Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 09:32:04 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Energy-saving light bulbs

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Energy-saving light bulbs  (Read 542 times)
ssweetpea
Senator
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« on: November 24, 2009, 03:42:26 pm »

Energy-saving bulbs 'get dimmer' 

Energy-saving bulbs use up to 80% less electricity than traditional bulbs
Energy-efficient light bulbs lose on average 22% of their brightness over their lifetime, a study has found.

In some cases they emit just 60% as much light as traditional models which are being phased out of shops, it says.

The study in Engineering and Technology magazine concluded that consumers were being misled by the bulbs' packaging.

Of the 18 energy-saving bulbs tested over 10,000 hours by the Institution of Engineering and Technology, three stopped altogether.

'Migraines'

The magazine's editor, Dickon Ross, told the BBC that packaging claims about the power of the bulbs did not live up to what they delivered in terms of people's perceptions of light.

He said: "It may not be deliberate, but because of the standards set, you end up with figures that are exaggerated compared to what people really experience."

Traditional bulbs lose no more than 7% of their brightness by the time they burn out - equivalent to about 2,000 hours from first use.

But the new energy-saving models, known as compact fluorescent bulbs, use up to 80% less electricity than traditional bulbs and could save up to £37 a year on energy bills.

Critics, however, claim they can trigger migraines, make skin conditions worse and lead to other health problems.

EU Countries started the mandatory phase-out of 100W and frosted incandescent light bulbs earlier this year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8367933.stm

One of our suspicions is confirmed then.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

pantherrr0
Bloody-Good Member

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 11:45:53 pm »

definatly not as  bright n the  wavelength they emit is definatly  different, =P  try looking through a camera  under eeach bulb  makes a huge difference.

that said i  have one of the  crappy  'nrg saving' ones -.-
the "warm up' time sucks too. need to turn them on   before you want to see
Report Spam   Logged
guest49
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 04:46:25 pm »

I use them where I don't need quality light, the wash-house and dunny for instance.
Anywhere else the pollies can go and get stuffed!  I want to see!
Report Spam   Logged
Ferney
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 05:00:42 pm »

Why save $37 a year on electricity and lose your eyesight. 
Report Spam   Logged
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 07:33:16 am »

Our whole house is fitted out with them - they work fine...
They didn't used to when we first crossed over - as had all sorts of problems, but these days I cant fault them.
Still better than a Kerosene lantern!

The ones which take a while to get going are ideal for a bedside lights - it gives your eyes time to adjust.
All the others - they are bright enough, they certainly don't stop us from doing anything.
The ones in the kitchen are actually brighter than the older ones we had in there, a very white light.

Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: