Xtra News Community 2
April 21, 2024, 02:50:41 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Security guard helped protect Karen Aim's killer

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Security guard helped protect Karen Aim's killer  (Read 278 times)
Calliope
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

If music be the food of love, play on

« on: February 06, 2009, 01:30:42 pm »

The security guard on duty at a Taupo college the night Karen Aim's beaten body was found was known to murderer Jahche Broughton and has been convicted of helping the teen cover up evidence of an earlier bashing.

Leigh Herewini, 37, was the former partner of Broughton's aunt and would often take the 14-year-old on security rounds with him, the New Zealand Herald reported.

Yesterday, Broughton, now 15, pleaded guilty at a pre-trial hearing in the High Court at Auckland to the murder of Ms Aim, a Scottish backpacker.

He had been due to stand trial in Rotorua next week. He also pleaded guilty to wounding a 17-year-old girl with intent to cause her grievous bodily harm less than two weeks before he killed Ms Aim.

On January 5 last year, Broughton turned up at Herewini's house after bashing the 17-year-old.

The girl had left a party and started walking home when Broughton tackled her and repeatedly beat her with a rock, stopping only to pick up her handbag.

The girl, who had 10 head wounds that required more than 30 stitches, staggered to a nearby house for help.

Broughton then went to Herewini's house, where the guard helped to stash the girl's stolen pink handbag.

Herewini was working the night Ms Aim was murdered and helped to cordon off the scene. He was charged with being an accessory after the fact and sentenced to five months' community detention and six months' supervision.

The case, in Rotorua in November, was not covered by the media because details of his part in the crime were suppressed for fear they would prejudice Broughton's trial. Suppression orders were lifted yesterday following the young killer's guilty plea.

Herewini testified against Broughton during a depositions hearing in September.

A summary of facts, released at court yesterday, said that on the night of the first attack, Broughton arrived at Herewini's house with blood on his T-shirt, hands and under an armpit. He told Herewini he had been in a fight at a party.

Herewini helped Broughton clean up and the pair then went through the victim's handbag, which Broughton later told Herewini he had found on a footpath.

They each took $20 from the girl's wallet before Herewini hid the handbag in bush at the back of his property.

He then took the boy home. Police were in his driveway when he returned after they had used a dog to trace the scent from the scene of the attack on the 17-year-old.

Three days later Herewini disposed of the handbag near a sewerage plant. He later took police to the location.

On the night of Ms Aim's murder, Herewini was notified of an alarm going off at Taupo Nui-A-Tia College.

He called police after finding smashed windows at the school. An officer found Ms Aim unconscious nearby.

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-stories/5303536/security-guard-helped-protect-karen-aims-killer

The guy should have gotten more than that.
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

enemyoftheleft
Bloody-Good Member

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 02:01:21 pm »

the arsehole is up to his neck in shit trying to protect the little prick,and was probably trying to get brownie points to get back into his aunts good books and or panties!!!!!!!! I thought it would have been worth a least 2 or 3 years inside.
Report Spam   Logged

liquor up front,poker at the rear
chrismrky

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 07:10:08 pm »

the arsehole is up to his neck in shit trying to protect the little prick,and was probably trying to get brownie points to get back into his aunts good books and or panties!!!!!!!! I thought it would have been worth a least 2 or 3 years inside.

yeah,  I would have thought he would have got more to.

surely,  accessory to the murder,  or aiding and abetting after the fact.   He new more than he is letting on.

Gives a bad name to those that do proper security work.... probably wasnt even licenced. 
Report Spam   Logged

today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday....is it really been that bad today?

If we can put two men on the moon.....why cant we put the whole lot there? eh?
DidiMau69
Shit-Hot Member

On patrol Bien Hoa Province 1969

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 08:25:26 pm »

You've probably hit the nail on the head chrismrky.

Having worked in that field I have seen the results of 'Fly-by-night' security starting up and undercutting the major security companies [who check and audit their licensed guards regularly].

The 'fly by nighters do everything on the cheap, including targeting existing clients of the major companies and undercutting in an effort to build their business. They commonly employ unlicensed staff with the excuse, "They are covered by my licence". It obviously becomes very easy for the dishonest or the easily tempted to get jobs with these people.

They generally go broke after around 18 months, but in the meantime they do the industry a lot of damage not the least of which is giving clients an expectation of (unsustainable) cheap service.

Report Spam   Logged

Walk softly and carry a big stick. - Theodore Roosevelt.
k1w14ever
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 08:48:33 pm »

people keep asking me if i would come home to live.  And after staying home for a  month a 1 1/2 ago I can honestly say no.   I know it is not all roses over here at times.  But holy crap there is alot of crap happening in NZ over the last few years.  It is sad really.
Report Spam   Logged

The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder.
chrismrky

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 09:40:36 pm »

people keep asking me if i would come home to live.  And after staying home for a  month a 1 1/2 ago I can honestly say no.   I know it is not all roses over here at times.  But holy crap there is alot of crap happening in NZ over the last few years.  It is sad really.

howto say it without sounding.........offence  Tongue to some on this board

it aint all bad here kiwi,   if you a basing some of your judgement on comment on this board (consciensly or unconsciencely)  then you a getting a rather one-sided view.   We do tend to post the more 'dramatic' news here  (lets be honest people)  cause it makes for better discussion.  But like you say, it aint all roses over there either.  I read some of the Aussie newspapers on a regular basis, and OMG  I would definitely prefer here to there most times.  Like in Aussies,  certain places at certain times.....you stay away from
Report Spam   Logged

today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday....is it really been that bad today?

If we can put two men on the moon.....why cant we put the whole lot there? eh?
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 07:36:49 am »

Well put Chris
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: