Xtra News Community 2
March 30, 2024, 12:05:32 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Meanwhile, in Tararua Country....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Meanwhile, in Tararua Country....  (Read 14883 times)
Kiwithrottlejockey
« on: August 20, 2009, 07:24:27 pm »

Woodville in every direction

Next stop: Woodville — but which one do you want to visit?

The Manawatu Standard | 12 NOON - Thursday, 13 August 2009

EVERYWHERE YOU GO: Artist Nick White put the last panel on Woodville's global signpost on Wednesday. — JONATHAN CAMERON/Manawatu Standard.

EVERYWHERE YOU GO: Artist Nick White put the last
panel on Woodville's global signpost on Wednesday.
— JONATHAN CAMERON/Manawatu Standard.

Artist Nick White put the last panel on Woodville's global signpost yesterday.

There are 22 Woodvilles scattered around the globe, including in England, Ireland, the United States, Zimbabwe and Canada.

"Anyone using this as a navigation device could possibly run into some problems but because the Earth is round you'll probably end up getting there," Mr White said.

The Woodville World Wide project aims to create links between schools and towns sharing the name.

• Go to ThisIsWoodville.co.nz for more information.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/manawatu-standard/news/2747681/Woodville-in-every-direction
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 07:26:08 pm »

Tui's Nick Rogers: The ‘Yeah, right’ stuff

Tui is the most explosive brand in New Zealand beer. Nick Rogers is the man behind the marketing. He talks to about making over Mangatainoka, courting controversy and those famous billboards.

The Dominion Post | 5:00AM - Saturday, 15 August 2009

JOKER IN THE PACK: Nick Rogers at the Mangatainoka brewery. He had led the transformation of the site into a “boy's playground” that attracts 45,000 visitors a year. — ROBERT KITCHIN/The Dominion Post.

JOKER IN THE PACK: Nick Rogers at the Mangatainoka brewery. He had led the transformation of the site into
                 a “boy's playground” that attracts 45,000 visitors a year. — ROBERT KITCHIN/The Dominion Post.

The worst billboard story Nick Rogers can remember is the one that went, "Here, take the beach".

Actually, because it was a Tui billboard, it went, "Here, take the beach. Yeah, right."

The moment it went up, right in the heat of the foreshore and seabed debate, his phone started going. "I got called the most racist man in New Zealand," he says. "Our stance was that it's actually for everybody. I got 180 complaints on that in about 24 hours."

The best billboard story Nick Rogers can remember is the one that went, "I past NCEA Inglish".

It's his all-time favourite, without a doubt, but the phone call that followed it was just as good, he says.

"I had some guy ring me up and say, ‘Nick, you've spelt “past” wrong’. It should be p-a-s-s-e-d. And I was like, ‘Yeah, but that's not the only thing’."

Mr Rogers has plenty of contenders for either category. "Camilla for Queen" got him into trouble when Prince Charles showed up in town — and Tui pulled it while he was on a television camera saying the opposite.

Last year's "Let's take a moment this Christmas to think about Christ" was No 1 on the Advertising Standards Authority's most hated list, with 86 complaints. (Dominion Breweries withdrew the advert).

"We were actually poking fun at the fact that no one remembers the reason," Mr Rogers says. "But I didn't quite realise that there's so many PC people in this country and oh boy, did they get excited, real fast."

Even this week, drivers through Mangatainoka were greeted by a portable Tui billboard backing the Education Ministry's call for rural schools to be shut down — ironically, of course.

A Tui billboard.

So controversy is just part of the deal for Mr Rogers. PC people, people who give him grief, people like the newspaper columnists who wrote their own mock billboard ("Tui billboards are getting funnier — Yeah, right") ... they're all grist for the mill.

"The thing with Tui is that it's never deviated away from who it is," he says. "It's never sold itself out. You get criticised that they're worn out or tired. And we go, ‘No, we're just going to keep trucking, and we're going to put a f--ing pearler up there that will shut you up’."

Nick Rogers, 38, grew up in Havelock North.

He liked drinking beer from an early age, liked Tui too ("growing up in Hawke's Bay, you didn't have any other option"). It might have been part of the reason he wasn't a model student, he says.

"Took me six years to finish secondary school. Most people it takes five. I repeated my seventh form, so I can say I've had a longer education than most."

But he got through it anyway, ignored his Dad's advice to become a builder, and headed to Otago, where he briefly changed his beer preference, lived it up, and studied for five years.

His first job was at the old Government Printing Office, but it was too Gliding On for him, so he switched to DB and has never left.

He's been on the Tui brand since 2000, conjuring up marketing campaigns and new jokes.

"I don't know if Tui's me or I'm Tui," he says. "It seems to morph into one sometimes. Definitely my personality comes through in it quite strongly."

For the first half of the decade, he was based in Auckland, but when he had children, he wanted to get closer to home.

Now he lives in Masterton, and works two days a week in Auckland and three days at Mangatainoka, the brewery's ancestral Wairarapa home. Until earlier this year, he had to catch a train to Wellington whenever he wanted to fly north.

"The Air New Zealand link out of Masterton has been a godsend, it's saved my marriage," he says.

So Mr Rogers is a hybrid of city and country. He's a provincial boy who's spent most of his working life in the city. His workmates are Mangatainoka brewery workers, but he's a marketing guru ("My philosophy is that Tui, it's not just a beer, it's a way of life," he says at one point). He wears a shirt as open as any farmer's, but his jeans and tapering leather shoes are pure city.

In the end, he says, his outlook on life is pretty simple.

"There are three types of people in this world: people who make things happen, people who watch things happen, and people who don't even know it's happened. And you always put yourself in the former.

"There's so many people that just don't want to make a difference in this world. And that's one thing that I like, or am quite proud of, I actually enjoy making things happen."

Mangatainoka is very small. Apparently it produces more beer per capita than anywhere else in the world — but that's because only about 30 people live there, Mr Rogers says.

He's been trying to transform Tui's brewery at the site since he landed, but real progress has only come in the past two years, he says.

Where industrial buildings used to crowd the brewery's famous brick tower, making for a harsh welcome to visitors, Mr Rogers has cleared acres of green lawn and built a bar, cafe, function centre and museum on site.

"My philosophy was ‘boy's playground’. Because every male in New Zealand has heard of Tui brewery or seen it on TV. What other tourism location or destination in New Zealand has that sort of marketing clout behind it?"

He even sees the odd car stop and unload a gaggle of lads who worship the tower — in the vein of a late 90s TV commercial.

Despite all the blokiness, he's also keen to widen the brewery's appeal. He's visibly pleased when an elderly couple walk through the door and says the brewery has hosted a number of weddings.

"People go ‘weddings at a brewery?’ But if they can have weddings at a winery in Martinborough, why can't they have them here?"

So far it's working. Four years ago, the brewery saw about 7,000 visitors every year. Now the figure is 45,000. They're also making serious money out of every piece of merchandise from garden gnomes to duvet covers. (And that's not to mention the huge trade they're doing in pies, tomato sauce and other food products at supermarkets around the country).

What do the locals think of all the change?

TUI'S COMPANY: Neighbour Jack Smith, a former brewery worker, enjoys meeting all the visitors around the town. “If it shut down, it would be hellish,” he says. However, not all residents agree with him. — ROBERT KITCHIN/The Dominion Post.

TUI'S COMPANY: Neighbour Jack Smith, a former brewery worker, enjoys meeting all the visitors around the town.
                          “If it shut down, it would be hellish,” he says. However, not all residents agree with him.
                                                                  — ROBERT KITCHIN/The Dominion Post.

Across the road, Jack Smith, a 70-year-old who worked at the brewery for 31 years, says at first he wasn't sure about the new ideas, but now he's been won over.

He meets people from all around the world, jokes with the ones who can't speak English, and never has to leave his doorstep, he says.

"If it wasn't there, if it shut down, it would be hellish. I couldn't stand it."

But down the road at the Dudley Arms Tavern, owner Dave Wolland is less enamoured.

"Basically they've kicked us in the guts. They've gone out in opposition to us.

"They've brought a lot of people in, which is quite good, but they're a typical big company it's all for them and no one else."

Just more controversy, really, and Mr Rogers is used to dealing with it.

"Some people with the opportunity for tourism in the area haven't really realised it," he says about Mr Wolland's complaints.

But criticism can come from all sides. Aren't Tui's latest adverts, which are dominated by ridiculously beautiful women, pretty sexist?

"No, because we've never been degrading towards women. I don't believe we have," he says.

"I get really peeved off if they're referred to as Tui girls. They're not Tui girls, they're the Tui brewery girls. So they've actually got a reason for being."

After a horrific Invercargill car crash last month, the Dominion Post columnist Karl du Fresne wrote: "If I were on the board of Dominion Breweries, I don't think I'd feel comfortable about Tui's celebrated status among boy racers and binge drinkers."

Does Mr Rogers worry about marketing to destructive drinkers?

"It's called a freedom of choice. It's like people speeding in cars and blaming car companies," he says.

"It does hurt, I won't deny that. But we haven't forced anyone into any particular behaviour. I've got a conscience like everybody else, I suppose. I prefer to look at the positives that come out of it."

And those positives, he says, are simple.

"It's beer. It's not overly complicated. It's beer. It's great beer. And the thing about beer is that it denotes sociability, it denotes having fun with your mates. Because 95 per cent of the time when you drink beer, you're actually in a good space."

With the billboards and the ads, he says, Tui is usually just saying what everyone else wants to.

"Tui does have its fair share of complaints. We do create more publicity than any other beer brand. When the media reports come through, we're more than the whole liquor industry sometimes."

Even the billboard about rural schools is potentially out of order alcohol companies are not supposed to mention under-25s in their advertising.

Mr Rogers says cheekily that the school must have pinched the truck and done it themselves.

But it's easy enough to know which two words should come after that explanation.

A Tui billboard.

A Tui billboard.

A Tui billboard.

GETTING EVERYONE ON BOARD

• There are 53 billboard sites around the country.

• Half of them are on private property. Some owners, like one Taihape farmer, are paid with a pallet of beers (50 dozen) every year.

• About 4-6 new slogans are put up every month.

• Topical billboards are preferred — "Not Guilty" went up after Michael Jackson was acquitted in less than three hours.

• Local topics are another favourite — Tui has run into trouble for everything from insulting Masterton's mayor to slagging off New Zealand Rugby Union bosses in Christchurch.

• About half of the slogans now come from public suggestions. Again, their creators are paid in beer.

• The rest come from advertising agencies and Tui's marketing people. "Sometimes we just go and buy the papers and open page 3 and go ‘That's fundamentally wrong, let's pick on that’," Mr Rogers says.

• Wellington ad agencies still disagree about who came up with the campaign, which began in the mid 1990s, Mr Rogers says.

• Some parts of the country are still relatively new to the campaign — the first Tui billboard went up in Auckland in 2001, and the first South Island "Yeah, right" was put up in 2003.

THE MOST CONTROVERSIAL BILLBOARDS[/size]

• "I nvr txt whl drvn" — Taken down in May out of respect for a Horowhenua family whose two daughters died in a texting-related crash.

• "Let's take a moment this Christmas to think about Christ" — Withdrawn after protests from some churches. Last year's most complained-about ad.

• "When Winston says no, he means no" — Electoral Commission warned this could have breached the Electoral Finance Act

• "Camilla for Queen" — Taken down in 2005 on the eve of a visit from Prince Charles.

NICK ROGERS' TOP BILLBOARDS HE CREATED

• We didn't need Mehrts" — a Christchurch-specific creation after one of the rugby world cups.

• "Of course it's true I saw it on CNN"

• "It's not receding, I cut it that way"

NICK ROGERS' ‘BEST EVER’

• "I past NCEA Inglish"

• "No pressure Graham" — Before an All Blacks test

• "Really keen to see your mother again"

• "Let Paul fly us there" — After Paul Holmes crashed his plane.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/features/2754093/Tuis-Nick-Rogers-The-Yeah-right-stuff
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 04:03:07 pm »

I just heard on the radio that it's snowing at Woodville and also at Eketahuna and Mount Bruce.

I guess ImTooSexy will have a white lawn at the moment.

It's bloody freezing in Masterton.
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 04:51:02 pm »

Town set for opening of $4.5m centre

A makeover for Dannevirke

Manawatu Standard | 12 NOON - Tuesday, 29 September 2009

DANNEVIRKE

It's taken nine months longer than scheduled and cashed in at $4.5 million, but Dannevirke's new-look town centre is ready to roll.

Tararua District Council contractors have now cleared out of the town's main street, where they have been working on the major upgrade since September 2007.

In their place is a fully refurbished streetscape, complete with imported paving stones, architecturally-designed furniture, elegant balustrades and newly-planted trees.

It also boasts the underground infrastructure for super-fast broadband, and a new town clock, thanks to a $100,000 donation from lifetime Dannevirke resident Gwen Fairbrother.

But the project that took five years from concept to completion had its hairy moments, with work delayed due to weather, a major paving stone mix-up and other unexpected delays.

Some High Street retailers raised concerns during the work, claiming that access to shops had been blocked by contractors and business had suffered. Ratepayers from elsewhere in the district complained their towns were being neglected.

But Dannevirke Chamber of Commerce chairman and third-generation greengrocer Suresh Patel said the wait has been worth it.

"It's fantastic, absolutely fantastic. We are getting so many people just commenting on what a difference it's made in Dannevirke. Countless amounts of people travelling through town just can't believe it."

The feeling in town was positive, with many retailers doing last-minute renovations to their own stores in time for the grand opening this weekend, Mr Patel said.

"They're taking a bit of pride and fixing up their frontages as well — there's a lot of paint work going at the moment. The whole town is sprucing itself up. There's just a really good vibe."

Retailers hoped the new-look centre would entice travellers to stop in Dannevirke, which seemed to be happening already, he said.

A town celebration is planned for this Saturday, with the unveiling of the new town clock and blessing of a locally-carved statue of Papatuanuku at 12pm.

Clowns, dancers, bands, and spot prizes are among the activities, with special guest comedian Ginnette McDonald as Lyn of Tawa.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/manawatu-standard/news/2912157/Town-set-for-opening-of-4-5m-centre
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 02:09:20 pm »

Hurricanes to play Blues at Mangatainoka

Super 14 Rugby at the home of Yeah, Right!

By PETER LAMPP - Manawatu Standard | 12 NOON - Monday, 09 November 2009

The Hurricanes are to play the Blues at Mangatainoka on January 23.

Yeah right!

They are; it is fair dinkum and the Tui Brewery, of course, is behind it.

A Super 14 pre-season match is being organised for Pahiatua's tiddler satellite town. Mangatainoka has a pub, a brewery, a few houses, the Pahiatua Golf Club and not much else.

The Mangatainoka Rugby Club was formed in 1886 and has been in recess since 1986, but does have a ground on which livestock graze.

So when word came through of the proposed match, it was greeted with the same response as when reading the famous Tui billboards.

Manawatu Rugby Union chairman Tony Murphy knew nothing about it, even though Mangatainoka falls within Manawatu's sphere of influence. The Bush Rugby Club operates a few kilometres south in Pahiatua.

So a call was made yesterday to Hurricanes spokesman Sam Rossiter-Stead who confirmed it was more than a send-up.

"It's for real," he said. "Tui are one of our big sponsors and we are playing the Blues there.

"They are talking about thousands of tickets and bringing in stands, temporary seating. It should be a good game."

The Hurricanes are also likely to get involved in the community around the game, being held on Wellington Anniversary weekend. Tui helped raise $60,000 last year to restore the quaint grandstand which was built in 1907, holds about 122 people and has featured in many New Zealand pictorial books.

The property is owned by the Mangatainoka Domain Board and a rugby club reunion was held there in 2005.

Tui plans to sell 6500 seats for the grassroots rugby-style occasion.

Farmers and earthmovers are to level the field, which has good natural drainage, and will build temporary grandstands.

Such pre-season matches are usually held in small provincial venues like Gisborne, Levin and Wanganui.

This is the brainchild of Tui's commercial manager and Wairarapa resident, Nick Rogers.

"We have a fantastic relationship with the Hurricanes, both as a sponsor and partner, and they always want to get involved in the wider franchise community," he said.

"So we thought, why not do something a little different this year.

"Tui is bringing the big show to the small town," Rogers states.

"The ground is currently but a paddock next to a brewery but there is some serious work to be done.

"It's literally grassroots rugby. We're taking it right back to basics.

"Why are we doing this? I ask myself the same question every day but I know it will be rewarding."

He compared it with the population of Auckland going from 1 million people to 65 million for six hours.

Tui has teamed up with local businesses to get the event off the ground.

The match is expected to draw Hurricanes fans from Wairarapa-Bush, Manawatu and Hawke's Bay.

Tickets go on sale on Wednesday, November 11 from Tui Brewery or the Tui website (www.tui.co.nz) and PGG Wrightson stores in Hurricanes territory.

General admission tickets cost $25 with kids 10 and under free. Corporate tickets will be available for $100 for an event held on the back paddock. The event includes a guest speaker at 2pm and reserved stand seating.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/manawatu-standard/sport/rugby-union/3044016/Hurricanes-to-play-Blues-at-Mangatainoka

Mangatainoka

Mangatainoka builds for its big day in the sun

GOOD SPORTS

By PETER LAMPP, DANIEL RICHARDSON and RON GURNEY - Manawatu Standard | 12 NOON - Monday, 09 November 2009

Have you heard the Tui one about how more than 6500 rugby fans are expected when the Hurricanes play a Super 14 warm-up match at Mangatainoka Domain in mid-summer in January?

Do not scoff. In sporting terms, Mangatainoka is best known for New Zealand cricketer Mike Mason; until this. Tui Brewery intends spending thousands on the January 23 event.

Community groups will run the food stalls, the bar and clean up as fundraisers, and the army will provide security. Bands will play, the Tui Brewery girls will be there, guest speakers, temporary grandstands...

Tickets will be limited as there's room for only so many stands.

(See the above story for more information about the upcoming match).

http://www.stuff.co.nz/manawatu-standard/sport/lampps-sports-comments/3044125/Mangatainoka-builds-for-its-big-day-in-the-sun
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 04:52:03 pm »

Hurricanes in his backyard

By KATIE FARMAN - Wairarapa News | 10:54AM - Thursday, 03 December 2009

EAGERLY WAITING: Mangatainoka farmer and rugby fan Neil Symonds is thrilled to be hosting next January's Super 14 pre-season game between the Hurricanes and the Blues on his farm.

EAGERLY WAITING: Mangatainoka farmer and rugby fan Neil Symonds
is thrilled to be hosting next January's Super 14 pre-season
game between the Hurricanes and the Blues on his farm.

Neil Symonds can't believe his luck. The rugby mad Mangatainoka farmer, who has spent the best part of 12 years traveling all around the countryside with his mates to support the Hurricanes, will only have to venture as far as his backyard next year to watch the Hurricanes take on the Auckland Blues in a Rebel Sport Super 14 pre-season game.

Symonds, or Skin as he is widely known as, owns the farm on which the Mangatainoka Rugby Football Club grounds are located. For the last few weeks the 63-year-old has been busy preparing the ground for the game on January 23, which is expected to draw crowds from all over the lower North Island.

"We've been busy transforming the paddock into a field that even those Jaffa's would be proud of," says Symonds. "We've run a seven ton roller over the ground every week so it's smooth enough to play bowls on. We've put the posts up and painted them, and now are getting ready to erect the grandstands."

The 2010 Super 14 pre-season opener is the brainchild of Tui Brewery commercial manager and Wairarapa resident Nick Rogers. He said to date 3000 of the available 6500 seated-tickets have been sold and he was confident the rest would sell before kick off, especially because the afternoon game is being billed as a festival of sport with pre match and post match entertainment.

"This is the sort of rugby the New Zealand public is seeking — they want to come for the love of their game, their team and in their area," he said. "We've a fantastic relationship with the Hurricanes, both as a sponsor and partner, and they always want to get involved in the wider franchise community. So we thought why not bring the big show to the small town. We want to show how Mangatainoka, a small town community, can bring rugby to life."

Over 125 tons of scaffolding has been ordered to build enough stands for every ticket holder with the biggest stand having capacity for 3500 punters. Rogers says the community is rallying behind the event with several businesses offering to help out including Higgins, Fitzgerald Transport and the local fire brigade among many. He also praises Symonds who is going above and beyond the call of duty to prepare the grounds.

"Skin's passion for the game is phenomenal and just brilliant to see," says Rogers. "And I think there is a little bit of ‘Skin’ in every rugby supporter in NZ and that is what is sad  — I don't think the some of the NZRFU really understand the real level of support the game has in provincial New Zealand."

Symonds, one of 11 children, was born and raised in the small northern Wairarapa town where as a kid he played halfback for the Mangatainoka RFC. However years later he was forced to withdraw from the sport with eye problems and ever since has taken a key supporters role. As a 12-year season ticket holder for the Hurricanes he is used to traveling two hours each way to attend almost all of their matches at the Cake Tin and along the way meet up with his reliable band of "farmer mates" from Eketahuna, Carterton and Bulls. He also sat next to BJ Williams in the stand at Cardiff when the All Blacks were beaten by France in the quarter finals of the 2007 World Cup.

"Look I just love rugby and I've supported the Hurricanes from day one," he says. "My most memorable game was trying to watch them play the good old Crusaders that night in the fog in Christchurch ... what an extraordinary sight."

In recent months with much sideline comment focusing on the New Zealand Rugby Union's possible decision to cull the number of teams competing in the National Provincial Cup, he hopes the game in Mangatainoka will help bring about a groundswell of grassroots support.

"Rugby's been king in my lifetime and I really want it to stay that way," he says. "We need to bring it back to grassroots again and I really hope this game will help provide that catalyst and bring a whole heap of positive spin-offs."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/local/wairarapa-news/3122513/Hurricanes-in-his-backyard

I wonder if Im2Sexy4MyPants is planing to be at the game to perve at the Tui girls?  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 07:36:58 pm »

Mangatainoka Hurricanes game sells out

By DANIEL RICHARDSON - Manawatu Standard | 12 NOON - Thursday, 14 January 2009

GETTING READY: Mangatainoka's Neil Symonds, left, and Tui marketing manager Nick Rogers on the seating looking out at the field that will host the Super 14 pre-season match between the Hurricanes and the Blues. More than 7500 people are set to attend the sold-out game. — MURRAY WILSON/Manawatu Standard. LET THE BUILDING BEGIN: Construction is under way to have a Mangatainoka paddock ready to host a pre-season Super 14 game next weekend. — MURRAY WILSON/Manawatu Standard.

GETTING READY: Mangatainoka's Neil Symonds, left, and Tui marketing manager Nick Rogers on
the seating looking out at the field that will host the Super 14 pre-season match between the
Hurricanes and the Blues. More than 7500 people are set to attend the sold-out game (left).

LET THE BUILDING BEGIN: Construction is under way to have a Mangatainoka paddock ready
to host a pre-season Super 14 game next weekend (right).

— MURRAY WILSON/Manawatu Standard.

If you were planning on going to the Hurricanes pre-season match against the Blues in Mangatainoka next weekend, you're out of luck.

Last night all 7690 tickets to the game, which is to be played on Neil Symonds' farm on Saturday, January 23, had sold out, nine days before the game.

The attendance figure could climb to more than 8000 because children under 10 can enter free with a paying adult.

The temporary scaffolding, more than 125 tonnes of it, was being set up this week and will seat the spectators who will witness a truly grassroots event.

Tui marketing manager Nick Rogers said it was a unique opportunity to see such a game in the Tararua village.

"It's not a huge commercial venture. Those that come, we want them to have a special time and have a story to tell," he said.

"You will not get more grassroots than in little old Mangatainoka and I think that's what the New Zealand public has been pining for a little bit."

The cost of the scaffolding was more than $100,000 and while Tui won't turn a huge profit, it won't lose money on the venture.

Having the match in Mangatainoka was a plan cooked up over a few Tuis at their forceback competition they used to run, three years ago.

It was pitched to the Hurricanes management who never threw the idea off the table.

With the help of Symonds lending his land and all parties coming together, it got off the ground.

Schools, kindergartens and community groups from around Southern Hawke's Bay, Bush, Wairarapa and Manawatu were getting on board, from running food stands to manning the bar.

Logistically it has been an exhaustive exercise bringing in toilet and shower blocks, the seating and arranging parking. "We've got ourselves a mini-Cake Tin," Symonds, a Hurricanes season ticketholder for the past 12 years, said. "We're not going too far away from the grassroots rugby."

The Hurricanes will use the toilets and showers in the old Mangatainoka Rugby Football Club stand, which was restored three years ago.

While the club, formed in 1886, has been in recess since 1986, Symonds said it was important for the community to have the stand, because it was iconic.

Punters won't be sitting in the old stand for the game next weekend because it will be obstructed by the temporary seating, but you would rather be closer to the action.

"What other grounds in the country are that close to a tryline?" Rogers asked. "It's just going to look magic."

With the population of Mangatainoka between 200 to 300, having close to 8000 people in the area at once would be like Auckland's population swelling to 64 million.

Rogers said the event was a special moment in his career. "What chance do you ever get to say, ‘I organised a Super 14 game in a paddock’?"

On the day there is a curtainraiser between Tui Invitation XV and a Mangatainoka RFC Invitation XV featuring Manawatu legends and up-and-comers. Fans will be entertained throughout the day by bands and on-field events.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/manawatu-standard/sport/rugby-union/3229247/Mangatainoka-Hurricanes-game-sells-out
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 10:39:17 am »

It'll be yeah, right on Saturday night

By MICHAEL FORBES - The Dominion Post | 5:00AM - Wednesday, 20 January 2010

TOP TOWN: Around 8000 rugby fans will be rolling in to Mangatainoka for the Super 14 preseason match between the Hurricanes and the Blues. — ROBERT KITCHIN/The Dominion Post.
TOP TOWN: Around 8000 rugby fans will be rolling in to Mangatainoka for the Super 14 preseason match between
the Hurricanes and the Blues. — ROBERT KITCHIN/The Dominion Post.

WORLD FAMOUS IN NZ: The Tui Brewery in the sleepy Tararua town of Mangatainoka, which will host a preseason Super 14 match on Saturday. — ROBERT KITCHIN/The Dominion Post.
WORLD FAMOUS IN NZ: The Tui Brewery in the sleepy Tararua town of Mangatainoka, which will host a preseason
Super 14 match on Saturday. — ROBERT KITCHIN/The Dominion Post.

If the advertising moguls are to be believed, then Mangatainoka is little more than pristine countryside where only the most attractive women frolic, brew beer and bathe themselves in the river.

Believe what you will, but on Saturday that image is under threat from the beer guts and bald heads who will likely be among the 8000 rugby fans rolling into town for a Super 14 preseason match between the Hurricanes and Blues.

It is the first time the Hurricanes have sold out a preseason match, it will be their largest preseason crowd and, as Tui marketing manager Nick Rogers puts it: "Those going to the game won't know what's hit them." And he is probably right.

The home of Mangatainoka RFC, which only two months ago was home to 30 sheep, has been transformed by 160 tonnes of scaffolding into a mini stadium.

"We had so many people ringing up about their tickets, thinking it was another ‘Yeah Right’ joke," Mr Rogers said. "They read the word `Stand' on their ticket and figured it meant they would have to stand on the sideline."

But after two weeks of bolting metal poles together, Mr Rogers and his team have created more than just a place to watch a ball being kicked around.

UP THEY GO: Scaffolders Cliff Small and Robbie Waru erect the giant stands. — ROBERT KITCHIN/The Dominion Post.
UP THEY GO: Scaffolders Cliff Small and Robbie Waru erect the giant stands. — ROBERT KITCHIN/The Dominion Post.

LOOKS GOOD UP HERE: Neil “Skins” Symonds, one of the organisers, on the stands. — ROBERT KITCHIN/The Dominion Post.
LOOKS GOOD UP HERE: Neil “Skins” Symonds, one of the organisers, on the stands. — ROBERT KITCHIN/The Dominion Post.

HOPING TO BE NOTICED: Scaffolder David Anderson, from Wellington, takes a break from work to kick a ball around. — ROBERT KITCHIN/The Dominion Post.
HOPING TO BE NOTICED: Scaffolder David Anderson, from Wellington, takes a break from work to kick a ball around.
 — ROBERT KITCHIN/The Dominion Post.

Picture the 20-metre bar, food and concession stands, corporate tents, bouncy castle and the odd sausage sizzle and you get the feeling this match will have a feel-good atmosphere of rugby days past.

But 8000 people into a town of just 200 does not go, and Mr Rogers is unsure how crowds will disperse after the match.

But with a police booze bus at both ends of the town, the main road closed to regular traffic, a "hefty" police presence and 50 soldiers from Linton on security, Mr Rogers was confident the event would be trouble-free.

The locals share his confidence.

Kathy Howland, who runs the "Tui View" bed and breakfast, said all the lodging in Mangatainoka was gone three months ago when a couple paid $45 for her only room.

With nowhere else to stay in town, some might camp by the river and some might sleep in cars but everyone would find a place to go, she said.

"We had the ‘Small Town, Big Sounds Festival’ [in February] last year, which attracted about 3000 people and they all jumped on buses and got where they needed to go."

Publican Vicki Wolland said the Dudley Arms Tavern had ordered 25 kegs of beer for Saturday night.

There would even be cold Speights on tap for the Blues, she said, who will no doubt need one after spending the afternoon surrounded by 40,000 Tui bottles that they are not allowed to drink.

BIG GAME, BIG NUMBERS

• 40,000 bottles of Tui beer will be on site to keep punters happy.

• 8000 people are expected to attend.

• 600 people is the maximum the Dudley Arms Tavern (Mangatainoka's only pub) can hold afterwards.

• 450 bags of ice have been sourced for drinks and the players' ice baths (hopefully they don't get mixed up).

• 160 tonnes of scaffolding have gone into construction.

• 100 dollars for a corporate ticket.

• 50 soldiers from Linton Army Base will act as security.

• 36 toilets will be on site.

• 30 sheep used to live in the paddock, which is now a rugby stadium.

• 25 dollars for a regular ticket.

• 18 food and concession stands.

• 15 Tui girls will keep up appearances.

• 12 ball boys will patrol the paddocks adjoining the ground.

• 3 All Black legends (Colin Meads, Brian Lochore and Ian Kirkpatrick) will be there.

• 2 police checkpoints will be at opposite ends of the town.

• 1 eftpos machine will service the entire ground.

• 0 Super 14 games have ever been played in Mangatainoka.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/national/3243255/It-ll-be-yeah-right-on-Saturday-night

Small town pulls together for a Super time

By KATIE FARMAN - Wairarapa News | 12:41PM - Wednesday, 20 January 2010

PADDOCK TO SPORTS FIELD: Nick Rogers at the Mangatainoka Rugby ground, dubbed the Biscuit Tin. Scaffolding to accommodate up to 8000 spectators has been erected for the Hurricanes' 2010 pre-season opener on Saturday.
PADDOCK TO SPORTS FIELD: Nick Rogers at the
Mangatainoka Rugby ground, dubbed the Biscuit Tin.
Scaffolding to accommodate up to 8000 spectators
has been erected for the Hurricanes' 2010
pre-season opener on Saturday.

The scaffolding is up, the field is in great condition and the tickets are sold.

Now all the people of Mangatainoka can do is wait for the more than 8000 people expected to attend Saturday's Super 14 pre-season clash between the Hurricanes and the Blues to turn up.

The game, which sold out last Wednesday, is tipped to go down in grass roots rugby folklore. Not only because it's being played on Neil Symonds' farm located next to Tui Brewery, but because it is bringing big-time rugby back to the small town. More than 125 tonnes of temporary scaffolding has been set up to accommodate all 7690 ticket holders, However, because children under 10 can enter free with a paying adult, attendance figures are predicted to climb to more than 8000.

Hurricanes chief executive officer Greg Peters couldn't think of a better way for his team to start the new season.

"This is a fantastic way to kick off the 2010 Hurricanes season and we're thrilled with the level of support we have received for this historic fixture," he said.

"The team at Tui Brewery and the local Mangatainoka community have worked extremely hard to turn this vision into reality. I know how much the players are looking forward to the game and they will be very keen to put on a real show in front of our first ever full house for a pre-season match."

The pre-season opener is the brainchild of Tui Brewery commercial manager and Wairarapa resident Nick Rogers who is determined to help bring about a groundswell of grassroots support. He said rugby greats Sir Brian Lochore and Colin "Pinetree" Meads as well as rugby commentator Keith Quinn have been invited to speak to 1000 corporate ticket holders. Meads was also expected to kick-off the curtain raiser between a Tui Invitational XV and a Mangatainoka RFC Invitation XV, with Sir Brian tipped to be named as No 8.

In addition there will be a helicopter drop, an air show, Tui Brewery girls, plus many more surprises and entertainment.

"This is all about bringing the big show to the small town!" Mr Rogers said.

"The ground was a paddock, now it's smooth enough for those Aucklanders to play bowls on and that's what is so beautiful about the event  it's back to basics and bringing the professionals to grass roots." Mr Rogers said the game was a great sponsorship initiative between the two partners  Hurricanes and Tui while PGG Wrightson and Silver Fern Farms had also helped support the event to give it a truly grass roots flavour.

In addition 17 community groups will be pitching in for their annual fundraiser  cooking all the food, parking cars and operating the bars.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/local/wairarapa-news/3245538/Small-town-pulls-together-for-a-Super-time
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 11:32:42 am »

Hurricanes keen to hit the paddock

By DANIEL RICHARDSON - Manawatu Standard | 12 NOON - Friday, 22 January 2010

Go the “Canes”.

Nick Crosswell never imagined he'd pull on a Hurricanes jersey to go and play a game on a farm in Mangatainoka.

The 1.95-metre Manawatu loose forward will do that tomorrow, in the first Super 14 pre-season game against the Blues on Neil Symonds' farm.

Crosswell, 23, said he was looking forward to playing after a busy training regime.

"We've done quite a bit of training, and it'll just be good to get out there and try a few things," he said yesterday.

"I never thought I'd pull on any sort of jersey out there [Mangatainoka], so to put on a Hurricanes jersey over there is a pretty good occasion."

Crosswell will come off the bench tomorrow and will cover lock, openside and No.8 after spending most of his time for the Turbos as a blindside flanker.

"I've played a lot of six, so to play the other positions will be good."

He said the team were excited about playing at Mangatainoka because the match had a novelty factor to it.

It'll be the third time he has played for the Hurricanes, after turning out in two pre-season games last year. He has never played a competition match.

Crosswell, who went to Feilding High School, said plenty of family and friends would be watching tomorrow's game.

"There's been a lot of texts come my way the last few days."

The Blues have named 28 players and the Hurricanes will suit up 23 for tomorrow's 3pm clash, which will be played in quarters and will see lots of substitutions, plenty of points, and buckets of sweat if the weather is hot.

Manawatu first five-eighth Aaron Cruden will miss the game after a training accident, when he was poked in the eye. He hopes to be fit to meet the Brumbies in Porirua next weekend. Taranaki's Willie Ripia will start at pivot.

Manawatu's Johnny Leota will start in the midfield alongside Southlander Jason Kawau.

Joe Rokocoko will captain the Blues, with regular skipper Keven Mealamu out with injury.

Tui marketing manager Nick Rogers said Mangatainoka was ready to host its biggest sporting event.

"I think the weather's all booked in, the scaffolding's finished today, the beer's in the chiller and the tents are all up," he said yesterday.

There were no last-minute thoughts of adding extra seating to bump up the crowd.

"I'd just be asking for trouble," he said.

The game kicks off at 3pm after a curtain-raiser at 1pm between a Tui Invitation XV and a Mangatainoka RFC XV featuring some Manawatu rugby personalities, including Turbos coaches Bruce Hemara and Dave Rennie. Sir Colin Meads, Sir Brian Lochore and rugby commentator Keith Quinn will be in attendance.

• Blues: Paul Williams, Joe Rokocoko (captain), George Pisi, Benson Stanley, Rudi Wulf, Stephen Brett, Alby Mathewson, Viliame Ma'afu, Serge Lilo, Peter Saili, Andre van der Heijden, Filo Paulo, Charlie Faumuina, Tom McCartney, Tevita Mailau. Reserves: Ash Dixon, Pauliasi Manu, Michael Reid, Liaki Moli, Anthony Boric, Onosa'i Auva'a, Tom Chamberlain, Jerome Kaino, Chris Smylie, Michael Harris, Dan Kirkpatrick, Lachie Munro, Rene Ranger.

• Hurricanes: Andre Taylor, Alapati Leiua, Jason Kawau, Johnny Leota, Hosea Gear, Willie Ripia, Piri Weepu, Victor Vito, Scott Waldrom, James Broadhurst, Api Naikatini, Anthony Perenise, Ged Robinson, John Schwalger. Reserves: Tyson Keats, David Smith, Charlie Ngatai, Nick Crosswell, Daniel Ramsay, Jacob Ellison, Chris Eaton, Michael Bent.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/manawatu-standard/sport/3253123/Hurricanes-keen-to-hit-the-paddock
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 06:47:16 pm »

Blues defeat Hurricanes in Mangatanioka rain

NZPA | 6:01PM - Saturday, 23 January 2010

OVER THE LINE: Blues halfback Taniela Moa clinches his fist after scoring the winning try in his side's 19-17 Super 14 pre-season win over the Hurricanes in Mangatanioka.

OVER THE LINE: Blues halfback Taniela Moa clinches his fist after scoring the winning
try in his side's 19-17 Super 14 pre-season win over the Hurricanes in Mangatanioka.

Poor weather and the boot of Daniel Kirkpatrick dampened the occasion for Hurricanes fans in Mangatainoka today as the Blues won a pre-season Super 14 rugby match 19-17.

Both sides scored three tries in a spectacle marred by rain and cold conditions but two conversions to former Wellington first five-eighth Kirkpatrick proved the difference after the score was locked 5-5 at halftime.

The match was an 8000-seat sellout on a farm in the small Wairarapa community which is made famous by the presence of popular beer brewery.

The players struggled to respond in kind because of the conditions although the game opened up in the dying stages when the sun poked through.

Blues winger Rene Ranger was a standout performer, always looking threatening and crossing for two tries. Their other try went to halfback Taniela Moa.

The Hurricanes scored through prop Anthony Perenise, halfback Chris Eaton and centre Charlie Ngatai while first five-eighth Willie Ripia landed one conversion.

There were no apparent major injuries in a game in which players came and went off the reserve bench.

In Mangatainoka....

• Blues: 19 — Rene Ranger 2 tries, Taniela Moa try; Daniel Kirkpatrick 2 conversions.

• Hurricanes: 17 — Anthony Perenise, Chris Eaton, Charlie Ngatai tries; Willie Ripia conversion.

• Halftime: 5-5.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-14/3256922/Blues-defeat-Hurricanes-in-Mangatanioka-rain
Report Spam   Logged

dragontamer
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 09:14:08 pm »

My cousin managed to get 'corporate box seats', though what that meant is anybody's guess.

Mr DT dropped his bottom lip.  Thought corporate box seats were wasted on a g.i.r.l.
Report Spam   Logged
chevy

Chevy from the Levy

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 06:00:37 pm »

hey im part of the Tararua scene too. where i sit by my Computer I look straight out my window and see Mount Holdsworth& Dundas from Levin as we back right on to the other side of the Tararua's.
born and raised under these mighty Mountains and proud of it  Cool
Report Spam   Logged

bye bye American Pie
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 07:05:51 pm »

Wet, wild and muddy kickoff to season

By TOBY ROBSON - The Dominion Post | 5:00AM - Monday, 25 January 2010

DIRTY FUN: Mud wrestlers at the Blues v Hurricanes pre-season Super 14 rugby match in Mangatainoka. MUD, GLORIOUS MUD: Tui girls pose in the mud before the pre-season Super 14 match between the Blues and Hurricanes in Mangatainoka.

DIRTY FUN: Mud wrestlers at the Blues v Hurricanes pre-season Super 14 rugby match in Mangatainoka (left).

MUD, GLORIOUS MUD: Tui girls pose in the mud before the pre-season Super 14 match between the Blues and Hurricanes in Mangatainoka (right).

The naked truth about the security at Mangatainoka's Super 14 match was revealed in stark fashion as a string of streakers joined in the mud bath.

Tie in impromptu mud-wrestling, Tui Girls in bare feet, driving rain and a call from the band to drink every last drop of the sponsor's product before leaving, and the 8000-strong crowd that attended Saturday's unique rugby experience left with the feeling they had been part of something special.

The pre-season match in northern Wairarapa was more reminiscent of Glastonbury music festival than a footy match, as half-naked drunken men stumbled happily in the mud, music blaring in the background.

The sponsor's product and a sea of umbrellas ensured that even driving rain and a perfectly timed southerly did not dampen spirits.

City slickers realised the worth of a good pair of gummies but the Tui Girls, of which there were many, were happy to go barefoot.

In between times a rugby match broke out, after Sir Brian Lochore followed up a bagpipe national anthem with a short punt to the Blues that turned out to be the actual kickoff.

In the next 90 minutes four male streakers strutted their stuff, one managing to bind on to a Hurricanes ruck before being carted away by security.

The podgiest of the naturalists was able to squeeze in press-ups, dance moves, a mock try and a grotesque liaison with a goalpost.

He was left to his own devices for so long he ran out of antics, while play continued at the other end of the field. Eventually a stream of fluorescent vests dawdled in and the exhausted exhibitionist gave himself up.

None of the streakers were arrested, but all were banned from the ground and received a warning.

The Hurricanes shook off the distractions to play a decent game of rugby, despite losing 19-17, and then stayed for an hour signing autographs and posing for photos in the drizzle.

Hurricanes flanker Scott Waldrom loved every minute, but admitted the facilities under Mangatainoka RFC's tiny grandstand weren't quite as good as those at Westpac Stadium.

"We waded about 200 metres through the mud to get to the changing rooms and there was no toilet, so we were hunting around the paddock at the back where they'd put one toilet in an old cowshed."

Waldrom said the players had been blown away to find such a big crowd — courtesy of a makeshift scaffold stadium — in the middle of nowhere. "I don't think we were expecting the scaffolding to be as high as it was and when everyone was packed in around you it was bloody impressive."

The Blues players got a shock, too, and made an amusing sight as they tiptoed daintily from the team bus to their dressing tent (yes, tent) in a futile effort to keep their glistening white trainers clean.

"Go the Blues!" yelled one of the witty locals. "Yeah right!" chimed in his mates.

Hurricanes coach Colin Cooper said he would love to see more pre-season games in the provinces. "Everyone wins. It gave a lot more hype to the game and it gave an opportunity to advertise for the sponsors. It's different, but it's good."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/national/3257996/Wet-wild-and-muddy-kickoff-to-season

CHEEKY: A streaker waves to the crowd at the Blues v Hurricanes pre-season Super 14 game in Mangatainoka.
CHEEKY: A streaker waves to the crowd at the Blues v Hurricanes pre-season Super 14 game in Mangatainoka.

IMPROMPTU HAKA: Fans perform a haka at the Blues v Hurricanes pre-season Super 14 game in Mangatainoka.
IMPROMPTU HAKA: Fans perform a haka at the Blues v Hurricanes pre-season Super 14 game in Mangatainoka.

POLICE ESCORT: A streaker is led away by police after being followed an exhibition during the Blues v Hurricanes pre-season Super 14 game.
POLICE ESCORT: A streaker is led away by police after being followed an exhibition during the Blues v Hurricanes
pre-season Super 14 game.

FANTASTIC PLASTIC: Fans shelter from the rain at the Blues v Hurricanes pre-season Super 14 game in Mangatainoka.
FANTASTIC PLASTIC: Fans shelter from the rain at the Blues v Hurricanes pre-season Super 14 game in Mangatainoka.

THE NAKED TRUTH: A streaker dives across the tryline in Mangatainoka during the Blues v Hurricanes pre-season Super 14 game.
THE NAKED TRUTH: A streaker dives across the tryline in Mangatainoka during the Blues v Hurricanes
pre-season Super 14 game.

HAVING A BALL: Spectators in a playful wrestle for a ball in the dead-ball area before the Blues v Hurricanes pre-season Super 14 game in Mangatainoka.
HAVING A BALL: Spectators in a playful wrestle for a ball in the dead-ball area before the Blues v Hurricanes
pre-season Super 14 game in Mangatainoka.

THE NAKED TRUTH: A streaker bursts across the field at Mangatainoka during the Blues v Hurricanes pre-season Super 14 game.
THE NAKED TRUTH: A streaker bursts across the field at Mangatainoka during the
Blues v Hurricanes pre-season Super 14 game.

SOLD OUT: An aerial shot of the specially made stadium on Neil Symonds farm in Mangatainoka for the Blues v Hurricanes Super 14 pre-season match.
SOLD OUT: An aerial shot of the specially made stadium on Neil Symonds farm in Mangatainoka for the
Blues v Hurricanes Super 14 pre-season match.

MATCH WINNER: Blues halfbck Taniela Moa clenches his fist after scoring the winning try against the Hurricanes in a pre-season Super 14 match in Mangatainoka.
MATCH WINNER: Blues halfbck Taniela Moa clenches his fist after scoring the winning try against the Hurricanes
in a pre-season Super 14 match in Mangatainoka.

ROCKETMAN FLIES: Blues captain Joe Rokocoko (right) goes flying in a tackle in the Blues v Hurricanes pre-season Super 14 match in Mangatainoka.
ROCKETMAN FLIES: Blues captain Joe Rokocoko (right) goes flying in a tackle in the Blues v Hurricanes
pre-season Super 14 match in Mangatainoka.

SIDELINE: Hurricanes All Blacks Cory Jane, Ma'a Nonu and Tamati Ellison watch the Blues v Hurricanes pre-season Super 14 match in Mangatainoka.
SIDELINE: Hurricanes All Blacks Cory Jane, Ma'a Nonu and Tamati Ellison watch the Blues v Hurricanes
pre-season Super 14 match in Mangatainoka.

IN THE STAND: NZRU chief executive Steve Tew sits alongside Hurricanes number eight Rodney So'oialo, at the Blues v Hurricanes pre-season Super 14 rugby match in Mangatainoka.
IN THE STAND: NZRU chief executive Steve Tew sits alongside Hurricanes number eight Rodney So'oialo,
 at the Blues v Hurricanes pre-season Super 14 rugby match in Mangatainoka.

MAKING A STATEMENT: Fans with a Tui billboard mock-up at the Blues v Hurricanes pre-season Super 14 rugby match in Mangatainoka.
MAKING A STATEMENT: Fans with a Tui billboard mock-up at the Blues v Hurricanes pre-season
Super 14 rugby match in Mangatainoka.

WET ONE: Raincoats were the order of the day as spectators watch Blues halfback Alby Mathewson run from the base of a ruck during the Blues v Hurricanes pre-season Super 14 rugby match in Mangatainoka.
WET ONE: Raincoats were the order of the day as spectators watch Blues halfback Alby Mathewson run from
the base of a ruck during the Blues v Hurricanes pre-season Super 14 rugby match in Mangatainoka.

CUTTING LOOSE: Hurricanes winger David Smith is in the clear during the Blues v Hurricanes pre-season Super 14 rugby match in Mangatainoka.
CUTTING LOOSE: Hurricanes winger David Smith is in the clear during the Blues v Hurricanes pre-season

RUDI RUNS: Blues fullback Rudi Wulf breaks a tackle during the Blues v Hurricanes pre-season Super 14 rugby match in Mangatainoka.
RUDI RUNS: Blues fullback Rudi Wulf breaks a tackle during the Blues v Hurricanes pre-season

Fans pack out Mangatainoka

By DANIEL RICHARDSON - Manawatu Standard | 12 NOON - Monday, 25 January 2010

BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME: An aerial shot of the specially made stadium on Neil Symonds' farm in Mangatainoka. UP IN THE AIR: Hurricanes and Blues players contest a lineout during their Super 14 pre-season game in Mangatainoka on Saturday. — JONATHAN CAMERON/Manawatu Standard.

BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME: An aerial shot of the specially made stadium on
Neil Symonds' farm in Mangatainoka (right).

UP IN THE AIR: Hurricanes and Blues players contest a lineout during their Super 14 pre-season
game in Mangatainoka on Saturday (left). — JONATHAN CAMERON/Manawatu Standard.

Mangatainoka could be a regular pre-season Super 14 venue following the success of Saturday's match between the Hurricanes and the Blues.

Just under 10,000 flocked to Neil Symonds' farm despite the abysmal weather to watch professional rugby played at a grassroots venue.

Tui marketing manager Nick Rogers, who masterminded the game, said the event went well, but was a huge undertaking.

"Event management is not easy, but it was golden," he said yesterday. "Everyone was so hyped up. The locals today are just absolutely abuzz."

Persistent rain didn't put off the punters who turned up in droves to watch the match, won by the Blues 19-17.

"I think the weather made the day. It showed that there are no fairweather supporters in the provinces. New Zealand people want to come out rain or shine," Mr Rogers said.

Fans were treated to Sir Brian Lochore kicking the game off, following a national anthem that was done "Toki style" with the tune played on the bagpipes.

Umbrellas, hats and coats were a must in the first half as fans battled the elements to watch players who rarely take the field outside of the main centres.

Hurricanes coach Colin Cooper said he was keen to see another game in Mangatainoka.

"It was good. I think professional rugby needs to come back to grassroots and engage back with the fans and there was a bit of that going on today so it's good to be here," he said.

"It's just got to fit with next year. It's going to expand again with the Super 15."

Following the match, fans were allowed on the ground to get autographs, high fives and photos with their heroes, who were happy to scribble their name or pose to put a smile on kids' faces.

Blues coach Pat Lam admitted he had to take a quick geography lesson to find out where Mangatainoka was.

"At first I was like ‘where's that?’ But I just think it's fantastic to come down here. The people have just been awesome."

Mr Lam said pre-season games were best played where they could connect with the fans.

"Certainly I think this is far better to come to the heartland and take the game out to the provinces and this is just great. I couldn't have asked for a better place to play the game. I heard the ground belongs to a farmer, so it's a great effort. We were a bit concerned, but it's a great surface."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/manawatu-standard/news/3258924/Fans-pack-out-Mangatainoka

Frustrated Cruden looks on as Hurricanes slip up

By DANIEL RICHARDSON - Manawatu Standard | 12 NOON - Monday, 25 January 2010

ROLL AWAY TACKLER: Hurricanes forward Jacob Ellison, with ball, is taken to ground during his team's match against the Blues in Mangatainoka. — JONATHAN CAMERON/Manawatu Standard.

ROLL AWAY TACKLER: Hurricanes forward Jacob
Ellison, with ball, is taken to ground during his
team's match against the Blues in Mangatainoka.
— JONATHAN CAMERON/Manawatu Standard.

Aaron Cruden admitted it was a bit frustrating being forced to watch from the sidelines when the Hurricanes lost to the Blues in their opening pre-season match on Saturday.

The Manawatu first-five was caught in a training incident during a contact session recently and lost sight in his left eye for three days before seeing a specialist to get it cleared up.

The doctor also ruled him out for two weeks, which included Saturday's game played in Mangatainoka, in front of just under 10,000 people.

"It was a bit of a bummer because all the family came over, but there'll be plenty more chances for them to see me," Cruden said, adding the eye injury had him sweating when it happened.

"I was quite worried for the first couple of days. I couldn't actually see anything and that's why I went to the specialist and that's when they gave me some eye drops."

Taranaki pivot Willie Ripia didn't show too much on Saturday to have Cruden worried that he won't get considerable game time for the Hurricanes this season.

Ripia didn't set the backline alight and was benched as Piri Weepu played the final quarter at first-five.

Conditions didn't allow for running rugby in Mangatainoka, but both teams tried their best, as the Blues inched past the home side to win 19-17.

Hurricanes discard Daniel Kirkpatrick proved the difference as he kicked two conversions, including the vital one late in the game after Blues halfback Taniela Moa crashed over close to the posts for the match-winning try.

Played in quarters, the match had few highlights in the first half due to the constant rain and the scores were locked five apiece at the split.

The second half proved to be a better spectacle. It was a relief to see both sides throw the ball around and not take the penalties on offer.

The game wasn't about the result for both coaches; it was more about testing combinations and working out who will make their starting 15s when the Super 14 proper begins next month.

Hurricanes coach Colin Cooper had fewer players at his disposal, with his All Blacks unavailable and three others, including Manawatu loose forward Brent Thompson out with injury, while the Blues used 28 men.

Thompson will be seeing a neck specialist this week and more will be known about his status after that.

Cruden's form in the Air New Zealand Cup last year effectively ended Kirkpatrick's chances of being re-selected in the Hurricanes and the Manawatu first-five said before he could take to the Super 14 paddock he needed to bulk up.

Listed on the Hurricanes website at 79kg, the 21-year-old said he was working on adding more weight to his frame.

"I came down at about 80-81kg, at the moment I'm holding at 83 so I'm pretty happy, but the target weight is about 85kg so we'll see how that goes.

"It's just about being able to take the knocks. It's going to be a bit more intense than Air New Zealand Cup, so I think it's just trying to help me recover week to week."

Cruden will get his first chance to pull on the yellow and black of the Hurricanes when they host the Brumbies in their second warm-up game in Porirua on Friday night.

He said after all the speculation surrounding his rise in the game he was nervous about Friday's match.

"I am a little bit. It's a huge honour and I just want to do the jersey proud so I try and not read too much into the hype and I just like to keep my head down and work hard but there definitely will be a few nerves out there."

Blues: 19 (Rene Ranger 2, Taniela Moa tries; Daniel Kirkpatrick 2 conversions).

Hurricanes: 17 (Anthony Perenise, Chris Eaton, Charlie Ngatai tries; Willie Ripia conversion).

Halftime: 5-5.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/manawatu-standard/sport/3258935/Frustrated-Cruden-looks-on-as-Hurricanes-slip-up

Editorial: Winning match on many levels

By WARWICK RASMUSSEN, Deputy Editor - Manawatu Standard | 12 NOON - Monday, 25 January 2010

It may have been weather more suited to duckshooting in May, but that didn't detract from the success of holding a big time rugby match in small time Mangatainoka.

The success of the event can be charted on several levels.

From a marketing point of view, the team at Tui tapped into the fans' psyche by staging the match in rural New Zealand. It seemed like a case of build it and they will come. And so it was. Even in the dire weather, thousands crammed cars, 4WDs and buses along the side roads around Mangatainoka, then wandered towards the paddock.

It was something of a coup for Tui to stage the match and it did come with a hefty price tag.

They were never going to make a lot of money out of the match — although the beer sales at the ground would have helped, as would the national exposure of having the big game in the little town.

What the fixture did do, though, was generate a lot of goodwill for the company and it created an almost nostalgic feel around the game which was hard to escape. Aside from all of the corporate objectives that were ticked off, it was great to see fans keen to reconnect with the game.

In a lot of ways it was a mix of old and new — the flash Harry players getting ready in the makeshift changing rooms, for example.

It was also a reminder of where the game starts for so many children around New Zealand; a wet paddock in the middle of nowhere.

It is these kinds of special occasions that really galvanise fans to their teams. Imagine how soul-less the match would have been if it had been held in Wellington to an almost empty stadium.

Instead, everyone won (except the Hurricanes on the field).

The teams didn't have all their superstars playing and it was a shame for Manawatu fans that we didn't see Aaron Cruden in the No10 jersey, but people who went to the game will always treasure the occasion.

Once all the figures have been added up, it will be interesting to see whether organisers will look at doing it again.

They would have learned a few lessons from hosting the match and can only make it better from here.

How great would it be for the fans and the game if it became an annual fixture for the Hurricanes pre-season? Here's hoping.I've given up complaining about the summer that never arrived. It was easy to forget over the weekend that this is meant to be one of the hottest times of the year. Instead, I see it as a great bonus for our agricultural sector. Driving through the region, it is unseasonably green, which can only be good at this time of year. There can be some silver linings to the many grey clouds we've been seeing.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/manawatu-standard/opinion/3258933/Editorial-Winning-match-on-many-levels
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 07:12:05 pm »

I wonder which of those streakers is Sexy showing off what he has got to the Tui Girls?  Wink

The brewery has got one of those Yeah, Right! signs mounted on a truck trailer which they move around and park on the side of the road in various places. Yesterday, they had it parked at the south end of Pahiatua and the sign said, Host the Rugby World Cup final at Mangatainoka Stadium...  Yeah, Right!  Grin

See if those photographs of the streakers remain without being censored. Photobucket deleted a couple of them not long after they were uploaded. So I changed the file names and uploaded them to a different account. With a bit of luck they won't notice them parked elsewhere on their servers, but you never know. If they disappear and get replaced by a little flag declaring “This image or video violated our terms of use” then you'll know they discovered them again....Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

chevy

Chevy from the Levy

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 05:31:33 pm »

Im a true blue Lion Red drinker as I find it goes down nicer than Tui.
Was on the Tui web last nite and will be taking my 2 sons over the PaTua track to see da Brewery for a  Grin day trip.

Report Spam   Logged

bye bye American Pie
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 05:43:27 pm »

Im a true blue Lion Red drinker as I find it goes down nicer than Tui.
Was on the Tui web last nite and will be taking my 2 sons over the PaTua track to see da Brewery for a  Grin day trip.

Are you sure it is the brewery you want to see?

Could it perhaps be that you want to oogle the Tui Girls?  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 08:49:58 pm »

Grassroots rugby at its best

By KATIE FARMAN - Wairarapa News | 11:16AM - Wednesday, 27 January 2010

TUI TIME: From a seat in the top row, Richard Mackenzie has a perfect view of the action. — CRAIG SIMCOX/The Dominion Post

TUI TIME: From a seat in the top row, Richard Mackenzie has a
perfect view of the action. — CRAIG SIMCOX/The Dominion Post

A renaissance in grassroots rugby may be just around the corner thanks to Wairarapa resident Nick Rogers, who championed Saturday's successful Super 14 pre-season game between the Hurricanes and the Blues at Mangatainoka.

The Tui Brewery commercial manager, who organised the sold-out game, told Wairarapa News he received overwhelming positive feedback from spectators, rugby officials and players.

"The clear message from those at the game is there is a groundswell of grassroots rugby support and we could see that demand early, with the game selling out 10 days in advance," he said.

"But the good thing was, everyone talked about how great it was to go to the game with their friends, the organising of the bus, the walk to the ground, having a beer with their mates in the stands and catching up with old friends.

"It was a real social outing and emphasised the theatre of going to the game."

Mr Rogers said while it was too early to speculate on whether Mangatainoka will host a similar game in the future, he did say it will be something he will consider following discussions with Hurricanes management.

"When you have rugby greats like Sir Colin Meads addressing the crowd and championing a similar game in Te Kuiti, it does make you think doesn't it?"

Saturday's game, which saw Blues halfback Taniela Moa score a last-gasp try to beat the Hurricanes 19-17 in front of almost 10,000 spectators packing the specially-made stadium, was held on Neil Symonds' farm against an atmospheric backdrop of driving rain, impromptu mud wrestling and Tui Brewery Girls wading through the mud in their bare feet.

Helicopter rides, an air show, a string of streakers, live music and an entertaining curtain-raiser, kicked off by Sir Colin Meads, complemented the day's unique rugby experience. Rugby greats Sir Brian Lochore, Sir Colin and Ian Kirkpatrick spoke to 1000 corporate ticket holders, who sheltered from the rain huddling under umbrellas and standing under the corporate tents, about the importance of heartland rugby, while sports broadcaster Keith Quinn said he was honoured to speak at the event.

"I've been very lucky to look back on my career and think I've broadcast from places like Twickenham and Cardiff Arms Park, Pretoria and the Sydney Cricket Ground," said Quinn.

"But now I can say I've been to Skin Symonds' farm here at the Mangatainoka Domain, one of the highlights of my rugby career, I'm sure."

Following the game, Hurricanes player Charlie Ngatai, who scored one of his team's tries, mingled with fans by signing autographs and posing for photos. He said he had been overwhelmed by the level of support.

"Wow, what a cool day. I mean it's so cool for these supporters to come out here, especially the ones who often can't get to Wellington."

"The atmosphere has just been awesome and the crowd amazing."

Mr Rogers said he was thrilled with the turnout and the atmosphere at the game.

"Everyone left the game with smiles and talking positively about Mangatainoka, Tui Brewery and rugby, and for me that's the best thing I could hope to achieve," he said.

After investing some time with his family this week, Mr Rogers said he will turn his focus to next month's Small Town Big Sounds concert that will feature Evermore, Supergroove and the Beat Girls. The Small Town Big Sounds concert at Tui Brewery is on February 27.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/local/wairarapa-news/3265871/Grassroots-rugby-at-its-best
Report Spam   Logged

chevy

Chevy from the Levy

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 08:43:06 pm »

After investing some time with his family this week, Mr Rogers said he will turn his focus to next month's Small Town Big Sounds concert that will feature Evermore, Supergroove and the Beat Girls. The Small Town Big Sounds concert at Tui Brewery is on February 27.

O for Oresome! but no mention of the Tui workers...
Report Spam   Logged

bye bye American Pie
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 11:04:19 am »

Cycleway through Tararuas explored

By WALT DICKSON - Wairarapa News | 10:37AM - Wednesday, 03 February 2010

A long-awaited alternative route to the west coast of the North Island could finally become a reality. But it won't be available to motorists.

The Horowhenua District Council is hoping to develop a cycleway over the Tararua Ranges from Shannon to Eketahuna. Part of the Government's national cycleway, it would provide the first link between Horowhenua and Wairarapa. The council has applied for Tourism Ministry funding for a feasibility study for the 40-kilometre cycleway.

Plans for a link between Horowhenua and Wairarapa date back more than 100 years, when a Shannon to Eketahuna road was first suggested. However, it has always been considered to be cost prohibitive.

As recently as three years ago the idea was again revisited when a feasibility study was undertaken by the Horowhenua District Council. But the estimated cost of more than $68 million meant it was unaffordable.

Council spokesperson David Clapperton says a suggestion was then put forward to use the same route but rather than having an 8-metre-wide road to have a 2.5m- wide-path for a cycleway instead.

"We looked at it with disdain at first but when we really thought about it we thought it was a really neat idea and in terms of what the Prime Minister and the Tourism Ministry are trying to achieve with the national cycleway it was just a natural link," he said.

"The national cycleway is all about finding new adventure opportunities and we believe crossing the Tararuas would be an exciting ride."

As well as providing some stunning vistas the cycleway would also boost economic development in the two small communities.

The proposed route has a working title of the "Missing Link" as it enables a safe offroad cycle connection opening up options both sides of the lower North Island for cycle travellers.

Mr Clapperton says the route would showcase the stunning natural environment of the Tararua Ranges and connect the "Natural Coast" hinterland. It also allows the distinct cultural heritage and pioneering spirit of the people that have occupied and developed this place to be visited and articulated through existing and proposed new facilities, he says.

The proposed route utilises quiet local country roads and an access road from Shannon to the high point of the route (570 metres), then requires a new trail of about 24km to link from the high point down to Eketahuna.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/local/wairarapa-news/3288289/Cycleway-through-Tararuas-explored
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2010, 08:53:38 pm »

Tui Small Town Big Sounds

It's on this Saturday (27th February) at the Tui Brewery, Mangatainoka.

And....yes Chevy....the Tui Girls are going to be in attendance at the concert according to the website!
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2010, 05:55:53 pm »

Cycleway through Tararua Ranges

By PIERS FULLER - Wairarapa News | 1:28PM - Wednesday, 07 April 2010

Shannon to Eketahuna across the Tararua Ranges.

Despite not being among the 13 projects to get New Zealand Cycle Trail funding, backers of a proposed cycleway through the Tararua Ranges are pedalling ahead. Representatives from the Horowhenua District Council (HDC) are coming to talk to the Eketahuna Community Board this week to gauge what interest and support that would be available on this side of the island for the Shannon-Eketahuna route.

HDC spokesperson David Clapperton says they are viewing the cycleway as a long-term objective and it is important to get the proper infrastructure in place if people are going to use such a facility.

"We've got a good council who are quite forward-thinking and we're not ones to hold back and say ‘we're not going to do it because we haven't got money’. Let's test the water first and scope it out and see what it all entails," he says.

He is optimistic that with the right support the interested parties can forge ahead and make it happen, even though it could take years.

"I keep on using the examples of the Eiffel Tower, or the Arc de Triomphe, or even the Stadium in Wellington — they all started with an idea, and at the moment this is the stage that we're at, and if we can fulfil that idea, that would be fantastic," he says.

A feasibility study would have to be comprehensive and provide enough concrete information to move ahead with a detailed plan. A study would cost around $80,000 and the HDC would seek some support from Tararua District Council and other stakeholders.

"We would have to make sure there was the level of detail that would support a reasonable costing of the project down to the infrastructure parts. You can't just do it from a piece of paper, you've got to go up there and have a look," he says.

As well as providing some stunning vistas the cycleway would also boost economic development in the two districts.

The proposed route has a working title of the "Missing Link" as it enables a safe off road cycle connection opening up options both sides of the lower North Island for cycle travellers. The proposed route utilises quiet local country roads and an access road from Shannon to the high point of the route (570 metres) and then requires a new trail of about 24km to be formed to link across from the high point down to Eketahuna. The track will be a minimum of 2.5 metres in width although it may be narrower for short bridge sections if this is required to minimise the construction costs. The surface will be formed as compacted and metalled surface.

Gretchen Bunny of Destination Wairarapa recently hosted a meeting in Greytown with a range of cycling groups looking at an overall plan for developing the activity in Wairarapa and she contacted Mr Clapperton with a view to bringing the HDC into the loop with what is going on here.

Plans for a link between Horowhenua and Wairarapa date back more than 100 years, when a Shannon to Eketahuna road was first suggested. However it has always been considered to be cost prohibitive to build a road for heavy traffic.

As recently as three years ago the idea for another road through the Tararuas was again revisited when a feasibility study was undertaken by the Horowhenua District Council. But the estimated cost of more than $68 million meant it was unaffordable.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/local/wairarapa-news/3554107/Cycleway-through-Tararua-Ranges
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2010, 01:32:35 pm »

Support grows for Tararua cycleway

By PIERS FULLER - Wairarapa News | 3:22PM - Wednesday, 21 April 2010

Northern Wairarapa is throwing its support behind a proposed cycleway through the Tararua Ranges from Shannon to Eketahuna.

Representatives from the Horowhenua District Council (HDC) met a group in Eketahuna recently and their ideas were well-received by those in the southern Tararua district ward.

Eketahuna Community Board chairman John Harman said the cycleway could bring all sorts of benefits to the area and, although the cost of a feasibility study is quite high, it would show the Government that the board was serious about going ahead with the trans-Tararua bicycle route.

The HDC has already done a lot of research on the project and it estimates that a comprehensive feasibility study would cost $60,000 to $80,000.

The territorial authority on the west coast is hoping that the Tararua District Council will give financial support to the study. Council chief executive Blair King was at the meeting.

The meeting attracted a range of people from the area who had an interest in the cycleway project, including farmers and homestay and hotel operators, as well as those from the tourism industry.

Mr Harman said there was widespread support, even from farmers whose land the trail may traverse.

"The people that were there were very enthusiastic about it. They were very keen that it should take place," he said.

"The meeting was unanimous that, if it was possible for the Horowhenua and Tararua councils to proceed with the feasibility study, that they should do so," he said.

Despite not being one of the 13 proposals chosen to be funded as part of the New Zealand Cycle Trail project, backers of the Shannon-Eketahuna link are not to be deterred. "Even though they did miss out on the application for the Government to support funding for the project, they felt to do nothing was to, perhaps, wait forever," says Mr Harman.

The feeling at the meeting was that if they go ahead and do their own study they are more likely to be in a strong position to get the nod in the next phase of the national cycleway project.

"We felt that as cycleways got under way up and down the country, that the Government might look favourably at the initiative taken," he says.

The Horowhenua District Council's spokesman on the project, David Clapperton, says they are looking at this long term and they are confident they can achieve their goal.

The next step is to meet to form a steering committee to drive the project forward.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/local/wairarapa-news/3606706/Support-grows-for-cycleway
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2010, 06:55:44 pm »

Car plunges 20m into river

By JONATHON HOWE - Manawatu Standard | 10:19AM - Saturday, 21 August 2010

Emergency workers stand next to the barrier where a car crashed through before plunging 20 metres in to the Manawatu River. — FAITH SUTHERLAND/Manawatu Standard.
Emergency workers stand next to the barrier where a car crashed through before plunging 20 metres in to the Manawatu River.
 — FAITH SUTHERLAND/Manawatu Standard.

Emergency workers look down the cliff where a car crashed this morning. — FAITH SUTHERLAND/Manawatu Standard.
Emergency workers look down the cliff where a car crashed this morning. — FAITH SUTHERLAND/Manawatu Standard.

A man stands at the edge of the Manawatu River where a car crashed this morning. — FAITH SUTHERLAND/Manawatu Standard.
A man stands at the edge of the Manawatu River where a car crashed this morning. — FAITH SUTHERLAND/Manawatu Standard.

POLICE have called in divers to search for the occupants of a car that smashed through a roadside barrier and into the Manawatu Gorge this morning.

Police said they do not know how many people were in the car when it crashed at 7.35am.

The car, believed to be a Subaru, was travelling in the direction of Woodville when it crashed through the barrier at the Ashhurst end of the Manawatu Gorge and plunged 20 metres in to the river.

Police spokeswoman Kim Perks said a boat was used to get close to the submerged car, but divers have been called to investigate further.

"The car is not moving but we can't get to it," she said.

Wreckage was strewn across the road and in the water, Ms Perks said.

The car crashed in the same spot where a van that was stolen from Palmerston North went over in May this year. The 46-year-old Feilding man driving the van suffered minor injuries.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/manawatu-standard/4047319/Car-plunges-20m-into-river
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2010, 01:19:40 pm »

Body pulled out of river

Sunday News | 5:00AM - Sunday, 22 August 2010

DROWNED: The Subaru was swept downstream in the Manawatu River near Ashurst.
DROWNED: The Subaru was swept downstream
in the Manawatu River near Ashurst.

THE BODY of a man was last night recovered by police divers who battled swollen waters of the Manawatu River to reach a car which had plunged 20 metres into the gorge yesterday morning.

The man, who hasn't been named, was found 20m downstream from the wreckage of his Subaru.

The car, travelling east up the gorge towards Woodville suddenly veered off the road at the start of the gorge near Ashurst at 7.35am yesterday. It crossed a vehicle layby, smashed through a roadside barrier and fell 20m into the river.

From that moment there were frantic attempts to get to the driver.

Two witnesses phoned emergency services and scrambled down the bank in the first rescue bid. But by the time they reached the car, it was submerged.

Central District police spokeswoman Kim Perks said a search and rescue crew used a boat to get close to the car but the fast flowing river, swollen by days of rain, initially defeated them.

Muddy water meant visibility was poor.

Police divers were called from Wellington and arrived at the scene about 2pm but the car was empty when they searched it.

Perks said the vehicle was registered to a Wellington man.

The car was eventually dragged out by a tow truck with a steel cable.

Perks said the stretch of road where the crash occurred was relatively straight compared with the rest of the gorge but just three months ago a van crashed in exactly the same spot — that driver survived.

In March, a 49-year-old Fielding man was killed after his truck and trailer unit crashed through the barrier and down the steep bank to the river's edge.

The 6.4km long gorge road links Palmerston North with the Wairarapa and Hawke's Bay.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sunday-news/news/4047757/Body-pulled-out-of-river
Report Spam   Logged

Im2Sexy4MyPants
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2010, 05:19:01 pm »

Gorge crash victim named

22 Aug 2010 12:25
The man killed when his car crashed into the Manawatu Gorge near Ashhurst yesterday morning has been named as 38-year-old Darren Ellis from Upper Hutt.

Police divers found the body of Mr Ellis 20m from the submerged car, which rocketed through a barrier like a "scud missile", plunging 30m into the gorge.

Central serious crash unit Senior Constable Les Maddaford said witnesses saw the Subaru Impreza stationwagon travelling through the Manawatu Gorge about 7.35am towards Woodville.

It was going about 100km/h and crashed through the barrier before plummeting into the river.

A witness saw the vehicle leave the road at speed and within minutes the car had sunk beneath the dirty waters of the swollen river.

"He went off the cliff like a rocket and straight through the barrier," the witness said.

"A truckie coming the other way got down there with me but all we could see was an oil slick. Then a pair of shoes came floating up and an All Black cap."

Maddaford said there were no visible tyre marks on the road. The car had destroyed about 20m of barrier at the top of the cliff.

Maddaford said because of the speed, the car "had the capability of going off that drop like a scud missile".

"There are a multitude of things that could have happened. We'll have to inspect the vehicle for faults and check the driver's background for medical or personal issues."

Police divers from Wellington found the body about 6pm.

http://mobile.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.php?c_id=1&objectid=10668065

Report Spam   Logged

Are you sick of the bullshit from the sewer stream media spewed out from the usual Ken and Barby dickless talking point look a likes.

If you want to know what's going on in the real world...
And the many things that will personally effect you.
Go to
http://www.infowars.com/

AND WAKE THE F_ _K UP

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: