Xtra News Community 2
March 28, 2024, 09:06:48 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

FISH ‘N’ CHIPS

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FISH ‘N’ CHIPS  (Read 5999 times)
Kiwithrottlejockey
« on: July 06, 2009, 01:32:59 am »

Fish and chip shop fright

HERALD on SUNDAY | 4:00AM - Sunday, July 05, 2009

FISH & CHIPS

FISH & CHIPS

Next time you're enjoying a classic Kiwi dinner of fish and chips, think twice about what you're eating.

New rules allow the import of frozen fillets of Vietnamese catfish or basa, a super-cheap species farmed in the polluted Mekong Delta.

The move has raised concerns about health and the impact on the New Zealand fishing industry, and renewed debate on the need for compulsory country-of-origin labelling on food.

Basa imports were approved by MAF Biosecurity in the name of free trade and came into force on March 20.

The first major shipment — 15,000kg — was imported by Shore Mariner, one of New Zealand's largest seafood suppliers, in June.

Managing director Gerald Jurie said it had been largely sold to fish and chip shops and producers of ready meals and breadcrumbed fish.

Andrew Talley, of Talley's food group that campaigned against the change, said the fish is grown in the "most putrid and polluted waters anywhere in the world".

"It's harvested with slave labour, with no environmental regulations and no health and safety regulations, which enables them to produce a product at about a third of the cost of New Zealand product."

He said basa was sold as orange roughy, sole, tarakihi and ling in different countries, meaning consumers could be eating it without realising.

New Zealand Federation of Commercial Fishermen president Doug Saunders-Loder feared consumers would choose lower-quality fish because it was cheaper and said it was "ludicrous" to increase competition for Kiwi companies during a recession.

The World Wildlife Fund has concerns about the use of antibiotics and chemicals in basa farms. The potential presence of a toxic chemical called malachite green is a particular worry.

But MAF Biosecurity animal imports team manager Rachelle Linwood said a scientific risk analysis found the fish was safe to import.

"Under rules of international trade you can only not import a product if there's valid scientific reasons to not import it. As long as there's not biosecurity risks associated with it, we have to be able to import it."

The New Zealand Food Safety Authority said basa met the Food Standards Code and Food Act. Spokesman Gary Bowering said the authority could include the fish in a monitoring programmes if there was "sufficient evidence suggesting a food safety and/or suitability problem".

Jurie says people are more likely to fall ill after eating New Zealand fish because of our stringent import regulations.

He said basa was more environmentally sound than hoki, because it's farmed, meaning less damage to the natural marine environment.

Green MP Sue Kedgely said basa imports underlined the need for compulsory country-of-origin labelling on food.

"Voluntary labelling ends up as like a marketing tool for producers," she said. "If it's in their interest to say something's from New Zealand, they'll tell us, but if it's Vietnamese catfish they'll keep it from us. It's quite outrageous."

TASTE TEST

It might not be much to look at, but how does it taste?

Gerald Jurie of Shore Mariner, the company behind the first major import of frozen Vietnamese catfish fillets to New Zealand, says it's a cross between butterfish and orange roughy.

"It's a white, moist fillet of fish with no bones."

None of the fish and chip shop owners in Auckland we spoke to said they sold basa.

Neil Kelsey of John Dory's in Herne Bay, uses fresh john dory, tarakihi or snapper and didn't like the sound of the new arrival.

"If it's from fresh water it wouldn't have much flavour and, by the sounds of it, might even have a muddied flavour."

Sear Tang at Herne Bay Fish Mart sells only fresh fish bought from the Auckland Fish Market each morning — usually snapper or tarakihi.

At Happy Takeaways in Westmere, John Lowe offers frozen hoki and more expensive snapper and tarakihi.

In our unscientific newsroom taste test, most people preferred tarakihi and snapper, but couldn't tell much difference between them.

The hoki was a clear loser, but at $2.50 for one fillet versus $5.50 for a piece of tarakihi at John Dory's, perhaps you get what you pay for.

—————————————————————————

• 15,000 — The number of kilograms of Vietnamese catfish imported into New Zealand in one shipment in June.

• 42 — The number of countries that import Vietnamese catfish.

• $6.50 — The reported wholesale per-kilo price of Vietnamese catfish.

• $11.50 — The reported minimum wholesale per-kilo price of NZ fish.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10582550&pnum=0
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 01:36:44 am »

I never ask for just plain “fish” or “battered fish” these days.

I only purchase fish & chips from shops that actually give you a choice of different varieties of NZ-caught fish and also give you the option of having it crumbed. Most times, I ask for Blue Cod if it is available.

As for Vietnamese Catfish.....YUK!!!  Angry
Report Spam   Logged
Magoo
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 06:50:36 am »

Who would have ever imagined that in the land of milk and honey there would also be Vietnamese catfish.
Report Spam   Logged
Alicat
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 03:33:50 pm »

Our local Fish N Chip Shop is the current titleholder for Best Fish N Chip Shop in NZ.

AND ....
they deliver.

Their crumbed fillets are crumbed fresh in front of you. The meal NEVER tastes fatty and there is no 'after taste' or 'after feeling.' We are very lucky.
Report Spam   Logged
Shef
Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 07:59:56 pm »

AND ....
they deliver

How far.
 I haven't had F&C for months. I might treat myself this week, at the moment, the only takeaways I consider are 'Noodle Canteen - heaps of veg, cooked to perfection, and on the rare occasion - Subway. Though I find it cheaper to get a couple of 'reduced' items at the deli and make my own.
Report Spam   Logged

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.
Lovelee
XNC2 GOD

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 05:51:58 pm »

If Im buying fish & chips I ask what fish they have first, often they will have a 'processed' one - and a fresh one.  Fresh for me please  Wink

I will watch for these though, I see a lot of chinese scallops in the scallops .. they have the pale grey colouring where ours are orange.
Report Spam   Logged

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you've got a really nasty case of syphilis, in which case penicillin is your best bet.
Alicat
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 05:01:18 pm »

AND ....
they deliver

How far.
 I haven't had F&C for months. I might treat myself this week, at the moment, the only takeaways I consider are 'Noodle Canteen - heaps of veg, cooked to perfection, and on the rare occasion - Subway. Though I find it cheaper to get a couple of 'reduced' items at the deli and make my own.

Possibly not THAT far.

Their crumbed fillets are usually a choice of Tarakihi, Orange Roughy and Groper. They used to have Blue Nose but haven't had that for ages.
Report Spam   Logged
ssweetpea
Senator
Absolutely Fabulously Incredibly Shit-Hot Member

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 09:24:50 am »

Our local F&C shop doesn't use processed fish. Usually it is Tarakihi, not that we have it very often. Frozen fillets (preformed or not) and oven backed chips are a more regular treat. Not even that is once a week anymore.

However if you are down in Hastings may I recommend the takeaway in Mayfield Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

The way politicians run this country a small white cat should have no problem http://sally4mp.blogspot.com/
Magoo
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 09:44:14 am »

The best fish and chips we ever had was at Porkys Takeaways, Weld Street, Hokitika.      We parked at the beach and spent a lot of time saying  Mmmmmmmm.
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 11:03:10 am »

However if you are down in Hastings may I recommend the takeaway in Mayfield Tongue

Ummmm....would that be Mayfair?
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 11:05:56 am »

I can't say for certain they are the best I have ever had, but the fish & chips (and other seafood, including whitebait fritters) from The Cray Pot (an old-fashioned pie-cart-style establishment) at Jacksons Bay right down the bottom of South Westland (half-an-hour drive off the main SH6 south of Haast) would definitely be right up there in the quality and yummy stakes.
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 01:10:42 pm »

Searching for the best fish and chips

NZPA | 12 NOON - Tuesday, 28 July 2009

A record number of fish and chip shops of have entered this year's competition to find the country's best chippie.

More than 800 shops — double last year year's figure — have entered, with still a week to go before registrations close, Chip Group chairwoman Glenda Gourley said today.

"The stakes have risen this year, with so many shops in the running for the grand national title and now is the time for chippies to make sure they're following best frying practices," Ms Gourley said.

Public text voting runs from August 01 to September 30 and mystery judging will be carried out in October with the regional and Grand National winners announced early in November.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/2681541/Searching-for-the-best-fish-and-chips
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 03:35:55 pm »

Best chips in the land

By CARALISE MOORE - Rodney Times | 5:00AM - Tuesday, 03 November 2009

NUMBER ONE: Oceanz Silverdale is the top chip shop in the country and manager Paul Francis is chuffed.

NUMBER ONE: Oceanz Silverdale is the top chip shop
in the country and manager Paul Francis is chuffed.

Rodney has the best chip shop in New Zealand — and that's no exaggeration.

Oceanz Silverdale won the nation-wide That's Life! Best Chip Shop competition, beating 800 other stores.

Stillwater resident and shop manager Paul Francis says he is chuffed with the win.

"The chips won because we do everything right — from using the right temperatures, to the right fats and chips. We clean the vats every day. Having really fresh fish like Oceanz does makes a big difference. It takes a little longer to prepare, but it's worth it."

Paul's wife Loraine works at Oceanz Albany, who also made the regional finals.

"There's good competition between us about it. We won this round," says Paul.

Chips were judged on a combination of public text voting, mystery judging and chip fat analysis, as well as chip freshness and colour, shop cleanliness and customer service. The six regional winners and grand national winner were then chosen by a panel of judges.

The six Oceanz stores Auckland-wide are owned by Matakana resident Craig Dawson. Oceanz also has one franchised store in Warkworth.

"We are proud of the win — Paul does well and works hard. It's all kudos to the team."

Oceanz Silverdale are celebrating their five-year anniversary this weekend with store specials.

The store on the corner of State Highway 1 and East Coast Bays Rd, next to Plant Barn, is open Sunday to Thursday, 10am to 6.30pm, Friday and Saturday, 10am to 7pm.

Other Rodney stores that made the regional finals include Oceanz Warkworth, Kippers Orewa, Ripples Cafe on the Marina at Gulf Harbour and Grand Takeaway, Orewa.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/local-news/rodney-times/3023108/Best-chips-in-the-land
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 01:04:33 pm »

Scoop — it's the great Kiwi chip scandal

By ANNA RUSHWORTH - HERALD on SUNDAY | 4:00AM - Sunday, April 11, 2010

A scoop of chips from The Fish Pot Cafe, Auckland. — Photo: Herald on Sunday.
A scoop of chips from The Fish Pot Cafe, Auckland.
 — Photo: Herald on Sunday.

It's as Kiwi as kiwifruit: walking home in winter munching on chips from a paper package.

But chips are not all created equal, and there are no rules as to how many chips you will get in a scoop.

Industry organisation The Chip Group, formed to promote "best practice frying" in New Zealand, recommends a single serving of chips should be 330g.

The Chip Group's members include Potatoes NZ, the Heart Foundation, manufacturers like Mr Chips and McCain, as well as oil, kitchenware, service and packaging companies.

Yet a trip to six Auckland fish and chip shops found several surprises in quantity and the amount being sold by weight.

Of the six shops visited, Oceanz Seafood in Northcote delivered the biggest scoop: 85 chips, weighing a healthy 480g. (Though whether deep-fried chips can ever be entirely healthy is a moot point.)

The least generous serving was from the award-winning Ponsonby Fresh Fish and Chip Company on Ponsonby Road.

There, a single scoop for $2.50 gave 52 chips and weighed in 30g short at 300g.

Ponsonby shop owner Chun Bian said her staff used a scoop to measure their chips and tried to keep to a consistent level for each serve.

A single portion of chips at Remuera Fisheries was the same weight and cost but contained 61 chips.

Owner Bob Lovett said he was surprised to be underweight, and said the store had been using the same metal chip scoop that came with the business when he bought it 14 years ago.

"Different people will obviously weigh up the scoop differently. We've never had anybody ring up and say, ‘You've not given me enough chips’."

Lovett said it was more common for people to ask for fewer chips rather than more.

Mission Bay institution The Fish Pot Cafe also weighed under with a single scoop weighing 310g. Derek Drummond has owned the business for 22 years and claimed his scoop would be well over 330g, but the cooking process made the chips lighter.

He added that despite buying their chips fresh every day, they were having trouble with supply and were receiving chips made from white potatoes instead of yellow.

"At this time of the year we just have to take what's delivered to us. For the purist the yellow chip does cook better."

All but one of the shops charged $2.50 for a scoop. The Mount Eden Village Fish shop charged $6 for their 610g serve.

However, several of the chips were dark and hard to chew. Owner Mario Dean admitted the multi-award-winning chip shop was suffering from a bad stock of pre-made chips from their supplier.

He said he was waiting for another supply, but if that wasn't good enough he would look for a different company to supply the shop.

Chef Paul Jobin said there was more to cooking a chip then just dunking it in the deep fryer. He says fish and chip shops should keep their oil clean and invest in an oil filter.

Jobin said he was a fan of the hand-cut chip; however, the majority of shops used pre-made chips that went into the deep fryer still frozen. "The chip's got to have a bit of meatiness to it; they've got to be really hot and really crisp."

Andrew Brown, executive chef at The George Hotel in Christchurch, recently opened the Burgers and Beer pub. He said chips should have standards similar to those for beef and lamb.

"There should be more of a quality level in the industry."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10637658&pnum=0
Report Spam   Logged

pantherrr0
Senator
Bloody-Good Member

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 09:56:30 pm »

Om noM nOm Nom !
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 12:53:42 am »

Major scoop: portion size does matter

By CHARLIE GATES - The Press | 5:00AM - Tuesday, 01 June 2010

TASTES GOOD: Ellen Gray got a good scoop of chips last night with her fish and pineapple ring from City Fish and Chips shop. — DON SCOTT/The Press.
TASTES GOOD: Ellen Gray got a good scoop of
chips last night with her fish and pineapple ring from
City Fish and Chips shop. — DON SCOTT/The Press.

Does size matter when it comes to a scoop of chips?

Christchurch fish-and-chip shops have backed calls to standardise the size of a scoop.

The Chip Group, which comprises industry figures from potato growers to government agencies, has called for a standard scoop to weigh 330 grams before it is cooked.

The Chip Group chairwoman Glenda Gourley said portion sizes could vary wildly.

"When a consumer walks into a chip shop they don't know what quantity to expect," she said.

"Not only will consumers be better off, but chip-shop operators will also be able to better account for the finance side of their businesses if they know more accurately what they are serving."

In Christchurch, a random test of four shops found that scoops varied from 275g to 425g, while the cost varied from $2 to $2.20.

Lyttelton Fisheries served the 425g portion, while a scoop from City Fish and Chips weighed 275g.

Theo's Fisheries manager Yiannis Ioannou supported the standardised scoop.

The Riccarton Road retailer does not have a standardised portion.

"That would be a good idea because when you have a set amount you can save a few sacks of spuds a week.

"It would keep it fair for customers," Ioannou said. "We try to keep it as fair as possible, but on a Friday night rush you just scoop it in quickly."

City Fish and Chips manager and co-owner Lou Donaggio also supported the standard scoop size.

"A standardised scoop size would be fairer on people, rather than having one place giving you four chips and another giving you 10."

Donaggio said customers wanted tasty chips, but also good value for money.

Lyttelton Fisheries manager Helen Lei said the shop had no standard scoop size.

But portions usually weighed about 350g before cooking.

Connoisseur Ellen Gray said she was happy with the two scoops of chips, pineapple ring and piece of fish she ordered from City Fish and Chips last night.

"We had a good amount."

"Maybe even too much, but we ate them," Gray said.

"They were good."

Gray said the outlet had been her "local" for about two years.

Gourley said a standard scoop size would be healthier for customers.

"In this day of increased dietary awareness by consumers, it makes sense that customers know exactly what they are getting," she said.

The organisation plans to inform chip shops of the recommended portion size.

It also intends to tell them where they can buy the standard scoop.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/3760244/Major-scoop-portion-size-does-matter

1 STUFF website reader's comment posted in reply to the above news article....

Vic — #1  09:47pm — June 02 2010

I think this is ridiculous — if I want a standard scoop I will go an eat at McDonald's or KFC.
I love the variety of size and taste — part of the joy of eating fish and chips.
How many chips is 350g anyway? Kill this before it gets any further.

‘Scoop of chips’ far from standard

By MATT RILKOFF - Taranaki Daily News | Tuesday, 01 June 2010

Calls to standardise the size of a scoop of hot chips could hit New Plymouth's chip lovers in the stomach.

The Chip Group, an organisation of key chip industry figures from potato farmers to oil makers, has called for takeaway shops to start using a standard 330-gram scoop when serving up chips.

It is seen as way of ensuring portion sizes are consistent and consumers get what they pay for.

But in New Plymouth the introduction of a standard 330g serve could see chip munchers getting less than they already do.

Two of the three specialty fish and chip shops sampled yesterday sold scoops in excess of 330g when cooked.

At Flying Dragon in Westown it cost $2.50 for a scoop of chips which netted the eater 518g of deep-fried potato.

In Moturoa, the Port Fish Shop was selling 341g of chips for the same price and in Strandon, Snappers wrapped up 281g of chips for their $2.90 scoop.

The Chip Group chairwoman, Glenda Gourley, said she did not know many other food or beverage products where the consumer did not know exactly how much they were getting when they bought it.

"When a customer walks into a chip shop they don't know what quantity to expect."

"We've moved to create some clarity around that by recommending that chip shops use a standard scoop that measures 330g of uncooked chips."

"Not only will consumers be better off but chip shop operators will also be able to better account for the finance side of their businesses if they know more accurately what they are serving," she said.

With Kiwis chomping through about seven million servings of chips each week, the Chip Group believe there is a strong health component to standardising portion sizes.

"In this day of increased dietary awareness by consumers it makes sense that chip shop customers know exactly what they are getting," Ms Gourley said.

No calls have been made to standardise the size of a "scoop" of chips served up at fast food outlets like McDonald's and Kentucky Fried Chicken.

Fast food chip portions are smaller than their fish shop counterparts

A medium sized fries at McDonalds on Leach Street in New Plymouth cost $2.50 and weighed in at 95g.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/taranaki-daily-news/news/3760375/Scoop-of-chips-far-from-standard

On the trail of a hot scoop

By BEN STANLEY - Waikato Times | 5:00AM - Saturday, 05 June 2010

Chips Scoop Size!

There are few people who take their love of chips as seriously as me.

Chips have been there for me when finances, women and rock'n'roll haven't. A scoop could always bring a smile to my face.

They've been part of my best memories, from the Deep South to South Auckland, but they've been at my side during the bad times too, that cheap unreliable meal that fills your belly and costs just pocket shrapnel.

So when debate began to swirl this week about standardising scoop sizes (to a very reasonable 330g), my heart, labouring slightly after years of cheap salty snacks, stirred into action.

The task was as simple as it was difficult — find the best and biggest scoop in Hamilton.

Six greasie joints. Six scoops. Three hours. A monstrous task, even for the most hardened chip lovers.

Indeed, there are few times in the history of photo-journalism that two correspondents have put their bodies on the line as much as I and Times photographer Katrina Bieleski did this week.

Ranging from the very soggy (Queenwood Takeaways) to the very crispy (Glenview Takeaways), we scoured the city, finding the best deal you can find wrapped in yesterday's news.

Home to the biggest scoop of the Waikato Times survey, at a whopping 550 grams, was Seafood Bazaar's Mahana Road outlet, contrasted to Glenview's tiny, yet perfectly formed, 220g.

Seafood Bazaar at Mahana Road certainly takes great pride in making a good chip from the packet to the wrapping.

The store's scoops are cooked in two vats used exclusively for chips and are cleaned out daily, while the chips themselves are deep-fried in pure cottonseed oil.

"I know a lot of places don't change the oil," assistant manager Wilhelmina Crossman said, without naming names.

One scoop costs $2.50, and is aimed at feeding two adults, while a smaller serving can be requested, as well as how well customers want their chips cooked.

"We get little old ladies coming in only really wanting a handful or so, and we do that, charging them 50 cents," she said.

"It's all the little things you have to remember," she said.

"When you do it everyday it becomes a routine, but there are many little things that come together, like the time in the oil and the right amount of salt, that make a good chip."

Glenda Gourley, chairwoman of the Chip Group, would appreciate the care Seafood Bazaar take.

The Chip Group was founded six years ago by key national chip industry figures from potato farmers to oil makers, with one goal: improving the health factor of your typical Kiwi chip.

The Chip Group wants scoop sizes to be standardised to an even 330g, a size fair for greasie shops and hungry customers.

"Chips are the only food in New Zealand where you don't know what size meal you're going to get when you order it," Ms Gourley said.

"From a consumer's perspective, you never know how much you need. If it's not enough, you just feel like you need more, but if it's too much, you just feel revolting and sick."

"We want to make eating chips a good experience."

The calls to make a standard scoop are just the beginning of a push by the Chip Group to create better, healthier fried spuds, with campaigns for chip shops to have better oil, cleaner vats and less salt soon to be announced.

"We know chips are here to stay so let's make them as good for people as we can," Ms Gourley said.

Ms Gourley described the Chip Group's vision for the future of Kiwi chips — a thicker cut in the standardised scoop, with salt in a sachet so people can choose how salty their spuds are.

It's a vision I'm proud to share.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times/news/3779970/On-the-trail-of-a-hot-scoop
Report Spam   Logged

Alicat
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2010, 09:23:07 pm »

I had freshly cooked oysters for tea tonight from my local FishnChip shop - they were delicious.

I fancied fish and chips last week when we had very heavy rain last week - I couldn't be bothered going out, but the great thing is - our local DELIVERS!
Report Spam   Logged
Magoo
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2010, 09:20:55 am »

Lucky you having deliveries.   We are doing the rounds of the fish and chipperies around here at the moment because our usual one has started to cut the fish too thin and the batter too thick.  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2010, 02:49:02 pm »

I've got a fish & chips shop only 1½ minutes walk from my place that is also a chinese takeaway. Their fish & chips are absolute crap and I wouldn't even consider feeding their culinary garbage to a dog. Surprisingly, they seem to be popular (they are on SH.2).

Another 1½ minutes walk past that place is another fish & chips place that knocks out fish & chips that are to die for. It used to be owned by a Maori chap who was also a commercial fisherman and the food was excellent when he ran it, but he sold it to a young Chinese couple three years ago and even though there was nothing wrong with the food before, they have actually improved on it. You don't merely ask for fish in that shop....they have a menu showing all the different varieties of fresh fish they have in stock (it's always fresh) and the price per piece either battered or crumbed. I usually go for either the Blue Cod or the Snapper, and always crumbed. They also deliver (the previous owner also used to deliver), but as I live only three minutes walk away I've never used their delivery service. If you're ever passing through Masterton, they're called Mac's Fish Supply and they are in Queen Street (the main shopping street) towards the north end of town.
Report Spam   Logged

Magoo
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2010, 07:38:21 pm »

Good fish and chip shops deserve a free plug.
Report Spam   Logged
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2010, 01:35:42 pm »

Champagne fish batters wallet

By PETER CALDER - HERALD on SUNDAY | 4:00AM - Sunday, July 04, 2010

Moet-battered fish!
Chef Ben Dodd oversees staff mixing his Moet Champagne batter
at The Fish Kitchen Restaurant. — Photo: Herald on Sunday.

One piece of snapper and a scoop of chips? That'll be $38.50.

That's ordinary snapper. And the chips are made from ordinary potatoes. But the batter will batter your wallet into submission at the Fish Kitchen in Auckland's Parnell.

Owner Ben Dodd mixes up his special coating with Moet et Chandon, one of the world's top-selling champagnes.

The lovely bubbly retails for about $90 a bottle and a fillet of snapper, dipped in the luxury liquid before being deep-fried, will set you back a cool $35.

"It's something that you should try once a year," said Dodd hopefully, before dialling back the recommendation to once in a lifetime.

Champagne, he said, is the ideal drink with fish and chips — "a rich man's drink with poor man's food" — because of the way the dryness and the bubbles complement the oiliness. Local bubbles such as Lindauer are too sweet, he said.

One of the kitchen staff, responding to a challenge to "think outside the box", came up with the "bloody good" idea and although it hasn't exactly set the leafy inner-city suburb alight — he's sold "four or five" pieces since opening in April — he said it's early days yet.

Dodd has worked in the wholesale fish market in the UK where his customers included chefs Gordon Ramsay and Marco Pierre White.

He gutted and refurbished the premises formerly known as The Fishmonger and installed windows that tilt like garage doors so the place seems like a sidewalk cafe.

Dodd has made a policy of employing full-time staff off the Work and Income register — which he reckons has paid off handsomely.

"It's not exactly Jamie Oliver's Fifteen," he said, referring to the British chef's four restaurants which employ only disadvantaged young people.

"But they are gaining skills and they are getting more confident every day. They are proud of what they are learning and serving up, and I am bloody confident in what they have achieved."

Boutique items fill the cabinets and fresh fish is available by the kilo. But he'd like to see the punters lining up for his luxury feed too.

The recipe is nothing complicated: he cracks a 375ml half-bottle of Moet and uses about 150ml of it to whisk with flour. The batter, like his ordinary version, which contains soda water, is left to stand for 15 minutes before use.

"If I ever get my liquor licence, when you order it, you will get to drink the rest of the bottle with the fish," he said. "It will be included in the price. That was always the idea."

And the Herald on Sunday verdict: the champagne definitely makes a fluffy batter that crisps up beautifully and has a pronounced, slightly mustardy tang.

It's fish like you've never had it before — but at that price it would want to be.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=10656342

Top-Shelf Tucker!
Report Spam   Logged

beaker
Senator
Part-Of-The-Furniture Member

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2010, 09:33:43 pm »

They had a few pieces on Breakfast the other day for the presenters to try.  Peter Williams was not impressed... he complained it was too greasy.
Report Spam   Logged

This job is a test . . . It is only a test . . . Had this been a real job . . . it would have come with raises, promotions and other signs of appreciation!!!
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2010, 04:30:26 pm »

150 years of fish and chips

By IAN STUART - NZPA | 2:44PM - Thursday, 04 November 2010

FISH & CHIPS

FISH AND CHIPS, the takeaway meal beloved of generations of New Zealanders, celebrates its 150th milestone this month.

London 13-year-old Joseph Malin is usually credited with dreaming up the idea of selling chips and battered fish to the poor of the West End.

Others give credit to British entrepreneur John Lees, saying he began the craze when he started selling fish and chips out of a wooden hut. Yet another theory is that chips were introduced as a substitute for fish — rather than as an accompaniment — and in 1839 British novelist Charles Dickens referred to a ‘fried fish warehouse’ in Oliver Twist.

Whatever the origin, New Zealanders chomp their way through about seven million servings of chips a week, or about 120,000 tonnes a year.

While Britain celebrates the 150th anniversary of the once greasy takeaway, it is not clear when fish and chips arrived in New Zealand.

FISH & CHIPS

Chips were once a heavily fat-laden and greasy dish but were getting better through improved cooking practices, Chip Group chairwoman Glenda Gourley said.

The group worked with chip shop operators and the hospitality sector to develop industry standards and online training, helping to perfect cooking techniques and improve the nutritional status and quality of chips.

The group included representation from the Heart Foundation and government agencies.

The foundation said chips would never be a healthy food, but the group aimed at minimising the health harm.

Foundation food industry nutritionist Judith Morley-John, said chips should be an "occasional" food, eaten perhaps only once a month.

Cooking practices made a difference to the fat content of chips and people should look for takeaway bars and chip shops that followed best cooking practices and industry standards.

"We want consumers to look for those training certificates on the wall of takeaway shops and chose operators who have done the training."

New Zealanders ate seven million serves of chips a week, so some people were eating far more than was good for them, she said.

Those eating two or three servings a week were doing themselves a disservice.

"They are a high-fat food and we eat too much saturated fat. People have got to be responsible for making wise decisions," she said.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=10685334
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2011, 09:10:50 pm »

A closer look at fishy deals

By JOANNE CARROLL - HERALD on SUNDAY | 5:30AM - Sunday, January 09, 2011

Fish 'n' Chips. — Photo: Herald on Sunday.

AS YOU wander through the balmy summer evenings, past the rundown looking hole-in-the-wall Chinese takeaways to the place with the flash signs and big plate glass windows, it's worth remembering that the most expensive fish and chips are not always the best.

A Herald on Sunday panel tested fish and chips from a range of takeaways and found price and quality don't always go hand in hand.

A battered piece of gurnard and a scoop of chips costs $9.30 from the Fish Kitchen in Parnell but was given the thumbs down by the panel.

The portion size was small, and I — for one — thought the batter and chips could have been cooked for longer. They were pale and limp.

The Fish Kitchen is also home to the $35 fish and chips meal: snapper battered with Moet Champagne. But this being about summer evening takeaways, we passed on that.

The fush 'n' chups most poorly rated by our panel were also the cheapest: at $3 from the Goodwill Chinese Takeaway in Grey Lynn.

But some panel members argued Goodwill's hoki fillet ($2 on its own) was better than the Fish Kitchen's gurnard ($5.80 on its own).

But I thought the hoki batter was too thick and not cooked all the way through, the fish hidden in a gooey dough. I did think the chips were not too bad, for a $1 scoop.

The fish at Mission Bay's Fish Pot Cafe was tarakihi, which together with a scoop of chips cost $7.60 and was rated third-best — or third-worst. The fish was tasty, although the batter was too greasy for me. The chips were cooked very well and the portion size good.

The famous Mangonui Fish Shop, in the Far North, had the best views of all the eateries trialled. The snapper and chips cost $9.50, but were tasty.

And the dining experience on the jetty overlooking the water was worth it.

Top marks were given to Oceanz Seafood's fish and chips at the Auckland Fish Market, at a price of $7.

The fish of the day was trevally, a delicious meaty fish. The batter was not too thick or greasy and it was cooked perfectly. The chips had a light coating and were by far the best. We had to wait 20 minutes — but it was worth it.

Oceanz' price was second cheapest, proving that the most expensive is not always the best.

THE VERDICT

8/10: Oceanz Seafood, Auckland Fish Market — $7

1/10: Goodwill Chinese Takeaway, Grey Lynn — $3

7/10: The Mangonui Fish Shop, Mangonui — $9.50

3/10: The Fish Kitchen, Parnell — $9.30

6/10: The Fish Pot Cafe, Mission Bay — $7.60

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=10698670
Report Spam   Logged

Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2011, 03:39:32 pm »

Bugger....they produced bloody nice fish & chips too! 

Haitaitai shop gutted by fire

The Dominion Post | last updated @ 5:13PM - Monday, 07 February 2011

TAKEAWAYS: Fire crews battle a fire at a fish and chip shop in Haitaitai. — Photo: KAT FORBES.
TAKEAWAYS: Fire crews battle a fire at a fish and chip shop in Haitaitai. — Photo: KAT FORBES.

A PERSISTANT FIRE at a Hataitai fish and chip shop has been brought under control.

The fire started in the Supremo Takeouts store on Moxham Avenue at about 2.30pm and had been brought under control by 4.30pm, fire spokesman Mike Wanoa said.

"The fire got into the interior walls of the building.”

Wellington City Council building inspectors had earlier been called to the scene.

Apartments are located above the store, but there had been no injuries and everybody had been accounted for.

The fire caused traffic delays in the area.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/4626940/Haitaitai-shop-gutted-by-fire

5 comments from DominionPost.co.nz readers....

Snapper  #1 — 3:25pm

Mean fish burger!

Ben Johns  #2 — 3:47pm

This is an absolute tragedy. I just hope the Bakery is ok.

Burger fan  #3 — 4:17pm

STINK! Best burgers in town. And a Monday night tradition in our house! Curses! Get well soon!!

J.  #4 — 4:59pm

Bugger, those burgers were legendary!!!

Corinna  #5 — 5:07pm

The Hataitai dairy is in the same building so it'd be good to know if that's been damaged? (The bakery is fine, by the way)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: