Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 05:05:09 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Michael Laws accused of 'bullying' pupils

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Michael Laws accused of 'bullying' pupils  (Read 2912 times)
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #125 on: October 24, 2009, 04:02:48 pm »

Yeh the scrap after the decision - either way is gonna be funny.

Ive always kinda been a fatalist when it comes to elections or this type of thing - passionate up to the minute and then c'est la vie
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Magoo
« Reply #126 on: October 24, 2009, 04:08:55 pm »

c'est la vie
For the best really because after all the world keeps turning. Grin
Report Spam   Logged
ballasted moth
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #127 on: October 24, 2009, 06:28:05 pm »

Dump DeBres
Report Spam   Logged

Greens are really RED
bennyboo
Bloody-Good Member

« Reply #128 on: October 24, 2009, 11:02:44 pm »

or does he think democracy begins and ends with him?

Errrr,
The people of Wanganui, who voted 80% to keep the name of their town the way it is, I think.........

This has been played out for at least a decade - me wonders whats happening on the other side of the stage as the Whanganui debate is wheeled into the limelight once again...

Its not that hard for the Geographic board either - the river has been named Whanganui for as long as maps have been printed.  No brainer.

Do the people of Wanganui think the correction of a spelling error that happened a long time ago means they are defeated at some battle?  Do Maori think if its changed to Whanganui they have witnessed a great victory?

Sad all round if you ask me.

Call it what you like - just make sure you include the post code - thats called freedom.
Report Spam   Logged
DidiMau69
Shit-Hot Member

On patrol Bien Hoa Province 1969

« Reply #129 on: October 25, 2009, 07:50:26 am »

There's a poll currently running on Yahoo News which shows that 78% of respondents are against the De Bres 'award'.

When the Race Relations Commissioner is so out of step with the feeling of the country and when he 'rewards' an action that is seen by a huge majority of people to be encouraging separatism, then it's time for him to go.
Report Spam   Logged

Walk softly and carry a big stick. - Theodore Roosevelt.
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #130 on: October 25, 2009, 08:57:07 am »

There's a poll currently running on Yahoo News which shows that 78% of respondents are against the De Bres 'award'.

When the Race Relations Commissioner is so out of step with the feeling of the country and when he 'rewards' an action that is seen by a huge majority of people to be encouraging separatism, then it's time for him to go.

currntly 78% NO

http://post.polls.yahoo.com/quiz/quizresults.php
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #131 on: October 25, 2009, 10:12:17 am »

There is a lot more behind all this that any of us know IMO.

If you listen to Laws, he, like many others think de Bres is an idiot.  And he will speak up about it in his own inimitable style.  I wonder if this 'award' has anything to do with the animosity between the two.

And then I also wonder what else happened behind the scenes over this.  What other correspondence between Laws and those involved?

I dont think its as black & white as it first may appear, which may be why the polls are the way they are.  Never forget how many people voted against the repeal of sec 59 - clearly they didnt have all the facts  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
DidiMau69
Shit-Hot Member

On patrol Bien Hoa Province 1969

« Reply #132 on: October 25, 2009, 06:06:13 pm »

There is a lot more behind all this that any of us know IMO.

I dont think its as black & white as it first may appear, which may be why the polls are the way they are.  Never forget how many people voted against the repeal of sec 59 - clearly they didnt have all the facts  Grin

OMG, there is a conspiracy afoot.

We don't have all the facts.

Well, why doesn't someone provide all the facts so that we can make an informed decision?

Report Spam   Logged

Walk softly and carry a big stick. - Theodore Roosevelt.
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #133 on: October 25, 2009, 07:00:02 pm »

Email Laws and ask his version, then email the school  Grin

I bet theres yet another story
Report Spam   Logged

bennyboo
Bloody-Good Member

« Reply #134 on: October 26, 2009, 12:41:29 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFq8Ok8nMpo&feature=player_embedded
Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #135 on: October 26, 2009, 07:59:30 am »

Wanganui Mayor Michael Laws is frothing at the mouth and says an award given to a group of Otaki primary school pupils for standing up to him is a joke.

Mr Laws today called for the sacking of Race Relations Commissioner Joris de Bres, calling him an "unelected, liberal stooge" and the award a joke.

"He has no interest in mediating between the races – he has every interest in advancing his politically correct and biased views."

Mr Laws cited polls conducted by the New Zealand Herald, YahooXtra and TV3, following his stoush with the students, in which he received the majority of public support

The group of school pupils have been honoured by Mr de Bres for acting with dignity in dealing with criticism from Mr Laws.

The pupils, aged 11 to 13, at Otaki School's kura kaupapa unit, were upset with an angry reply from Mr Laws, whom they wrote to in August urging him to insert the letter "h" in Wanganui.

Mr de Bres presented the girls with certificates yesterday to honour their stance.

"Your message to stand up for yourself is clear. You acted with real dignity and calm and quietly stood up for what you thought when dealing with such rubbish from Wanganui's mayor.

"There has been a huge response from around the country for what you did. I hope the minister in charge of this issue will decide to correct the spelling," Mr de Bres said.

He believed the way they had dealt with criticism was an example for everyone in New Zealand.

Ngarui Wihongi-Manukau, Rautini Thompson, Maria Logan-Richards, Amokura Rangiheueu, Teina Davis and Te Rangiamohia Nikora-Davis were disappointed Mr Laws had failed to respond to issues they had raised about the spelling of the town and asked him to apologise.

His reply had said: "There are so many deficiencies of both fact and logic in your letters I barely know where to start. When your class starts addressing the real issues of Maoridom – particularly the appalling rate of child abuse and child murder within Maori society, then I will take the rest of your views seriously."

"He sounded angry, it was like he was not listening to us because of things happening with our people," Maria said.

Mr Laws later asked the students to afternoon tea in his mayoral office saying, "If the impression was ... I was somehow 'bullying' in my reply, I want to assure you it was the last thing from my mind."

The girls declined the offer.

Although shy about receiving the honour, the girls said they were pleased they had stood up for themselves and would do so again.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/education/2996425/Students-award-a-joke-says-Laws
Report Spam   Logged

guest49
« Reply #136 on: October 26, 2009, 08:09:27 am »

I dunno whether Laws is starting to rise in my estimation, or whether its just that de Bres has sunk to a new low.
Report Spam   Logged
Magoo
« Reply #137 on: October 26, 2009, 08:56:37 am »

de Bres has sunk to a new low.
Plumbed new depths I think. Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
nitpicker1
XNC2 GOD

Nothing sexceeds like sexcess

« Reply #138 on: October 26, 2009, 09:25:33 am »

de Bres has sunk to a new low.
Plumbed new depths I think. Roll Eyes

Is de Bres debris?

think "pun", for those who have trouble with my soh
Report Spam   Logged

"Life might not be the party you were expecting, but you're here now, so you may as well get up and dance"
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #139 on: October 26, 2009, 11:27:49 am »

Joris de Bres

Race Relations Commissioner

Joris took up his appointment as Race Relations Commissioner in the Human Rights Commission in 2002, and was reappointed for a further five years in 2007. He was a community organiser, teacher and journalist before becoming a full-time trade union official in the New Zealand Public Service Association from 1977-86 in Auckland and 1986-92 in Wellington, where he headed the union's national industrial relations division. He then became the Department of Conservation's Public Awareness Manager and General Manager, External Relations from 1992 to 2002.

His main focus as Race Relations Commissioner has been to encourage central and local government, business and community organisations to develop their own diversity programmes and to come together in the New Zealand Diversity Action Programme. The Commission facilitates the Programme, including networks on interfaith, media, language and refugee issues, and an annual New Zealand Diversity Forum. Other initiatives have been the production of an annual report on race relations in New Zealand, the development of national statements on religious diversity, language policy and race relations, and monthly acknowledgments of individuals and organisations for positive contributions to race relations.

Joris is also a Trustee of Project Crimson, the pohutukawa and rata conservation trust, Vice-Chairperson of Oxfam New Zealand, and a member of the Advisory Board for the Victoria University Centre for Applied Cross-Cultural Research.

http://www.hrc.co.nz/home/hrc/humanrightsenvironment/aboutthehumanrightscommission/commissioners/jorisdebres.php

Report Spam   Logged
guest49
« Reply #140 on: October 26, 2009, 12:28:14 pm »

I tried looking up Victoria University Centre for Applied Cross-Cultural Research, but after 4 pages of university and government spin, gave up.  What does it actually achieve?
I guess belonging to a plethora of feelgood quangos doesnt make a wanker any less of a wanker though....

Report Spam   Logged
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #141 on: October 26, 2009, 01:12:54 pm »

I tried looking up Victoria University Centre for Applied Cross-Cultural Research, but after 4 pages of university and government spin, gave up.  What does it actually achieve?
I guess belonging to a plethora of feelgood quangos doesnt make a wanker any less of a wanker though....

I dont like 'organisations' that dont give some sort of a description of what they are there for - hunting their site - this is about all I can find

It is a practical programme designed to help international students adjust to a new culture and to fully participate in life at school or on the university campus.

This is part of the training program - but it seems to fit with the title of the organisation.  Just a place to do research on students handling cultural stuff  Cheesy

Racism or cross culturalism is a whole new service industry now, twould be easy to set up a company and move round the country tutoring businesses and groups on how to be verbally culturally positive
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: