Xtra News Community 2
March 28, 2024, 09:58:33 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

Some questions for the mountaineers

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some questions for the mountaineers  (Read 959 times)
Jodes
Bloody-Good Member

« on: February 05, 2009, 08:42:57 am »

My husband has mentioned he would like to climb to the Mueller Hut....can anyone give me an idea of what is involved in getting there?
Bascially I want to know what fitness level would be required...how long it will take....what gear would be needed....danger level etc? Of course we would have a guide and I could probably call Charlie at The Mountaineers Cafe to find all this out but I figured some of you, especially KiwiTJ would be able to give us some ideas first.
Report Spam   Logged

Jody

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 02:02:24 pm »

It isn't technical mountaineering most of the time (although in late autumn, winter and early spring it can be), but it is a huge altitude gain, is bloody steep and you do need to be fairly sure-footed, especially coming down where if you slip in the wrong place, the results can be rather serious. You also need to have a few clues about keeping to the marked route (the upper part of it is a route, not a track). There have been two cases in the past year where overseas tourists lost the route on the way back down and headed down the wrong way, then fell a vast distance down towards the Mueller Glacier a couple of thousand feet below. Neither of them survived it. I'm not trying to put your hubby off it or anything, but he DOES need to be aware that it isn't a casual stroll in the park.

Charlie Hobbs would be able to fill you in with a lot more information about it, or you could go to the Department of Conservation website and search for Mueller Hut route. There is probably a lot of useful info on there somewhere.

http://www.doc.govt.nz/

Or, check out the following webpages on the DOC website (the second one has links to a route brochure in two parts)....

http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/tracks-and-walks/canterbury/aoraki-area/mueller-hut-route/track-description/

http://www.doc.govt.nz/publications/parks-and-recreation/tracks-and-walks/canterbury/mueller-hut-route/
Report Spam   Logged
Jodes
Bloody-Good Member

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 04:46:18 pm »

Thanks KiwiTJ....we'll probably chat to Charlie about it this year and perhaps think about doing some sort of climbing next year.
Report Spam   Logged

Jody
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 09:33:57 pm »

So.....have you read “The Conquest of Mount Cook” by Freda du Faur from cover to cover yet? 

Has it put any ideas into your head of hiring an alpine guide and heading for the top of Aoraki yourself? 
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: