Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 04:28:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Tagging study pours cold water on old remedies

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tagging study pours cold water on old remedies  (Read 321 times)
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« on: November 09, 2009, 04:31:26 am »

Tagging study pours cold water on old remedies
4:00AM Monday Nov 09, 2009
By Alanah May Eriksen

Taggers have trashed initiatives aimed at preventing graffiti, saying it just encourages them to keep vandalising private and public spaces.

New research aimed at understanding offender motivation may have implications for policy-makers and other agencies.

The $25,000 study, titled Tagging and Graffiti: Attitudes and Experiences of Young New Zealanders and released to the Herald under the Official Information Act, was carried out by three lecturers in Victoria University's Institute of Criminology and commissioned by the Ministry of Justice.

More than 700 people - aged from under 14 up to 40 - responded and focus groups were held around the country.

Of those interviewed, 42.5 per cent either tagged or had done so at some point.

Several councils have policies in place to remove graffiti within 24 hours of a site being vandalised.

But only 3.4 per cent of taggers and 3 per cent of "sometimes taggers" said quick removal was a reason to stop.

Respondents were given options on what was likely to make them stop. These included: being caught, apprehension by police, family disapproval or friends not liking what they were doing.

The most common response was that none of the strategies would lead them to stop (46.9 per cent of taggers and 64.4 per cent of "sometimes" taggers) followed by police apprehension (20.3 per cent of taggers and 23.9 per cent of "sometimes" taggers).

The illegality of graffiti only made it more attractive to most respondents.

Eradication programmes were based on the assumption the presence of graffiti encouraged imitative behaviour, the researchers said. But the removal effectively contested control over territory, which heightened the risks and challenges that attracted taggers in the first place.

Stronger punishments only added to the attraction and would probably elevate their status among their peers.

One respondent said: "If you succeed and go to jail you will be seen as a hero among that group or among your friends or whatever."

Taggers also trashed a Wellington police initiative that made taggers wear pink vests while on community work sentences cleaning up local graffiti.

Several survey respondents said the vests were a like a "badge of honour".

One explained, "Cos if you have one of those jackets and you are scrubbing off a 'mean as' piece, that is fame."

Suggestions to stop graffiti included allocating sites where artists could tag freely.

There was also evidence that taggers did not write on spots where other artists had painted murals in their town.

The survey was part of the Stop Tagging Our Place Strategy (STOP Strategy) launched in September last year to provide a framework for reducing graffiti in New Zealand following the passing of the Summary Offences (Tagging and Graffiti Vandalism) Amendment Act in June 2008.

The act prohibits the sale of canned spray paint to people younger than 18 and introduces community-based sentences for taggers.

The ministry's acting general manager of crime prevention and criminal justice, Malcolm Luey, said the report was still to undergo a final peer review process so the information was subject to change.

He said it was the first research document to provide a New Zealand context on graffiti and might inform future policy work.

* Taggers

81.9 per cent agreed or strongly agreed graffiti should be tolerated in some circumstances and 12.2 per cent felt it was a bad thing in all cases.

22.9 per cent said they strongly agreed the illegality of it made it more attractive.

Only 3.4 per cent of regular and 3 per cent of "sometimes" taggers said quick removal of graffiti was a reason to stop.

Public spaces such as alleyways, bus shelters and power boxes were the most common targets for graffiti, followed by public buildings such as schools, private residences, waste grounds and private businesses.

Most taggers called their work "graffiti art", followed by tagging, stylised writing, political expression and vandalism.

The main reason for tagging was for creative expression (47.2 per cent). Only 1.9 per cent said it was so they could damage something and 1.6 per cent for the sense of danger.

Almost 70 per cent of taggers said they would graffiti again and 16 per cent said they might do again.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10608116
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 04:42:44 am »

I have a remedie - I have an idea which could stop it there and then.
I have an idea were if you tag you WILL get caught - it's that simple.

With my idea - if you're going to tag anything then you may as well put your name, address and phone number on it as well.

I took mt idea to the Govt  - they weren't interested.

Now it's just another one my my ideas in my 'ideas' scrap book.
 Undecided
Report Spam   Logged

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
Magoo
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 04:43:00 am »

We went on the Transalpine recently and I was surprised at the amount of tagging along the route out of ChCh.    Most of it was very spectacular and would require a good eye and a large dollop of talent to produce tags of that size and it is such a shame to see talent being wasted.   There are some areas of industrial sites that could benefit from taggers handiwork if they would isolate their sprayings to allocated walls.   It would be good if we didn't have to track down the assistant in Bunnings everytime we need a can of paint too.  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
guest49
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 05:05:09 am »

A simple middle east remedy would do more to stop graffiti than anything these overpaid academics can come up with.
Amputation of the offenders hand at the wrist would stop the activity instantly.
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 05:09:35 am »

A simple middle east remedy would do more to stop graffiti than anything these overpaid academics can come up with.
Amputation of the offenders hand at the wrist would stop the activity instantly.

Awww sheesh, yak, that's a bit drastic, two index fingers would probably be enough

Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
dragontamer
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 06:47:07 am »

Mum and dads place got tagged last week.

Middle of nowhere.  New neighbours.  They used the paint that they had just painted 2 bedrooms with to write A6W on the road, then climbed a 6 foot bank and wiped the paint brush all up and down the brown fence.

If she was planning on staying a while she just made it difficult.  She's on the DPB and HE'S not supposed to be there.

Plus there is a cop living just above them - he's already taken an interest as he has to drive passed it all every day.
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 06:56:37 am »

I have a remedie - I have an idea which could stop it there and then.
I have an idea were if you tag you WILL get caught - it's that simple.

With my idea - if you're going to tag anything then you may as well put your name, address and phone number on it as well.

I took mt idea to the Govt  - they weren't interested.

Now it's just another one my my ideas in my 'ideas' scrap book.
 Undecided

Daz did u see the article I posted about nanoparticles last week??
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 07:13:37 am »

Yep - sure did.

Wink

Lol...  there's nothing wrong with your memory is there!!

Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 07:55:32 am »

Yep - sure did.

Wink

Lol...  there's nothing wrong with your memory is there!!

A good idea is a good idea  Grin  Shame you dont have millions you could do it yourself.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 08:06:06 am »

Millions are easy enough to come by (not that they would be needed) - especially when there's a return on it... it's time and contacts which are the problem!

Speaking of which - I had better get to work... deadline to meet tomorrow.

Report Spam   Logged

ssweetpea

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 01:49:51 pm »

I have noticed a huge drop in tagging around here since they locked up the spray cans.

Etching however is in plague proportions thanks largely to the new style bus shelters.

We didn't get anything that could be called art work around here. It was single colour scribble - nothing more.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: