Xtra News Community 2
March 30, 2024, 03:14:47 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Xtra News Community 2 — please also join our XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP.

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links BITEBACK! XNC2-BACKUP-GROUP Staff List Login Register  

FISH ‘N’ CHIPS

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FISH ‘N’ CHIPS  (Read 6016 times)
Kiwithrottlejockey
Admin Staff
XNC2 GOD

Having fun in the hills!

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2011, 03:32:03 pm »

The best fish and chips?

THE OMNIVORE

By JEREMY TAYLOR - Stuff Lifestyle Blogs | 11:20AM - Friday, 11 November 2011

So Fine SeafoodsSo Fine Seafoods

RECENTLY, on a quick jaunt to Taita in the Hutt Valley, I recalled seeing that there was a fish and chip shop in Avalon that had been the only Wellington area finalist in this year's nationwide "Best Chip Shop" competition. Naturally, I felt compelled to go sample their wares, and report back to you, dear reader, as to whether they were worthy contestants.

I don't actually eat fish and chips all that often, and not because I don't like it, or I am trying to be healthy (pfft!) or anything like that. It's because, to (mis-)quote a phrase — when they are good they are very, very good, but when they are bad they are horrid.

I have had too many bad fish and chip meals to take any chances on them being crappy. And, it would seem, the really great fish and chips are few and far between. Sometimes a place that was good (ahem) jumps the shark. It's a bloody minefield out there...

There are factors to consider. The first is how the place feels when you enter. I reckon a good chipper sort of exudes confidence in what they are doing, that what they are doing is good. The menu is also important — a really good chip shop will have different kinds of fresh fish, and will do them battered or crumbed, to order. They will represent some staples of the oeuvre — the battered hot dog, the pineapple fritter (wrong, but right), the humble potato fritter.

But ultimately, I reckon a chip shop lives or dies on the strength of those two things — their standard, basic fish, and their chips. What do I want from the fish? I want it to be fleshy and moist, with the crispy (not soggy) crumb or batter insulating it against the hot oil (which should be clean and changed regularly). I want the chips to be similarly crispy, but with nice, soft insides. I mean, it shouldn't have to be rocket surgery, but it is still hugely dependent on how much those cooking care about what they do — the freshness of the fish, the cleanliness of the surrounds, their commitment to making great fish and chips.

Thinking back to having fish and chips as a kid, I remember getting to order two "things" — maybe a fish and a hotdog, plus chips. Those things were yours, regardless, so it was in your best interests to eat as many chips as possible before tucking into them. Maybe it is a trick of memory, but I seem to remember a scoop of chips in those days being a vast, towering pile — is a smaller "scoop" employed now?

So how does So Fine Seafoods stack up? Well, it looks pretty immaculate. The exterior is freshly painted and looks slick, which is, of course, not essential, but does inspire confidence. On entering, it looks clean and well maintained. There is no unpleasant odour from the deep fryers, the menu ticks all the boxes, and their many awards for involvement (plus their 2008 victory!) in the Best Chip Shop awards are prominently displayed — fair enough, too.

What turns out to be the business owner, Anthony Cho, takes our order — standard crumbed fish and chips, times two — it comes to just over a tenner, which is great value. They have different types of chips — straight or crinkle cut (crinkle cut chips! YES!). He coats the fish on the spot and throws it in the fryer.

It is served, appetisingly, in a little cardboard box with a lemon wedge and my choice of salt (plain, thanks). There appears to be very little oil escaping from the food — a good sign. It means they have been properly drained.

It is delicious; there is a good reason why this shop has been in business for so long — they are good at what they do, and they care about it. I thank Anthony and ask if I can take some photos. He starts to delve into the politics of the awards and the cut-throat world of top-drawer chippers. It is quite fascinating. Unfortunately, I can't share it here, though — some of it is potentially libellous.

A good fish and chip shop is a great staple, a hub of its community, and one where, if best practices are observed, great food can be served at a very reasonable price. And So Fine Seafoods in Avalon is a shining example of this.

So where is your favourite fish and chip shop? What are your requirements for perfect fish and chips? Where were the best you have ever had, and what made them so good?

Join The Omnivore on Facebook.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/blogs/the-omnivore/5947093/The-best-fish-and-chips

WINNERS OF THE BEST CHIP SHOP COMPETITION 2011
Report Spam   Logged

If you aren't living life on the edge, you're taking up too much space! 

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: