Xtra News Community 2
April 19, 2024, 12:21:52 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Meanwhile, in Tararua Country....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Meanwhile, in Tararua Country....  (Read 15057 times)
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« on: January 23, 2010, 11:32:42 am »

Hurricanes keen to hit the paddock

By DANIEL RICHARDSON - Manawatu Standard | 12 NOON - Friday, 22 January 2010

Go the “Canes”.

Nick Crosswell never imagined he'd pull on a Hurricanes jersey to go and play a game on a farm in Mangatainoka.

The 1.95-metre Manawatu loose forward will do that tomorrow, in the first Super 14 pre-season game against the Blues on Neil Symonds' farm.

Crosswell, 23, said he was looking forward to playing after a busy training regime.

"We've done quite a bit of training, and it'll just be good to get out there and try a few things," he said yesterday.

"I never thought I'd pull on any sort of jersey out there [Mangatainoka], so to put on a Hurricanes jersey over there is a pretty good occasion."

Crosswell will come off the bench tomorrow and will cover lock, openside and No.8 after spending most of his time for the Turbos as a blindside flanker.

"I've played a lot of six, so to play the other positions will be good."

He said the team were excited about playing at Mangatainoka because the match had a novelty factor to it.

It'll be the third time he has played for the Hurricanes, after turning out in two pre-season games last year. He has never played a competition match.

Crosswell, who went to Feilding High School, said plenty of family and friends would be watching tomorrow's game.

"There's been a lot of texts come my way the last few days."

The Blues have named 28 players and the Hurricanes will suit up 23 for tomorrow's 3pm clash, which will be played in quarters and will see lots of substitutions, plenty of points, and buckets of sweat if the weather is hot.

Manawatu first five-eighth Aaron Cruden will miss the game after a training accident, when he was poked in the eye. He hopes to be fit to meet the Brumbies in Porirua next weekend. Taranaki's Willie Ripia will start at pivot.

Manawatu's Johnny Leota will start in the midfield alongside Southlander Jason Kawau.

Joe Rokocoko will captain the Blues, with regular skipper Keven Mealamu out with injury.

Tui marketing manager Nick Rogers said Mangatainoka was ready to host its biggest sporting event.

"I think the weather's all booked in, the scaffolding's finished today, the beer's in the chiller and the tents are all up," he said yesterday.

There were no last-minute thoughts of adding extra seating to bump up the crowd.

"I'd just be asking for trouble," he said.

The game kicks off at 3pm after a curtain-raiser at 1pm between a Tui Invitation XV and a Mangatainoka RFC XV featuring some Manawatu rugby personalities, including Turbos coaches Bruce Hemara and Dave Rennie. Sir Colin Meads, Sir Brian Lochore and rugby commentator Keith Quinn will be in attendance.

• Blues: Paul Williams, Joe Rokocoko (captain), George Pisi, Benson Stanley, Rudi Wulf, Stephen Brett, Alby Mathewson, Viliame Ma'afu, Serge Lilo, Peter Saili, Andre van der Heijden, Filo Paulo, Charlie Faumuina, Tom McCartney, Tevita Mailau. Reserves: Ash Dixon, Pauliasi Manu, Michael Reid, Liaki Moli, Anthony Boric, Onosa'i Auva'a, Tom Chamberlain, Jerome Kaino, Chris Smylie, Michael Harris, Dan Kirkpatrick, Lachie Munro, Rene Ranger.

• Hurricanes: Andre Taylor, Alapati Leiua, Jason Kawau, Johnny Leota, Hosea Gear, Willie Ripia, Piri Weepu, Victor Vito, Scott Waldrom, James Broadhurst, Api Naikatini, Anthony Perenise, Ged Robinson, John Schwalger. Reserves: Tyson Keats, David Smith, Charlie Ngatai, Nick Crosswell, Daniel Ramsay, Jacob Ellison, Chris Eaton, Michael Bent.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/manawatu-standard/sport/3253123/Hurricanes-keen-to-hit-the-paddock
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: