Xtra News Community 2
August 26, 2019, 11:10:33 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

NZ 2009 Photos

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NZ 2009 Photos  (Read 767 times)
Kiwithrottlejockey
« on: August 21, 2009, 02:56:58 pm »

That rock from Aoraki came from the Summit Rocks which is about eight hundred feet below the actual summit of the mountain (which is an ice-cap). The Summit Rocks are up near the top of Zurbriggen's Ridge and are the most difficult section to climb (or descend) for climbers using Zurbriggen's Ridge or the Linda Glacier to gain access to the High Peak.

A similar-sized piece of rock was removed from the same location on Aoraki and transported to Sydney a few years ago where it was errected as the headstone for Freda Du Faur's unmarked grave in the Manly Cemetery. A group of NZ climbers had managed to track down her grave and were shocked to discover it was unmarked, so they decided a piece of rock from high up on Aoraki would be the perfect headstone. The NZ Government had to pass an Act of Parliament to authorise it (it was tacked onto another Bill as a separate clause). I posted a news story (with photograph) at the XNC2 group hosted by MSN when the unveiling occured, as well as at a couple of MSN-hosted Aussie groups. I will still have the story filed away on a notepad document somewhere (and should also have the photograph on an external hard-drive). I might try to locate both of them when I have time and reformat the story from HTML code to BB code (as used by these SMF forums as well as ProBoards) and put the accompanying photograph back online and insert it into the story, then repost the news story with photo into this group.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: