Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 08:45:37 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Bushfire Disaster Deaths

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bushfire Disaster Deaths  (Read 2432 times)
Jodes
Bloody-Good Member

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2009, 08:36:37 pm »

I think the author of this thread was confused as to which state was getting the bulk of the bush fires.
There has been no deaths recorded in NSW as yet.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 10:19:13 pm by Jodes » Report Spam   Logged

Jody
Calliope
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

If music be the food of love, play on

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2009, 08:49:19 pm »

I think we should ignore the NSW part of the topic header and realise that while the initial post was about NSW, subsequent posts have moved on
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times
Brownie55
Global Moderator

OK, so what’s the speed of dark?

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2009, 05:17:37 am »

93 dead and still rising.
Report Spam   Logged

I almost had a psychic boyfriend, but he left me before we met.
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2009, 05:29:18 am »

Or perhaps the author might want to edit their post and change the title?
Report Spam   Logged

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2009, 06:18:46 am »

Listening to the news this morning brought back the Ash Wednesday fires for me.
We were on the N/W outskirts of Melb, could see the flames at night and smell it all day, the dust and ashes whipped up by the gale force winds lay over every article of furniture in the house.

Does anyone else feel useless?
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Brownie55
Global Moderator

OK, so what’s the speed of dark?

« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2009, 07:11:56 am »

Bushfires in south eastern Australia have wiped out whole towns and killed at least 108 people, in the country's worst natural disaster.

The total of deaths is climbing everytime I look.  Horrendous tragedy.
Report Spam   Logged

I almost had a psychic boyfriend, but he left me before we met.
k1w14ever
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2009, 07:16:40 am »

I have had to turn the news off.  I know that this is a disaster and all but why oh why do tv vhannels have to set up cameras and show so much footage of familys in disapear?  Some have lost animals or cannot find friends etc. 
It is the same when any large thing happens.  And no I don't think people want to see the same footage time and again of these people talking about what they have lost or the pm hugging you.
Report Spam   Logged

The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder.
Jodes
Bloody-Good Member

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2009, 07:28:53 am »

I can't watch any of it either. It is Australia's worst fire tragedy in history.
Report Spam   Logged

Jody
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2009, 07:34:33 am »

Kiwi - I guess in todays media savvy world this is for some acceptable.

The filming becomes a record of what was lost, of the heroes and the villains.  I have mates living in some of the outlying towns from Adelaide and find watching the news of it handy for me to know - at this stage all is OK for them.

LOL mate - its funny to see my old stomping ground, Ingham under water .. well not funny - but what happens is all the memories come flooding back - my heads been full of them for the last few days.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2009, 07:35:53 am »

Where in Aus are you Jodes?
Report Spam   Logged

Jodes
Bloody-Good Member

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2009, 08:32:47 am »

The Hunter Valley region of NSW.
A few years back we had some devastating fires come through various areas of the The Valley with quite a few deaths and 100's of thousands of acres destroyed. There is back burning that goes on in winter now to try and avoid it happening again.
Report Spam   Logged

Jody
k1w14ever
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2009, 09:37:47 am »

I was a firefighter when we first came over here and I remember it was a war with councils to let us back burn.  Then after the fires Jodes is talking about they let us do them. 
What amazes me most about fires over here is tha although things a black for a while it does not take long for things to re-grow.
Report Spam   Logged

The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder.
Calliope

If music be the food of love, play on

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2009, 10:08:09 am »

perhaps I am naive but it seems to me that bush fires are a fact of life in Australia yet people still want to live in bush areas. I feel deep sympathy for those who have lost everything and those who have died but it all seems to me that not enough it being done by these people to ensure their safety.
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2009, 12:09:18 pm »

This time it isn't just bush areas.

What got up my snorer was people faxing in to the Breakfast program saying people should have cleared the trees around their houses. Angry
How dumb can some people get. Fire is a rare event but heat falls every day. Even with that being the case many land owners don't let trees grow near their dwellings but a gum tree can explode in a fire spreading sparks and flying debris for many metres.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2009, 12:32:23 pm »

If I remember correctly in days of old - when the aborigines ruled the land - they back burned themselves - understanding the dangers of the dry trash that lies everywhere.  Its the trash that brings the ground spread of flames, travelling fast, cos theres usually hot gale force winds when the fires are like this.  Then like SP says the flames tangle up under a eucalypt and the gasses blow straight up the tree.  The hot gale force winds blow flaming balls out of the fire and dump it somewhere else, moving the fire along.

Most people nowadays have trash free areas around their homes, those in the bush, but ya cant chop down trees and expect to stop fires.

The 'mallee' in aus - which is north/east of Melbourne - has had every tree cut down so they can grow wheat there.  All there is left now is sand.
Report Spam   Logged

Megan Au
Getting The Hang Of It

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2009, 12:33:05 pm »

How can they label this as a natural disaster when they were deliberatly lit ?

This is mass murder is what it is !
Report Spam   Logged

Some people are like slinkies , you can't help but laff when they tumble down the stairs !
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2009, 12:34:14 pm »

Not all of them were deliberately lit.
Report Spam   Logged

Megan Au
Getting The Hang Of It

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2009, 12:34:36 pm »

Backburning would have done zip to stop this wall of flames ..............with the windy conditions the fire was jumping across parts which had been  cleared
Report Spam   Logged

Some people are like slinkies , you can't help but laff when they tumble down the stairs !
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2009, 12:35:54 pm »

Absolutely - thats not what I was suggesting at all.
Report Spam   Logged

Megan Au
Getting The Hang Of It

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2009, 12:37:29 pm »

Fire starters will face murder chargesIt has been revealed that arsonists were lighting fresh fires in the most devastated areas already under siege.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/national/national/general/fire-starters-will-face-murder-charges/1428042.aspx

Report Spam   Logged

Shef
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2009, 02:19:49 pm »

I just can't understand the mentality of these people. WHY!!! WTF would you start something that you KNOW is going to cause others to die a horrific death. Or to a lesser extent lose everything they own.
I think they SHOULD be strung up! They obviously don't have normal human emotions/feelings.
Report Spam   Logged

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2009, 02:25:26 pm »

Accused fire bug refused bail

Posted 35 minutes ago

A 31-year-old man has been refused bail after being charged with lighting a bushfire on the New South Wales central coast yesterday.

Police allege Jason Nicholas Farrell, from Killarney Vale, deliberately lit a small blaze at Kariong, near Gosford, on Saturday.

It has since been put out but another 46 bushfires are still burning across the state.

The 31-year-old was questioned by police on Saturday and released.

However, he was questioned again yesterday and charged with intentionally causing a fire and being reckless to its spread.

Farrell did not appear in court today and did not apply for bail. It was formally refused.

He is due to face court again next week.

The fire at Kariong burnt close to another blaze that tore through about 200 hectares of bush land and came dangerously close to homes at Peats Ridge yesterday.

Fire crews are trying to take advantage of easing conditions to bring it under control today.

Teen suspect

A 15-year-old boy has also been charged with lighting a fire in the Blue Mountains.

The boy allegedly let off an explosive that started a small scrub fire behind a community hall in Faulconbridge yesterday afternoon.

The fire has been put out and the teenager has been released on bail to face court next month.

The Rural Fire Service also says it has put out a fire started by a man in Sydney's north-west today.

A spokeswoman says crews were called to a property at Maraylya where a man had set a pile of wood stumps alight without a permit.

She says the incident is being investigated and information will be passed on to police.

Police suspect some of the bushfires that killed at least 108 people in Victoria over the weekend were also deliberately lit.

Earlier today, New South Wales Premier Nathan Rees threatened harsh punishment for anyone convicted of arson.

"Anyone who lights a fire in these conditions is likely to imperil life. The maximum penalty is 25 years in jail," he said.

"We will throw the book at you if you are caught, we will throw the book at you.

"This is not fun, this is not something clever, this is something that can kill people."
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/02/09/2486292.htm
Report Spam   Logged

Crusader
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2009, 04:40:57 pm »

Show them the same respect they showed all those that were burnt alive.

Tip petrol over them and set them on fire.
Report Spam   Logged
k1w14ever
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2009, 05:58:34 pm »

setting fire to them is not the way.  They need to be inprisioned for life and throw away the keys.
Then let the inmates know what they did.
Report Spam   Logged

in2fx

Snakeman

« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2009, 06:08:52 pm »

PRIME Minister Kevin Rudd said arsonists in Victoria had committed mass murder as the death toll in Australia's worst ever bushfires rose to 131 this afternoon, with the final toll expected to be much more.

Authorities are being warned to expect a toll of 230

Fires were still burning out of control and putting towns at risk in the Beechworth and Yackandandah regions in the state's northeast.  Toolangai, Churchill and other areas were also put on bushfire alert.

Amid speculation some of the fires were deliberately lit - and with reports yesterday that people were returning to relight blazes after fire crews had left an area - Mr Rudd said: "There are no words to describe it other than mass murder."

At least 750 homes have been destroyed and 3733 people have registered with the Red Cross after evacuating their properties.  The number left homeless is expected to be far higher, the Red Cross said.

It was confirmed that at least four children have died, but that figure would also be expected to rise as full details emerged. 

A two-year-old girl was among 13 in intensive care in hospital.  Twenty-two people with shocking burns were admitted to the Alfred hospital, the state's main trauma centre, where staff ran out of morphine trying to ease patients' pain.

Most of the damage was done by two massive fires - one that virtually wiped out towns northeast of Melbourne including Kinglake and Marysville with a 100km front - and a second inferno that raced across Gippsland.

TV veteran Brian Naylor and his wife Moiree were among the dead.  The pair died when the fire at Kinglake swept through their property.

Bushfire experts told news.com.au that blazes with a danger rating of 100 are considered uncontrollable.  Saturday's fire had a rating of 400.

Horrific deaths

Six victims were in one car trying to outrun the inferno which swept through Kinglake in minutes.  A resident said the town was littered with burnt-out cars and he believed many contained bodies.

"It's going to look like Hiroshima, I tell you, it's going to look like a nuclear bomb," he told Melbourne's Herald Sun.

His daughter told of another resident who "went to put his kids in the car, put them in, turned around to go grab something from the house, then his car was on fire with his kids in it, and they burnt".

Weather conditions have eased since Saturday's firestorm, but firefighters were still battling 31 active blazes across the state as of 11.00am (AEDT), authorities said.  The communities of Stanley, Bruarong, Dederang, Gundowring, Gundowring Upper, Kancoona, Kancoona South, Coral Bank, Glenn Creek and Running Creek remained under threat, they said.

Residents of Taggerty, Acheron, Snobs Creek and Eildon were also on alert.  Some fires would take weeks to contain, authorities said, and it could also take weeks to formally identify some of those killed.

Other teams were working to clear debris from towns gutted over the weekend to allow those lucky enough to escape a chance to return to their properties.

Among the survivors, families sat in dazed disbelief, surrounded by mattresses, dogs and whatever meagre possessions they managed to gather as they fled the fires.

Some talked of friends who had lost children, brothers and sisters, kids who have lost best friends and of a woman who has not seen her husband since Saturday.  They said they had no warning before daylight turned to night and their communities were enveloped in a wall of fire and smoke.

"We looked over and there was a wall of flames looking at us and everything went pitch black. There was no warning," Joanne Fisher of Kinglake said.  "I've never seen anything like it in my life ... You see this on TV, it doesn't happen to you."

Arson rumours

It was believed the fire in Bendigo was caused by a cigarette, but Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Christine Nixon said she was sickened by the fact some other fires might have been deliberately lit.

"It makes me very angry ... to then have someone who may have lit these fires.  Fires are so devastating.  The injuries we are seeing. We are talking about a massive death toll."

Police had designated affected areas as crime scenes.

A survivor told news.com.au that arsonists should hope the police caught them first.  "Watch your back, that's all I want to say to them.  Watch your back, 24/7."

Teams of disaster victim identification experts were flying in from all over Australia.  Extra fire crews were being sent from interstate.

Mr Kevin Rudd offered army troops to help firefighters control the fires.  He and state Premier John Brumby also opened up $10 million in emergency funding yesterday.

"This is of a level of horror that few of us anticipated," he said this morning.
Report Spam   Logged

Steve

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: