Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 01:33:44 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Proxomitron

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Proxomitron  (Read 843 times)
dragontamer
« on: February 10, 2009, 01:50:48 pm »

TJ.

You posted somewhere about the above and I downloaded it.  But, even though I seem to have the settings at localhost and port 8080, I'm still seeing all the ads.

Can you point me to your message again so I can re-read it.  I've hunted for it and can't find it anywhere.  I seem to have missed a step and can't work it out.

Thanks
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 02:07:31 pm »

See here - mystery fire breathing person...

http://www.proxomitron.info/45/help/Installation.html
 Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 02:38:36 pm »

TJ.

You posted somewhere about the above and I downloaded it.  But, even though I seem to have the settings at localhost and port 8080, I'm still seeing all the ads.

Can you point me to your message again so I can re-read it.  I've hunted for it and can't find it anywhere.  I seem to have missed a step and can't work it out.

Thanks

Are you still using Slimbrowser?

If you are, do the following to get Proxomitron up and running with Slimbrowser once you have it installed....

1. Click on Tools, then Internet Options, then Connections.

2. Click on Settings.

3. Check the box: Use a proxy server for this connection (These settings will not apply to other connections).

4. Click on Advanced (this will open a dialogue window called: Proxy Settings).

5. In the HTTP row, enter localhost in the first column (Proxy address to use), and enter 8080 in the second column (Port).

6. And that's it.....exit each dialogue window by clicking OK and Proxomitron is now your working proxy server.

Now....once you have those settings enabled, your Browser (and email software) will not work unless you have actually started Proxomitron. So whenever you boot your computer up, use the Proxomitron icon on your desktop to start it up (if it isn't on your desktop, put an icon on it) before you go online. If you can see the Proxomitron symbol in your desktop's taskbar down the bottom, then it is running. Once you have started Proxomitron, you can leave it running indefinitely and when your computer is shut-down, Proxomitron will shut-down with it. One other thing....Proxomitron can be a little bit overzealous sometimes and freeze animated gif files so they aren't animated. The way to get around that is to open Proxomitron after you start it up (click on the symbol in the taskbar) and uncheck the Freeze GIF animation box. Leave it unchecked until next time you start your computer (and Proxomitron) when you will have to uncheck that box again. If Proxomitron blocks stuff from downloading that you really want to view (occasionally it will block legitimate images), open Proxomitron from the taskbar and click on the Bypass button, then Refresh the page. Proxomitron will lose its green colour in the taskbar and remain like that until you click on that Bypass button again. And.....if you really want to see advertisments, use that Bypass button to bypass the proxy server altogether.

Now....if you ever want to take Proxomitron out of use (by default setting), you don't need to uninstall it. All you need to do is to click on Tools, Internet Options, Connections, Settings; and uncheck that box: Use a proxy server for this connetion (These settings will not apply to other connections). And that's all you have to do. You can leave the proxy address and port number in place. Your computer will function as though Proxomitron had never been installed.

Other browsers will have slightly different settings, but you are still looking for roughly the same options to get Proxomitron working and blocking ads as it should. You should also have automatically downloaded a comprehensive Proxomitron manual (multi-page PDF document) when you downloaded the software. You might have to go looking for it on your computer.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 02:55:39 pm by Kiwithrottlejockey » Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 02:48:55 pm »

Ooops....just found out they have canned the PDF manual and instead have a HTML document. Click on Start, Programs, and look for the Proxomitron folder. You will see a link to open the instruction manual from there.

That instruction manual even tells you how to create your own new filters if advertisers start finding sneaky ways to beat Proxomitron and slip their advertisments past it. However, I've been running Proxomitron for years and have only had to create new filters twice in all that time. The program is a bloody good one!!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 02:51:01 pm by Kiwithrottlejockey » Report Spam   Logged
dragontamer
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 03:04:08 pm »

Thank you.

I won't have any trouble now there is a dedicated thread to it either lol. 

Very frustrating running around looking for a posting when you know it's there, but not which thread it was in.
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 03:59:48 pm »

Just one thing....I don't know how often you clear-out your Temporary Internet Files folder, but any ads that have downloaded with webpages and which still have the files sitting in that folder may still display if you open the same webpages and the same ads are still there. Proxomitron will function as intended and block those files from downloading, but they may still display from the Temporary Internet Files folder. However, that problem well disappear with time, or you could clear that folder out.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: