Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 04:28:29 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Parliament repealing Electoral Finance Act

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Parliament repealing Electoral Finance Act  (Read 303 times)
Newtown-Fella
« on: February 12, 2009, 06:28:49 pm »

The Electoral Finance Act is being repealed by Parliament . . . yet a high-profile victim - Rodney Hide's jacket - remains missing

12 February 2009
One of the most contentious pieces of electoral law passed by the Labour government is being repealed this afternoon, with Labour's blessing.

The dreaded Electoral Finance Act was seen by its many opponents as anti-democratic. The provisions making donations to political parties transparent will be kept but will be administered under the old Electoral Act.

Labour leader Phil Goff admits Labour got it wrong. He says the Labour Government, like any other group of people, made mistakes and could have done things better - and this is one of those.

The Greens are the only party to oppose the act's repeal, with its co-leader Russel Norman accusing Labour of cowardice.

One man who fell foul of the law for wearing a canary yellow jacket is ACT leader Rodney Hide, who has not seen his jacket since.

Mr Hide suspects the police have it because he is still under investigation for wearing it. He says they are probably doing forensics on it, but when he gets it back he is looking forward to standing out in the crowd again.

http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/article.aspx?id=96383&fm=newsmain,narts
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 06:40:45 pm »

This might be seen as National covering its own bases, mark this space!
Will we see corruption charges against the Gnats in a few years??
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Brownie55
Global Moderator
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

OK, so what’s the speed of dark?

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 06:54:57 pm »

It will be repealed with ALL parties supporting its removal.
Report Spam   Logged

I almost had a psychic boyfriend, but he left me before we met.
ballasted moth

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 08:30:25 pm »

Goff isnt the coward at least he admits mistakes
Control freak greens never change their Fascist ways

greens are now the NZ Fascist Party
Report Spam   Logged

Greens are really RED
Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 08:41:52 pm »

How many MPs have been elected to parliament standing on the Libertarianz ticket?  Grin

I guess the Libertarianz success rate in having MPs in parliament is an indication of public sentiment about them (ie....if they have never had any MPs elected, then it stands to reason the NZ voting public KNOW they are lossers and clowns).
Report Spam   Logged
ballasted moth

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 08:47:31 pm »

Hitler got elected

Fascism sells well to the gullible
Report Spam   Logged

Greens are really RED
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 07:10:54 am »

The electoral Finance act is a piece of bad legislation and one of the causes behind Labour losing the election.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
c.p
Getting The Hang Of It

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 07:37:25 am »

wondering how Winston feels about this move
Report Spam   Logged
Brownie55
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 08:35:27 am »

The act, to which the former prime minister was wedded, brought only grief to Labour in the runup to last November's election. Now, it turns out, new Labour leader Phil Goff, who believes it was a mistake, his No2, Annette King, whose job it was to defend it in Parliament, and their colleagues will vote for its repeal.

Ministerial loyalty to a party leader is one thing; cravenness is another thing entirely.

The National-led Government, probably tempted to leave the act in place so that it, too, could frolic on a tilted playing field in 2011, has decided to forgo that pleasure and will do the principled thing consult widely, with groups including other political parties, before new electoral law is enacted.

Excerpt from here
 http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominionpost/4845851a6483.html
Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 08:46:31 am »

Aside from how I feel about it - it is good to see a govt say this is wrong - we did wrong - and repeal something.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Magpie
Part-Of-The-Furniture Member

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 11:38:45 am »

Hitler got elected

Fascism sells well to the gullible

No, Moth, Hitler did not get elected. Read your history books for a change.

The highest proportion of the popular vote the Nazis ever received was 37%. In the last election before Hitler was appointed Chancellor the Nazis lost ground, shedding two million votes.

Hitler gained power through intrigue and blackmail, supported by rightwing reactionaries terrified of Communism.

People like Ballasted Moth.......
Report Spam   Logged

I have nothing to declare but my genius - Oscar Wilde at US Customs
Brownie55
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 05:29:01 am »

the Greens called for a party vote on every vote at every stage, and at every vote there was a full ticket of Labour MP’s supporting the repeal. Yes - Helen Clark, Michael Cullen and Annette King will be forever recorded in Hansard as having voted to arsehole their “flagship” legislation.

Excerpt from herehttp://www.kiwiblog.co.nz/2009/02/efa_about_to_be_dust.html
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: