Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 07:39:35 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Obituaries

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Obituaries  (Read 33573 times)
Calliope
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

If music be the food of love, play on

« Reply #200 on: July 05, 2012, 11:02:49 am »

Eric Sykes, the widely-acclaimed British comedy actor and writer, has died.

He was 89.

Sykes was one of the most popular comic actors of his generation, appearing in shows in London's West End into his 80s.

He began his career writing scripts for BBC shows, co-writing 24 episodes of the classic radio comedy "The Goon Show" with the late Spike Milligan.

He appeared in the "Sykes and a" sitcom about a brother and sister living together in west London, which ran in the 1960s and 1970s. He went on to write and act in theatre shows and movies, including an appearance in "The Others" starring Nicole Kidman and in the Harry Potter film "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire."

Sykes also wrote scripts for Peter Sellers and other major British actors.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv/7224508/British-comedian-Eric-Sykes-dies
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #201 on: July 08, 2012, 03:51:00 pm »

British comedian Eric Sykes dies

Eric Sykes, the widely-acclaimed British comedy actor and writer, has died.

He was 89.

Sykes was one of the most popular comic actors of his generation, appearing in shows in London's West End into his 80s.

He began his career writing scripts for BBC shows, co-writing 24 episodes of the classic radio comedy "The Goon Show" with the late Spike Milligan.

He appeared in the "Sykes and a" sitcom about a brother and sister living together in west London, which ran in the 1960s and 1970s. He went on to write and act in theatre shows and movies, including an appearance in "The Others" starring Nicole Kidman and in the Harry Potter film "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire."

Sykes also wrote scripts for Peter Sellers and other major British actors.

Manager Norma Farnes said that Sykes died following a brief illness and was with his family when he passed away, but did give the cause of his death or specify if Sykes had been at home or in a hospital.

TV star and former Monty Python member Michael Palin said Sykes was "one of the nicest, most decent men in the business and one of a kind."

"To me, he was a great inspiration, both as a writer and performer," Palin said.

Comedian Stephen Fry paid tribute on Twitter, writing: "Oh no! Eric Sykes gone? An adorable, brilliant, modest, hilarious, innovative and irreplaceable comic master. Farewell, dear, dear man."

Comedy writer Eddie Braben said Sykes was a "monumental man of comedy, an inspirational figure for those who aimed for comedy success." He said Sykes' death leaves "an enormous gap in the field of fun. His was the comedy of innocence. He didn't raise any bruises, only laughter."

Sykes was survived by his wife, Eith Eleanore Milbrandt, and his four children.

Farnes could not immediately be reached to confirm details of funeral arrangements.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv/7224508/British-comedian-Eric-Sykes-dies
Report Spam   Logged
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #202 on: July 09, 2012, 11:43:16 am »

Oscar-winner Ernest Borgnine dies at 95

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=10818366
Report Spam   Logged
Justic
Global Moderator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #203 on: July 12, 2012, 08:59:01 pm »

A sister is a little bit of childhood that can never be lost.
RIP my dear sister 28/06/2012
Report Spam   Logged

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
Alicat
« Reply #204 on: July 12, 2012, 09:11:54 pm »

So sorry to hear of your loss
Report Spam   Logged
Calliope

« Reply #205 on: July 12, 2012, 10:33:51 pm »

My thoughts are with you.
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #206 on: July 13, 2012, 09:09:34 am »

Shocked sorry about that, Justic
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
Justic
Global Moderator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #207 on: July 13, 2012, 10:08:16 pm »

Thanks for the kind thoughts.  I am still getting my head around the fact that she has gone.
Report Spam   Logged

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #208 on: July 21, 2012, 05:15:27 pm »

Friends pay tribute to motorcyclist

Sat, 21 Jul 2012 1:26p.m.

Friends of the 71-year-old motorcylist who died on the Waikato Expressway yesterday say he had negotiated some of the toughest roads in the world on his touring bike.

Bryan Wyness was a well-known motorcycle enthusiast, and was one of six "silk riders" whose 20,000-kilometre journey from Venice to Beijing was recorded in a book by economist Gareth Morgan.

"Bryan has negotiated some of the toughest roads in the world, through Central Asia through all sorts of four-wheel-drive and off-road tracks in New Zealand, through 20 Brass Monkeys in snow and ice and to die on a normal stretch of road on hard pack is a little ironic," friend Mike O'Donnell told Fairfax Media.

Mr Wyness, who was known as "The Captain", was riding the same BMW F650GS touring bike he used on these journeys when he died yesterday only a short ride from his home. The accident at Rangiriri happened about 7:50am.

He was travelling in the left southbound lane of the expressway when he lost control and veered into the right-hand lane and crashed.

Mr Wyness was a commissioner of the Transport Accident Investigation Commission.

He had a 40-year career in the aviation industry, working most recently as an independent aviation consultant in safety, operational risk management and aviation regulatory policy advice.

He had held all senior management roles in flight operations at Air New Zealand and flew Boeing 747-400s.

He was a top mini-racing driver, had run 40 marathons and had overcome cancer.

NZN

http://www.3news.co.nz/Friends-pay-tribute-to-motorcyclist/tabid/423/articleID/262117/Default.aspx
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #209 on: July 22, 2012, 10:20:42 pm »

ACT mourns loss of former party President

The ACT Party was today deeply saddened by the news that former ACT Party President Michael Crozier has passed away.

"Michael lived a full life with many fine adventures, and he died peacefully at home on Saturday, July 21 2012, with his family by his side," ACT Party President Chris Simmons said.

"Michael grew up in Christchurch and completed a PhD in Physics before going on to work in the US, and the UK. He moved back to New Zealand where he eventually became Chief Scientist in the Ministry of Defence.

"Michael joined ACT in 1996 and held numerous roles, including Chair in the North Shore Electorate, Regional Chair on the ACT Board, and Deputy President, before he stepped up to the role of Party President in 2009 - retiring in 2010. In all this, his partner June Toose and his family gave him invaluable support.

"Politically, Michael believed that people are happiest if they can make the most of their potential; and that, by a happy coincidence, our country performs best if everyone contributes as much as they are able.

"Out of his great intelligence and kind heart he aimed to help others to be the best they could be. Michael will be sorely missed," Mr Simmons said.

A non-theistic service will be held at St-Matthews-in-the-City, corner of Hobson and Wellesley Street, Auckland on 26 July 2012 at 1.00pm to celebrate his life.

No flowers please; donations to St John Northern Region, Private Bag 14902, Panmure, Auckland 1741.

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-stories/14333947/act-mourns-loss-of-former-party-president/
Report Spam   Logged
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #210 on: July 23, 2012, 09:10:12 pm »

Author Margaret Mahy dead at 76

Children's book author Margaret Mahy, one of New Zealand's most acclaimed literary figures, died today.

Mahy, 76, died in Christchurch this afternoon after a brief illness, according to multiple reports.

"...One of New Zealand's greatest-ever writers - I put her up there with Katherine Mansfield," wrote book blogger Graham Beattie in an online tribute to her.

Ms Mahy, who wrote her first story when she was 7, has won numerous awards and honours for her contribution to New Zealand and children's literature.

She has written more than 120 books which have been translated into 15 languages. She has also won many of the world's premier children's book awards, including the Carnegie Medal and the prestigious Hans Christian Andersen Award.

Her book A Lion in the Meadow, published in 1969, launched her global career and she became a full time writer in 1980.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10821682
Report Spam   Logged
Magoo
« Reply #211 on: July 24, 2012, 07:22:44 am »

Report Spam   Logged
Magoo
« Reply #212 on: August 04, 2012, 03:14:42 pm »

He was just right in every role he played in my opinion.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoffrey_Hughes
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #213 on: August 04, 2012, 03:27:41 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

Magoo
« Reply #214 on: August 08, 2012, 08:08:48 am »

Another very talented man gone but will be long remembered.
http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/obit/story/2012-08-07/Marvin-Hamlisch/56844358/1
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #215 on: August 08, 2012, 09:18:51 am »

Robert Hughes, Art Critic Whose Writing Was Elegant and Contentious, Dies at 74

By RANDY KENNEDY

Published: August 6, 2012

...With a Hemingwayesque build and the distinctively rounded vowels of his native Australia, Mr. Hughes became as familiar a presence on television as he was in print, over three decades for Time magazine, where he was chief art critic and often a traditionalist scourge during an era when art movements fractured into unrecognizability. ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/07/arts/robert-hughes-art-critic-whose-writing-was-elegant-and-contentious-dies-at-74.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

a VERY colourful character,  read the link - more at wikipedia
Report Spam   Logged

Alicat
« Reply #216 on: August 08, 2012, 06:36:55 pm »

Another very talented man gone but will be long remembered.
http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/obit/story/2012-08-07/Marvin-Hamlisch/56844358/1

RIP

He composed some truly great songs.
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #217 on: August 08, 2012, 06:38:20 pm »

The music from A CHORUS LINE is brilliant. I have the DVD of the movie of the show, but went and saw the stage production in the 1990's in Wellington. What a fantastic and colourful show it was.
Report Spam   Logged
Ferney

« Reply #218 on: August 17, 2012, 01:57:04 pm »

Don't know quite what to say but Mr F passed away suddenly recently.  He went off to work one morning and never came home.  Its like I keep expecting him to walk through the front door.  Our 12 yr grandson lives with us as his father is working in Oz and he has taken it really hard....says Gdad said he was going to live forever.  My 2 older kids have been brilliant and both took a week off work and stayed here with us.  Mr F's brother and his wife got on a plane hours from the UK hours after they got the news so that was brilliant.  Everyone has gone home now so its just me, the grandson and the cat. 
The champion fisherman (as people called Mr F) has gone. 
I've been really stressed about work but a company we do work for has come in and is doing it for me. They are going to buy it and have offered me work which I'm going to take as suits me to work about 15 hours a week to keep me out of trouble !

Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #219 on: August 17, 2012, 02:07:09 pm »

Sorry to hear of your loss Ferney I think you need one of these.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #220 on: August 17, 2012, 02:31:22 pm »

oh Ferney this is a tough time for you, his grandson will be devastated too. 
  and letting us know will have been difficult for you, so thankyou.

So pleased your business and job have been re-organised, his absence will leave such a big gap in your daily routine. 

Report Spam   Logged

Magoo
« Reply #221 on: August 17, 2012, 03:05:13 pm »

I am so sorry to read your sad news Ferney.     I hope that your happy memories will sustain you through these days of sadness. 
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #222 on: August 17, 2012, 05:42:28 pm »

Ferney - I am so sorry to hear your sad news.
Report Spam   Logged
Ferney

« Reply #223 on: August 17, 2012, 10:11:27 pm »

Thankyou for your kind thoughts and thankyou Nitz for I know you have been here too.
Report Spam   Logged
Calliope

« Reply #224 on: August 17, 2012, 11:23:20 pm »

Sorry to hear your news Ferney.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: