Xtra News Community 2
March 29, 2024, 09:56:02 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Carols mummy wont be happy

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Carols mummy wont be happy  (Read 170 times)
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« on: February 05, 2009, 01:10:15 pm »

The daughter of former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher has been axed by a BBC television show after she made an offensive "off-air" remark, the corporation has confirmed.

According to reports in the British media, Carol Thatcher referred to a tennis player as a "golliwog" back stage during the filming of The One Show last Thursday.

The remark was made about a male tennis player taking part in the Australian Open tournament in Melbourne.

The term is an offensive word for black people used in several countries.

She was immediately challenged about her gaffe but dismissed it as a "joke."

The BBC said it considered "any language of a racist nature wholly unacceptable," before adding that it had hoped Thatcher, 55, would issue an unconditional apology but she had declined to do so.

The remark is thought to have upset a number of people on the show, with one BBC spokesman quoted by The Times newspaper as saying: "We will no longer be working with Carol Thatcher on The One Show."

However, the corporation said on its Web site that she would not be banned from the BBC as a whole.

Thatcher's agent is now demanding an apology from the BBC, the corporation reported Wednesday.

Meanwhile, Thatcher's spokesman told The Times Wednesday that she made the remark in a conversation with the show's presenter Adrian Chiles back stage. "Carol never intended any racist comment," he said.

"She made a light aside about this tennis player and his similarity to the golliwog on the jam pot when she was growing up. There's no way, obviously, that she would condone any racist comment -- we would refute that entirely. It would not be in her nature to do anything like that.

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/02/04/carol.thatcher.bbc.sacked/index.html?iref=mpstoryview
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

bump head benny
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 01:20:39 pm »

Thatchers son isnt much to write home about either...last time I heard he was caught in Africa with some mercenaries who were after Mugabe?
Report Spam   Logged

Lets kill all the warmongers.
Crusader
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 01:39:21 pm »

Mercs after Mugabe??

And the problem is?Huh
Report Spam   Logged
wgtngirl
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 01:58:43 pm »

Mercs after Mugabe??

And the problem is?Huh

LOL....no problem at all.
Report Spam   Logged
Magpie
Part-Of-The-Furniture Member

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 02:31:43 pm »

Mark Thatcher, sorry, SIR Mark Thatcher, having inherited the title from his pater, was involved, amongst other shady dealings, in an attempt to overthrow the government of Equatorial Guinea.

I don't think he was ever after Mugabe. That sounds too much like hard work.

The Iron Lady must be really proud of her offspring, though by all accounts she is too gaga to notice much these days. She keeps wandering around looking for Denis.....
Report Spam   Logged

I have nothing to declare but my genius - Oscar Wilde at US Customs
bump head benny
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 02:46:16 pm »

Thats why I had a question mark after his name, I knew it was some kind of merc ops over that way.
my bad.
Report Spam   Logged

Magpie
Part-Of-The-Furniture Member

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 03:02:57 pm »

Actually overthrowing Mugabe would have been far more value. He could have set himself up for life as King Mark I and had a regular supply of dusky virgins.....
Report Spam   Logged

I have nothing to declare but my genius - Oscar Wilde at US Customs
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 05:42:38 pm »

THE Queen apologised last night after The Sun revealed she has been selling gollies.

The controversial black-faced dolls — condemned as racist — have been available at an official gift shop for a year.

Shocked royal aides instantly ordered the gollies be removed from shelves at the Queen’s Sandringham estate in Norfolk after we told them.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/royals/article2206808.ece
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
bump head benny
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 08:01:55 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: