Xtra News Community 2
April 16, 2024, 06:10:47 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

This is pretty gay'me

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This is pretty gay'me  (Read 93 times)
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« on: February 15, 2009, 02:36:42 pm »

Chinese gays and lesbians took to the streets on Saturday hoping Saint Valentine's Day would help them attract support for same-sex marriage in the conservative society.

Thirty people gathered on a street in the Chinese capital, close to Tiananmen Square and its stern portrait of Mao Zedong, to hold mock wedding photo sessions. They drew gasps, smiles and an occasional scowl from passers-by. Organisers said similar events took place in three other cities.

Their goal was to win more acceptance in a nation that has long frowned upon open displays of sexuality. Campaigners gave out roses and a slip of pink paper urging support for same-sex marriage.

Police did not interfere.

Same-sex marriage is forbidden in China, where for many homosexuality is abhorrent or unknown.

"A lot of people around me don't see the gay community, they don't even know there are any of us around. They think we are very seductive and strange," said one participant, a student who used the name Dana.

"Through today's event I want to tell everyone that there are a lot of us around them, they just can't see us, and that we are the same as everyone else," she said.
Advertisement

With official attitudes relaxing, cities like Beijing and Shanghai now have small but increasingly confident gay scenes.

Zhang Yi, one of the men who posed for wedding snaps, said: "I think that coming here and taking these wedding photos is for fun and a chance for everyone to come into contact with and understand us. But everything needs time."

One onlooker, 19-year-old student Cheng Xiaojiao, said the gathering was a brave gesture.

"I see no problem. I already have a lot of friends and acquaintances like them. We shouldn't judge them, everyone has their own way of life," she said.

But Jia Junfeng, a legal worker, said: "I personally do not support this kind of marriage because I think it is in conflict with Chinese morality."
http://tvnz.co.nz/world-news/gays-step-in-china-2487889

LOL they could only muster 30
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: