Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 11:30:39 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Transporting Prisoners

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Transporting Prisoners  (Read 304 times)
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« on: January 27, 2009, 07:33:41 am »

Double murderer Graeme Burton and other high-security inmates have been deemed too dangerous for new contractors to transport to court, so guards have been called in instead.

Guards say they are better placed to do the work but are questioning why taxpayers have to pay twice for the service.

Burton, 38, is facing fresh charges of trying to kill a fellow inmate with a knife in Auckland Prison at Paremoremo last month. He and other notorious high-security inmates, some caught up in the alleged 12-member P-dealing ring from Paremoremo and Spring Hill prisons, were taken to court last week by Corrections guards.

Last year Danish contractors First Security 2008 bought the contract to transport all Auckland prisoners to and from court.

This followed Chubb, the firm that operated the van in which Auckland youth Liam Ashley was murdered, saying that it wanted to relinquish the contract.

The guards' union is questioning why Corrections does not seem to have faith in the contractors.

"It's not like it's a surprise that they've got prisoners like this," Corrections Association president Beven Hanlon said. "There's only one maximum-security prison in the country and it's in Auckland.

"What it says to me is that a private company just can't cope with the job that we do."

Burton who is serving a minimum 26-year life sentence for murdering Wainuiomata father Karl Kuchenbecker in January 2007 while on parole for a previous murder has been under heavy guard during his court appearances.

Mr Hanlon said guards were better placed to do the work but he questioned why taxpayers were effectively paying for the job twice.

"If we're going to pay them for it, then they should do it. I don't disagree that we should be doing it, I just don't think we should be paying for it twice."

Corrections assistant northern regional manager Jeanette Burns said the department assessed the transport of all high-security or high-risk prisoners.

Guards transported a small number of Auckland prisoners to ensure public safety.

"The staff members involved in this case work with the prisoners being transported on a day-to-day basis and are familiar with them," she said.

Last year 38,000 prisoners were transported to and from court in Auckland, compared with just 9000 elsewhere in the country.

The contract for this Auckland-based work will be renewed in June. The department has called for tenders.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/4829990a11.html?source=RSStopstories_20090127

Im surprised to read this .. in my experience  Cry  A prisoner must be handcuffed to a waist restraint when being carted round the country.  (I was in fact very lucky, my guards knew I was no worry and allowed me to travel unfettered)

Even those who escaped from the prison van in Hamilton a week or so ago - got me beat how they manage to get out of the van, even if the back gates fall open.  There is a screaming alarm that sets off as soon as the gates open and if the prisoners are cuffed to waist restraints which are then attached to the inside of the van the scrotes cant get away.

Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: