Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 06:18:02 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Mandarin tree

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mandarin tree  (Read 987 times)
Megan Au
Getting The Hang Of It

« on: February 13, 2009, 07:29:09 pm »

My boys bought me an immature  mandarin tree about 4 months ago , I water it and fertilise with a citrus fertiliser but the leaves on the new growth are curling , it has little 'slither' marks but can never see any insects .

Any ideas
Report Spam   Logged

Some people are like slinkies , you can't help but laff when they tumble down the stairs !

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 05:57:15 am »

Megan - is it in the ground or in a tub?

Firstly I would only heavy water it once a week - sounds a bit like too much water.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 09:39:35 am »

Is there any leaf discolouration i.e. yellowing?

If it is in a pot I would keep watering but stop any feeding for now. If in the ground only water it if the soil is dry one inch below the surface.

Citris trees are usually pretty hardy, under North Island conditions anyway.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Megan Au
Getting The Hang Of It

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 10:46:44 am »

Megan - is it in the ground or in a tub?

Firstly I would only heavy water it once a week - sounds a bit like too much water.

It's in a tub raised off the ground so the water can drain freely ................We have had 40+ temps here so have been giving it a water every second day , I onlly fetilise with the slow release fertiliser about every month , some of the leaves are yellowing but most are all curled ....the old growth is fine , it's just the new growth
Report Spam   Logged

Some people are like slinkies , you can't help but laff when they tumble down the stairs !
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 03:33:50 pm »

Its a worry Megan cos youve got extreme conditions at the moment - Id be using tub fertiliser for citrus - but once in 3 months.  The most common cause of curly leaves on citrus is aphids.  If yer not gonna eat them for a while get some systemic spray and give it the bash - alternatively - plant about 6 garlic bulbs into the pot.  Ants shepherd aphids so get rid of the ants too, Im guessing they will be there.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Megan Au
Getting The Hang Of It

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 11:45:47 pm »

Thanks for the great tips lovelee , I'll give it a go and let you know how I fare
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: