Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 11:06:52 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Booster seats for kids up to 12 years old is totally STUPID!!!

Poll
Question: The seats will be too friggin big and its not the seat that saves kids its the proper seat BELTS!!!  (Voting closed: February 02, 2009, 06:48:48 pm)
4 point harness seat belts should be mandatory - 2 (40%)
4 point harnesses for 6 to 15 yr olds - 1 (20%)
booster seats for 1 to 5 yr olds - 0 (0%)
booster seats for all kids up to 12 - 0 (0%)
booster seats for the numbskulls who want this law - 2 (40%)
Total Voters: 4

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Booster seats for kids up to 12 years old is totally STUPID!!!  (Read 612 times)
bump head benny
Shit-Hot Member

« on: January 26, 2009, 06:48:48 pm »

The booster seat companies have really lobbied this peice of crap through the media today, they want all kids up to 12 years old in friggin booster seats!!! WTF???
Those kiddy size ones are a hassle and a half to get in and out at the easiest of times, imagine how big a friggin 12 year olds booster seat is going to be??? not to mention their head will be all scrunched up on the roof of the car!! The best solution is 4 point harnesses for kids over 5 i reckon
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 06:54:23 pm by bumphead benny » Report Spam   Logged

Lets kill all the warmongers.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

wgtngirl
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 07:01:27 pm »

My two youngest used booster seats until they were 6 as they were both short.  I think from say 6 or 7 to 12 is a stupid idea.  When we got our current van we had the lap belts in the centre of the middle and back seats removed and full diagonal belts put in for better safety.  I have heard too many stories about kids slipping out of lap belts in an accident and landing up with the rear-view mirror in the middle of their foreheads.

Making booster seats compulsory for up to 12 year olds is not going to change anything.  Some idiot parents will not buckle their kids in at all regardless of what the law says.
Report Spam   Logged
k1w14ever
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 07:23:22 pm »

I think it is a great idea.  My son is 9 in April and is only 21kg and is still in the big booster seat.  Any child who is short and small should be in one until they out grown it.  Even if they made a bigger one I would get it.  It is not just so they can see it is also giving them total surport.
But hay each to they own and I know that if I have a axxident my son will be safe and not fall out of the belt like HUNDREDS of kids do because they will not sit in one or get out of them to early.
Report Spam   Logged

The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder.
bump head benny
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 08:32:31 pm »

Hey howd u get those nifty green stars wgtngril?
Report Spam   Logged

k1w14ever
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 08:33:51 pm »

bumphead, you have to be special to get a start, did your mummy not tell you that
Report Spam   Logged

The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder.
Ferney
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 09:07:47 pm »

Depends how tall kids are I spose and where the over shoulder part of the belt fits into them.   It often across their throat area which wouldn't be too flash in an accident. 
By a booster seat for up to 12 yr olds, they will mean those seat4bum only ones.  Not a full one.

I'd ask a few firemen who have attended road accidents, before I said it was a dumb idea.

Report Spam   Logged
k1w14ever
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 09:13:22 pm »

I see alot of friends over here who take there kids out of booster seats way to early.  My son is very small for his age and there is no way he will be going out of it for a couple of years.  And don't start me on tese young kids in the front.  If you have an airbag in the front no one under 140cm is aloud in the front.  They can die it is that simple.  We have a mark on one of our walls that our boy checks because when he gets that high he is aloud in the front.  Other wise no way. 
Report Spam   Logged

Ferney
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 09:20:21 pm »

Glad you have mentioned the airbags and kids Kiwi.   I was going to but didn't.   

Report Spam   Logged
Shef
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 03:52:58 am »

Perhaps the booster seat requirements should be based on size instead of age. I've known 7-8 year old children who are as large as an 'average' 12 year old, but have also known 12 year olds who are as small as a 7-8 year old.
This could be checked when they are innoculated, they get a certificate as to height/weight with an exemption when they reach the neccessary size.
Report Spam   Logged

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 06:18:41 am »

Why is it that people will fight tooth and nail NOT to have to place their kids or themselves safely in the car?

Like the old days of seatbelts - many flatly refused to wear them.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
wgtngirl
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 06:38:49 am »

You can buy 4 point harnesses that bolt to the floor at the back of the car for keeping kids safer.  I forgot about the issue with airbags.  I remember reading in the newspaper a couple of years back police saying that if there are enough available seats in the back of a car or van for all your kids to sit then they should sit there and not in the front of the car.
Report Spam   Logged
bump head benny
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 09:28:55 am »

Those diagonal lap belts are shit thats why Im all for the 4 point harnesses, theres minimal forward movent and I just think its stupid to have larger and larger booster seats coz even the kiddy size ones are a hassle and a half to put in and take out. Some good comment here peopolz.

Report Spam   Logged

ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 09:40:56 am »

One of my kids (sp2) grew out of the booster seat before she was 5. On athe advice of Plunket Carseat rental, I got a gizzmo that altered the angle of the diagonal part of the normal seatbeat to use for the for the 3 months until she was 5 to keep things legal. I kept using it until she was tall enough for an unaltered belt, which happened when she was 6. Roll Eyes

Sp2 is 11 and was 5'4" (161cm) in height the last time I measured, taller and heavier than several adult women I know. Put her in a booster seat?  :oLike hell! If she needs one so does nearly half the adult female population.

Sp3 grew out of the booster seat 3 weeks before his 5th birthday. At 8 years old he is  4'8"(143cm) in height. Even Sp1 was too big for a booster seat long before the time her brother (5 years younger) needed it.

A blanket age law for this is not practical as the need for a booster seat is dependent on a childs size (height) and weight. Only for baby seats facing forward does age/development come into it.

Here is another thing that few people think about; Ever wondered why so many families drive people movers when they only have 2 or 3 kids? It is because you can not fit 3 kids in the back seat of anything but the biggest of cars if one or two of them are in booster seats.

K1w1 is correct there is a big problem with kids and airbags so putting a small child in the front seat of a vehicle with airbags is not a good idea. In an accident the airbag can kill them.

4 point harness?
Maybe,
if small adults had to wear them as well.
Can they be installed in the centre seats of a people mover?

Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: