Xtra News Community 2
March 30, 2024, 12:16:04 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Govt bans school requirement to sell only healthy food

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Govt bans school requirement to sell only healthy food  (Read 290 times)
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« on: February 05, 2009, 04:12:04 pm »

Schools will no longer have to sell only healthy food on their premises, with the Government scrapping the requirement to do so.

The previous Labour Government introduced the measure in a bid to combat childhood obesity.

Education Minister Anne Tolley says the regulation for only healthy food options to be available for sale at schools is unnecessary and a bureaucratic burden.

Mrs Tolley says boards of trustees should make their own decisions about what are appropriate foods and drinks and is confident they will act responsibly.

She says schools have told her the rule is confusing, particularly when it comes to fundraising and school events.

A guideline requiring schools to promote healthy food and drink will remain in place.
http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/stories/2009/02/05/12459d8ac6af
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

enemyoftheleft
Bloody-Good Member

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 04:16:54 pm »

personal choice and a right to choose............good reversable decision from the previous nanny state
Report Spam   Logged

liquor up front,poker at the rear
gladys2

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 04:44:16 pm »

Nearly half of the girls who had high body fat in the Auckland University of Technology (AUT) study thought they were normal or underweight. (As reported in CHCH Press today.

They were only ever guidelines anyway, if schools chose not to follow them, I imagine it would simply be reflected in their ERO report.

Personally I don't think its a bad thing to encourage young people to eat healthful food, and for once I agree with the Greens - the supply of shit food in a school canteen is similar to having it offer ciggies for sale, sure both are freely available at outside shops, but it's all about setting an example. 
Report Spam   Logged
Magpie
Part-Of-The-Furniture Member

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 06:18:54 pm »

personal choice and a right to choose............good reversable decision from the previous nanny state

What a wonderful example of mindless ideology. A schoolkid has the right to choose to eat sausage rolls. hot dogs and pies? A school is not required to set any sort of example?

When all these kids grow up and suffer from diseases related to bad diet and obesity, the next generation of enemiesoftheleft will be happy to pay more tax to meet the hospital bills?

Yeah, right......

Report Spam   Logged

I have nothing to declare but my genius - Oscar Wilde at US Customs
wgtngirl
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 06:26:38 pm »

I think that the previous rules could have made an exception for fundraising and school fairs in regards to things like sweets, cakes, etc.

Personally, it doesn't affect us as I always pack our 4 kids a healthy lunch and they don't buy their lunches as it is cheaper for me to make their lunches.  3 times a year the teachers treat them to fish n chips or pizza and fizzy drink and thats ok.

enemyofthe left is right in the sense that it is a parents choice what to give their kids....however IMO having the schools sell only healthy food was setting good nutrition values that would not only reinforce those from home but also show kids whose parents do provide junk food that their is healthy alternatives for them.
Report Spam   Logged
Newtown-Fella
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 06:27:03 pm »

Magpie read the whole article...
National has removed the mindless ideology of your beloved girlfriend Helen and NOW allows schools to chose what they will serve in their school cafes... schools would no longer be required to act as "food police".

Schools were outraged when the clause was introduced last year and saw it as yet another increase in unnecessary bureaucracy, Mrs Tolley said.

"I believe boards of trustees should be able to make their own decisions about appropriate food and drink options. After all, they are parents who should be aware of what good and bad foods are. I am confident they will act responsibly," Mrs Tolley said.

"It should be noted that clause two in the National Administration Guideline (5) that requires schools to promote healthy food and drink to students remains in place."

Ban on selling unheathy food in schools lifted

Schools are no longer required to offer only healthy food at tuck shops. Photo / Dean Purcell.

Schools are no longer required to offer only healthy food at tuck shops. Photo / Dean Purcell.

Unheathy food is set to return to school tuck shops after the Government overturned an attempted ban on selling unhealthy food in schools.

Education Minister Anne Tolley said she had decided to remove the National Administration Guideline (5) which tells schools that "where food and beverages are sold on school premises, to make only healthy options available".

Mrs Tolley said this meant schools would no longer be required to act as "food police".

The Government believed the rule was unnecessary and had caused confusion for schools, particularly around fundraising and school events.

Schools were outraged when the clause was introduced last year and saw it as yet another increase in unnecessary bureaucracy, Mrs Tolley said.

"I believe boards of trustees should be able to make their own decisions about appropriate food and drink options. After all, they are parents who should be aware of what good and bad foods are. I am confident they will act responsibly," Mrs Tolley said.

"It should be noted that clause two in the National Administration Guideline (5) that requires schools to promote healthy food and drink to students remains in place."

When the clause came into effect surveys showed many schools were not complying or reporting that students were just buying unhealthy food outside school and bringing it in.

There were also reports that a number of tuck shops were closing, losing money or finding it difficult to comply with the rules.

Others, including the Greens, welcomed the move and noted that it had resulted in an increase in the number of healthy options being served up in tuck shops.

Secondary Principals' Association president Peter Gall said at the time the changes were harsh, and some schools would see them as an encroachment on freedom.

Green MP Sue Kedgley said she was "very surprised" by Mr Gall's comments, as clear links had repeatedly been shown between a healthy diet and the ability for children to concentrate at school.

A survey before the rules came into effect reported that 50 per cent were not offering any fruit, and 25 per cent were not offering any sandwiches in their canteens.

Ms Kedgley said that arguing the children would still buy the products elsewhere was "a nonsense".

"Teenagers can buy cigarettes at the local dairy, but that doesn't mean we should allow them to sell them at school.

"Schools should set an example and be a model as far as we're concerned."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10555363
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 07:45:01 pm by Newtown-Fella » Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 07:06:37 pm »

I recall our form teacher ripping into us for buy unhealthy fatty food at the school canteen and us answering back that all the teachers and the 7th formers had bought all the filled rolls before we got a chance to even queue.

Oddly enough 26 years later sp1, now at the same school which now has replaced the pokey old canteem with a cafateria, has reported the same thing.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Magpie

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 07:13:20 pm »

Poor silly Newtown Fella not only cannot spell ideology, he doesn't understand what it means.

If Anne Tolley is correct and boards of trustees act responsibly, then schools wouldn't have been selling unhealthy foods in the first place. Contrary to NF's silly arguments, no one was asking schools to be "food police", simply to offer only healthy foods. The capacity of rightwingers to indulge in dumbarse cliches is neverending.

If parents are determined that their kids are going to eat foods that are bad for them, then they can fill their lunches with chippies and cakes. But why should the schools co-operate with them?

This is a silly decision by a silly Minister. This is one of those issues that you grizzle about in Opposition, then quietly forget about if you win Government.

I am sure John will be delighted to read headlines about National supporting fatty foods in schools.....methinks Anne may be kept in after class.
Report Spam   Logged

Ferney
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 07:14:36 pm »

I think some schools will carry on with healthy options.  I don't see why parents find it a problem for schools to provide healthy food.   It is a place for education, not a fast food outlet.   We were taught about healthy eating at primary school.  I remember the big charts above the blackboard with pictures of what we should eat.   
Report Spam   Logged
bump head benny
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 07:15:45 pm »

Fairly cunning move by Jonkey, he knows that soon hardly any barsid will be able to afford food so there wont be any fat huas around anyway. Theyre clever those fullaz in the beehive.

Report Spam   Logged

Lets kill all the warmongers.
Magpie

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 07:24:03 pm »

If I recall the debate at the time, schools were not concerned about Tolley's so-called bureauracy, and really concerned that none of the kids would want to buy healthy food and the school cafes would lose money and might have to close.
Report Spam   Logged

Calliope
Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

If music be the food of love, play on

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 09:27:43 pm »

I'm sorry but I don't remember schools selling food when I was at school (apart from the short period I spent as a boarder at a private school)
However I do remember the local fish and chip shop delivered to the school at lunch time. You placed you order with the teacher in the morning and the lunches were delivered at lunchtime.
Report Spam   Logged

[W]hat the internet and its cult of anonymity do is to provide a blanket sort of immunity for anybody who wants to say anything about anybody else, and it would be difficult in this sense to think of a more morally deformed exploitation of the concept of free speech.
- Richard Bernstein in the New York Times
bump head benny
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 01:46:27 am »

We had the tuck shop.....raspberry turnovers and a lil packet of chippies plus a fizzy drink for lunch at by jingoes it was tasty.
Report Spam   Logged

Lets kill all the warmongers.
chrismrky

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 10:30:21 am »

If I recall the debate at the time, schools were not concerned about Tolley's so-called bureauracy, and really concerned that none of the kids would want to buy healthy food and the school cafes would lose money and might have to close.
[/color]

Yes, i always felt that the schools were more worried about losing money than anything else.  And they had to be worried. .... they are (or most are) underfunded and needed fundraisers and the tuck shop to help support them.

and yes,   it was always the staff and 6th and 7th formers who got the best food from the tuckshop,  the 3rd 4th & 5th formers gotwhat was left.  lol,  the way of the 'wild' still exists in every school. Wink
Report Spam   Logged

today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday....is it really been that bad today?

If we can put two men on the moon.....why cant we put the whole lot there? eh?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: