Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 02:13:24 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

'Unnoticed': Woman in coma gives birth to stillborn

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Unnoticed': Woman in coma gives birth to stillborn  (Read 129 times)
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« on: September 05, 2009, 08:22:37 pm »

The Perth hospital in which a woman gave birth to a stillborn baby without staff noticing has defended its level of care.

Sharon May was in an induced coma in intensive care while being treated for pneumonia and swine flu at Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital.

Mrs May was 24 weeks' pregnant, when last month while still in a coma she gave birth to a stillborn boy.

He was found in her bed when a nurse checked on her.

Mrs May's husband, Danny, says the system has let the family down.

"I think they failed us big time," he said.

"How can you grieve? The body is a broken vessel at the moment.

"How do you deal with it? It's not a question I can answer."

Hospital management says it is doing all it can to assist the family and it stands by its medical care delivered to all patients admitted with swine flu.

Spokeswoman Dr Shirley Bowen says the level of care was appropriate.

"We do not believe we have provided anything but excellent care to this woman," she said.

"We provided a high standard of care. We followed the obstetrician's advice completely.

"I do not believe that there was anything in terms of her care that should have been provided and did not provide to prevent this outcome."

The May family's lawyer has called for a coronial investigation.

Mr May's lawyer, John Hammond, says there needs to be a coronial inquiry.

"And there should be a full ministerial investigation as to why the health system has so dramatically failed and is it now in a permanent state of collapse," he said.

Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Shef
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 08:29:54 pm »

At 24 weeks, how could they not be monitoring/caring for the baby as well. Yes I think the family has been let down.
Report Spam   Logged

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 08:41:08 pm »

How did they not know she was pregnant?  Did she not know?
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Shef
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 08:52:29 pm »

I had a miscarriage at 22 weeks, if they didn't know, they shouldn't have been there.
Report Spam   Logged

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 10:07:40 pm »

When the woman herself can't alert others to her labour how do you seriously expect it to be noticed? It isn't something that is terribly visible and may not last long.

At just 24 weeks the fetus would have been moving around too much for continual monitoring without a nurse manning and moving the senors. These are held on the abdomen with big tight belts. Generally they are not left in place for more than half and hour at a time unless delivery is imminent. In high risk cases monitoring twice a day was normal when I had sp1 nearly 15 years ago.

Continual monitoring is only used in labour and if you have anesthesia without the monitor you don't necessarily know when a contraction happens.

Even when in labour the belt method of monitoring is less than perfect as even a full term baby can move around a little, enough to lose the signal. The only surefire method is to attach the monitor to the baby's scalp. Not an option at 24 weeks or if the waters are still intact.

I have had both a preterm delivery with extensive monitoring beforehand, an inducted delivery with a spinal anesthetic and use to work with antenatal classes.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: