Xtra News Community 2
April 19, 2024, 11:13:36 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Meanwhile, in Tararua Country....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Meanwhile, in Tararua Country....  (Read 15069 times)
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« on: January 27, 2010, 08:49:58 pm »

Grassroots rugby at its best

By KATIE FARMAN - Wairarapa News | 11:16AM - Wednesday, 27 January 2010

TUI TIME: From a seat in the top row, Richard Mackenzie has a perfect view of the action. — CRAIG SIMCOX/The Dominion Post

TUI TIME: From a seat in the top row, Richard Mackenzie has a
perfect view of the action. — CRAIG SIMCOX/The Dominion Post

A renaissance in grassroots rugby may be just around the corner thanks to Wairarapa resident Nick Rogers, who championed Saturday's successful Super 14 pre-season game between the Hurricanes and the Blues at Mangatainoka.

The Tui Brewery commercial manager, who organised the sold-out game, told Wairarapa News he received overwhelming positive feedback from spectators, rugby officials and players.

"The clear message from those at the game is there is a groundswell of grassroots rugby support and we could see that demand early, with the game selling out 10 days in advance," he said.

"But the good thing was, everyone talked about how great it was to go to the game with their friends, the organising of the bus, the walk to the ground, having a beer with their mates in the stands and catching up with old friends.

"It was a real social outing and emphasised the theatre of going to the game."

Mr Rogers said while it was too early to speculate on whether Mangatainoka will host a similar game in the future, he did say it will be something he will consider following discussions with Hurricanes management.

"When you have rugby greats like Sir Colin Meads addressing the crowd and championing a similar game in Te Kuiti, it does make you think doesn't it?"

Saturday's game, which saw Blues halfback Taniela Moa score a last-gasp try to beat the Hurricanes 19-17 in front of almost 10,000 spectators packing the specially-made stadium, was held on Neil Symonds' farm against an atmospheric backdrop of driving rain, impromptu mud wrestling and Tui Brewery Girls wading through the mud in their bare feet.

Helicopter rides, an air show, a string of streakers, live music and an entertaining curtain-raiser, kicked off by Sir Colin Meads, complemented the day's unique rugby experience. Rugby greats Sir Brian Lochore, Sir Colin and Ian Kirkpatrick spoke to 1000 corporate ticket holders, who sheltered from the rain huddling under umbrellas and standing under the corporate tents, about the importance of heartland rugby, while sports broadcaster Keith Quinn said he was honoured to speak at the event.

"I've been very lucky to look back on my career and think I've broadcast from places like Twickenham and Cardiff Arms Park, Pretoria and the Sydney Cricket Ground," said Quinn.

"But now I can say I've been to Skin Symonds' farm here at the Mangatainoka Domain, one of the highlights of my rugby career, I'm sure."

Following the game, Hurricanes player Charlie Ngatai, who scored one of his team's tries, mingled with fans by signing autographs and posing for photos. He said he had been overwhelmed by the level of support.

"Wow, what a cool day. I mean it's so cool for these supporters to come out here, especially the ones who often can't get to Wellington."

"The atmosphere has just been awesome and the crowd amazing."

Mr Rogers said he was thrilled with the turnout and the atmosphere at the game.

"Everyone left the game with smiles and talking positively about Mangatainoka, Tui Brewery and rugby, and for me that's the best thing I could hope to achieve," he said.

After investing some time with his family this week, Mr Rogers said he will turn his focus to next month's Small Town Big Sounds concert that will feature Evermore, Supergroove and the Beat Girls. The Small Town Big Sounds concert at Tui Brewery is on February 27.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/local/wairarapa-news/3265871/Grassroots-rugby-at-its-best
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: