Xtra News Community 2
April 20, 2024, 02:06:03 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Please All Read!!!!!!!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please All Read!!!!!!!  (Read 979 times)
Crusader
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2009, 11:56:25 am »

Thats great that you put your hand up. But the one thing that really grates me is people laying complaints over silly little things. This is purely my opinion here so don't ask me to back it up with fact but I think NZ is turning into a bitching and whining state where you really have to watch what you say or do in case you offend someone. What happened to that saying 'sticks and stones?'
Report Spam   Logged
Calliope
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

If music be the food of love, play on

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2009, 12:04:02 pm »

I understand your point crusader, and I may be old fashioned but I believe there are standards of decency which in the current world are being eroded by people who chose to use words either to shock or because they have limited vocabularies. Didn't someone once say if you want to change the world you have to start with the small things
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times
relaxed1
Bloody-Good Member

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2009, 12:27:48 pm »

I've been a member XNC since 2000 and i do not judge people in here that use the word fuck cunt or any other swear word every now and again other wise i would probably NEVER read anyones posts for all thoughs who are greatly offended maybe there should be and ignore bin so there posts are not visable to you i have seent this on other sites.

I will say fucken bastard everytime i read the child abuse thread and a few others that i post on.

I know who i am and your approval isn't needed
Report Spam   Logged

I know how i am and your approval isn't needed
bump head benny
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2009, 12:39:30 pm »

whukitall
Report Spam   Logged

Lets kill all the warmongers.
relaxed1
Bloody-Good Member

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2009, 12:42:30 pm »

OK maybe not 2000 but around there anway lol
Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2009, 12:52:24 pm »

I've been a member XNC since 2000 and i do not judge people in here that use the word fuck cunt or any other swear word every now and again other wise i would probably NEVER read anyones posts for all thoughs who are greatly offended maybe there should be and ignore bin so there posts are not visable to you i have seent this on other sites.

I will say fucken bastard everytime i read the child abuse thread and a few others that i post on.

I know who i am and your approval isn't needed

Hear hear!
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
dragontamer
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2009, 01:42:08 pm »

The brilliant thing about this forum is that not only do we see there is a new post, but we get to see who wrote it.  Something that MSN never did, nor never wanted to. 

If you know a certain poster or posters are not your cup of tea, you can buzz right over that thread.  A form of self moderating really. 

Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2009, 01:59:12 pm »

The brilliant thing about this forum is that not only do we see there is a new post, but we get to see who wrote it.  Something that MSN never did, nor never wanted to. 

If you know a certain poster or posters are not your cup of tea, you can buzz right over that thread.  A form of self moderating really. 

You can actually take the concept a lot further with the settings of these groups.

An administrator can select how many of the most recently posted messages in a thread are displayed on the messageboard. You could in theory get each thread to display who posted the last nine messages. But things would rapidly get out of hand, because the messageboard page would be 4-5 times as big, unless you drastically redued the number of threads displayed on each page (another setting you can play with....the default is 20 threads per page, but I changed it to the old MSN standard of 50 threads per page).

But you can take things even futher than that. On the group's homepage, where the entry point to each messageboard shows who posted the last message in that board and provides a link directly to the thread it was posted in, you can display up to he last nine messages posted in each board, once again with the links to the threads they were posted to. But you run into the same situation with the individual messageboards in that you'd end up with a huge homepage involving a shitload of scrolling if you allowed all those options. You've got to play a bit of a balancing act, weighing up the advantages of a particular setting value against the consequences.

There is however one thing I really miss from MSN Groups, and that is the ability when posting a message to be able to check a box labelled: Use HTML to post this message and start with a virtual clean sheet of blank page allowing you to use your own HTML formatting codes (such as <P> ... </P>, <BR><BR>, and HTML tables allowing one to position image files anywhere you want within the body of a message and insert the text around it. Or being able to use HTML code tables of columns where you have full control of padding values and stuff like that. I really miss having that much control over layout of messages.

But over-all these groups are like the difference between the steam-age and the digital-age when compared with MSN Groups.
Report Spam   Logged
sparkels

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2009, 02:48:58 pm »

It's all very well if you are a moderator or an administrator, you get to call the shots.  In a forum such as this, we are surpposed to be adults, and adults use bad language every now and again. 

I disagree with censureship, and for those few who need to express themselves because they are angry over an issue or comment, I say they should be able to write what they wish.  I'm so sick and tired of so much 'pc', personally. 

Mostly, on comments which include that awful C word, other members can well censure that commentary themselves, by simply denouncing the poster in full public view.  I've found that to work quite well, it's amazing how condemnation from peers puts the kybosh on repeat offending. 
Report Spam   Logged

Don't worry, be happy.
chrismrky

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2009, 02:59:01 pm »

I

Mostly, on comments which include that awful C word, other members can well censure that commentary themselves, by simply denouncing the poster in full public view.  I've found that to work quite well, it's amazing how condemnation from peers puts the kybosh on repeat offending. 

in theory that sounds quite obvious sparkelz............
in practice it never worked before as far as I could see......
mainly because it used to end up in a 'slanging' match between certain posters.  THATS what put a lot of people off the old board. Roll Eyes
got sick and tired of reading the same ole, same old....slanging matches.  Not debate, not constructive critisims, not personal ideas/ideals which were respected.   You ended up getting 'disked;' for saying almost anything.........  it was pretty off-putting in the end.

ah yes,  you could say 'grow up'  'get over it'  but I dont see why we HAD  to put up with continuious backlashings from certain people Angry
Report Spam   Logged

today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday....is it really been that bad today?

If we can put two men on the moon.....why cant we put the whole lot there? eh?
Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2009, 03:04:24 pm »

Actually, this group has one thing the old group didn't have....The Biffo Room (which is a sub-messageboard of this one, and invisible to non-members or members who aren't logged-in); and messageboard moderators (of any messageboard in the group) have the ability to dump entire threads into that sub-board.

So the idea is that if a thread degenerates into a huge shitfight in this (or any other messageboard), a moderator can literally dump the shitfight into The Biffo Room. Then people who get turned off by that sort of thing can stay out of The Biffo Room and those who want to carry on the shitfight in that thread can do so out of sight. That is the intended method of dealing with things and the reason why that sub-messageboard (the group's naughty room) was created. But it is up to moderators of the General Forum messageboard to make use of The Biffo Room in that way.
Report Spam   Logged
relaxed1
Bloody-Good Member

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2009, 03:14:12 pm »

Well for me KTJ that kinda sucks... Kinda vanilla really having to leave a room at the discretion of someone elses choosing...thats still censoring...for me i think if you stay on "topic" you should be allowed to say what ever you want.
Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2009, 03:29:05 pm »

Yeh Ive been looking at that Biffo Room - seems kinda odd if thats what you are considering using it for - while 5 people might be having a genuine debate and along comes our resident abusers .. BM, Blod, NF Magpie .. and cos they have a shitfight the thread gets shifted.  Angry

Also -- The biffo room takes up a hell of of lot of room at the top of the page as it sits - can it take up less room??

And the pinned ones at the top - will they stay? I can see us having a page of pinned topics at the top before we get to the REAL debating issues.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Ares Abani
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2009, 01:29:33 am »

"I know who i am and your approval isn't needed"

AMEN!!! Those words say it all!  I think relaxed is my new favorite poster Smiley

Report Spam   Logged

CS Lewis says in 'A Grief Observed'
"I need Christ, not something that resembles Him.”
relaxed1
Bloody-Good Member

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2009, 01:42:56 am »

Thanks Lovelee and Ares...
Report Spam   Logged

k1w14ever
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2009, 07:13:06 am »

holy crap, someone complain so I thought I would post something.
I will back off so go for it
Report Spam   Logged

The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder.
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2009, 07:50:12 am »

holy crap, someone complain so I thought I would post something.
I will back off so go for it

LOL

I trust that was a lesson for ya Kiwi!!

Will you mods be jumping whenever you recieve complaints?
This example is a classic and I for one think all complaints should be placed before the group - in fact maybe a complaint thread.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: