Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 12:42:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Cult or church?

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cult or church?  (Read 10849 times)
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #275 on: February 19, 2013, 08:32:04 am »

Destiny Church sells complex to Salvation Army

Mount Wellington purchase allows Brian Tamaki to develop his City of God site in Wiri.

By WAYNE THOMPSON - The New Zealand Herald | 5:30AM - Monday, February 18, 2013

The Mount Wellington complex at Allright Place. — Photo: APN.
The Mount Wellington complex at Allright Place. — Photo: APN.

THE Salvation Army has bought the Destiny Church complex in the Auckland suburb of Mount Wellington and has its 12-storey building in Queen Street up for sale.

The sale allows Destiny, founded by Bishop Brian Tamaki, to develop its new City of God site at Druces Road in Wiri, south Auckland.

The former Quik Stik International factory has been converted for a school, auditorium, gym, administration and Destiny's social service operations.

Salvation Army Northern Division commander Major Stephen Jarvis said it would take possession of Destiny's building on March 31.

But it would not move from Queen Street until renovations were finished at the end of this year.

Church services in English and Korean would continue in the ground floor for this year under a lease arrangement with new owners.

The main reason for the army's move to the commercial area of Mount Wellington was that it gave more scope to serve the public.

It had more functional spaces and offered more opportunities to work in the community in ways that were not practical at Queen Street, which it built in 1985 overlooking Myers Park.

"From this site we will provide food assistance, budget counselling, social work services and others social services," said Major Jarvis.

"We are currently referring people to our Royal Oak centre for the bulk of these services."

Major Jarvis said the Mount Wellington commercial area was more accessible for its clients than the CBD, because it was on a main transport corridor and had onsite and street parking.

Many of the army's clients had cited transport and parking as obstacles to them going to the 369 Queen Street building.

Major Jarvis said it was for Destiny to say how much Mount Wellington sold for.

It had an Auckland Council rating value of $4.9 million.

Real estate agent Bayleys said the 4400sq m building had an air-conditioned acoustic auditorium, modern first floor office suite and administration area, cafe and resource consents for school buildings.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10865949
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
donquixotenz
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

STILL TILTING

« Reply #276 on: February 19, 2013, 08:37:43 am »

money scam on gullible people......nothing else.....definately cult and should be outlawed....to protect the innocent lambs.
Report Spam   Logged

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body.

But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...

WOW, What a Ride!"

Please note: IMHO and e&oe apply to all my posts.
Magoo
« Reply #277 on: February 19, 2013, 09:46:07 am »

It is about time churches paid tax.
Report Spam   Logged
Caprox

« Reply #278 on: February 24, 2013, 02:06:16 am »

Definitely a cult.

And like all cults, I am certain there will be a big sex scandal one day, you mark my words. This is my prophecy.
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #279 on: February 24, 2013, 07:38:26 am »

I understand Jedi Knights have enough followers to become a recognised church ....

some enterprising fella should move into that I reckon Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
dragontamer
« Reply #280 on: February 24, 2013, 09:45:12 am »

Definitely a cult.

And like all cults, I am certain there will be a big sex scandal one day, you mark my words. This is my prophecy.

Bit like waiting for the next time an appliance breaks down isn't it?  You know it's going to happen, just when and which one are the questions.
Report Spam   Logged
Magoo
« Reply #281 on: February 24, 2013, 11:00:36 am »

Definitely a cult.

Bit like waiting for the next time an appliance breaks down isn't it?  You know it's going to happen, just when and which one are the questions.
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #282 on: February 24, 2013, 11:57:31 am »

Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #283 on: July 29, 2013, 09:30:29 pm »

Sydney's “Destiny Church” for the gullible....

Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #284 on: December 07, 2014, 01:23:04 pm »

from The New Zealand Herald....

Destiny Church's shower of cash

5:00AM - Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Bishop Brian Tamaki called the money “A Sweet-Smelling Fragrance”.
Bishop Brian Tamaki called the money “A Sweet-Smelling Fragrance”.

IT LOOKED as if it was raining money at Auckland's Destiny Church on Sunday.

Photos tweeted by church leader Bishop Brian Tamaki showed many high-denomination bills on the floor.

The photos, one which Bishop Tamaki captioned: “A Sweet-Smelling Fragrance that is Acceptable to God (Phil 4:15-19). My God shall Supply all your need,” drew widespread criticism on social media.

Another photo was accompanied by the text: “The main stage at Destiny Church Auckland ... this morning ... littered with 10,000s of $100 & $50 bills ... ‘Attitude’.”

The church, which is led by Mr Tamaki and his pastor wife Hannah, has hit headlines in the past for financial expectations placed on its members.

According to ex-congregation members, families were pressured to give “love offerings” and other cash donations above the expected tithe.

However, the church has denied this and said none of its members were forced to tithe.

Mr and Mrs Tamaki have also defended their reputations in the past, following publicity around their lifestyle.

Last year, Mrs Tamaki — who owned several homes, drove a black Audi station wagon and had a $90,000 diamond ring, rejected claims she led an extravagant lifestyle.

“What is wealth? I don't have a lot of money in the bank but to me success is inspiring other people,” she said.

Last month, it also emerged the church's tax-exempt status was under the microscope after it was issued with overdue notices for the late filing of annual returns for 14 Destiny-affiliated charities.

Six of these charities, which received a combined $5.5 million in donations in the most recent returns, are more than a year overdue in filing statements with the public charities register.

When contacted by the Herald about the photos Mr Tamaki tweeted, a spokeswoman for the church said the organisation had “no comment”.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11367227

from the HERALD on SUNDAY....

Destiny's $6 million windfall

New figures reveal the deep pockets of Bishop Brian’s followers.

By BEVAN HURLEY | 5:00AM - Sunday, December 07, 2014

The Tamakis have refused to release a more detailed breakdown of where the charities' money is spent.
The Tamakis have refused to release a more detailed breakdown of where the charities' money is spent.

DESTINY CHURCH-affiliated charities received nearly $6million in donations in the last year after self-appointed Bishop Brian Tamaki demanded churchgoers give generously for the so-called “City of God”.

Destiny's finances are back in the spotlight after Tamaki last weekend implored his parishioners to shower the stage with high-denomination bills during a church service, boosting church coffers by $100,000.

He later tweeted: “A Sweet-Smelling Fragrance that is Acceptable to God (Phil 4:15-19). My God shall supply all your need”.

A Herald on Sunday analysis of Destiny's latest charity statements show its 14 charities received $5.75m in donations in the 2013-14 year, up from $4,610,023 the previous year.

The figures are in financial reports to the Department of Internal Affairs Charities Service. The charities include individual churches, the Destiny School, social services and housing organisations, and receive hundreds of thousand of dollars annually in Government grants.

The rise in donations follows several years of declines in charitable donations to the church. When unveiling plans for Destiny's “City of God” in Manukau in 2012, Tamaki said: “I don't care what the media say. I don't care what your relatives say. I don't care what the world says. Nobody should be not tithing.”

Charity deed papers show Tamaki has been removed as a trustee from all of the church's charities, but retains “absolute power of veto of any decision made by the Trust Board” over the Destiny Church Auckland Trust, which received more than $2m in donations last year — the highest for any of the charities. Hannah Tamaki is a trustee of 11 of the charities. The Destiny charity statements were uploaded to the Charities Service register in October, after the Herald on Sunday revealed the 14 charities were overdue in filing their returns, in some cases by more than a year.

Emails released under the Official Information Act show Internal Affairs issued a “please explain” to Destiny after Herald on Sunday inquiries about the late-filing charities.

The Tamakis have refused to release a more detailed breakdown of where the charities' money is spent, or how much they are paid in salaries. They have been criticised for their lavish lifestyles, enjoying overseas trips travelling business class, buying expensive cars and jewellery, but say how much they are paid by the church is their business.

Destiny Church spokeswoman Anne Williamson said: “The church has experienced a steady growth in membership since our move to 25 Druces Road, and that is reflected in our donations.” The church's financials were available to the “giving community of Destiny Church”, but they would not be posting details of staff wages to “others”.

Destiny also receives more than $1m a year in taxpayer funding for its school and social services.

Its trust Te Roto Taone Nui Trust, which provides housing, received $507,158, in Government funding, up from $392,460 the previous year. And the school received a Ministry of Education grant of $269,179, up from $266,400.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11370108

Your Destiny is to pay and pay

By PAUL LITTLE | 5:00AM - Sunday, December 07, 2014

Money is acceptable to God — and Brian Tamaki.
Money is acceptable to God — and Brian Tamaki.

FOR Hannah Tamaki it must have been the week from — you'll pardon the expression — hell. First, her husband, Bishop Brian, receives a set of orders direct from God in his avatar as the Holy Spirit, telling him to instruct his parishioners to take bills in large denominations and place them on the stage during a Destiny Church service. Because this is the sort of thing God thinks about all the time.

Hannah may have tried to discourage the bishop but from what I hear, Destiny Church hews closely to Ephesians 5:23 — “For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church.”

Anyway, as if that wasn't enough for her to deal with, doesn't the big lummox go and post photos of the event on Twitter, which quickly alerts the world to the fact that Brian Tamaki does one mean Scrooge McDuck impression, even if he does stop just short of actually diving into the money.

A social media-driven firestorm erupts and what does the Bishop do? He goes pig hunting with the builders. And guess who's left to front the media?

That's right. Hannah has to try to explain to the likes of TV3's John Campbell what on Earth her husband was thinking.

Chance would have been a fine thing, because all Campbell wanted to talk about was how much money Hannah and Bishop Brian had.

As far as organised religions go, the one with which Destiny has most in common is Lotto: a large number of people pay out regularly in the hope of receiving a windfall that is actually never going to happen.

That, of course, is their choice. But not everyone who donates to Destiny gets that choice. You and I, for instance, who as taxpayers contribute to the church via taxpayer-funded grants such as the $860,000 it received from the Ministry of Social Development for youth programmes.

Bishop Brian specifically told his congregation that by laying down their money at his feet, they would qualify for “unprecedented favour” from the Lord.

Bishop Brian is effectively selling God's services as though the Lord is a deity for hire.

This sort of thing, when done by the Catholic church centuries ago, so incensed Martin Luther that it led to the Reformation, one of the greatest upheavals in European history.

Here, it has led to Campbell having a tawdry conversation with Hannah Tamaki about money.

She and her husband, she confessed, are humble wage slaves, receiving a salary signed off by the church's board.

She wouldn't say how much they are paid, but she did acknowledge that they travel business class, which means it's an obscene amount.

She also discussed her jewellery, which, she confirmed, includes a $90,00 ring.

How did she pay for that? Well, she saved up. Have you ever tried to save $90,000? It's nearly impossible.

She wasn't wearing the ring because she was having it insured and getting quotes. I can only imagine what it must be like to have jewellery so valuable that you have to shop around for insurance.

Doesn't hearing about other people's problems make you grateful for your own lot in life?

What critics get most agitated about is that the source of these wages is ultimately the poor people who come to Destiny in the hope of finding wealth rather than providing it.

But giving Destiny your money won't make you richer, it will only make you poorer.

How much poorer?

That's up to you, really. How much are you prepared to give?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11370070

Destiny shows its true object of worship

EDITORIAL | 5:00AM - Sunday, December 07, 2014

What was the point of placing the money on the stage?
What was the point of placing the money on the stage?

SELF-APPOINTED bishop Brian Tamaki was immensely proud of the money raised by his self-created Destiny Church this week. He asked parishioners to put their tithings on stage, and posted pictures of the sea of $100 and $50 notes on Twitter. He called it, “a sweet-smelling fragrance acceptable to God”.

Later, he was proud of the media attention it attracted. “Top 10 news every time,” he tweeted. “Media criticise but boy, they love the ratings they get.”

There is something endlessly fascinating about Tamaki. To see him doing an imitation of a slick American-style evangelist in a Kiwi accent is to wonder every time how gullible people can be.

It is their own money, of course. They will be aware of the lifestyle they are providing their pastor and his wife. Whatever he is putting into their lives, they must think it worth the money.

That haul on stage, Tamaki told his congregation, was an idea the Holy Spirit had put in his head the night before.

What was the point? Were they celebrating money itself, or the sacrifice of a congregation who probably have not much to spare, or the charitable purposes for which it might be spent?

If the latter, they were not saying what those were.

The point was publicity, which is good news. It suggests business has been slowing for them and needed a boost.

It is nearly 10 years since Tamaki's delusions of a large following led him to think he could be elected to Parliament. Destiny received just 0.62 percent of the vote in 2005, less than half the number who voted this year for Kim Dotcom's Internet-Mana Party.

There is seldom a second coming in politics and Tamaki has not tried again. He has contented himself with maintaining his church, based in South Auckland where, sadly, his is not the only Christian sect that collects a great deal of money from people who can ill afford it.

The churches demand much more of these people than the fees asked by the schools that teach their children. Yet fees go unpaid while churches rake in the money.

None have done so as tastelessly as Tamaki did this week.

A man who displays donations as some sort of evidence of divine favour and self-worth is not a Christian many other churches would recognise.

Some of the harshest passages in the New Testament are directed at the worship of money.

These are probably not passages the Destiny congregation hears.

But in the end, it is their money. They can throw it away if they like.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11370063
Report Spam   Logged

reality
« Reply #285 on: December 07, 2014, 01:40:17 pm »

NZ has plenty of LIARS and ..it seems...plenty of suckers Wink
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #286 on: December 07, 2014, 03:42:00 pm »

re http://xtranewscommunity2.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,4961.0/msg,160734.html

Watched that on "The Best Of Campbell Live" this morning, perhaps God really meant that he, Brian should spread  -his Brian's own- money around ?

PS
I was looking for the envelopes being opened;  I think that most of them were digging it out of their pockets.

Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
reality
« Reply #287 on: December 07, 2014, 03:57:09 pm »

It actually makes me sick that there are:

1) Such greedy arseholes willing to openly con money out of poor, naive but honest people
2)Such gullible and stupid people allowing themselves to be so blatantly ripped off

they should as least demand to see a completely open set of books..anually ...forensically investigated showing exactly how much Tamaki creams off the top Wink
Report Spam   Logged
reality
« Reply #288 on: December 10, 2014, 10:53:49 pm »

ahhh...yeeeaaahhh...well done Brucie...and Mr Hubbard for telling us ...again...what the news item has already told us...yaaaawwwn..

...and would not be surprised if Mr Tamaki is also a LIAR Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #289 on: December 14, 2014, 12:59:02 pm »

from the HERALD ON SUNDAY....

Destiny's empire worth $20m

Cash, property and investments mean church’s coffers are in a healthy state.

By BEVAN HURLEY | 5:00AM - Sunday, December 14, 2014

DESTINY CHURCH has amassed a $20 million empire in cash, property investments and other assets as a result of its tax exempt status, accounts show.

Financial records filed with the Charities Service show Destiny's 15 affiliated charities hold $6.26m in property and land assets, covering churches in New Plymouth, Rotorua and Hamilton.

The church also holds more than $1m in cash and bank balances. The $9.2m worth of investments are held in “charitable entities with similar charitable objectives”, according to Destiny's financial controller, Jenny Marshall.

The remainder is held in fixed assets and inventory.

It's a long way from the humble beginnings of the small commercial warehouse in Pakuranga where Destiny was launched in 1998 by self-appointed Bishop Brian Tamaki and his wife Hannah.

Hannah celebrated her 54th birthday on Friday and was not available to discuss the church's growing wealth.

But this week she tweeted: “It's sad, the media are so besotted with the money side of Destiny. I (dare) you. To hear the (great) stories of success. From the (people) we (have) helped.”

Destiny Church was back in the spotlight after Brian called on followers to “shower the stage” in money at a service last month — raising $100,000 from churchgoers.

Last week the Herald on Sunday revealed the church had received more than $6m in donations and $1m in Government grants last year.

The Tamakis have refused to reveal how much they are being paid in salaries by the church.

Hannah has previously said the amount is available to Destiny's “giving community”.

However, former senior church members told the Herald on Sunday the salaries were secret. “No one would ask the questions, no one really wanted to delve into the financials or even raise questions. It wasn't the done thing,” one source said.

Destiny financial controller Marshall said Brian and Hannah's wages were paid from the Destiny Church Auckland Trust.

The trust has 11 fulltime staff and six part time workers, and pays a total of $842,530 in salaries.

“Due to confidentiality, as an employer the church does not publicly disclose how much we pay individually to staff. This is up to the employees individually if they would like to personally disclose,” Marshall said.

Destiny Church Auckland Trust has four officers including Hannah. Another officer Tala Leiasamaivao would not say if he knew how much the Tamakis were paid.

“It is [a simple question] but I'd rather not discuss that,” he said.

The Tamakis' five-bedroom home at Maraetai is still for sale for $1.7m. They have said they want to downsize.

Bevan Hurley is the Herald on Sunday chief reporter.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11373894
Report Spam   Logged

nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #290 on: December 14, 2014, 05:21:56 pm »

?

Kingdom Of God Trust  $1,148.83

http://www.ird.govt.nz/unclaimed-money/monies-k.html

Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
reality
« Reply #291 on: December 14, 2014, 06:32:35 pm »

Oh..hey..yeah.. thats actually mine..when can I pick it up Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #292 on: December 16, 2014, 08:47:32 am »

Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #293 on: May 24, 2015, 12:19:43 pm »

Cash wads for Destiny Church blessing

— The New Zealand Herald, Sunday, May 05, 2015

(click on the picture to view Bishop Brian Tamaki's ‘#iwannagive’ posting on Twitter)

Report Spam   Logged

Im2Sexy4MyPants
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #294 on: May 27, 2015, 02:16:55 pm »

It's their money if they want to give it to a cult then that is their problem not yours

I am sure you don't want people telling you what to do with your money do you ?

even demonic communist clones seem to spout on about human rights.

So leave these people alone let them believe in whatever invisible god they like and learn to mind your own business.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 02:25:19 pm by Im2Sexy4MyPants » Report Spam   Logged

Are you sick of the bullshit from the sewer stream media spewed out from the usual Ken and Barby dickless talking point look a likes.

If you want to know what's going on in the real world...
And the many things that will personally effect you.
Go to
http://www.infowars.com/

AND WAKE THE F_ _K UP
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #295 on: May 28, 2015, 12:46:58 am »

The Destiny Church cult preys on the simple-minded and takes their money so the Tamaki parasites can live like kings.
Report Spam   Logged

Im2Sexy4MyPants
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #296 on: May 28, 2015, 12:08:40 pm »

So they are a bit like communist then

they take the people's money and give it to themselves

The Destiny Church cult preys on the simple-minded and takes their money so the Tamaki parasites can live like kings.

Maybe you should make a sign and stand outside one of their churches and warn them about the evils of giving Brian their money lol
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 01:25:06 pm by Im2Sexy4MyPants » Report Spam   Logged

Are you sick of the bullshit from the sewer stream media spewed out from the usual Ken and Barby dickless talking point look a likes.

If you want to know what's going on in the real world...
And the many things that will personally effect you.
Go to
http://www.infowars.com/

AND WAKE THE F_ _K UP
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #297 on: January 26, 2016, 09:52:32 pm »

That evil blood-sucking leech and religious fundy-mental con-artist is at it again…

CLICK HERE to see what the religious parasite is up to.

Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #298 on: June 05, 2016, 11:22:50 am »

from the Sunday Star-Times....

Controversial US preacher tells Destiny worshippers
to ‘repent, repent, repent’

Brian Tamaki stood ankle deep in cash as his friend Eddie Long preached.

By SIMON MAUDE and TONY WALL | 7:46AM - Sunday, 05 June 2016

Destiny Church's Brian Tamaki stood ankle deep in cash at the church's annual conference on Saturday. — Photo: Lawrence Smith/Fairfax NZ.
Destiny Church's Brian Tamaki stood ankle deep in cash at the church's annual conference
on Saturday. — Photo: Lawrence Smith/Fairfax NZ.

A CONTROVERSIAL AMERICAN PREACHER who has faced allegations he sexually abused young men during a previous trip to New Zealand urged Destiny Church followers to “repent, repent, repent” at their annual conference.

American evangelist Eddie Long was the guest of honour at Destiny's annual get together at the “City of God” in Manukau, south Auckland, which attracted about 1,000 followers who paid $120 for a weekend pass.

“To ease the burden in the head … repent, repent, repent, repent …,” Long said on Saturday morning.

Standing just metres away in the church's hangar sized ‘Sanctuary’, ankle deep in tithed banknotes, stood self-appointed Destiny Church ‘Bishop’ Brian Tamaki who had invited Long as a special guest to the church's weekend Australasian ‘Invasion’ conference.

Both men refused to answer questions over Long's suitability to preach given past sexual abuse allegations.

In 2010, several young men of Long's New Birth Missionary Baptist Church in US state Georgia, sued staunchly anti-gay Long for alleged grooming and sexual abuse, some of which allegedly happened in New Zealand.

By 2011 four lawsuits resulting from those allegations, according to US media, were all subsequently dismissed, unable to proceed in court.

The four former members of a youth group Long ran had accused him of repeatedly coercing them into homosexual sex acts, and of abusing his moral authority over them while plying them with cash, new cars, lodging and lavish trips overseas trips including, for one of the four, a trip to New Zealand.

Maurice Robinson's lawsuit alleged Long lavished attention on him. Robinson was rewarded with a Chevy Malibu before him and Long travelled to New Zealand in 2008 — during that trip where Robinson turned 18, they began a sexual relationship.

American preacher Eddie Long, centre, preaches to Destiny Church attendees as Bishop Brian Tamaki, left, and wife Hannah cheer him on. — Photo: Simon Maude/Fairfax NZ.
American preacher Eddie Long, centre, preaches to Destiny Church attendees as Bishop
Brian Tamaki, left, and wife Hannah cheer him on. — Photo: Simon Maude/Fairfax NZ.

“Let's face it, all churches are good at covering this stuff up, so I suppose they don't see it as anything wrong,” Ken Clearwater said. — Photo: Don Scott/Fairfax NZ.
“Let's face it, all churches are good at covering this stuff up, so I suppose they don't
see it as anything wrong,” Ken Clearwater said. — Photo: Don Scott/Fairfax NZ.

Following Long's preaching, Destiny Church ‘Invasion’ conference attendees enjoyed a Kanyesque style christian hip hop jam. — Photo: Simon Maude/Fairfax NZ.
Following Long's preaching, Destiny Church ‘Invasion’ conference attendees enjoyed
a Kanyesque style christian hip hop jam. — Photo: Simon Maude/Fairfax NZ.

Manager of Male Survivors of Sexual Abuse Ken Clearwater said the unresolved historic allegations against Long are concerning and Bishop Brian Tamaki is turning a blind eye.

In 2010, Tamaki, who considers Long his ‘spiritual father’,  said he was shocked by the allegations but had reserved judgment on Long.

On Saturday Tamaki's spokespeople refused media access to the ‘Invasion’ event which borrows its theme from Long's approach to mentoring young men.

In an effort to get a response from Tamaki and Long Fairfax NZ attended the Manukau, South Auckland event, but was once again refused an interview with the men.

“Let's face it, all churches are good at covering this stuff up, so I suppose they don't see it as anything wrong,” Clearwater, a sexual abuse survivor himself, said.

It was easier in America for people in positions of power to bargain their way out of such cases, he said.

Clearwater said because Long had never been convicted it was difficult to stop him appearing in public.

“You can only go on hearsay.”

Brian Tamaki had “definitely turned a blind eye. It's no different to how the Catholic church has turned a blind eye to child abuse... they don't want to know that stuff. If this guy is a mentor of his he's definitely not going to say anything bad against him.”

He said when celebrities accused of sex abuse continued to appear in public it was “massively tough” for the victims. “It re-traumatises them. They get angry and think, ‘what's the point of coming forward?’”

Meanwhile, Destiny continue to seek new revenue streams, releasing mobile phone covers for sale at the conference this week.

The his and hers models feature quotes from Hannah and Brian Tamaki.

“I don't just blend into the crowd,” said Hannah's, while Brian's said: “I'm not born to live and do nothing.”

Related stories:

• Founder's sex scandal threatens mega-church

• Beleaguered pastor suspends preaching

• Church attacked for Jesus tweet

• Destiny criticised for flashing cash

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sunday-star-times/80754852
Report Spam   Logged

Molly
« Reply #299 on: June 05, 2016, 06:15:00 pm »

I wonder how religious he would be if his church ( sect) had to pay tax.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: