Xtra News Community 2
April 19, 2024, 12:34:04 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

when does enough become enough

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: when does enough become enough  (Read 552 times)
ajhunt3

« on: November 16, 2009, 04:53:35 pm »

when do police have the right to harrase people i know some folks that got searched 3 times on the way home from a weekend out with there kids at the beach where they happened to get a few paua, they got stopped and searched the first time they had 2 out of 5 that were under by the tinniest margins then not long after got stopped and searched again and one of the officers was the same guy as the first time and then the third time there were about 6 police and they searched them a third time all because of 2 paua that were only under by millimeters now i understand under is under but surely there is a difference between poaching and getting a few for your kids and really when does it become a harrasment
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 05:01:56 pm »

Where abouts were they?

BTW Fisheries Officers are not Police so a different set of rules apply.

BTW welcome to the board. Smiley
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 05:07:45 pm by ssweetpea » Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
ajhunt3

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 05:06:59 pm »

i think castle point im not 100%sure there was one fisheries officer and the rest were plain clothed officers im kinda new to this part of new zealand but even fisheries officers shouldnt have the right to hound people like that

Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 05:17:19 pm »

It would very much likely to have been a Fisheries Operation with assistance from Police.
Report Spam   Logged
Magoo
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 05:26:18 pm »

Even being a tiny bit undersized still makes them undersized.       
Welcome to the board.
Report Spam   Logged
ajhunt3

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 05:29:47 pm »

i realise that but searched 3 times stopped at 3 different points seems a bit to much especially when the limit is 10 and they only collected 5

btw thanks Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 05:32:50 pm »

Welcome from me as well
Report Spam   Logged
ajhunt3

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 05:35:29 pm »

thank you Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 05:37:58 pm »

I suspect (according to what I have seen on TV) that since the first search found undersized paua that the people concerned were automatically subjected to a second search, probably by a more senior team, then a decision was made to involve the police.

When Fisheries decide to act they can come down very hard. A few years back my BIL and some cousins had a huge load of bother over excess scallops. The limit was 20 per diver and they had 20 per adult on the boat. They tried to get out of it by saying that they were sharing dive gear. It went back and forth to court several times. Fisheries won in the end.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 05:43:00 pm »

Welcome from me too - hunt.

Cheesy

You know what power does to some - finding a couple of undersized's, they probaby thought they might find more.  Dont make it right, dont make it wrong.  Doesnt even help your friends - but next time they might be reminiscent about the catch sizes  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 05:45:30 pm »

searched the first time they had 2 out of 5 that were under by the tinniest margins

They shouldn't have had any - and they would have being flagged as ppl to watch out for next time. Fair enough.

The legal limit isn't something one should be aiming for - if you get a fish which is just on the limit or slightly over it you should throw it back for the sake of the fish socks. I've NEVER kept a fish which is just over the limit (and I've handled many many many fish!) - first and foremost you take into consideration whether or not that fish would have breed before you go keeping it...

All fair enough I reckon.
Good on them for doing their job.
If they didn't there wouldn't be anything left.

And yep - WELCOME!!
Report Spam   Logged

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
ajhunt3

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 05:48:57 pm »

thanks guys Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Justic
Global Moderator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 06:06:11 pm »

thanks guys Smiley

Welcome ajhunt
Report Spam   Logged

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
ajhunt3

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 06:08:32 pm »

thanks mate
Report Spam   Logged
DidiMau69
Shit-Hot Member

On patrol Bien Hoa Province 1969

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 06:18:26 pm »

I catch all of my fish from my favourite fishing spot in Tamatea, Napier.

It's called Pak n Sav, they have fresh fish in blue boxes and even have a Mussel Reef where you don't even have to get your feet wet.

There's no limits and no Fisheries Officers.
Report Spam   Logged

Walk softly and carry a big stick. - Theodore Roosevelt.
Calliope
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

If music be the food of love, play on

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2009, 09:20:15 pm »

actually I am glad to see the fisheries officers taking their job seriously. I just wish we had a few more of them.
and welcome aj.
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times
Sir Blodsnogger
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2009, 03:52:35 am »

Every fisheries officer should be given a K9 mate to bite sea robbers who steal from our seas. AND a great big taser gun for those who swear at them.
TYhey are champions of our ecology and deserve better treatment at the hands of those slime balls that break the rules
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: