Xtra News Community 2
April 18, 2024, 06:58:56 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Harawira skips EU meeting for Paris jaunt

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Harawira skips EU meeting for Paris jaunt  (Read 4789 times)
Sir Blodsnogger
« Reply #200 on: November 11, 2009, 05:27:53 pm »

Harairyarse is one of the worst people I have met.
Report Spam   Logged
Brownie55
Global Moderator
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

OK, so what’s the speed of dark?

« Reply #201 on: November 11, 2009, 07:40:20 pm »

From Lovelee

They are almost impossible to discuss this stuff with - even though I understand where they are coming from.

If you understand where they are coming from please pass it on because I don't.
Report Spam   Logged

I almost had a psychic boyfriend, but he left me before we met.
Brownie55
Global Moderator

OK, so what’s the speed of dark?

« Reply #202 on: November 11, 2009, 07:45:17 pm »

Is this a double standard, Joris?
November 11th, 2009 at 1:57 pm by Jadis
This morning the Human Rights Commission kindly posted what action was taken following Paul Holmes’ “racial slur” of then Secretary-General of the UN, Kofi Anan – back in 2003.  To put it neatly, Joris “informally mediated” (his words) the following to occur:

1. Paul Holmes and the station would write a personal letter of apology to Kofi Annan
2. Paul Holmes would offer to meet with the Ghanaian Association of New Zealand
3. The Race Relations Commissioner would be invited to address a seminar for radio hosts and production staff on race relations and broadcasting standards
4. Newstalk ZB would in general uphold the complaints it had received rather than contest them before the Broadcasting Standards Authority
5. Newstalk ZB would continue to look at ways to promote positive race relations in New Zealand through its programme of community support
6. Newstalk ZB would adopt a new policy for its staff, who were in a position to lead and shape opinion, that judgments based solely on race, colour or creed were offensive and would not be tolerated.
Given that the Commission and de Bres have said they have received a large number of complaints (250) about Harawira’s comments what action will the Commission seek from Hone Harawira and the Maori Party?

At the moment Joris has said the Maori Party need to distance itself from Hone.  Joris says he will “aid and continue to monitor the situation”.  Joris also says that Hone’s comment aren’t actually illegal under the Act -

Hmmm… is this what Joris said when Holmes was the culprit of a similar racial slur?

“It is a free country but people who have positions of responsibility.. should also exercise their responsibility appropriately.”

So, Joris, given that Hone is in a position of responsibility did he exercise that responsibility appropriately?

I’m looking forward to the following deal “informally mediated” by Joris:

1. [Hone Harawira and the Maori Party] would write a personal letter of apology to [Pakeha New Zealanders]
2. [Hone Harawira] would offer to meet with the [Leaders of the Pakeha community]
3. The Race Relations Commissioner would be invited to address a seminar for [Hone Harawira and the Maori Party (and any other MP)] on race relations
4. [The NZ Parliament and the Maori Party] would in general uphold the complaints it had received rather than contest them before [the NZ public]
5. [The Maori Party and Hone Harawira] would continue to look at ways to promote positive race relations in New Zealand
6. [The Maori Party] would adopt a new policy for its [MPs] who were in a position to lead and shape opinion, that judgments based solely on race, colour or creed were offensive and would not be tolerated.
While it is true that the Holmes case referred specifically to a broadcast, Hone Harawira effectively allowed for his words to be published when he told Buddy Mikaere to go to the media with them.

Is this a double standard?  Not yet.  I’m sure Joris is working hard behind the scenes… somewhere.

http://www.kiwiblog.co.nz/2009/11/is_this_a_double_standard_joris.html
Report Spam   Logged

I almost had a psychic boyfriend, but he left me before we met.
Sir Blodsnogger
« Reply #203 on: November 12, 2009, 02:53:49 am »

Maori may be struggling with the spelling of 'apology' honeweara would not know how to say it.
Report Spam   Logged
Ferney

« Reply #204 on: November 12, 2009, 11:14:31 am »

Will Hone skip the hui ?   maybe go sightseeing instead ?

Someone  mentioned bullies.   Hone's family were always bullies.  He and his siblings were bullies at school.  Probably something to do with their Basher mother.
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #205 on: November 12, 2009, 11:27:44 am »

Is this a double standard, Joris?
November 11th, 2009 at 1:57 pm by Jadis
This morning the Human Rights Commission kindly posted what action was taken following Paul Holmes’ “racial slur” of then Secretary-General of the UN, Kofi Anan – back in 2003.  To put it neatly, Joris “informally mediated” (his words) the following to occur:

1. Paul Holmes and the station would write a personal letter of apology to Kofi Annan
2. Paul Holmes would offer to meet with the Ghanaian Association of New Zealand
3. The Race Relations Commissioner would be invited to address a seminar for radio hosts and production staff on race relations and broadcasting standards
4. Newstalk ZB would in general uphold the complaints it had received rather than contest them before the Broadcasting Standards Authority
5. Newstalk ZB would continue to look at ways to promote positive race relations in New Zealand through its programme of community support
6. Newstalk ZB would adopt a new policy for its staff, who were in a position to lead and shape opinion, that judgments based solely on race, colour or creed were offensive and would not be tolerated.
Given that the Commission and de Bres have said they have received a large number of complaints (250) about Harawira’s comments what action will the Commission seek from Hone Harawira and the Maori Party?

At the moment Joris has said the Maori Party need to distance itself from Hone.  Joris says he will “aid and continue to monitor the situation”.  Joris also says that Hone’s comment aren’t actually illegal under the Act -

Hmmm… is this what Joris said when Holmes was the culprit of a similar racial slur?

“It is a free country but people who have positions of responsibility.. should also exercise their responsibility appropriately.”

So, Joris, given that Hone is in a position of responsibility did he exercise that responsibility appropriately?

I’m looking forward to the following deal “informally mediated” by Joris:

1. [Hone Harawira and the Maori Party] would write a personal letter of apology to [Pakeha New Zealanders]
2. [Hone Harawira] would offer to meet with the [Leaders of the Pakeha community]
3. The Race Relations Commissioner would be invited to address a seminar for [Hone Harawira and the Maori Party (and any other MP)] on race relations
4. [The NZ Parliament and the Maori Party] would in general uphold the complaints it had received rather than contest them before [the NZ public]
5. [The Maori Party and Hone Harawira] would continue to look at ways to promote positive race relations in New Zealand
6. [The Maori Party] would adopt a new policy for its [MPs] who were in a position to lead and shape opinion, that judgments based solely on race, colour or creed were offensive and would not be tolerated.
While it is true that the Holmes case referred specifically to a broadcast, Hone Harawira effectively allowed for his words to be published when he told Buddy Mikaere to go to the media with them.

Is this a double standard?  Not yet.  I’m sure Joris is working hard behind the scenes… somewhere.

http://www.kiwiblog.co.nz/2009/11/is_this_a_double_standard_joris.html

I’m sure Joris is working hard behind the scenes… somewhere.

probably taking a wee cuppa and a friendly chat with at least ONE of the other two on the European parliamentary delegation ?

Ummmmmm

Maybe with Joris's own predecessor? 
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
Sir Blodsnogger
« Reply #206 on: November 12, 2009, 01:55:24 pm »

Why is hone harawera permitted to give a Mongrel Mob sign when appearing in camera video footage.
do they pay him to do that. Is he on their advertising budget
Report Spam   Logged
charlie
« Reply #207 on: November 12, 2009, 04:07:53 pm »

I see that Sharples, who is a minister, attended a metting with Hone that forbade non Maori media. To me this shows that Hone is in just the right party. Any minister or any party with any descency would avoid such a meeting but the Maori party have confirmed what they are all about. No minister should have attended. I will be interested to see how Key reacts to this.

Report Spam   Logged
Calliope

If music be the food of love, play on

« Reply #208 on: November 12, 2009, 08:54:30 pm »

Hone Harawira. Photo / Richard Robinson
Hone Harawira. Photo / Richard Robinson

Firebrand MP Hone Harawira has been given two weeks to decide if he wants to remain a Maori Party MP, in the wake of his racially abusive comments about white people.

At a hui in his electorate on the outskirts of Kaitaia today, Mr Harawira was told he could become an independent MP, party president Professor Whatarangi Winiata told reporters.

Mr Harawira rejected that as "the silliest idea I've heard".

The hui was held as the Maori Party pondered what to do with their fast-talking MP, who has been in the headlines for the past week.

Co-leaders Pita Sharples and Tariana Turia had distanced themselves after his "white motherf....rs" comment in an email, a reaction to criticism of his unauthorised trip to Paris while on a parliamentary trip to Europe.

Mrs Turia said yesterday his comments had damaged the party and it was up to Mr Harawira's local electorate to decide how he should atone for them.

Dr Sharples did attend the hui, which was attended by about 200 people and lasted about three hours.

more at http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10608860
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times
Magoo
« Reply #209 on: November 13, 2009, 03:45:07 am »

Mr Harawira rejected that as "the silliest idea I've heard".
He just doesn't know when to shut up.  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
charlie
« Reply #210 on: November 15, 2009, 08:09:44 am »

Hone Harawira makes us want Helen back
By MICHAEL LAWS - Sunday Star Times

OPINION: It was entirely typical that the Kaitaia hui tasked with deciding Hone Harawira's political future was open only to Maori media. The colour of one's skin determined access and the mainstream media supinely accepted this latest racial snub.

Which is the liberal dilemma this morning: what to do with a Maori MP when he is utterly representative of an anger within Maoridom. An anger that has been allowed to bubble unchallenged, and then subsidised with decades of taxpayer money. An anger that blames all Maoridom's ills upon the cursed colonial invader.

That the Maori Party leadership are similarly flummoxed is rich irony. For they have deliberately inflamed Harawira's supporters and purposefully argued for redress and then privilege. That Harawira took them literally should not surprise.

And let's be clear about this. Hone Harawira is a racist. He loathes the white man and he has no difficulty with expressing that loathing.

And his message is very clear too. If you are Maori, and you are at the bottom of the heap, then it is the direct fault of Pakeha. The concept of personal responsibility is alien. And given that the Maori Party leadership have, in the past, expressed similar sentiments, then they cannot expel the Te Tai Tokerau MP for his real crime.

Instead they have a new excuse. That Hone doesn't accept caucus discipline or a wider responsibility to the party membership. They are not considering his future because he wallowed in a Parisian trough somewhere. Nor that he thinks all white people are motherf-----s.

And yet, politically at least, Hone Harawira is the original tar baby. Everyone remotely connected with him has ended up getting messy also.

First, there is the Maori Party. Their racial divisiveness has been thrown into stark relief: they are a party of race for race. They can no longer be seen as that nice Pita Sharples and cuddly Aunty Tariana. They are a party that harbours a membership that thinks like Hone.

Prime Minister John Key similarly has sticky fingers this morning. Because he has been weak from the get-go. Instead of quickly and forcibly expressing the outrage of a country, he unsuccessfully sought to employ his shooing policeman persona. Move along folks, nothing to see here.

He could and should have called Sharples and Turia into his office and demanded that Harawira go. That there could be no place in, or even near, his government for this kind of hateful politician. And that the coalition was in peril if this did not occur. Indeed his vacillation was underscored by his previous and public refusal to ever work with NZ First party leader Winston Peters.

I'm struggling to remember what heinous act the former foreign affairs minister committed but I think it was something to do with not declaring private donations. Gosh, that's a dreadful crime isn't it? Compared to Harawira bunking to France, siphoning public monies for personal pleasure (though it looks like he'll pay it back); and then dismissing 70% of New Zealand as rapists and racists.

It is also worth noting that the National government doesn't need the Maori Party. Their votes are not required to pass legislation nor survive confidence. And, with a chastened Rodney Hide, they are even less of an imperative.

It may have been an initial gesture of inclusion but coalition was always going to be a fraught and fragile relationship. The Maori Party agenda is always going to be about especial favour for Maori. That is its raison d'etre. Sooner or later that must founder against the simple principles of democracy and accountability.

Similarly, the last vestige of credibility attached to our ridiculous race relations commissioner has deserted Joris de Bres this past week. He is desperate to do nothing despite his office receiving a record number of complaints. He is desperate not to be involved and has opined that this is best dealt with by the Maori Party.

Sadly, we pay this man. With public funds. In a week or so, I'm sure he will travel north and present Hone Harawira with a commendation that he dealt so well with a baying media. De Bres has already earned this government's ire with his deliberate undermining of its stance on Iran – but this is the first opportunity for most Kiwis to view such sickly white liberalism in person.

And yet Hone has resurrected at least two political bystanders. There can be no question Labour leader Phil Goff more accurately portrayed public sentiment than the prime minister – and then received an even greater fillip by being personally attacked by the hateful Harawira. Suddenly, the opposition leader was relevant again.

And Winston Peters reminded us all that he is still alive by climbing into the Maori Party at a Grey Power meeting in Wanganui. Again, he articulated a sentiment that should have been the prime minister's.

But one voice that has been missing this week – and perhaps would have been the strongest – is that of Helen Clark. This was one week when she was missed. One week when her steely outrage would have played so well. And one week when she would have taken the opportunity to hammer Hone hard.

Ah yes, it's been a bad week for the government when you start to nostalgise over Helen.

Report Spam   Logged
charlie
« Reply #211 on: November 15, 2009, 08:14:43 am »

I saw some poor woman walking along  Custom Street trying to cover her moko with a scarf. I could only wonder if she was just regreting the moko in general or if it was her shame of Hone Hawawera. I was so obvious to me what she was doing that in hind sight I wish I had said to her " If you think I should feel responsible for Micheal Fay, Roger Douglas or Rodney Hide I've got some bad news for you" I guess her feeling of embarresment is they cost of buying into a tribal society.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 08:58:04 am by Charlie » Report Spam   Logged
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #212 on: November 15, 2009, 08:55:34 am »

Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #213 on: November 15, 2009, 09:45:50 am »

Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
Magoo
« Reply #214 on: November 16, 2009, 05:37:27 am »

Report Spam   Logged
charlie
« Reply #215 on: November 16, 2009, 09:11:09 am »

I am very encourged by hearing a number of Maoris claim that it is only a small number of Maoris that support Hone Hawera racist attitudes. If this is really true it will be only weeks before the Maori only electoral roll is scrapped due to lack of interest and all the non racist Maori move to over to the non racist general electoral roll.
Report Spam   Logged
DidiMau69
Shit-Hot Member

On patrol Bien Hoa Province 1969

« Reply #216 on: November 16, 2009, 03:21:00 pm »

I think that this whole Harawhira thing is getting a bit tiresome.

Still I guess things will rev up again when he goes back to Parliament with 'all guns blazing'.

Report Spam   Logged

Walk softly and carry a big stick. - Theodore Roosevelt.
ballasted moth

« Reply #217 on: November 16, 2009, 07:29:47 pm »

They hope people get tired of him but everyone should remain vigilant He is an appalling role model
Report Spam   Logged

Greens are really RED
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #218 on: November 17, 2009, 05:18:59 am »

Harawira challenged to force by-election
By MARTIN KAY
The Dominion Post
Last updated 05:00 17/11/2009

Parliament will begin a two week session without maverick Maori Party MP Hone Harawira.

The Te Tai Tokerau MP's political future is under a cloud with his party hierarchy wanting him to become an independent. He is accused of breaking the party's core values and commitments with the email response he sent to a query about his side trip to Paris while on official Government business in Brussels.

Mr Harawira will be conducting a series of hui in his electorate talking with supporters and party members about his future. He will not attend the Maori Party caucus meeting today, where it is thought his colleagues may move to exclude him from the caucus.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/3068623/Harawira-challenged-to-force-by-election
Report Spam   Logged

ballasted moth

« Reply #219 on: November 17, 2009, 05:40:22 am »

Hone is no team player
Report Spam   Logged

Greens are really RED
charlie
« Reply #220 on: November 21, 2009, 07:48:43 pm »

Embattled MP Hone Harawira has received backing from four of the seven Maori electorates, as he fights to stay on with the Maori Party.

Following a meeting between the party's national council in Otaki, it is now unlikely Mr Harawira will leave the party.

Members of his electorate Te Tai Tokerau are planning to write to the party president, Whatarangi Winiata, asking that he stays.

This is despite some of the party wanting him to become an independent MP following his detour during a taxpayer trip to Paris and a racially-charged email.

Another hui will be held next weekend, when a final decision will be made. http://www.3news.co.nz/Harawira-wins-crucial-backing-from-electorates/tabid/209/articleID/130675/cat/772/Default.aspx

No surprises here. As soon as things quietend down the Maori Party has come out and backed Harawira sentiments. All thats left is to see if Maori will endorse the party that endorses Hawawira and if Key will stand by his comment that there is no place for Hawawira [I assume he meant on governments side of the house]
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #221 on: November 21, 2009, 08:08:31 pm »

Jonkey will flip-flop (something he is an expert at doing) and generally do whatever he deems necessary (including licking Maori Party arse) to keep them on his side in his desperation to keep a working majority in Parliament, knowing he cannot rely on ACT to support everything his government wishes to ram through in the legislative chamber.

See my The Nats choose IWI over KIWI — oh, the hypocrisy! thread to see how far the Nats are prepared to go in their desperation for power, even if they do have to practise hypocrisy to stay where they are (ie....IWI at the expense of KIWI)....Wink
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #222 on: November 21, 2009, 08:42:24 pm »

Hes hired Peter Williams QC as his legal counsel  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Magoo
« Reply #223 on: November 22, 2009, 03:19:26 am »

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/3085476/Bitter-MP-seeks-reconciliation
And then lo and behold the leadership make public statements about the possibility of Hone being an independent or expelled, without his knowledge.
excerpt

It will be interesting to see the outcome of the 763( latest figure) complaints made to the De Bres
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/news/article.cfm?c_id=280&objectid=10609223
The commissioner, Joris de Bres, initially rebuffed demands that he investigate the Harawira email, saying the MP was exercising his freedom of opinion. It is true that he would not have said that about a Pakeha MP using abusive language about Maori. He ought to explain the difference. The pride and place of a minority in any society ultimately depend on the laws supported by a majority. Not so in reverse. Instead of prolonging the Harawira pantomime, the commissioner should tell complainants what racism really is, and save his time and our money.
excerpt

Report Spam   Logged
DidiMau69
Shit-Hot Member

On patrol Bien Hoa Province 1969

« Reply #224 on: November 22, 2009, 05:27:36 am »

"But a source close to the embattled MP says Harawira is unhappy about the way he was treated by his caucus colleagues and is set to demand changes to the way they operate"

I don't think that this guy gets it. They now have to welcome him back and then he will make the rules?
Report Spam   Logged

Walk softly and carry a big stick. - Theodore Roosevelt.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: