moves would make economic sense for New York over time. About 400,000 New York residents live in a 100-year flood plain, city officials said.

To support the proposals, Bloomberg has marshaled a small army of experts and a climate-change report that estimates New York City could see its waters rise as much as 31 inches by 2050.

The report also presents worst-case scenarios in which the city gets 15% more precipitation and a 6.5-degree increase in average annual temperature in that time.

More than just beefing up New York's coastal defenses, the plan also carries a series of political proposals that would redevelop areas hit hardest by Sandy and rewrite the city's construction codes.

One proposal offers building owners $1.2 billion in grants and loans for flood-resiliency upgrades, and another changes building codes that would require hospitals to adopt 500-year-flood safety standards.

Other proposals would expand emergency-generator coverage and add standards for utility and telecommunications companies to repair service swiftly after outages.

"Millions of New Yorkers lost power during Sandy and hundreds of thousands lost heat, Internet service, or phone service," Bloomberg said.

"When a crisis hits, when we really need them most, we lose access to them. That is not acceptable," he said. "Most of these networks are not run or regulated by the city, but the time has come for all of our private-sector partners to step up to the plate and join us in protecting New Yorkers."

Kevin Burke, chairman and CEO of power provider Con Edison, said in a statement that "Con Edison has already begun making significant investments to protect our infrastructure and our customers from future storms."

The city will also have to tackle tough new federal flood insurance rates that Bloomberg said would overburden working families in Staten Island.

The 250 recommendations in the new plan — titled the Special Initiative for Rebuilding and Resiliency — could use $15 billion in existing city and federal funding that could be driven toward the project, with the city considering various ways to come up with $4.5 billion in additional funds.

Whether all of those proposals will find traction with New Yorkers and federal purseholders is yet to be seen, particularly after Bloomberg leaves office, but the plan presents one of the most ambitious municipal disaster-prevention projects in recent memory.

"We can't completely climate-proof our city. That would be impossible," Bloomberg said. "But we can make our city stronger and safer — and we can start today."

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-bloomberg-climate-change-20130611,0,7933233.story
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #266 on: July 07, 2013, 11:28:43 am »

Volatile weather ‘the new normal’

By SIMON DAY - The Dominion Post | 10:37AM - Sunday, 07 July 2013

WARMING CLIMATE: A falling tree took out a power pole and lines, blocking Warwick Street in the Wellington suburb of Wilton. — Photo: KIRSTY FARRANT.
WARMING CLIMATE: A falling tree took out a power pole and lines, blocking Warwick Street in the Wellington suburb of Wilton. — Photo: KIRSTY FARRANT.

GET USED TO IT. That "once in 20 years" freak storm is forecast to happen again sooner than you think.

Experts say the wild weather of recent months — heavy snowstorms and flooding in the South Island, and stormy winds in Wellington — is the new normal, and the country needs to prepare for more temperamental weather as the climate warms.

Based on median predictions for temperature increases over the next century, New Zealand's climate will get drier in some regions, wetter in others, and higher winds and more cyclones will occur, NIWA says.

Extreme winds are likely to increase across New Zealand in winter and decrease in summer, especially for the Wellington region and the eastern South Island.

In many parts of the North Island and the eastern parts of the South Island longer droughts are expected.

"We might expect to see, not every year, but on average another couple of weeks of drought each year," said David Wratt, NIWA chief scientist.

Wratt warned the wisest thing to do for New Zealand was to was "plan accordingly".

Winds that reached over 200km/h during last month's Wellington storm left more than 30,000 homes without power and heavy rain washed out large parts of the capital's railway lines.

While a number of city councils have climate change action plans, local governments need to start taking action immediately, climate change advisers say.

"The longer we delay, the more our options become limited," said Chris Cameron, principal climate change adviser for Wellington City Council.

Rebuilding storm-damaged infrastructure without adding further resilience would not provide long-term solutions, Cameron said.

"There is a gap between the level and the consequence of the issue and the response," he said.

The long-term cost needed to be measured against the short-term needs of the community, said council policy manager Andrew Stitt.

"There is a question about being able to maintain the level of service, versus a long-term investment for change. We are constantly making those tradeoffs," he said.

Farmers accept the science, but are not worried by the potential for more extreme drought.

"I don't hold any grave concerns about forecast weather changes because I know farmers are an adaptable, changeable bunch," said Bruce Wills, president of Federated Farmers.

The nationwide drought in 2007-2008 cost the New Zealand economy $2.8 billion. Last summer's drought, a one-in-70-year event, cost the economy $1.3b.

The reduced impact, despite the size of the most recent drought, was due to farmers being better prepared, Wills said.

"I got through this year pretty comfortably because I turned my farming business upside down after I got caught unprepared in 2007," he said.

He built 60 new dams, swapped much of his sheep stock for drought-resistant cattle, and grew his grass longer to be more resilient in low rainfall. "Good farmers will adjust to conditions and adjust their business accordingly," he said.

STORM WREAKS HAVOC

TREES were felled, roofs torn off, and power lines went down after a storm swept through Canterbury and the lower North Island on Friday night and early yesterday morning.

Winds reached up to 135km/h in parts of Canterbury and Wellington, with wind warnings in place yesterday in the Wairarapa and a weather watch across Hawke's Bay and the Tararua Ranges for rain.

In the south, falling trees took out power lines at 2am and sparked a fire.

"We had a huge northwest gust of wind come through this morning," said Lincoln fire chief Kevin Greene yesterday.

"With that huge wind behind it, [the fire] just took off."

At one point, there were 45 firefighters, six pumps and five tankers dealing with the fires that flared along a 2km stretch. It was contained by 5.30am.

About 9800 households also lost access to power with lines down. Most were reconnected by the afternoon.

Kaikoura was blocked after a truck stopped in the middle of the road. The driver felt it was too dangerous to continue driving.

Yesterday's strong winds are set to continue through the weekend in the lower North Island, and the rain expected right through next week, said MetService forecaster Elke Louw.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/8888718/Volatile-weather-the-new-normal
Report Spam   Logged

robman
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #267 on: July 07, 2013, 12:23:04 pm »

Thank god for that, it's another NIWA prediction. Had me worried for about .00003 seconds there.
Report Spam   Logged

guest49
« Reply #268 on: July 12, 2013, 10:35:21 pm »

Always did have a bit of time for Ken Ring...
http://nz.news.yahoo.com/opinion/post/-/blog/17924887/wondering-where-the-warming-went/
Report Spam   Logged
robman
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #269 on: July 13, 2013, 08:11:39 am »

Nicely credible except for the bit about waves on the surface being created by underwater volcanism and in turn causing winds.
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #270 on: July 13, 2013, 02:53:48 pm »

Hahaha....I love it when a claim is made that someone/something is nicely credible.....EXCEPT.....

It's like qualifying something with that word BUT.

Report Spam   Logged

guest49
« Reply #271 on: July 13, 2013, 04:02:16 pm »

From what I have gathered, it seems that Ring has a much better average prediction rate than NIWA......
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #272 on: July 28, 2013, 07:41:53 pm »

meanwhile
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/25/north-pole-melting-leaves_n_3652373.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #273 on: July 31, 2013, 02:01:17 pm »

(click on the graphic to read the news story)
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #274 on: August 12, 2013, 12:40:56 pm »

From the Los Angeles Times....

Effects of climate change in California are ‘significant and growing’

Environmental shifts, such as higher sea temperatures and shrinking glaciers in the
Sierra Nevada, point to overwhelming evidence of climate change, state scientists say.

By TONY BARBOZA | 6:38PM - Saturday, August 10, 2013

The Tuolumne River in Yosemite National Park on January 3rd, 2012, reveals a landscape usually frozen and covered with snow at that time of year. Several evidences of climate change that state scientiests cited were from the Sierra Nevada, including reduced spring runoff. — Photo: Brian van der Brug/Los Angeles Times.
The Tuolumne River in Yosemite National Park on January 3rd, 2012, reveals a landscape usually frozen and covered with snow at that time of year.
Several evidences of climate change that state scientiests cited were from the Sierra Nevada, including reduced spring runoff.
 — Photo: Brian van der Brug/Los Angeles Times.

CALIFORNIA is feeling the effects of climate change far and wide, as heat-trapping greenhouse gases reduce spring runoff from the Sierra Nevada, make the waters of Monterey Bay more acidic and shorten winter chill periods required to grow fruit and nuts in the Central Valley, a new report says.

Though past studies have offered grim projections of a warming planet, the report released Thursday by the California Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment took an inventory of three dozen shifts that are already happening.

"The nature of these changes is that they're occurring gradually, but the impacts are significant and growing," said Sam Delson, a spokesman for the health hazard assessment office, a branch of the California Environmental Protection Agency.

Among the effects detailed in the report: The number of acres burned by wildfires in California has been increasing since 1950, with the three worst fire seasons occurring in the last decade. Sea surface temperatures at La Jolla have risen by about 1.8 degrees Fahrenheit over the last century, twice as much as the global average. Glaciers in the Sierra Nevada are shrinking, and water in lakes, including Lake Tahoe and Mono Lake, has warmed over the last few decades.

The changes associated with global warming can be irregular. Sea level rise in California, for instance, has bucked the global pattern and leveled off over the last two decades, the report notes.

But the overall trend is overwhelming, scientists say.

"These environmental indicators are leaning very dominantly in a single direction that is consistent with the early phases of climate change," said Dan Cayan, a climate scientist at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography and the U.S. Geological Survey who contributed to the report. "It's not something that's 100 years away; it's already starting to play out."

The report also describes some of the ways plants and animals appear to be responding to a warming climate. Butterflies in the Central Valley are emerging earlier in the spring, and Sierra Nevada conifer trees have retreated upslope over the last 60 years, the report says. About half of the small mammals in Yosemite National Park have moved to higher elevations compared with decades ago.

The analysis drew from data and scientific research from throughout the state. It updates a similar statewide inventory released in 2009 but includes 10 additional problems now linked to climate change, including ocean acidification, tree deaths in the Sierra Nevada and zones of higher temperatures within cities that are known as "urban heat islands."

• Download the report Indicators of Climate Change in California

• Download the Summary Report: Indicators of Climate Change in California

• Download the Press Release issued jointly by OEHHA and Cal/EPA

• Download an earlier 2009 Climate Change report

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-0811-calif-climate-20130811,0,4664481.story
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 55   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: