Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 12:32:07 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Harawira skips EU meeting for Paris jaunt

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Harawira skips EU meeting for Paris jaunt  (Read 4480 times)
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« on: November 05, 2009, 05:35:51 am »

Harawira skips EU meeting for Paris jaunt
4:00AM Thursday Nov 05, 2009
By Claire Trevett

Maori Party MP Hone Harawira is being investigated after skipping a European parliamentary delegation meeting to make a 300km dash from Brussels to go sightseeing in Paris.

He was leading a three-MP group that travelled to Europe last month for meetings in Brussels and Geneva when he decided on the jaunt.

"How many times in my lifetime am I going to get to Europe? So I thought, 'F*** it, I'm off. I'm off to Paris'," he said yesterday.

Mr Harawira, whose wife, Hilda, accompanied him on the trip, paid for the extra travel himself and said many of the issues that were due to be discussed at the missed meeting had been broached at a dinner the night before.

He had asked European Parliament MP Mara Bizzotto - who chaired the delegation for relations with Australia and New Zealand - if he could skip the meeting "and she was cool with it".

"We had dinner with her the night before.

"I said to her, 'Look, I'll introduce you to some All Blacks when you come down to Aotearoa', and she really liked that bit."

National MP Katrina Shanks and Labour MP Rajen Prasad were in Europe with Mr Harawira, and Ms Shanks was left to chair the meeting, and later to report on it.

The meeting discussed relations between the EU and New Zealand, family and youth policies and multiculturalism.

It is not the first time the MP for Te Tai Tokerau has mixed pleasure with business while overseas.

In 2007, he was ordered to pay back $1100 - half the price of his business-class flights - after leaving half way through a four-day select committee trip to Melbourne, to visit Aboriginal groups in Alice Springs.

A Parliamentary Service spokesman yesterday said the Office of the Clerk was looking into Mr Harawira's Paris trip and it was possible he could be asked to repay a portion of his travel costs if he had missed official business.

But Mr Harawira was yesterday unrepentant. "I accept it was outside the boundaries, but I don't feel uncomfortable with it."

He said he told Ms Shanks before going to Paris, but had not spoken to Dr Prasad until his return.

"He [Dr Prasad] had a laugh and said, 'Well, what goes on tour stays on tour'."

Mr Harawira effectively dobbed himself in by writing about the Paris trip in his column in the Kaitaia-based Northland Age newspaper.

In it, he describes the Louvre as "the museum made famous by Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code" and tells why he and his wife went to only the second level of the Eiffel Tower: "Too many people, not enough time, but high enough to see the grandeur of a beautiful city."

Yesterday, he said he was not the kind to keep such things hidden and readers of his column told him they loved the piece.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10607323

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'It's the right thing' - Harawira defends Outback walkabout

5:00AM Friday Aug 10, 2007

By Angela Gregory

Hone Harawira is defending his decision to leave a Parliamentary visit to Melbourne and "go walkabout" in the Australian Outback.

The Maori Party MP is under fire for leaving the justice and electoral select committee two days into its week-long trip to Victoria to study election finance law and victims' rights.

On Wednesday, he flew to northern Australia, where he described the Federal Government's intervention in Aboriginal communities as racist.

Mr Harawira told the Herald from Alice Springs yesterday he had gone to the Northern Territory to discuss indigenous issues with Aboriginal groups.

He met tribal authorities and was last night accompanying patrols to Aboriginal camps.

"I want to see the other side of the rabbit-proof fence," he said.

He has criticised the Australian Government's emergency legislation to intervene in Northern Territory Aboriginal communities to try to stop sexual abuse of children.

"I wanted to discuss the racist piece of legislation that no one out here has been consulted on," he said.

Mr Harawira told the ABC on Wednesday he wanted to highlight what he described as a racist military invasion by the Australian Government. He also accused the Labor opposition of political cowardice.

His comments came a month after he labelled Australian Prime Minister John Howard a "racist bastard" because of the radical policies.

He said on Australian radio yesterday that Mr Howard had introduced into the Northern Territory a level of racism previously unseen in the South Pacific.

Mr Harawira said he had been invited to the Northern Territory "at the last minute" by an Aboriginal council.

He had paid for the flights to Alice Springs, which were bought before he left New Zealand, but said he did not make up his mind to go until Wednesday.

Mr Harawira told the select committee members on Tuesday night.

"They said 'well, have a good think about it Hone'."

Mr Harawira said he based his decision on what he believed to be right and "not the politics of anyone in Wellington".

He thought it particularly appropriate because yesterday was the International Day of the World's Indigenous People.

Mr Harawira said he was not worried about how his trip was seen in New Zealand, and he had no regrets.

He said in television interviews last night he did not care if the Speaker Margaret Wilson "docks my pay".

Ms Wilson told Parliament yesterday the Clerk of the House's office would look into Mr Harawira's trip and once its report was completed "suitable action" would be taken.

New Zealand First MP Ron Marks had asked how Mr Harawira was able to "go AWOL" while on select committee business.

He said Mr Harawira had unleashed a "tirade of abuse" on Australian authorities while there were child abuse issues in New Zealand that needed to be addressed.

There were financial implications as his trip to Melbourne was paid for by Parliament, and it raised questions of how select committee members should operate, Mr Marks said.

The select committee chairwoman, Labour MP Lynne Pillay, said from Melbourne she asked Mr Harawira to stay with the group but he had felt strongly that he wanted to go.

Ms Pillay was disappointed to learn the return airfare to Alice Springs was bought before Mr Harawira left New Zealand.

But she said Mr Harawira had been "really constructive" and a good member of the committee in Melbourne.

The select committee was already down in numbers because three National MPs boycotted the trip, saying it was a junket.

Ms Pillay had had to explain to the Australians why those MPs were not present, which was "a little unfortunate".

She then had to tell them that Mr Harawira had "gone up north", which was "not a biggie".

Prime Minister Helen Clark declined to comment on Mr Harawira's actions despite his first outburst against Mr Howard prompting her to last month warn New Zealand politicians against commenting on Australia's domestic affairs.

Labour MPs Dover Samuels and Shane Jones yesterday criticised Mr Harawira for making a scene in Australia when Maori had social problems in New Zealand.

Mr Samuels accused Mr Harawira of hypocrisy.

"He wants to come home instead of going over there badmouthing what Australia is doing," he said. "He should be worrying about his own back yard and how Maori are treating their mokopuna."

Maori Party co-leaders Tariana Turia and Pita Sharples declined to comment.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10456916&pnum=0

Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Magoo
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 05:58:06 am »

"How many times in my lifetime am I going to get to Europe? So I thought, 'F*** it, I'm off. I'm off to Paris'," he said yesterday.

He probably wouldn't have understood what they were talking about at the meeting anyway.
Report Spam   Logged
guest49
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 06:17:37 am »

I am ashamed and embarrassed that we have such thieves [ostensibly] representing us.
English,
Hide,
Harawera,
the list goes on.  I realise that its not uncommon for politicians anywhere, to thieve from their employers.  I still feel embarrassed.
Report Spam   Logged
ballasted moth
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 06:26:08 am »

Its official ALL parties are ripping us off
Lets put an end to these junkets
At least Harawera proved the pointlessness of the trips
Report Spam   Logged

Greens are really RED
AnFaolchudubh

Faugh a ballagh!

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 07:06:59 am »

He said he told Ms Shanks before going to Paris, but had not spoken to Dr Prasad until his return.

"He [Dr Prasad] had a laugh and said, 'Well, what goes on tour stays on tour'."

But it didn't Hone, we all know about it now.

Bet his constituants will not see it as shurking from his job!
Report Spam   Logged

Stupid people are not an endangered species so why are we protecting them
R. S. OhAllmurain
AnFaolchudubh

Faugh a ballagh!

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 07:13:48 am »

I wonder if I could ever have an HDO (Harawira Day Off) Roll Eyes Wink Grin Naw I'm to honest when it comes to work, have to be damn near at deaths door!

Holidays, are you not saving money from your pay Hone?
Report Spam   Logged

Stupid people are not an endangered species so why are we protecting them
R. S. OhAllmurain
DidiMau69
Shit-Hot Member

On patrol Bien Hoa Province 1969

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 12:19:15 pm »

Wonder whatever happened to the last Maori politician that used his position to do real stupid stuff - Tuku Te Underpants Morgan. Remember him bouncing in his seat like a Chimp at a tea party shouting "That's Sub Judice, That's Sub Judice". He didn't know what it meant but he thought that the new word he had learnt made him sound intelligent.

Then there was poor old Alamein Kopu. She was so simple that she may not have realised that she had been 'elected' into Parliament.
Report Spam   Logged

Walk softly and carry a big stick. - Theodore Roosevelt.
Maurice

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 12:24:43 pm »

Didn't Tuku Morgan think "Sub Judice" was a Latin word for U-boat?
Report Spam   Logged

"Some people see things as they are and ask why.
I dream things that never were and ask why not - Robert Kennedy
Sir Blodsnogger
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 04:00:09 pm »

Must be off to see a footy game with his mistress number 14
Report Spam   Logged
Brownie55
Global Moderator

OK, so what’s the speed of dark?

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 04:05:08 pm »

I would like them all to justify the relevance of these overseas trips   ...what was the original relevance to NZ of his trip to Brussels and what could he have gained from it that would have aided NZ.  HuhHuhHuhHuh??
Report Spam   Logged

I almost had a psychic boyfriend, but he left me before we met.
ballasted moth

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 05:09:09 pm »

Harawera gives his travel stories on TV3 What a joke though did admit 50000 Maoris cant agree when 300 000 000 Europeans can move on from the past

How can someone this stupid be an MP
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 05:49:33 pm by ballasted moth » Report Spam   Logged

Greens are really RED
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 08:15:16 pm »

I would like them all to justify the relevance of these overseas trips   ...what was the original relevance to NZ of his trip to Brussels and what could he have gained from it that would have aided NZ.  HuhHuhHuhHuh??

Probably the same relevance as Jonkey swanning off around the world on one of his many junkets since becoming PM

Or in fact any politician. They don't need to do overseas trips in the age of the internet and instant communications.
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 08:16:22 pm »

How can someone this stupid be an MP

I'd vote for him.....just to piss off BallastedMoth....Grin
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
ballasted moth

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009, 06:09:14 am »

KTJ is right there is little need for any to go Whatever happened to global footprints Oh that only applies to the peasants

THEN  we have local body politicians who seem to think they are part of the amazing race picking ever exotic locals to discuss drainage in Masterton
Report Spam   Logged

Greens are really RED
Sir Blodsnogger
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009, 08:18:38 am »

Correction by the editor:
Please note it is a lie to say that ktj is right about anything - even if giving him a backhanded slap across the face compliment
Report Spam   Logged
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2009, 08:45:14 am »

and maori wonder why they arent liked by many ....

"white motherf...ers" we are now ....

gee graet Hone me thinks honky your days as an MP could well and truly be numbered ...

how can your Leadfrers have any faith in you know ...

Harawira's angry email over Paris trip

Maori MP Hone Harawira has lashed out at white people in a response to an email criticising him for bunking off a work trip to visit Paris.

In an email exchange released to Radio New Zealand, Mr Harawira accusing "white motherf...ers" of "puritanical bullsh**" for expecting him to follow the rules.

The MP was already in trouble. This morning his party co-leader Tariana Turia expressed concerns his unscheduled side trip to Paris during a taxpayer funded work trip last month would damage the party's reputation.

Mr Harawira skipped a meeting in Brussels so he and his wife Hilda could spend a day in Paris. He paid for the extra travel himself.

Buddy Mikaere of Buddy Mikaere and Associates wrote an email to Mr Harawira complaining about his actions.

"... you're no better than that w***er Rodney Hide and the white mofos you complain about," Mr Mikaere wrote, referring to Mr Hide's actions in taking his partner on an overseas ministerial trip despite the Prime Minister John Key's direction against the practice.

"And get off you moral high horse while you're at it - nobody forced you to be an MP."

Mr Harawira wrote back starting his email; "Gee Buddy, do you believe that white man bullsh** too do you?

"White motherf***ers have been raping our lands and ripping us off for centuries and all of a sudden you want me to play along with their puritanical bullsh**."

Mr Harawira then went on to say how much time and energy he put into fighting for Maori and what a big role his wife Hilda played in that.

"And quite frankly I don't give a sh** what you or anyone else thinks about it. OK?"

Then he added a postscript saying he should feel free to go to the media.

"I answer to my people, not to them or to anybody else."

Mr Harawira was already in considerable hot water with Speaker Lockwood Smith saying he may have to pay back some of the trip's overall cost and Mrs Turia revealing she had been led to believe the reason he skipped the meeting was illness.

"I'm very concerned, my understanding was he was ill over in Brussels but it would appear... that he went off to Paris for a trip, that it was quite a deliberate thing," she told Radio New Zealand.

"The worry for me is that Hone was the leader of that delegation and I guess that what we are going to be questioned about in future, in terms of any trips overseas, is that 'can we give a guarantee that this won't happen again, it happened in Australia?' And with hand over heart I don't think we can give that guarantee."

In 2007 Mr Harawira was told to pay back some flights after he left mid-way through a four-day select committee trip to Melbourne, so he could visit Aboriginal groups in Alice Springs.

Labour deputy leader Annette King yesterday said Mr Harawira's actions showed why the public wondered about MPs' perks.

"I think that really does make people wonder about parliamentary travel and taxpayers' money."

Mrs Turia was concerned about that and how Mr Harawira's actions would reflect on the party.

"All of us have to be really conscious as to the perception that's created as to how we use public funds, the public doesn't actually fund us to go on holidays and to have a look around and that's the reality."

Mr Harawira has been unrepentant about his actions, saying he missed nothing by skipping the meeting as he had already met those attending the meeting and discussed issues with them.

He did not think he should have to pay back any money and was glad he had undertaken the side trip, saying it would have been "dumb" not to visit such a wonderful city.

The other two MPs in the delegation, National MP Katrina Shanks and Labour MP Rajen Prasad, attended the meeting, which discussed relations between the EU and New Zealand, family and youth policies and multiculturalism.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10607653
Report Spam   Logged
guest49
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2009, 08:53:32 am »

My word.  We need more representatives like this piece of shit?

At least the other politicians thieving off the NZ public show a little bit more class about it.
Report Spam   Logged
chrismrky

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2009, 10:30:36 am »

I cannot believe there has been such a 'low key' response to his comments...

Just imagine if a European politician said anything remotely as offense about our 'natives',  the outcry would be HUGE.  But so far, there has barely been a whimper.    WTF........shows how P.C. we have become.   

are Europeans really going to just lay down and take this shit!!!!  god I hope not

Report Spam   Logged

today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday....is it really been that bad today?

If we can put two men on the moon.....why cant we put the whole lot there? eh?
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2009, 10:51:25 am »

Just imagine if a European politician said anything remotely as offense about our 'natives',  the outcry would be HUGE.  But so far, there has barely been a whimper.    WTF........shows how P.C. we have become.  

are Europeans really going to just lay down and take this shit!!!!  god I hope not

Yep,  they call it cultural cringe, but the bornagain maori will feed on him.
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
Magoo
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2009, 11:54:11 am »

Probably because the antics of this clown are getting a bit old.  We are getting used to him making a class 'A' idiot out of himself.   It just goes to show you don't need any class or many brains to find yourself a job like he has.
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2009, 11:56:23 am »

Probably gone by lunchtime tomorrow.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Magoo
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2009, 12:10:16 pm »

Probably gone by lunchtime tomorrow.
Not soon enough.
Report Spam   Logged
charlie
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2009, 01:48:18 pm »

In an email exchange released to Radio New Zealand, Mr Harawira accusing "white motherf...ers" of "puritanical bullsh**" for expecting him to follow the rules.

I guess growing up in his household the term white motherf..ers wasn't considered a derogatory term. Just what everyone called his mums crowd of friends.

I think its great that Hone is acknowledging Maori's European ancestory.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 02:04:11 pm by Charlie » Report Spam   Logged
Sir Blodsnogger
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2009, 01:57:44 pm »

by lunch toime tomorrw???
Tomorrow is Saturday.
That lazy waste of money, parliament-darky does not  do Saturdays does he?
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2009, 02:06:35 pm »

Well I doubt it but I hear Tariana is a tad pissed at him.  Ive seen her go off LOL shes gonna be hopping mad at him for this.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: