Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 06:14:21 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

NZ 2009 Photos

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NZ 2009 Photos  (Read 1371 times)
Jodes
Bloody-Good Member

« on: August 17, 2009, 11:36:42 am »

I had some time to spare so thought I'd upload a few...hope you like them.

Latch and key hole....Church of The Good Shepherd

Taken upstairs at The stables Cafe in Arrowtown

On the way to Glenorchy

Church Of The Good Shepherd

Possum

Mountaineering garb, then and now

Take on one of the blue lakes Tasman Valley

Rock from the summit of Aoraki/Mt Cook

More of the Blue (green) lake

Empress Hut

Stables Cafe Arrowtown

Our view from the crowne plaza at Queenstown, sunset

Take up at the skyview Restaurant viewing deck

Lake hayes

Miners cottages at Arrowtown

More of our view

Moon and The Remarkables

Sunrise on a hill in Deer park Heights

another shot in The Stables

Old building at Arrowtown, I am going to paint this in oils.
Report Spam   Logged

Jody

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 12:56:58 pm »

That rock from Aoraki came from the Summit Rocks which is about eight hundred feet below the actual summit of the mountain (which is an ice-cap). The Summit Rocks are up near the top of Zurbriggen's Ridge and are the most difficult section to climb (or descend) for climbers using Zurbriggen's Ridge or the Linda Glacier to gain access to the High Peak.

A similar-sized piece of rock was removed from the same location on Aoraki and transported to Sydney a few years ago where it was errected as the headstone for Freda Du Faur's unmarked grave in the Manly Cemetery. A group of NZ climbers had managed to track down her grave and were shocked to discover it was unmarked, so they decided a piece of rock from high up on Aoraki would be the perfect headstone. The NZ Government had to pass an Act of Parliament to authorise it (it was tacked onto another Bill as a separate clause). I posted a news story (with photograph) at the XNC2 group hosted by MSN when the unveiling occured, as well as at a couple of MSN-hosted Aussie groups. I will still have the story filed away on a notepad document somewhere (and should also have the photograph on an external hard-drive). I might try to locate both of them when I have time and reformat the story from HTML code to BB code (as used by these SMF forums as well as ProBoards) and put the accompanying photograph back online and insert it into the story, then repost the news story with photo into this group.
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 01:06:58 pm »

BTW....that Empress Hut was the highest building in NZ (in terms of the altitude of the site, rather than the height of the actual building) when it was sited way up above the Empress Glacier at the head of the Hooker Glacier. It was replaced a few years ago with a flash new hut of a considerably larger size on a site very close to where the original hut was sited. Once the new hut was completed, the original Empress Hut was lifted out by helicopter and put in storage until the new National Park Visitor Centre was opened at Mount Cook Village earlier this year, then the hut was put on public display.

The Empress Hut site is where Tom Fyfe, George Graham and Jack Clarke set up their overnight bivouac on Christmas Eve 1894 before the final assault on the High Peak of Aoraki on Christmas Day 1894, the first succesful conquest of the highest point on the mountain. The route they took was up the couloir from the head of the Hooker Valley to Green's Saddle, then up the North Ridge onto the summit ice cap, then by cutting steps in the ice straight up to the summit. It is regarded as one of the most extreme routes on the mountain and wasn't used again for an ascent for another seventy years. Even today, it is seldom climbed because of the extreme difficulty and danger of the route. Tom Fyfe's team climbed it in hobnail boots and tweed jackets!
Report Spam   Logged
Jodes
Bloody-Good Member

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 07:08:10 pm »

I also took a lot of photos of Mt Sefton and The Footstool but it is like you seen one, you seen them all. I will post a few if anyone wants to see them though.

Either next year or the year after we are going to get a helicopter to the Kelman Hut and stay for a couple of days there....$35 a night with views to die for.
Report Spam   Logged

Jody
Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 09:58:16 pm »

Mountaineer celebrated

Freda Du Faur — first woman to climb Aoraki-Mount Cook

The Timaru Herald | Saturday, 09 December 2006

PIONEER REMEMBERED: Australian mountaineer Freda Du Faur finally has a memorial at Manly cemetery thanks to two expat Kiwis, Ash Gualter and Sally Irwin.

PIONEER REMEMBERED: Australian mountaineer
Freda Du Faur finally has a memorial at Manly
cemetery thanks to two expat Kiwis,
Ash Gualter and Sally Irwin.

A meeting of Kiwis in Sydney last week celebrated the achievements of an unusual Australian mountaineer.

Freda Du Faur, the first woman to climb Aoraki-Mount Cook in 1910, had been lying in an unmarked grave at the Manly cemetery until former Timaru man Ash Gualter found out what had happened to her.

Inspired by expat Kiwi author Sally Irwin's book Between Heaven and Earth Mr Gualter searched for the gravesite and when he found it unmarked decided something should be done.

Two years later and on the 96th anniversary of Miss Du Faur ascent of the summit of Aoraki-Mount Cook a memorial was unveiled by Manly mayor Peter Macdonald and Ms Irwin in front of 50 people.

Mr Gualter said he was inspired by Freda's achievements in the Southern Alps and her grave needed to acknowledge those deeds.

"I guess she has been forgotten for 70-odd years but you have to remember her extraordinary achievements, she climbed New Zealand's highest peak in hobnail boots and a skirt."

Ms Irwin said Freda's story was a remarkable one and she was rapt there was now a memorial plaque telling her story.

Mr Gualter was pleased with the number of people who turned out for the unveiling of the memorial.

They included several mountaineers, a number of people with connections to South Canterbury, representatives of the Manly Historical Society and the headmistress of Freda's Sydney school.

It wouldn't have happened without the support of some people in South Canterbury and it's great the memorial stone comes from Aoraki-Mount Cook where she climbed."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/timaruherald/0,2106,3893811a6571,00.html
Report Spam   Logged
samparker
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 12:25:25 am »

i also got a collection watch this

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 11:21:30 am »

They're all stolen off the web.  Seen the before - boot him to the curb mods.
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 12:09:40 pm »

They're all stolen off the web.  Seen the before - boot him to the curb mods.

Messages sent to Justic and Brownie an hour ago.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: