Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 11:17:54 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Bamboo

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bamboo  (Read 992 times)
AnFaolchudubh
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

Faugh a ballagh!

« on: October 18, 2009, 04:11:36 pm »

I've just been cutting down a sh*t load of Bamboo with the scrub bar, was using the chainsaw last week till I put it into my leg, have sh*te loads more to knock down in or back yard, but does anyone know what is good to spray any regrowth with?
Report Spam   Logged

Stupid people are not an endangered species so why are we protecting them
R. S. OhAllmurain

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

dragontamer
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 08:55:42 am »

Bamboo is a prick to get rid of.  Same as whisteria.

My next door neighbour says to find the roots and drill a hole.  Fill it with diesel, petrol or some such.  Recycled engine oil even.  That's all she uses to get rid of her problem plants and she's seemed to have got them under control. 

Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 09:12:45 am »

Ive got some stubborn plants - but I sorted them out - just poured straight weedspray onto them.  Undiluted.  Bamboo can be a shit to get rid of.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 10:12:22 am »

I can't find my book on weeds hence the delay in replying.

At a guess something like Woodyweed Killer may work but that does have a residual effect on the ground of around six months. Roundup won't kill it but may knock it back if that is what you want.

The only solution I have heard is hard work - digging it out.

However my neighbour does stop his spreading by mowing over the suckers (new shoots) that come up in his lawn every spring. A normal lawn mower will chop shoots about 8 inches high.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 02:51:56 pm »

Zero Glyphosate 490 Weedspray Concentrate
Non selective control of all grasses and broadleaf weeds, as well as onion weed, bamboo, lantana, blackberry and unwanted trees.

http://www.yates.com.au/products/weed-control/gardens-paths-and-driveways-non-selective-control/zero-glyphosate-490-weedspray-concentrate/
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 03:12:57 am »

I've just been cutting down a sh*t load of Bamboo with the scrub bar, was using the chainsaw last week till I put it into my leg, have sh*te loads more to knock down in or back yard, but does anyone know what is good to spray any regrowth with?

Whether your bamboo is the real tall variety with stalks as thick as the leg of a table or the smaller, thinner type there is possibly a market for the stems.

Otherwise I think the best way to contain either variety is to chop it at ground level, and as SsweetP says, control regrowth by mowing those underground runners as they appear.  

Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
pantherrr0
Senator
Bloody-Good Member

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 05:41:32 am »

mmmm digging it out  if possible will  be more effective than  cutting.  or burning out  whats left after  cutting, especially if there is  some  flax or oily  hot burning  stuff to  really bake the ground underneath. ^^ 
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: