Xtra News Community 2
April 19, 2024, 08:48:47 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Obituaries

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Obituaries  (Read 34520 times)
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #150 on: October 13, 2011, 01:29:28 pm »

Southern Opera founder Chris Doig passes away

International opera singer, sports administrator and Southern Opera founder Chris Doig died in Christchurch this morning after a long illness.

Doig, 62, who had battled bowel cancer for several years, last appeared in public last week at the Placido Domingo concert in Christchurch.

His personal connection with the Spanish tenor brought him to New Zealand for a one-off concert that raised money for Canterbury arts organisations.

Doig was made made a Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit in June.

He was an opera star, artistic mover and shaker, former New Zealand Cricket chief executive and member of the New Zealand Rugby Union board.

NZRU chairman Mike Eagle said Doig's passing was very sad.

"Chris' contribution to New Zealand through sport, art and entertainment is immense.  This is a very sad day for us all. On behalf of the NZRU and the New Zealand rugby community, I extend our heartfelt love and thoughts for Chris' wife Suzanne, and their family."

In an interview with The Press in June, Doig said he was treating his cancer as ''another project that I have to deal with''.

''I've led such an amazing life that I have no regrets. I'm sanguine about the whole thing. I'm certainly not angry or pissed off,'' he said.

''I just happen to be incredibly pragmatic about it, perhaps because I've had such a charmed life.''

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/5780256/Southern-Opera-founder-Chris-Doig-passes-away
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: