Xtra News Community 2
March 28, 2024, 10:15:08 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Injured Thrush

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Injured Thrush  (Read 860 times)
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« on: December 25, 2009, 12:47:19 pm »

B#$%^& Bobby!

He came in last night, about 10pm, with a Thrush that was very much alive but missing all bar a couple of tail feathers. There is a small injury as well.

We put it in a box and in the garage over night. This morning it is still very much alive but unable to fly.

It is now in a cat carrier (closest thing we have to a bird cage) with drinking water and a couple of plums. I'll hunt out some worms for it shortly.

We may have a long term job on our hands.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 07:49:54 am »

Ive got big windows all round the house & deck.  Its always a problem for me after I clean them  Grin which is due for doing in the next couple of days.  The damned things have got no radar and just bash into the windows.  Couple of mornings ago one of them hit the bedroom doors, we were sitting in bed having coffee.  She laid on the deck outside the door for about 15 minutes.  Flat.  Looked like shed broken her neck .. then after about 15 mins her head lifted, she sat like that for another 15 & then her hubby came over and checked her out.  He sat with her for about 5 mins, then gave her a shove that knocked her off her feet & flew away.  She gathered herself - yelled at him sitting on the power lines and took off to give him a speech!  Grin All the while the 2 dogs (who ordinarily would chase and catch them) sat beside us watching the whole thing unfold without making a move.

Good luck with the thrush SP.  Its possible that it has internal injury from them sharp teef the cats have.  Thats the only reason we wont have cats.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
ssweetpea

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 12:25:14 pm »

Well, it (he?) is still very lively.

I wonder how many worms I should be giving it a day. It is so dry that worms are hard to find and the plums will be finished very soon.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 04:17:07 pm »

The pretty looking ones are the boy ones  Cheesy

SP .. if you find some lawn where the sun doesnt hit much, water it a lot, let it soak down and then dig a couple of spadefuls up you'll find the worms .. they go down when the water table drops and come up when you water the area.  Dont you have a vege garden?

I watch them eating worms outside the bedroom in the mornings .. theyd eat 5-6 and have some bites of any fruit I have put out for the morning birds, watermelon, plums .. they like the softer fruits rather than hard like an apple.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
ssweetpea

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 08:38:43 am »

I think he is just about a goner.

I went out to pop a strawberry in for him and he was still alive but only just.

I guess there was a wound there after all. Three days would be about right for infection to take its course.
Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 08:53:43 am »

Sad
Report Spam   Logged

ssweetpea

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 10:57:01 am »

Sad Ahh well, we tried. He wouldn't have survived that long in the wild.

To be honest I was very surprised that he survived the first night, birds usually go very quickly. It was the wrong time of year to get any qualified help.
Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 11:55:04 am »

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: