Xtra News Community 2
March 28, 2024, 10:36:29 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

'Shag bands' ~ coming soon to a kid near you

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Shag bands' ~ coming soon to a kid near you  (Read 113 times)
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« on: September 28, 2009, 09:03:27 am »

THEY look like a symbol of childhood innocence. But these bracelets are part of an "insidious" game that sees primary school kids perform sex acts.

And it is feared the craze may soon sweep WA

Rather than a mere fashion statement, the so-called "shag bands" are linked to grades of sexual behaviour. A Facebook page about the innocuous-looking bands has already been inundated with more than 12,000 fans.

The game involves a boy or girl trying to break the rubber band off the wearer's wrist. If it snaps, the wearer has to perform the sexual favour that corresponds to the colour.

Snap an orange band and get a kiss, snap a yellow and get a hug. But snap a black, light blue or light green band, and the "prize" is something far more sinister.

A gold-coloured bracelet opens the way to all the favours.

Parent and family groups are horrified by what is represented by the bracelets, which can be bought at Diva chain stores.

When primary school-aged girls on Facebook's shag band fan page were asked "what colour would you snap", replies included: "yellow, because I like hugz", and "light pink because only a kiss".

But the innocent comments were interspersed with other answers, such as, "black coz u get to shag someone". UrbanDictionary.com defines the rubber wrist bands as "jelly bracelets" and lists the entire repertoire of sexual favours.

Social commentator Melinda Tankard-Reist, who has has just edited Getting Real: Challenging the Sexualisation of Girls, said the so-called shag bands set young girls up for "sexual consumption".

"It's just setting up girls as service stations for boys," she said. "This is another example of young women expected to be publicly sexual, to advertise their sexual repertoire.

"It's insidious . . . it's damaging to girls and their worth."

Australian Childhood Foundation chief executive Joe Tucci said that early sexualisation was worrying.

"All this is selling the idea of sexualisation is a way to negotiate relationships," Dr Tucci said. "What's happened to just playing?"

Dr Tucci said if parents saw their children wearing the bands it was an opportunity to talk about tricky subjects such as sexuality.

"There's no point banning them, then you just make them more attractive," he said.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,26131576-5005370,00.html
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Magoo
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 09:29:03 am »

I wonder how old the genius was that invented this little game for the kiddies.
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 12:02:20 pm »

This has been around for a couple of years or more. So long that I am not sure that it is popular any more.

I will be having words with my girls if they buy any - not that they have.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: