Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 05:33:58 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Emery sentenced

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Emery sentenced  (Read 590 times)
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« on: February 13, 2009, 08:47:19 am »

4 years and 3 months for killing the tagger.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Newtown-Fella
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 08:58:49 am »

Tagger's killer sentenced to 4 years, 3 months
13-Feb 10:45

The Auckland businessman who stabbed to death a teenage tagger was sentenced to four years and three months in jail at the Auckland High Court this morning.

In December last year 51-year-old Bruce Emery was found not guilty of murdering Pihema Cameron but guilty of a lesser charge of manslaughter.

In court this morning Emery showed little emotion as the Pihema Cameron's mother Leanne Cameron called for Justice Hugh Williams to hand out the harshest penalty.

She says her son's killing was senseless and Emery's brutal act has destroyed her entire family.

Emery's lawyer Chris Comeskey has indicated previously that his client may appeal the manslaughter verdict.

http://www.3news.co.nz/News/NationalNews/Taggers-killer-sentenced-to-4-years-3-months/tabid/423/articleID/90998/cat/64/Default.aspx
Report Spam   Logged
Shef
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 03:33:43 pm »

I abhor what this guy did. I can understand that he snapped and did something senseless and stupid. But to think that Curtis senior got almost the same sentence for terrorising and systematcally torturing a young child (and let other ADULTS do the same) for the most part of her life makes me feel sick and angry !!!
Report Spam   Logged

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.
Calliope
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

If music be the food of love, play on

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 09:34:52 pm »

I would agree with the 4 and a half years if Emery had shown some compassion and done something to help the kid after he had stabbed him but he went home, hid the knife and went to bed. I honestly believe they got the verdict wrong and that this man deliberately intended to stick a knife into the tagger.
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times
Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 09:44:30 pm »

I suppose there's no really a lot of difference between discovering a tagger vandalising your property at night, then chasing them down the road and killing them with a knife; and discovering someone in dark clothes interfering with a vehicle on your property at night, then chasing them down the road and killing them with an air rifle.

Garth McVicar stated on Radio NZ National that Emery was justified in killing the teenager (I couldn't believe my ears when I heard that), yet when the announcer pulled him up over it and suggested that if "that was the case" then it would be okay to chase someone down the road and shoot them with a high-powered air rifle killing the in the process if you had discovered the perpetrator inferfering with a motor vehicle on your property late at night while dressed in dark clothes and running away as this teenager had done, Garth spat the dummy and claimed that the second example was the deliberate killing of a police officer. The announcer then asked Garth how one was supposed to know that a person in dark clothes interferring with motor vehcles on your property was a police officer, especially when e failed to identify himself as such and ran away when caught (as you would expect an offender to do). Garth went strangely silent!!

The radio news item created as a result of that (broadcast live) interview is still archived within the News section of the Radio NZ website if you search for it using the site's search engine.
Report Spam   Logged
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 10:33:52 pm »

none of this whole mess would have happened had the kid been raised properly in the first place ...

i watched his mother blubber on TV tonight with a gaggle of "im looking sad" presumably family members complaining that Emery had shown no remorse at sentencing

all she is worried about is her apparent "saint" of a son

no mention from her that what he did isn't appreciated in a large part of society and costs thousands of dollars a year to repair

no sign of a father figure in the gaggle of people either

guess her response to the question " why did you allow your son to tag other peoples property " would probably be responded with " oh but my boy is an angel he wouldn't do that i brought him up proper "

everyone involved in this saga has a hell of a lot to loose and deal with

Emery has a business a wife and 3 kids and an enormous legal bill to pay by selling probably both of the properties he owns leaving his wife and kids homeless and then ther is his business to take into account..

Ms Blubberer will probably fall into the arms of the next man that says hello to her and expresses some sentiment around her sons death and in 9 months time pop out another kid all along being kept by the state in a state house

in a couple of years time Emery will be out walking the streets hoping to rekindle his marriage his relationship with his kids rebuild his business and hopefully get a mortgage to rehouse them all

something that will be difficult being a convicted criminal

what happened happened out of frustration over constant tagging

time for everyone to move on

stop dwelling on the past

everyone in this needs to take responsibility for what happened including the mother if she had raised her son to have respect then he wouldn't have been a tagging
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 10:37:22 pm by Newtown-Fella » Report Spam   Logged
Ferney

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 11:41:56 pm »

His father is a tetraplegic NT.  Maybe thats why you didn't see him at the court.    He was living with and taking care of his father at the time of the tagging and the mother was working in Australia. 
I can understand Emery's anger but the boy didn't deserve to die.    I loathe tagging and think if it was done to my property I would like to drown them in a tin of paint.  But I wouldn't do it.
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 06:26:55 am »

I think Emery was lucky to only get 4 years - damned lucky!!
Should be a minimum of 10 yrs - he took a life - he intended to take a life.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Magpie
Part-Of-The-Furniture Member

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 08:41:02 am »

KTJ is right, Garth McVicar should be ashamed of himself.

The Sensible Sentencing Trust seems to be his personal baby and he uses it and its membership to peddle his own warped view of the world.

As a result, an organisation that could do a lot of good has zero credibility.
Report Spam   Logged

I have nothing to declare but my genius - Oscar Wilde at US Customs
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 08:43:44 am »

isn't life grand ... for weeks now we will hear daily reports of how a dysfunctional family copes in the aftermath of a killing...

this report sums up a lot about the sister [ and probably the rest of the family of the dead boy ]

here we have a 15 yo drinking smoking pot and bumming around [ is she pregnant yet ? ]

great parenting skills being shown by her mother and father allowing her to get drunk and stoned at 15 !!

Ms Cameron can continue on with her life working in Aussie and leaving her tetraplegic husband behind to raise her broad in a State House whilst Mrs emery and her 3 kids wil have to move cities and probably end up in a State house as well whilst they wait for Mr Emery to be released then the whole lot of them will have to move well away from their extended families for fear of their own lives

Tagger's killer calm amid words of hatred

The sister of teenage tagger Pihema Cameron says her life has hit rock bottom since he was killed by an enraged businessman.

"Bruce Emery pulled my heart out and ripped it to pieces," Aquitania Cameron, 15, said.

In January last year, South Auckland businessman Bruce Emery, 51, spotted two teenagers tagging his property from his upstairs bedroom window.

Racing downstairs, he grabbed a knife and chased them 360 metres into a dead-end street. Moments later, 15-year-old Pihema was dead from a single stab wound to the chest.

In December Emery was found not guilty of murder but guilty of manslaughter.

At Emery's sentencing yesterday in the High Court at Auckland, Aquitania said her life had hit rock bottom since her brother's death.

"I've dropped out of school, I can't hack it," she said.

Some of her teachers had even told her Pihema deserved what he got and she should "get over it".

"I just stay at home and bum around ... and get stoned and drink alcohol," Aquitania said.

Justice Hugh Williams sentenced Emery to four years and three months in prison. Aquitania labelled the sentence "bullshit".

"He should have got 10 years."

Inside the court, Aquitania said she wanted to rip Emery's eyeballs out with her fingernails

She was one of seven family members who read out victim impact statements before Emery was sentenced.

Emery remained impassive as words of hatred were fired across the courtroom at him.

His lack of emotion enraged Pihema's mother, Lorraine Cameron.

"He has shown no remorse. He thinks he has done no wrong, that my son walked into him, but he was the one who took a knife and followed him for 360 metres," she told the court.

"He could have turned around. Instead he chose to end my son's life. I've never felt so much hatred for a person ... He destroyed and broke up my family over a bit of paint."

Crown prosecutor Aaron Perkins said that Pihema had not threatened "the personal safety of the prisoner or his family".

But Emery's lawyer, Chris Comeskey, said a huge number of people felt empathy and sympathy for his client.

"A great proportion of New Zealanders can identify with the situation he found himself in."

Mr Comeskey asked that Emery be given home detention, saying a full custodial sentence was too severe.

Justice Williams said though he accepted Emery was an "upright, respectable member of the community" and "may have picked up the knife for his protection", he did nothing to help Pihema after stabbing him or when he got home. Instead he washed the knife and secreted it away, Mr Williams said.

Mr Comeskey planned to talk to Emery about lodging an appeal.

He called for donations to help Emery's "tapped out" family.

"I hold huge concern for his family and how they are struggling. This has cost them an awful lot of money."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominionpost/4847088a6000.html
Report Spam   Logged
Calliope

If music be the food of love, play on

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 08:50:51 am »

I wonder how they would have reported this had it been the other way around.
If the tagger had been a "white boy" and the killer "Black" and their lives the same as Emery and Cameron.
I imagine there would have been no sympathy for the "black" Killer even if he was an upstanding member of the community, and all the sympathy would have gone to the poor little "white" boy.

Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times
dragontamer
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 08:53:58 am »

4 & 1/2 years is reasonable IF, as reported, the kids ran back at him.  

Everyone involved needs to own their own shit.

Emery shouldn't have had a knife.  Cameron & his cohort had a whole raft of shouldn'ts... shouldn't have been tagging, shouldn't have been on the private property, shouldn't have turned and threatened.......

Chris Comeskey shouldn't open his stupid mouth.
Report Spam   Logged
Ferney

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 09:13:19 am »

Emery should have got 8-10 years.  He made a decision to take a knife and CHASE AFTER THE BOYS.       Emery is responsible for his wife and daughters having to do without him for the next few years.   

Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2009, 09:48:54 am »

4 & 1/2 years is reasonable IF, as reported, the kids ran back at him.  

Everyone involved needs to own their own shit.

Emery shouldn't have had a knife.  Cameron & his cohort had a whole raft of shouldn'ts... shouldn't have been tagging, shouldn't have been on the private property, shouldn't have turned and threatened.......

Chris Comeskey shouldn't open his stupid mouth.

Well said
Report Spam   Logged
Magpie
Part-Of-The-Furniture Member

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 02:48:17 pm »

The Sensible Sentencing Trust says it wanted to see the killer of a teenage tagger set free, because he was forced to take the law into his own hands.

Bruce Emery, 50, was found guilty on Friday of manslaughter for the fatal stabbing of Pihema Cameron, 15.

He caught the teenager spray-painting his garage door in Manurewa in January.

Trust spokesperson Garth McVicar says the verdict is a shame, because he understands the frustration Emery was going through when he caught the tagger at his house.

He says the trust would have liked to have seen Emery discharged altogether.

Mr McVicar says this would have sent a message that minor crimes like graffitti need to be dealt with seriously.

Otherwise, with the continual breakdown of law and order, he says people will become frustrated and forced to breaking-point.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/stories/2008/12/13/1243859222dd

Mr McVicar needs a reality check. No-one is forced to break the law and being pissed off is no excuse to take a life.
Report Spam   Logged

I have nothing to declare but my genius - Oscar Wilde at US Customs
bump head benny
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2009, 03:01:26 pm »

Again we find ourselves despairing because of bullshit American street culture, tagging is a part of hip hop and rap cultures, all American based, all of it polluting our kids minds, eyes and ears. Its horse shit dressed up as pop fashion.
Report Spam   Logged

Lets kill all the warmongers.
c.p
Getting The Hang Of It

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2009, 07:08:37 pm »

its called popular culture
Report Spam   Logged
bump head benny
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2009, 07:16:20 pm »

I know that...just seeing if anyones awake?

Report Spam   Logged

Lets kill all the warmongers.
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2009, 07:45:45 am »

Jail hit fears for tagger killer

BRUCE Emery last night told of his fears for his family as he began a prison sentence for the manslaughter of teen tagger Pihema Cameron.

Responding to questions submitted by Sunday News through his lawyer Chris Comeskey, Emery said his wife Sotju and their three teenage daughters were struggling to come to terms with losing a husband and father.

"I am devastated. I worry about my wife and children all the time," he said.

Emery, 51, had been forced to shut down his business and his wife now had to make do on a benefit.

"I would be grateful for any support they could get," he said.

He also had concerns for his 80-year-old mother, who missed the trial but turned up at Friday's sentencing, at Auckland High Court.

She was not well and would react badly to the thought of her son spending the next few years in prison.

Prison sources said Killer Beez gang members and associates in Auckland's Mt Eden Prison have discussed a hit on Emery.

He said he was unaware of any prospective attack but he was having great difficulty adapting to prison life.

"I am finding that I am the odd man out here I do not understand the culture," Emery said.

"But I am grateful that there seem to be people here that are looking out for me."

Emery expressed his remorse over Pihema's death, telling Sunday News: "There are a lot of days I cry over this. Every day I ask for forgiveness."

But while he was reluctant to criticise the Cameron family for their anger towards him, he said he thought some of their comments towards him were a "little over the top".

In her victim impact statement, which was read out to the court on Friday, Pihema's mother Leanne Cameron said she had never felt so much hatred for a person.

"He destroyed and broke up my family over a bit of paint," she said.

A teen relative also blamed Pihema's death for her decision to quit school and take up drugs and alcohol.

"Bruce Emery pulled my heart out and ripped it to pieces," she said.

Cameron died alone in a dark Manurewa, south Auckland, cul-de-sac after being stabbed in the chest by Emery who had confronted the teen and a friend after the pair tagged his garage.

Comeskey said he was also "surprised" at some of the remarks made by the Cameron family on Friday.

He said the family's focus should be on the future rather than a lingering fury towards Emery.

"Common sense needs to prevail,"
Comeskey said.

Both Emery and Comeskey said questions needed to be asked about what Pihema, at 15, was doing out at 11.30 on the night of his fatal stabbing under the influence of alcohol and cannabis, and tagging properties.
[ simple LACK of parental control ][

Emery was sentenced to four years and three months for Cameron's manslaughter, but under current parole laws could be eligible for home detention in 11 months.

There is also the prospect of an appeal over "a point of law".

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sundaynews/4848069a15596.html
Report Spam   Logged
guest49
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2009, 08:18:20 am »

No-one is forced to break the law

Well said!
No-one should have to defend their property - or themselves - against the attacks of criminals. 
If the police and courts were doing their jobs, these thugs would be too concerned about being banged up, to go out in the dead of night on crime sprees - whether its vandalism, killing prostitutes, or robbing pizza delivery boys.

If the police put as much energy into catching these social degenerates as they do to harrassing motorists, the streets would be squeaky clean.
If the courts imposed a real sentence instead of giving criminals their 6th consecutive final chance, the streets might be in a better condition.
If politicians stopped tinkering with the justice system to placate the third world wankers that run the UN, and tossers like the idiots from the Howard League, the community might be a safer place.
Report Spam   Logged
wgtngirl
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2009, 08:34:47 am »

There is no justification for taking a life.  Yes the boys broke the law by tagging, but Emery also broke the law with his actions.
Report Spam   Logged
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2009, 08:58:04 am »

people break the law drink driving and kill some other innocent motorist

what do they get as a sentence for manslaughter ?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 01:39:38 pm by Newtown-Fella » Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2009, 09:11:46 am »

people break teh law drink driving and kill some other innocent motorist

I met this one inside

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10506263

What she did was horrific and she should have got a longer sentence IMO.

However, I dont think its good to compare cases like that.  This incident happened when there was a raging uproar in the country over tagging - this guy had been tagged over and over - he was angry about the damage to his property that the cops could do nothing about.  The anger got the better of him I think.  At the end of the day he killed a defenseless child.  I still feel he should have got at least 10 years.

What is the message given?  What is the message recieved by the community over this?

Is it 'killing someone damaging your property is not that bad - a few months is all you will really get.'
Is it 'tagging might get you killed?'
Report Spam   Logged

Justic
Global Moderator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2009, 09:46:30 am »

people break teh law drink driving and kill some other innocent motorist

Most of them think they are in control of their vehicle and their intent is not end someone elses life.

Once more we see the victim of a crime being judged. 

IMHO it is a sad indictment of the Kiwi psyche when we think it is OK to take a knife to defend your garage door from a tagger.

Ferkkkkk meeeee !  Perhaps some of you hitlers need to stock up your gas ovens so you can dispose of those you don't want breathing in your precious oxygen
Report Spam   Logged

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2009, 01:45:49 pm »

Most of them think they are in control of their vehicle and their intent is not end someone elses life

and Emery didnt have any intent to commit manslaughter either

he had a knife which he hoped the two taggers would see and be scared and flee however they came running towards him and one got stabbed and died

if you read the link in L'lees post you will see the girl got two years for drunk driving...

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: