Xtra News Community 2
April 20, 2024, 05:21:09 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

The incredible rising cost of petrol

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The incredible rising cost of petrol  (Read 3819 times)
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #125 on: January 09, 2015, 03:27:50 pm »

I wonder what the price of fuel is at Franz Josef Glacier?

The service station there is run by a bunch of thieving crooks.

Their fuel comes by road tanker from Nelson, yet the last time I was there, they were charging 12c per litre more than the service station at Fox Glacier, even though the tanker has to drive over that winding road (with the two high summits) from Franz Josef to Fox. Likewise, the price difference between Franz Josef and Haast was also 12c, with the service stations at Haast Junction and Haast Beach charging the same price per litre as Fox Glacier.

I get the impression that the owners of the service station at Franz Josef Glacier (who also own the supermarket) are out to rip-off the tourists who stay there in considerably larger numbers than at Fox Glacier and Haast. North of Franz Josef Glacier at Whataroa, you can likewise purchase fuel 12c per litre cheaper than at Franz.

The dumb tourists don't know they are being fleeced.

There are places in the North Island where those who know don't buy fuel.

National Park is one - go to Taumaranui, Turangi, Ohakune or Waiouru instead.
The Coromandel Peninsula is another, Paeroa is always cheaper than Thames not to mention Coromandel (town).
There is another spot that between Reparoa and Taupo to that is a inexplicable ouch to the wallet - Golden Springs? Whakamaru?  Not sure that that station is still there.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2015, 03:41:22 pm »

January 8, 2015 7:00 pm JST

Reverse oil shock

Free-falling prices trigger asset fire sales at European, US producers

TAKAYUKI KATO and SOICHI INAI, Nikkei staff writers

http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Trends/Free-falling-prices-trigger-asset-fire-sales-at-European-US-producers

Govt opens eight areas for oil and gas exploration

10:20 AM Wednesday Apr 2, 2014

The Anadarko drill ship the Noble Bob Douglas which was recently looking for oil and gas in New Zealand waters. Photo / Brett Phibbs

The New Zealand government has opened eight new areas for oil and gas exploration in its 2014 Block Offer, unveiled at a petroleum conference in Wellington by Energy Minister Simon Bridges.

A total of 405,000 square kilometres of exploration acreage is on offer and includes formally opening the previously unidentified New Caledonia Basin for bids, where Shell New Zealand has already been awarded an exploration licence out of sequence with the block offer system. ...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11230725

...After peaking at $108 per barrel earlier this year, oil prices have been cut in half. ...

Futures traders will be busy

Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2015, 08:04:50 pm »

Those shale-oil producers (extracting oil through fracking) in North Dakota and Montana (and across the border in Alberta, Canada) will be spewing.

They have spent massive $$$$$$$$ setting up their oil extraction operations and they are bloody expensive to operate.

The low oil prices will be causing a bit of a financial meltdown with them.

And the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway and Canadian Pacific Railway will likewise be shitting bricks....they have also been making mega $$$$$$$ hauling the oil out by the trainload, due to the fact there is no pipeline infrastructure in that part of North America.

Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
reality
« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2015, 11:06:48 pm »

Yup...the beginning of the end for North America..please dont forget to tell them Wink...otherwise ..how will they know Grin
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #129 on: January 12, 2015, 05:58:00 am »

Call to cut airfares as fuel price plunges

5:00 AM Friday Jan 9, 2015

Airlines say issue complex but MP says public missing out on savings.

Airfares should fall to reflect plummeting oil and jet fuel prices but airlines are stalling when it comes to delivering cheaper fares, consumer advocates say.

The price of crude oil has plunged to near a six-year low, with impacts on the costs of fuel and other petrochemical derivatives. Airlines say the issue is complex, but a major travel agency is frustrated airlines aren't yet slashing average fares.

Flight Centre general manager Simon McKearney said he expected domestic and international fares to fall - but airlines were delaying savings for consumers.

"It's wait-and-see at the moment," Mr McKearney said.

He said savings of 5 to 10 per cent on airfares were very likely in the short term. The issue would be a talking point at the major travel expos in late January, where agents had a chance to promote their business.

"We'll be putting up our hand saying: 'Right, we want to see some of these decreases flowing through to the consumer."'

Taxi trips to the airport should also be cheaper than they are now, said Sue Chetwin, Consumer NZ chief executive. "You could probably say that about any public transport actually," she added.

Ms Chetwin was sceptical airlines would drop prices soon.

Labour MP Stuart Nash said airline passengers, like motorists, were missing out on savings comparable to the fall in crude and fuel prices.

He said airlines and petrol companies must realise they "cannot have it both ways".

"Kiwis are always fed this, it's almost bulls***, by the airlines and by the petrol companies: 'Well, the price of crude's gone up, therefore we're going to have to increase the price of airfares and the price of petrol at the pump'. And we buy that, and say: 'Okay, that's fair enough'. When the price drops like it is now, [the companies] are really quiet on his sort of stuff."

Air New Zealand said it "manages its exposure to fuel price fluctuations" by locking in prices for future jet fuel purchases ahead of time. "As a result we are largely unaffected by recent changes in fuel prices," a spokeswoman said.

Jetstar said fares fluctuated frequently anyway. "Any change in the macroeconomic sphere would impact the way we do business," said Jetstar spokeswoman Zoe Knobel.

"While the recent reduction in oil prices is welcomed, fuel is just one component of the overall price of an airfare."

Fares likely to be held
Public transport fares in Auckland are unlikely to drop any time soon, even though fuel prices have tumbled to their lowest in more than four years.
Auckland Transport says an annual fare review is still several months away. There can be no guarantee of price cuts then, or even that fares will not rise, as fuel is "only a part" of fleet running costs. But a spokesman said: "We will continue to strive to keep fares competitive."

The Auckland Public Transport Users' Association wants the council body to consider reducing fares for users of its electronic Hop cards

- NZME.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11383798&ref=rss

Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #130 on: January 14, 2015, 09:39:45 am »

...Due to Western sanctions on Iran over its nuclear programme, Iran's oil exports have dropped from 2.5 million barrels a day in 2011 to about 1 million barrels per day on average, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA).

Iran had adjusted to the drop in exports due to higher oil prices, but that buffer no longer remains today.

The United Arab Emirates energy minister repeated on Tuesday that the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) would not cut output to support prices.

Saudi Arabia and other wealthy Gulf Arab countries have accumulated hundreds of billions of dollars of reserves due to high oil prices over the years.

Saudi authorities appear confident they can ride out the market slide, with state spending set to hit a record this year.

(Additionaly reporting by Martin Dokoupil, Editing by Yara Bayoumy and Crispian Balmer)

https://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/mp/25986753/irans-rouhani-says-countries-behind-oil-price-drop-will-suffer/

Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #131 on: January 14, 2015, 12:34:01 pm »

I reckon the OPEC countries are deliberately keeping oil production high (forcing the price of oil down) in order to financially bankrupt the shale-oil producers in the USA and Canada.

Once those producers have gone to the wall, the OPEC countries will cut-back on production to drive the price of oil back up again when they have got their monopoly back.

And there is nothing the USA can do about it unless they can persuade their population to forego cheap fuel and purchase expensive fuel refined from shale oil, something which consumers will NEVER DO because people only think in the short term.

Oh well, such is life, eh?
Report Spam   Logged

reality
« Reply #132 on: January 14, 2015, 12:41:37 pm »

Do you......really Wink

..another reckoning....another chance to be wrong...grab it with both hands Grin
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #133 on: January 15, 2015, 07:35:54 am »

Here is a conspiracy theory for you.

Have you noticed that electric cars with longer ranges per charge are appearing at big motor shows and at least one, the Volt will be released for sale on the mass market.

At the same time oil drops below US$50 per barrel........

Just saying.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #134 on: January 15, 2015, 08:51:38 am »

Petrol in Masterton is considerably cheaper than in Wellington.

As of last night, Gull are selling 91 octane petrol for $1.61 per litre at their Masterton outlet, with Pak 'n' Save selling 91 for $1.62 from their Masterton supermarket.

Over the Wellington side of the ranges yesterday, the cheapest price I saw was $.74 per litre.

For some reason, fuel prices in Masterton have always been considerably cheaper than in Wellington, in spite of the increased transport costs of getting the stuff here.

Last year when headlines were made when 91 octane petrol dropped below $2 per litre, we were laughing, because we had been purchasing 91 for cheaper than $2 per litre for quite some time in Masterton. Although Gull and Pak 'n' Save have been the main price discounters in Masterton, they have dragged down the price of the other brands with them in what has been a continual price war which has been going on for years.
Report Spam   Logged

reality
« Reply #135 on: January 15, 2015, 01:33:50 pm »

Brucie..."Over the Wellington side of the ranges yesterday, the cheapest price I saw was $.74 per litre."

wow...that is very cheap...almost unbelievable Wink...bet that gas station is wondering why they are very busy Shocked
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #136 on: January 15, 2015, 01:49:04 pm »

Here is a conspiracy theory for you.

Have you noticed that electric cars with longer ranges per charge are appearing at big motor shows and at least one, the Volt will be released for sale on the mass market.

At the same time oil drops below US$50 per barrel........

Just saying.

check #1 here

v

http://media.nzherald.co.nz/webcontent/infographics/357/030115cycle1.jpg
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11381476&ref=rss

then hop along to

Polaris(R) eBikes to Roll at Super Bowl XLIX; Hi-Tech Power-Assisted Bikes to Be Featured in Events Benefiting NFL Legend Jim Brown's Amer-I-Can Charity

Marketwired
 EVantage USA, Inc.
January 13, 2015 1:34 PM

...According to Mr. Rand, "A fleet of Polaris electric bikes will be centrally featured in promotional events in Phoenix preceding the Super Bowl. Company representatives will be offering demonstrations and education on the benefits of their power assisted bikes." ...

More about this at
 http://finance.yahoo.com/news/polaris-r-ebikes-roll-super-183410172.html;_ylt=AwrBJR8OJLdUDAQAr8j4Zgx.

Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #137 on: February 02, 2016, 08:50:01 pm »

It is soooooooooooo good living in Whakaoriori and paying cheap Wairarapa prices for fuel…

Fuel companies pay for regional discounts with higher city prices — AA

…I normally catch the train over to Wellington if I've got something on there, but if I do drive for any reason, then I always fuel up in Whakaoriori before I head off. No point running low on fuel while on the Wellington side of the ranges and having to pay big-city prices for fuel to get home.

Another upside of living in Whakoriori is the fact that there isn't even a single set of traffic lights anywhere in Wairarapa. We use roundabouts to control traffic at intersections....much smoother traffic flow. The only time we ever see traffic lights on the Wairarapa side of the ranges is when they are occasionally used to control traffic on a single lane of the highway during major roadworks, but the use of traffic lights for that is a very rare event.

And....even though I live within four minutes' walking distance of the town centre (and only 10-12 minutes' walking distance from work), if I did want to drive down town for any reason (say to pick up something I have purchased which is too big & heavy to carry home), I can always find a park in the same block as the shop I am going to, and often right outside. Eat your heart's out, Wellingtonians and Aucklanders. Did I mention CHEAP fuel prices? Yep, life is good in Whakaoriori!   Grin

Report Spam   Logged

reality
« Reply #138 on: February 03, 2016, 02:48:10 pm »

Jeeeeezzzz...and I thought that egotist, Mike Hosking had a bad case of it.... Shocked
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #139 on: February 03, 2016, 05:12:16 pm »

I think I just heard another ...

Report Spam   Logged
reality
« Reply #140 on: February 03, 2016, 05:29:25 pm »

Yeah...I reckon eh Roll Eyes

...he's a bit like an Aussie.....but Aussies don't go on about themselves so much😷
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: