Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 10:27:37 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Creepy Crawlies

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Creepy Crawlies  (Read 1278 times)
Alicat
« on: August 03, 2009, 07:51:46 pm »

I had a horrible moment this morning.

I went outside this morning cut a couple of pieces of Daphne for my bedroom. After I brought it inside and was standing by the kitchen sink putting it in a vase, I felt something tickling the back of my neck. I thought it was a hair but couldn’t seem to move it. I took one last swipe and felt something on my hand so I whacked it to the ground. It was a bloody WETA! – and it was on me!

I gingerly got a piece of paper towel and removed it to a bush outside.

I DO NOT LIKE WETAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Shef
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 08:34:17 pm »

eeewwwwww. Thanks Ali, now I can feel 'things' on me. I hate wetas, and huhu beetles - they fly into my hair *shudders violently* It's like talking about nits, I always have this uncontrollable urge to scratch my head
Report Spam   Logged

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.
ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 11:07:00 pm »

I have overcome my fear of most insects over the years, one does not do the scared female act in front of the kids if you don't want the kids to have irrational fears.

However, large Cockroaches, enormous Grasshoppers(locusts) and Wetas still creep me out.

No way do I want any of them on me.

Anything big buzzing or flapping close to my face scares me, mostly cause I can't see up that close.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Alicat
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 10:38:34 am »

I had a wonderful vege garden when I lived in Newlands in the early 90's. The flower garden was tended by my flatmate (it was at the front of the house) while I tended the vege garden that I had proudly created. I had lovely broccoli, cauliflower, courgettes, silverbeet and beans. It was doing really really well until I spotted a very large Weta IN MY GARDEN! After I found the second and third Weta I reverted to buying from veges from the supermarket or green grocer.

When I had my little moment yesterday, Bailey was sitting on the kitchen bench watching the whole saga. She had a 'wtf' look on her face watching her Mum dancing around the kitchen.
Report Spam   Logged
Shef
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 03:33:58 pm »

I am so grateful that Rusty likes hunting horrible insects. (Well, insects in general he made himself sick on moths one night *blerk*) so if I come inside with any 'hangers-on' I catch on fairly quickly. I just don't like anything that crawls or hangs on, I can handle spiders (small ones) and thats pretty much my lot. Hence Mr. S is fighting a losing battle - I will go over for a holiday but don't know if I can live with the spiders/insects/snakes (sorry in2fx)
Report Spam   Logged

dragontamer
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 04:38:34 pm »

Ewwwwwww - wetas!

Funnily enough I've found that their protection status doesn't do squat for them when they are slammed with a jandal.
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 05:02:45 pm »

Ewwwwwww - wetas!

Funnily enough I've found that their protection status doesn't do squat for them when they are slammed with a jandal.

Years ago I ahd a boss who was horrified when I killed a huge Weta that was standing up on its hind legs challenging me. I ahd already turned the hose on it but cold water didn't do anything so I tipped boiling water over it (I wasn't game to get close enough to stand on it). My boss told me they are a protected species. "I don't give a shit," was my reply. Bloody creepy crawly things.
Report Spam   Logged
Shef
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 08:34:14 pm »

Ewwwwwww - wetas!

Ewwwwwww - wetas!

Years ago I ahd a boss who was horrified when I killed a huge Weta that was standing up on its hind legs challenging me. I ahd already turned the hose on it but cold water didn't do anything so I tipped boiling water over it (I wasn't game to get close enough to stand on it). My boss told me they are a protected species. "I don't give a shit," was my reply. Bloody creepy crawly things.

PMSL  ------ I am not alone
Report Spam   Logged

Alicat
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 10:05:14 am »

PMSL  ------ I am not alone

I guess I should be grateful I didn't ahve a full bladder at the time of the Weta attack
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 06:30:22 pm »

Giant weta's big day out

Big, cuddly creepy-crawly

By HANNAH NORTON - Manukau Courier | 5:00AM - Tuesday, 08 September 2009

BIG GUY: The giant wetapunga crawls on Butterfly Creek manager Paul Barrett’s face. — SHANE WENZLICK/Manukau Courier.

BIG GUY: The giant wetapunga crawls on Butterfly Creek manager
Paul Barrett’s face. — SHANE WENZLICK/Manukau Courier.

Meet the world's biggest weta — and it lives right here in Manukau.

The big creepy-crawly’s getting ready for its big day at the opening of the new exhibition Bugs About at Butterfly Creek in Mangere tomorrow.

Butterfly Creek’s John Dowsett says the wetapunga — a giant weta species found only on Little Barrier Island — is the flagship of the exhibit.

"The wetapunga is the largest weta in the world and one of the heaviest insects. And Butterfly Creek is the only facility in New Zealand with this magnificent insect on display."

The Conservation Department has granted Butterfly Creek the rear-and-release programme for the weta.

Sixteen wetapunga have settled into their new environment and have begun mating and laying eggs.

Tarantula, a giant centipede, mantids, native and introduced cockroaches and a beehive are among the other stars of the new exhibit, Mr Dowsett says.

Children will receive a Bugs About activity sheet and have the chance to win prizes.

• For more information visit ButterflyCreek.co.nz or phone 09 275-8880.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/local-news/manukau-courier/2840953/Giant-wetas-big-day-out
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 01:28:04 pm »

‘Gentle’ giant weta get new home

By DEE WILSON - The Marlborough Express | 12 NOON - Wednesday, 23 September 2009

NESTING INSTINCT?: A giant female weta examines the hair of EcoWorld Aquarium manager Regan Russell. — DEE WILSON/The Marlborough Express.

NESTING INSTINCT?: A giant female weta examines
the hair of EcoWorld Aquarium manager Regan Russell.
— DEE WILSON/The Marlborough Express.

Regan Russell, manager of EcoWorld Aquarium on Picton foreshore loves giant weta.

He has no problem with one climbing up his face and inspecting his hair as they are just "gentle giants," he said.

"They are not like tree weta that have big jaws and tend to bite quite hard."

But he was disconcerted when one weta that was crawling on his face let its feelings known when he removed it.

"It had a little hissing fit close to my ear. It must have liked it there and didn't want to be moved," he said.

Giant weta are defensive rather than aggressive.

If they are really disturbed, they raise their legs and quickly flick them down in the hope of spiking a predator's face.

Or they choose the option of lying on their backs and playing dead.

Department of Conservation officer Mike Aviss of the Sounds area office dropped off five breeding pairs of Cook Strait giant weta at the aquarium on Monday evening.

They came from from Stephens Island, which is off the tip of d'Urville Island in the Marlborough Sounds.

The aquarium has a special enclosure so people can see the weta in their burrows and Mr Russell hopes they will breed.

Giant weta mainly eat plants in nature, but will consume insects as well.

In captivity, they have been known to eat ox heart, dog sausage and even carrots, Mr Russell said. Mr Aviss had earlier taken another five breeding pairs of the giant weta to Tui Nature Reserve in Pelorus Sound.

Ellen Plaisier of the reserve said they were thrilled to get them and they too hoped they would breed in their enclosure that is full of native plants, half-rotten logs and forest litter.

Weta is from the Maori name of wetapunga, which was given to the giant weta.

Wetapunga translates roughly as "God of ugly things".

http://www.stuff.co.nz/marlborough-express/news/2893999/Gentle-giant-weta-get-new-home
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
dragontamer
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 10:26:28 pm »

What sort of freaken headcase lets the ferkers stand on their face?

Blardy freaks.
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 11:35:12 am »

I don't have a problem with wetas.
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
Shef
Senator
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2009, 09:31:03 pm »

What sort of freaken headcase lets the ferkers stand on their face?

Blardy freaks.

Hear hear
Report Spam   Logged

ssweetpea
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2009, 10:21:23 pm »

I don't kill them on sight but I am not a huge fan and do move them well away from where I want to be with the aid of a paper and jar.

They are nicer than cockroaches but that isn't saying allot.
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: