Xtra News Community 2
April 16, 2024, 09:23:58 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

CHOCOLATE WARS: Cadbury's vs Whittaker's

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CHOCOLATE WARS: Cadbury's vs Whittaker's  (Read 4200 times)
Nitpicker1
« on: July 24, 2009, 09:29:29 am »

What gets me about this is that cocoa butter is what you get out of cocoa beans along with cocoa.

By replacing it with palm oil Cadbury's aren't just changing a separate ingredient. They are extracting the cocoa butter and selling it as a byproduct, it is worth quite a bit, and replacing the amount needed with a cheaper vegetable fat i.e. plam oil.

Manufacturing Cocoa
High quality cocoa powder must be easily dissolved and have good flavor. The beans used for the manufacture of cocoa are selected especially for this purpose.

After roasting and winnowing (removing the outer shell from the cacao beans) they are ground making cocoa liquor. The heat which is generated melts the cocoa fat thus generating a liquor, and sometimes additional heating is employed. The liquor hardens to unsweetened chocolate when it cools below 95 degrees F / 35 degrees C.

Pressure is employed to the cocoa liquid (while slightly heated) to remove some of the fat which is also called cocoa butter. The remaining cocoa solids contains 10-25% cocoa butter depending on brand. The solids are then ground to cocoa powder.
http://www.cacaoweb.net/manufacturing-cocoa.html

The seeds of the cacao tree have an intense bitter taste, and must be fermented to develop the flavor.

After fermentation, the beans are dried, cleaned, and roasted, and the shell is removed to produce cacao nibs. The nibs are then ground and liquified, resulting in pure chocolate in fluid form: chocolate liquor. The liquor can be further processed into two components: cocoa solids and cocoa butter. Pure, unsweetened chocolate contains primarily cocoa solids and cocoa butter in varying proportions. Much of the chocolate consumed today is in the form of sweet chocolate, combining chocolate with sugar. Milk chocolate is sweet chocolate that additionally contains milk powder or condensed milk. "White chocolate" contains cocoa butter, sugar, and milk but no cocoa solids (and thus does not qualify to be considered true chocolate).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chocolate

By replacing it with palm oil Cadbury's aren't just changing a separate ingredient. They are extracting the cocoa butter and selling it as a byproduct, it is worth quite a bit, and replacing the amount needed with a cheaper vegetable fat i.e. plam oil.
sheesh, we're really being scammed in more ways than one.

I'm gonna boycott the NZ made After Dinner Mints I regularly get from my supermarket, and have a second smoke after my dinner

Buggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: