Xtra News Community 2
April 19, 2024, 11:48:40 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

All Blacks told to cover up tattoos

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: All Blacks told to cover up tattoos  (Read 497 times)
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« on: October 30, 2009, 03:00:08 pm »

All Blacks told to cover up tattoos
4:41PM Wednesday Oct 28, 2009

Their array of body ink is verging on legendary, but the All Blacks rugby players have discovered their extensive tattoos aren't so well received in Japan this week.

The All Blacks' pool sessions in Tokyo have revealed the quirky sight of most players in the 33-man squad wearing their techfit training vests to cover their arms and torsos, complete with swimming caps.

It's a mark of respect to Japanese culture which frowns upon the displaying of tattoos, which traditionally associates a person with the yakuza, or Japanese mafia, who are heavily tattooed.

The All Blacks were quietly tipped off about the cultural requirements before they took to the water for the first time here on Monday.

"Most people know that when you go to the pool in Japan you have to cover up. The players were reminded when we arrived," a team spokesman said.

Some onsen, or Japanese public baths, still refuse people entry if they have visible tattoos, while others require visitors to cover their inkwork with bandages.

The latter have been an onerous task for the likes of Wellington schoolboy mates Ma'a Nonu and Neemia Tialata who each have a large image of the crucifixion inked on their backs, and other tattoos on their arms.

Nonu explained earlier this year they were a sign of respect for his family and where he grew up, and "a reminder to stay humble".

Jerome Kaino has a tattoo which was inked over several three-hour sessions, starting on his shoulder then snaking down his rib cage. It was a special design from his family's village in American Samoa.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10605943

Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 06:24:17 pm »

Pussies.......
Report Spam   Logged

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 06:44:24 pm »

When in Rome .....
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 06:46:09 pm »

I guess....

They need to grow up thou.

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 06:48:15 pm »

LOL who?  The Japs?

hehehe their culture is older than many aint it?
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 06:51:51 pm »

Just because they are old doesn't necessarily mean they have matured.

Hey - and you can quote that any time you like!

Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 07:08:08 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 07:10:47 pm »

lol...

Grin
Report Spam   Logged

k1w14ever
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 07:24:03 pm »

I love my tatt's and although do agree when in Rome, but not many overseas peoples do the same when in our Country.  Don't get me wrong here it is a respect thing totally.  But why is 'when in rome' always in another country and not the ones we live in.
Report Spam   Logged

The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder.
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 07:28:00 pm »

lol Kiwi - its all a matter of perception  Grin

IMO Its about respecting others cultures.  But we cannot expect everyone to be as we are .. and I dont mean we the individual.
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 07:35:31 pm »

I love my tatt's and although do agree when in Rome, but not many overseas peoples do the same when in our Country.

Did the first white settlers to Australia live by the “When in Rome...” creed when they first moved there?

Or did they totally ignore the “When in Rome...” creed and shit all over the Aborigine culture that was already there?

You could say exactly the same thing about New Zealand. The white settlers totally ignored the “When in Rome...” creed and shit all over the existing native cultures when they moved to these lands, so they therefore set the precedent for future immigrants to NZ to ignore the “When in Rome....” creed and retain their own existing culture instead of adopting the predominent NZ culture.

That still doesn't stop the rednecks on Michael Laws' radio talkback show frothing at the mouth and demanding that immigrants to NZ adopt the “When in Rome....” creed, even though the rednecks' ancestors totally ignored it!
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
Sir Blodsnogger
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 07:36:10 pm »

All Blacks tats dont work in Japan . They only work in the land of the taniwhas
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: