Xtra News Community 2
March 30, 2024, 03:32:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Google Latitude to allow you to track friends and families every move

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Google Latitude to allow you to track friends and families every move  (Read 140 times)
Calliope
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

If music be the food of love, play on

« on: February 06, 2009, 08:39:17 am »

The new 'opt-in' feature available in Google Maps pinpoints the exact location of loved ones, but has been met with sharp criticism from privacy campaigners

Millions of people will be able to track each and every move by friends and family through their mobile phones, thanks to a new feature launched by Google yesterday.

The new system dubbed “Latitude” uses a digital map to show automatically exactly where a loved one is at any time, sometimes pinpointing their location to a few metres. Worried parents will be able to check up on where their children have got to after school, friends can meet for a quick drink if they see they are nearby and spouses will be able to see if their partners really are working late at the office.

Google said that Latitude was an opt-in feature, meaning that both parties have to consent to being spied on. But privacy campaigners said they were appalled by the idea, and children’s groups said the Government should intervene and look into whether the system was fully secure.

The feature was made available immediately on millions of mobile phones that can access the web, such as the BlackBerry. Within weeks Google hopes to release a version that will also work on computers as well.

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article5662525.ece
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 08:42:50 am »

I installed that yesterday - It's actually really super cool!!!

No more phone calls like "How far away are you?"....

It's going to have many uses!

Report Spam   Logged

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
Calliope
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

If music be the food of love, play on

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 09:14:40 am »

but also perfect for the STALKER
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 09:27:20 am »

Only if you allow stalkers to see where you are....

You're in full control of who sees what - anyone who says any different is just scaremongering...

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 07:58:43 am »

How do u mask the computers tracks so it cannot be accessed?
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
beaker
Senator
Part-Of-The-Furniture Member

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 08:28:03 am »

I'll admit it would be good for my family who travel a lot.  Even for me in my job when I'm driving out in the rural back blocks of no-where.... except NZ isn't renown for the best mobile phone coverage!
Report Spam   Logged

This job is a test . . . It is only a test . . . Had this been a real job . . . it would have come with raises, promotions and other signs of appreciation!!!
DazzaMc
Don't give me Karma!
Admin Staff

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 03:04:41 pm »

How do u mask the computers tracks so it cannot be accessed?

They only keep the most recent data/fix...
And you have total control over who sees where you are.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: