Xtra News Community 2
April 20, 2024, 08:44:53 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

DNA to be collected from crime suspects

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DNA to be collected from crime suspects  (Read 306 times)
Calliope
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

If music be the food of love, play on

« on: February 10, 2009, 10:41:42 am »

The Government is planning to extend the mandatory collection of DNA samples from criminals to include those suspected of committing a crime.

Legislation will soon go through Parliament extending the powers authorities have to take the samples.

Justice Minister Simon Power says it will be phased in to allow ESR to meet capacity, and will be used as a tool to create a situation of conclusive guilt. He does not believe it is a step towards a surveillance society, as it is critical to determine innocence as much as to assist police as a tool to solving crimes.

Mr Power says the wider collection of DNA samples will do just as much for those who are innocent as those who are found guilty of a crime.
http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-stories/5311526/dna-collected-crime-suspects/

So now they want DNA from anyone they suspect - they don't need proof, just the opinion that you may have committed a crime.
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest49
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 10:58:14 am »

I guess the Shon Key government is moving after all!

Is that the sound of jackboots I hear?
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 11:04:49 am »

Righties tend to preach freedom, but they always lust after and bring in FASCISM and POLICE STATE bullshit when they are in power.
Report Spam   Logged
Crusader
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 12:29:25 pm »

I support collecting of DNA of those CONVICTED of a crime only. They say if a case against you can't be made then they will destroy your sample but to me that sounds like a Tui add.
Report Spam   Logged
bump head benny
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 12:37:54 pm »

Yep told yall the NWO was comin. and theyll keep comin in teensy steps until yall are screwed down tighter than a bug in a jar. And if you try a little dissent, they can easily stitch you up with their dna samples. The cops have done it before to get a conviction, theyll do it again.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 12:46:03 pm by bumphead benny » Report Spam   Logged

Lets kill all the warmongers.
Calliope

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 12:38:52 pm »

well at least we agree on something Crusader
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 01:20:30 pm »

Yeh Im with you Crusader - however I wouldnt like it to be on every type of crime, Id like to see it brought in on conviction for any level of violent crime.

On conviction - that way there is no issue about the destruction.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Calliope

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 01:40:25 pm »

there was nothing in the original story to suggest that those cleared of any crime would have their DNA destroyed.

It sounds to me like this is another ploy to eventually hold DNA on all citizens.
For instance: this from the Times on Line

Genetic mapping of babies by 2019 will transform preventive medicine
Every baby born a decade from now will have its genetic code mapped at birth, the head of the world's leading genome sequencing company has predicted.

A complete DNA read-out for every newborn will be technically feasible and affordable in less than five years, promising a revolution in healthcare, says Jay Flatley, the chief executive of Illumina.

Only social and legal issues are likely to delay the era of “genome sequences”, or genetic profiles, for all. By 2019 it will have become routine to map infants' genes when they are born, Dr Flatley told The Times.

This will open a new approach to medicine, by which conditions such as diabetes and heart disease can be predicted and prevented and drugs prescribed more safely and effectively.

http:/www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/science/article5689052.ece
Report Spam   Logged

Crusader
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 01:42:52 pm »

Where I said convicted I mean sent to jail for.
Little Johnny being charged and only reprimanded for stealing a handful of sweets at the corner dairy doesn't really warrant storing his DNA.

OMG Calliope, maybe I should change my mind, you and me agreeing on something may cause some wormhole to open and suck the whole world through  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: