Xtra News Community 2
April 20, 2024, 04:10:09 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

The incredible rising cost of petrol

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The incredible rising cost of petrol  (Read 3818 times)
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« on: January 27, 2009, 02:25:19 pm »

Caltex, BP and Shell have all increased their petrol prices by six cents a litre.

The three petrol companies are now selling unleaded 91 for 158.9 cents a litre in the main centres. Mobil has so far not returned phone calls.

Caltex spokeswoman Sharon Buckland said the rise was due to the low New Zealand dollar and high refined oil prices.

BP spokeswoman Diana Stretch said the increase in prices at the pump was also due to the cost of refined petrol going up and the New Zealand dollar was "making it worse".

Shell spokeswoman Jackie Maitland said the rise was also due to the international price of fuel.

She said there was more demand world-wide for petrol than diesel and that was increasing the price of petrol while diesel remained stagnant.

Ms Maitland also sighted the weakening New Zealand dollar.

"It's great for the exporters but not for us," she said.

Meanwhile, Gull is holding out and has not increased prices. Spokesman Ulrik Olsen said the company would not be increasing petrol prices today but would be reviewing tomorrow.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10553801
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 04:21:39 pm »

Diesel prices haven't moved   Cool....so far
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 04:30:42 pm »

"while diesel remained stagnant" - that's the main part....

Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
Calliope
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

If music be the food of love, play on

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 09:10:52 pm »

Shell, Caltex, BP and Mobil have all dropped their prices to 163.9 cents per litre for 91 petrol and 100.9 cents per litre for diesel.

Gull is one cent per litre cheaper at 162.9 for 91 and 99.9 for diesel.

I wish someone would tell our local service station. they are (or at least were this afternoon) charging $1.759
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times
Nitpicker1
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 01:16:23 pm »

BP drops petrol price five cents a litre
Thursday April 30, 12:17 PM

BP has announced a five cent a litre drop in the price of petrol.

It says it is in response to falling international prices.

There is no change to the price of diesel.
http://nz.biz.yahoo.com/090430/2/c2gt.html
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 04:15:45 pm »

Shell, Caltex, BP and Mobil have all dropped their prices to 163.9 cents per litre for 91 petrol and 100.9 cents per litre for diesel.

I wish someone would tell our local service station. they are (or at least were this afternoon) charging $1.759

Hell - Hamilton Gull was 1.499 today and Shell was 1.599.

They know you lot have plenty of money Calli!!

hehe
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Nitpicker1
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 05:09:10 pm »

Hell - Hamilton Gull was 1.499 today and Shell was 1.599.

They know you lot have plenty of money Calli!!

hehe

Ummmm                                              Calliope's message was posted 26.02 09    
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 10:16:09 am »

Gull holds out on price rise

Gull will wait until next week before raising petrol prices to match its larger rivals.

The four major oil companies have all raised petrol prices 5c a litre to just under $1.59 for 91-octane, citing rising international prices.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10571336&ref=rss
Report Spam   Logged

ssweetpea

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 08:20:03 am »

Petrol prices highest in 18 months

NZPA Last updated 09:38 10/03/2010

Petrol prices are at their highest in 18 months after BP and Caltex hiked prices by 5 cents a litre - the second price rise in a week.

The rise put the price of 91 unleaded up to $1.82.9.

Diesel prices also went up 3 cents a litre, to $1.15.9 a litre.

Shell, Mobil and Gull had not yet followed but told Radio New Zealand they were reviewing their prices.

All the major petrol companies raised their petrol prices by 5 cents a litre on March 5.

AA PetrolWatch spokesman Mark Stockdale told NZPA the weaker exchange rate was partly to blame for the price rise.

Petrol was "hitting an uncomfortable price point" and motorists would be feeling nervous after prices passed $1.80, he said.

AA PetrolWatch reported last week that retail fuel prices had remained unchanged since January 19, when they fell 3c a litre across the board.

Crude oil and refined petrol prices rose between 4 and 6 percent during February, with refined diesel up 10 percent - reducing oil company importers' margins.

In April 2008 petrol rose at a record rate from $1.80 to $2.17.8 in July of that year.

However, that was before the recession struck, and UBS Investment Bank senior economist Robin Clements doesn't think fuel prices will rise as high this time.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/3428130/Petrol-prices-highest-in-18-months

Just for comparison, prices rose slightly above this in 2008:
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
guest49
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 08:28:24 am »

Our problem here is that the overseas consortiums dont give a toss about NZ, as the amount of fuel our tiny nation uses is not particularly lucrative for them. 
A mate who manages a Mobil station, told me a while back that Mobil international in Singapore was contemplating pulling out of NZ entirely, due to sheer economics.
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 08:31:05 am »

I have heard that Shell is doing just that - pulling out of NZ.
Report Spam   Logged

Brownie55
Global Moderator
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

OK, so what’s the speed of dark?

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 08:53:21 am »

Good god, they will all go away and we will have none. Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

I almost had a psychic boyfriend, but he left me before we met.
chevy

Chevy from the Levy

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 07:21:16 pm »

simply buy less.

Nothing else hurts the Oil Cartel more than choking on their own supplys having Oil Tankers anchored in the Bay as stocks are moving slow, very expensive with Tankers on idle
Report Spam   Logged

bye bye American Pie
guest49
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 07:36:20 pm »

simply buy less.

Nothing else hurts the Oil Cartel more than choking on their own supplys having Oil Tankers anchored in the Bay as stocks are moving slow, very expensive with Tankers on idle

The days when I used to do a hundred miles up and down Devon street on a Friday night, just because it was the thing to do, are many decades in the past - along with cheap petrol, as a matter of fact.
I can assure you that if I could "simply buy less," I would do so gladly
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 08:56:32 pm »

I have heard that Shell is doing just that - pulling out of NZ.

Infratil are taking over Shell in NZ.

The same company who own most of the bus services in Auckland and Wellington, as well as being a major shareholder in Auckland International Airport and a majority shareholder in Wellington International Airport.
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 08:57:04 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

Im2Sexy4MyPants

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 10:37:01 pm »

I thought the government said it was going to increase the fuel tax,then later on we are we still going get carbon tax.
the carbon tax will be added to everything.
There will be no middle class
everyone will be poor except the elite.

The price of horses might go up
horses might be a good future investment opportunity.

I also hear the UN is going to take away most of everyones private land and make us all live in the cities,
to let nature take the world back to its wild natural state and save the planet from Co2, Its all part of their cunning plan... Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Are you sick of the bullshit from the sewer stream media spewed out from the usual Ken and Barby dickless talking point look a likes.

If you want to know what's going on in the real world...
And the many things that will personally effect you.
Go to
http://www.infowars.com/

AND WAKE THE F_ _K UP
guest49
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2010, 05:07:15 am »

I thought the government said it was going to increase the fuel tax,then later on we are we still going get carbon tax.
the carbon tax will be added to everything.
There will be no middle class
everyone will be poor except the elite.

As a matter of passing interesr, how much of the price of petrol do the troughers in Wellington already take in tax? 60%?  More?

/
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2010, 05:29:30 am »

simply buy less.

When petrol headed skyward last time Mum and I started carpooling up to Albany to do our grocery shopping. We both enjoyed it so much that we haven't stopped.
Report Spam   Logged

guest49
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 08:04:36 am »

simply buy less.

When petrol headed skyward last time Mum and I started carpooling up to Albany to do our grocery shopping. We both enjoyed it so much that we haven't stopped.
Thats great if you can do it.
I live far out in the country, my closest neighbour is 1 kilometre away, and my closest relative 4½hrs away
Report Spam   Logged
Im2Sexy4MyPants

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2010, 08:11:17 am »

simply buy less.

Maybe you should check this out

Revealed: 50 oil tankers loitering off British coast as they lie in wait for fuel price hikes
By DAVID DERBYSHIRE, ANDREW LEVY and RAY MASSEY
Last updated at 9:56 AM on 20th November 2009

More than 50 oil tankers are anchored off Britain - pieces in a game in which the only winners are market speculators.
The losers are the millions of British motorists paying over the odds for their petrol and diesel.
After yesterday's report in the Daily Mail on how several so-called 'oil shark' tankers were moored near the Devon coast, dozens more vessels were revealed to be loitering off-shore.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1229337/Petrol-prices-Oil-tankers-loitering-British-coast-lie-wait-price-hikes.html#ixzz0hu8muheQ
Report Spam   Logged

Are you sick of the bullshit from the sewer stream media spewed out from the usual Ken and Barby dickless talking point look a likes.

If you want to know what's going on in the real world...
And the many things that will personally effect you.
Go to
http://www.infowars.com/

AND WAKE THE F_ _K UP
guest49
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2010, 09:25:08 am »

Hmmmmm
The translocation of a few somali pirates might rattle things along a bit....... Undecided

The thought of having to pay a few million dollars to get their ship and cargo back, instead of getting a few million extra by gouging, may get the speculators attention.
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2010, 10:46:17 am »

Or.....you could turn into a Greenie....Grin

Install your own electricity generating system — wind, solar, hydro (if you have a suitable waterway on the property).

Grow your own biofuels.

Cut down on waste.

It could be like printing hundred-dollars bills over the long term!  Cool
Report Spam   Logged

guest49
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2010, 11:00:41 am »

Or.....you could turn into a Greenie....Grin

Install your own electricity generating system — wind, solar, hydro (if you have a suitable waterway on the property).

Grow your own biofuels.

Cut down on waste.

It could be like printing hundred-dollars bills over the long term!  Cool

I actually looked into this, but all is not as it seems.
Many thousands of dollars for a battery bank
No wind where we are,
Solar panels expensive but a one off cost and the carbon footprint of their manufacture is colossal!  More than the returns.
Hydro is an option, but insufficient head for Pelton Wheel.  A big water-wheel would be the ticket, as I have 3 phase power for various of my machines.

Having this 3 phase, really makes the greenie options untenable due to massive costs.

And green power still wouldnt assist me get my vehicle to town any cheaper!
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2010, 11:33:55 am »

A friend of mine up in Poverty Bay set himself up to be self sufficient back in the late-1990s (not long before I left Gisborne).

He owns a large engineering business up there, which did give him a bit of an advantage.

He put in a mini-hydro station, wind generators (he's installed a lot more of those since then) and solar panels.

It cost him an arm and a leg at the time, but twelve years later he reckons it has saved him heaps over the long term and is now really starting to pay for itself. He actually sells power to Meridian as he generates way more than what he needs for himself and his family.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: