Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 02:09:41 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Maori flag to fly on Waitangi Day

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maori flag to fly on Waitangi Day  (Read 2807 times)
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« on: November 23, 2009, 08:34:53 pm »

A Maori flag will fly alongside the New Zealand flag at Premier House on Waitangi Day next year, Prime Minister John Key says.

There have been discussions about which Maori flag should be used on Auckland Harbour Bridge and other sites, and Mr Key said today Maori Party co-leader Pita Sharples had made a recommendation.

"I'm comfortable with the recommendation he's made but I haven't taken it to Cabinet yet," he said.

Mr Key would not say which Maori flag would be used but indicated it would be flown on more sites than before, including his official residence.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/3090346/Maori-flag-to-fly-on-Waitangi-Day
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

k1w14ever
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 08:40:35 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder.
Sir Blodsnogger
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 04:27:28 am »

That has to be one of the most audacious decisions by John Key. A travesty of justice and bloody stupid.

What about the other ethnic groups flying their flags on What is called Waitangi day. The polynesians should have a flag flying and the Union Jack,  Russian flag, Chinese flag, ABs flag and the Mongrel Mob flag.

They all contribute to the benefit of New Zealand and they are less full of shit than the Maaori party leaders are.
Report Spam   Logged
Magoo
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 04:57:01 am »

What about the other ethnic groups flying their flags on What is called Waitangi day. The polynesians should have a flag flying and the Union Jack,  Russian flag, Chinese flag, ABs flag and the Mongrel Mob flag.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/3090498/Maori-flag-set-to-show-its-colours-on-Waitangi-Day
The Maori sovereignty flag is set to fly from the prime minister's official residence on Waitangi Day.

Maori Affairs Minister Pita Sharples is understood to have recommended the red, black and white tino rangatiratanga, or sovereignty, flag fly alongside the New Zealand flag after consultations with iwi.

TV3 reported last night that the flag had won support from 80 per cent of people consulted.

Prime Minister John Key said Dr Sharples had recommended a preferred option to go to the Cabinet, but would not be drawn on what it was.

However, he said he was happy with the choice, which would be signed off in time for Waitangi Day next year. "My expectation is it would be able to fly in 2010. My intention is to fly the flag at Premier House."

Mr Key has said previously he would also be happy for any chosen flag to fly alongside the New Zealand flag at the Beehive on Waitangi and other national days.

Dr Sharples was given the green light to consult on the flag after Transit – now part of the Transport Agency – refused permission for the tino rangatiratanga flag to fly on the Auckland harbour bridge in 2008.

Mr Key has indicated any alternative flag would fly on the bridge.

UnitedFuture leader Peter Dunne, who has proposed Waitangi Day be renamed New Zealand Day to better mark it as a national day, said choosing the tino rangatiratanga flag would not be as divisive as it might have been in the past, depending on how it was flown.

"If it's flown ... alongside the New Zealand flag, fine. I wouldn't want to see it become either a de facto New Zealand flag or for it to be used to make a much stronger political point on Waitangi Day. I think that would be inflammatory."
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 05:26:19 am »

lol.

stars and stripes flew at the local school polling place, election before last.  Lifestyler Refugees from USofA having gained control of local school committee and ratepayers association forgot it might offend kiwis.
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
guest49
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 05:31:36 am »

So.....
We have  a splinter group who advocate apartheid in this country succeeding in getting their seperatist flag flown, presumably as part of the agreement for supporting ShonKeys new tax?
Report Spam   Logged
ballasted moth
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 05:32:03 am »

To paraphrase Hone H  I  have had enough of this Maori BS
Report Spam   Logged

Greens are really RED
Magoo
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 06:00:17 am »

So.....
We have  a splinter group who advocate apartheid in this country succeeding in getting their seperatist flag flown, presumably as part of the agreement for supporting ShonKeys new tax?

The ever smiling John Key seems to me to be a person who doesn't really care about what happens but saw' it'  (the job) as a 'bit of a challenge' and wondered what it would be like to steer the ship for a while and when the waves get too high he will bail and go on to make another million or three doing something  else while collecting the perks of office without a backward glance.
Report Spam   Logged
AnFaolchudubh

Faugh a ballagh!

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 06:18:05 am »

So.....

Well then it will be two flags flying beside each other that don't represent us all instead of just one!!
Report Spam   Logged

Stupid people are not an endangered species so why are we protecting them
R. S. OhAllmurain
Im2Sexy4MyPants
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 06:35:10 am »

By letting maori fly their separatist flag aren't National encouraging and giving in to racism? Roll Eyes

What about these flags flying next to the Maori flag as a sign of their mixed breed.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 06:49:43 am by Im2Sexy4MyPants » Report Spam   Logged

Are you sick of the bullshit from the sewer stream media spewed out from the usual Ken and Barby dickless talking point look a likes.

If you want to know what's going on in the real world...
And the many things that will personally effect you.
Go to
http://www.infowars.com/

AND WAKE THE F_ _K UP
Magoo
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 06:42:44 am »

By letting maori fly their separatist flag aren't National encouraging and giving in to racism?
Not if they also allow every other culture or group to fly their flag too.
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 06:47:34 am »

Oceanian Flags
Oceania consists of Australia, New Zeeland and a lot of (semi) independent islands, which all have their own flag. Can you identify all these Oceanian flags from countries like Tonga, Fiji, Guam, Solomon Islands, Hawaii, Tuvalu and New Caledonia?

Try this Oceania trivia quiz. Good luck!  Roll Eyes

http://www.triviaplaza.com/oceanian-flags-quiz/
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 06:57:40 am »

LOL Why should any other culture be allowed to fly their flag?
This is an admirable decision, couldnt have gone any other way.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Im2Sexy4MyPants

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 06:59:33 am »

Its a my flags bigger than your flag contest  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Are you sick of the bullshit from the sewer stream media spewed out from the usual Ken and Barby dickless talking point look a likes.

Go to

AND WAKE THE F_ _K UP
Brownie55
Global Moderator

OK, so what’s the speed of dark?

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 07:04:51 am »

By letting maori fly their separatist flag aren't National encouraging and giving in to racism?
Not if they also allow every other culture or group to fly their flag too.

But it is waitangi day   ...
Report Spam   Logged

I almost had a psychic boyfriend, but he left me before we met.
guest49
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2009, 07:05:18 am »

And yet you castigated South Africa for their apartheid regime......
The proponants of the seperatist flags, advocate a form of apartheid and you think its marvelous to demonstrate their symbol?
Report Spam   Logged
Im2Sexy4MyPants

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2009, 07:09:13 am »

And we will pay them heaps in our taxes to plant tree's on DOC land

Passed!

You have scored 6 out of 10 points on the
Oceanian Flags category.
Therefore you get a D

Oceanian Flags
Oceania consists of Australia, New Zeeland and a lot of (semi) independent islands, which all have their own flag. Can you identify all these Oceanian flags from countries like Tonga, Fiji, Guam, Solomon Islands, Hawaii, Tuvalu and New Caledonia?

Try this Oceania trivia quiz. Good luck!  Roll Eyes

http://www.triviaplaza.com/oceanian-flags-quiz/

Report Spam   Logged

Go to

AND WAKE THE F_ _K UP
AnFaolchudubh

Faugh a ballagh!

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2009, 07:12:11 am »

Hey sexy you forgot the Irish Flag, I worked for a Maaori company and most of the Maaori guys I worked with had Irish surnames
Report Spam   Logged

R. S. OhAllmurain
AnFaolchudubh

Faugh a ballagh!

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2009, 07:13:16 am »

Good!

You have scored 8 out of 10 points on the
Oceanian Flags category.
Therefore you get aB
Report Spam   Logged

R. S. OhAllmurain
charlie
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2009, 07:31:24 am »

I don't care if John Key's National Party want to fly the Maori soverenty flag - all I ask is that, in respect to those who have died under the New Zeland Flag, that it is not made part of this and is not flown on Wiatangi day beside the Maoris soverenty flag. 

If however the other flag (the red and white one) is flown, I have no problems at all in seeing both our flags flying every day.
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2009, 07:31:48 am »

And yet you castigated South Africa for their apartheid regime......
The proponants of the seperatist flags, advocate a form of apartheid and you think its marvelous to demonstrate their symbol?

I dont see this as being separatist though.  Maori have a flag, they are the natives of the land, their flag should fly.  Holy Jesus!  Its been 150 years and still their flag needs permission to fly!!!  I see nothing wrong with a flag for the country and one for the native inhabitants.  IMO to see this as racism is simply that, racism.

I find it appalling that Maori had to 'do a deal' to have it fly!  but ya aint heard the worst yet - more is to come - ya better sit back, get yer righteous indignation out of yer back pocket, stick it out where you can see it, cos you gonna need it  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Crusader
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2009, 07:36:18 am »

Given Waitangi day celebrates the day the treaty was signed between the crown and Maori it makes perfect sense to fly the NZ flag and the Maori flag only.
Report Spam   Logged
Im2Sexy4MyPants

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2009, 07:36:56 am »

Hey sexy you forgot the Irish Flag, I worked for a Maaori company and most of the Maaori guys I worked with had Irish surnames
Paddy said to their mums how would you like a lil bit of Irish blood in ya  Grin

Here some flags im sick of looking at

Report Spam   Logged

Go to

AND WAKE THE F_ _K UP
guest49
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2009, 07:38:11 am »

I dont see this as being separatist though.

Of course you dont.  Thats obvious!

Report Spam   Logged
charlie
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2009, 07:39:32 am »

Given Waitangi day celebrates the day the treaty was signed between the crown and Maori it makes perfect sense to fly the NZ flag and the Maori flag only.

So let them fly the Union Jack
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: