Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 05:58:12 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

The vege gardens in

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The vege gardens in  (Read 831 times)
dragontamer
« on: November 05, 2009, 09:05:30 am »

Tomato
Beetroot
Lettuce (not iceberg)
Zucchini
Bell Peppers
Peas
Silverbeet
Carrots
Spinach (2 varieties including seeds of native spinach)

.... but I feel I need more lol

Potatos are going in under our bedroom windows this year.  Nothing has ever really grown there because of the trees in the park, but the sun gets in now, so I'll put in potato to get it started.

I've put in italian parsley, mint and rubarb finally too.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 09:15:35 am »

LOL when I was younger I had a big vege garden but I dont bother so much now.  Ive got a couple of tomatoes in, some silverbeet and a raspberry bush.  The neighbour grows enough for the whole village  Grin  As well as native spinach - thats damned yummy!

We supply the village with herbs.  Tarrragon, dill, marjoram, onion and garlic chives, parsley, lovage, horseradish and mint.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 10:05:05 am »

Don't forget the slug slam.

The snails round here are eatting my lettuse as soon as I plant them Angry

No kidding. I planted 12 on Tuesday and by Thurday there were 5 left. Angry Angry
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 02:47:54 pm »

LOL Yeh Im slammin slugs too - got a heap of dahlias coming up - but the slugs arnt getting them.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 04:19:17 pm »

Just a few notes I have gleened from a couple of magazines:

You need about 10 sqm of garden bed to grow all the annual crops for 1 person. More space is needed for the perennial crops e.g. rhubarb, asparagus, scarlet runner beans. For a family of 4-5 that works out at about 40-60sqm  of planted beds. Double that to allow for paths, storage, idle ground etc.

Every 10 sqm of garden requires about 1 hour per week to keep well tended.

Vegetables in general require 6 hours of sunlight per day.

Avoid planting your garden close to trees and shubs as they will shade it and compete for nutrients and water (found that out the hard way).

To work out how much and what to plant:

Write a list of all the things that you eat that can be grown in a garden. You can include things that you normally buy tinned or frozen but exclude anything that you know won't grow in your climate. (A)

Work out you annual consumption e.g. if you buy 1.5kg of carrots a week that works out at 78kg a year, one lettuce a week for half the year equals 26(B)

Some rules of thumb are:

2.5kg of tomatoes produce 1 litre of tomato sauce
It takes 10 rocket or similar salad greens to fill a supermarket bag of mesclun.
Tinned vegetables are about 50% water so 10 x 400g of kidney beans equates 2kg of fresh home grown.
Dried vegetables are 90% lighter than fresh so 60g fresh chilles will dry to 6g of chilli powder.

Work out the amount you need to havest (C) Note: this may be the same as (B)

Work out the yeild per plant i.e average carrot weights 75g, an onion =150g etc one courgette plant will keep one person in courgettes until they are sick of them. Use your own experience.(D)
Allow for some attrition for seeds that don't come up, slugs and snails etc e.g. 5% for mesclun 20% for lettuces. (E)
plug you numbers into the following formula

C/D + (C/D x E ) = number of plants required (in theory anyway)

The back of the seed packet or punnet label will tell you how much space each plant needs.

Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: